Edouard considering seeing out his contract and leaving on a free next summer

Can you imagine Edouard under their new manager?

From what I have read of Angies style of management, Edouard would down tools immediately. The Australians' gruff and demanding attitude will not go well with some of their foreign superstars.

I get that. I do. My point really is that he didn't try last season and he was still their best player. So I think from that point of view it would probably be good news for us if he left as they will not be able to replace him. Others have a different opinion which is fine.

It's not a great situation for them either way B-D
You present a fair argument

I think neither outcome is positive for them now really

Goes this year. They get much less than the absurd fees their lickspittles in the media bandied around. In truth be lucky to get £12mil tops and won't see all of that now for the current transfer window (paid in installments and contingent on clauses being met). So will not have a great sum to reinvest. Will lack the money, the foresight and the pulling power to attract a similar quality replacement.

Or keep him a year. Lose him for nothing. Make a 9mil loss on his signing. Perhaps keeping a player who isn't motivated to give his best and signs a pre-contract in Jan where he really downs tools.

Like being asked do you want a kick in the left nut or the right.

Neither is appealing.

From fake £50mil valuations to this

Mixed feelings if true

would be funny to see him go for nothing but they are a weaker team with him not there . I’d rather he just left . Knowing our luck he will sign a 1 year extension
Will be glad to see him go, he’s the best striker they’ve got and they will struggle to replace him (personally I would say he’s the best striker in the league)

As much as I hate to see them making any money considering the money that PSG are due for any potential transfer, the sooner he’s off the better

This should be a massive warning to us. You should never let promising/expensive players enter their last 12 months. Not only do you risk this happening, you end up with far smaller fees. I'm not saying our players would do this but it is still a risk.

I hope this happens, why would anyone want them to get £8-10 million after everyone else gets their cut. That would give them some desperately needed money to get players in.

If this happens it would be a massive financial hole in their accounts and they wouldn't be able to buy better players. He'll be their best player but the overall quality of the squad would dip, as they can't invest his fee in players.

Basically a £10-12 million hole in their accounts that they won't be able to fill without selling McGregor, Turnbull, etc.

It should be added he'll be at the Olympics so he won't be able to help them in champions league qualifiers, start of the league campaign, will have to self isolate on return and will probably be knackered. It will take him time to get up to speed.

All in all it would be good for us for him to remain.

This feels win-win from our perspective. He barely bothered last season, he will be even worse this year and won't do anything to jeopardise his move. They don't get a fee now to fund their rebuild. They might still be able to move him, but you'd expect the fee to drop now. Glorious!

Will be glad to see him go, he’s the best striker they’ve got and they will struggle to replace him (personally I would say he’s the best striker in the league)

As much as I hate to see them making any money considering the money that PSG are due for any potential transfer, the sooner he’s off the better
That’s a weird take when Morelos numbers are far superior on the biggest stage both players have played: Europe

It should be added he'll be at the Olympics so he won't be able to help them in champions league qualifiers, start of the league campaign, will have to self isolate on return and will probably be knackered. It will take him time to get up to speed.
Is that right? I didn't know that.

So basically right up until the point, around the start of winter, he rules himself out of any serious exertion for fear of injury and jeopardizing his next move he will hardly be available to kick a ball?

The bold steady must stay, he must!

B-D

This is just a negotiating tactic. He is desperate to leave and Celtic are equally desperate for the transfer fee. At this stage they have gone big with an unrealistic asking price in the hope some club will be silly. The transfer window does not open officially until 1 July and closes on 31 August so it is a stand-off. But with every day that passes his transfer value diminishes and as the deadline approaches Celtic will accept any offer in excess of what they paid for him. Ajer and Christie are in the same boat. Dembele forced their hand three years ago and they took the much reduced offer on deadline day. They dug in on Boyata and got nothing. They will not allow that to happen again. Their much hailed £30M cash reserves are gone. Their season ticket sales are zilch. Panic is in the air.

I don’t think him staying and leaving on a free suits anyone.

Celtic will want him gone for the money. Having him wind down the clock and have a massive loss is surely out of the question.

He won’t really want to stay in such a poorly performing team. If his reputation hasn’t been hampered already a further crap year won’t do him any good and will only narrow the potential teams he’ll go to.

Only explanation is that it’s a gamble to push through a deal. Maybe Celtic are playing hardball with a transfer fee and he’s actually really keen on whoever is interested.

I don’t think him staying and leaving on a free suits anyone.

Celtic will want him gone for the money. Having him wind down the clock and have a massive loss is surely out of the question.

He won’t really want to stay in such a poorly performing team. If his reputation hasn’t been hampered already a further crap year won’t do him any good and will only narrow the potential teams he’ll go to.

Only explanation is that it’s a gamble to push through a deal. Maybe Celtic are playing hardball with a transfer fee and he’s actually really keen on whoever is interested.
I think you are right regarding him wanting out ASAP but if he does go on a free next year I do think there might be a better calibre of team willing to make a move for him on a free transfer,a no risk punt for a really good player.

Would be some laugh if he did stay put but as others have said it will be an undisclosed fee coming before the end of the transfer window.

I think you are right regarding him wanting out ASAP but if he does go on a free next year I do think there might be a better calibre of team willing to make a move for him on a free transfer,a no risk punt for a really good player.

Would be some laugh if he did stay put but as others have said it will be an undisclosed fee coming before the end of the transfer window.
I think that’s a gamble. Let’s say the rumours are true and Leicester are in for him but they’re getting frustrated at Celtic’s asking price. Will one more poor season where he doesn’t demonstrate his abilities mean the Leicester board aren’t convinced he’ll work out in the EPL?

Also rumoured that he’s asking for wages that are unrealistic, which if you’re right and that’s his plan might not work out in practice if they already think his demands are too high. I get there won’t be a transfer fee but there will be a wage budget and FFP (no laughing) to think about.

You might be right, but it’s a gamble.

That’s a weird take when Morelos numbers are far superior on the biggest stage both players have played: Europe
No not really, Morelos is a great player, hugely important to us, but let’s face it his goal scoring record in premier league this year was poor considering how much domination we had in games

Edouard, despite hardly trying a leg for most of the season & them being terrible still put the ball in the net

as I say, I will be glad when he’s away as they won’t get better than him any time soon

No not really, Morelos is a great player, hugely important to us, but let’s face it his goal scoring record in premier league this year was poor considering how much domination we had in games

Edouard, despite hardly trying a leg for most of the season & them being terrible still put the ball in the net

as I say, I will be glad when he’s away as they won’t get better than him any time soon
Goals v top sides in Europe > penalties v Hamilton

yes really.

Not sure why you are valuing one season in SPL over the others, plus a far superior record at the higher level of European football

Last edited:
Goals v top sides in Europe > penalties v Hamilton

yes really.

Not sure why you are valuing one season in SPL over the others, plus a far superior record at the higher level of European football
Edouard 13 open play goals from 31 games. Edouard 18 with pens
Morelos 12 from 29 games

Morelos surpasses him pretty much everywhere else it matters and especially in Europe

You’ve lost me.
You said ‘hope he does a Laudrup’. I assumed you meant by staying to run down the final year year of his contract like some lecherous mercenary. If so, I believe you are well wide of the mark as the circumstances are worlds apart.

Laudrup offered to go with a year left in order to get a transfer fee ( I believe Ajax may have been interested, but may be wrong), however the club persuaded him to stay in the push for 10 in the full knowledge he would leave for free at the end of season.

As I say, circumstances are miles apart.

If your comment meant something else, I apologise and please explain.

Edouard 13 open play goals from 31 games. Edouard 18 with pens
Morelos 12 from 29 games

Morelos surpasses him pretty much everywhere else it matters and especially in Europe

No contest

He downed tools last season, imagine what he'd be like next season seeing out a contract to get a big pay day move for himself? celtic board will be shiting themselves if they don't bring in money for him lol
He would be the size of Micah Richards by Christmas.

You said ‘hope he does a Laudrup’. I assumed you meant by staying to run down the final year year of his contract like some lecherous mercenary. If so, I believe you are well wide of the mark as the circumstances are worlds apart.

Laudrup offered to go with a year left in order to get a transfer fee ( I believe Ajax may have been interested, but may be wrong), however the club persuaded him to stay in the push for 10 in the full knowledge he would leave for free at the end of season.

As I say, circumstances are miles apart.

If your comment meant something else, I apologise and please explain.

Some pretty wild assumptions that you e made there.

Balde seems a more appropriate comparison.

Laudrup was the best foreigner to play in Scotland. Edouard… is… not
Laudrup done nothing in his last year. Nothing deliberate, but just wasn't the same player. It is without doubt he was the best foreigner to play in Scotland.

To be fair if Morelos took the pens he would far ahead on goals. They’re roughly similar on goals since they arrived, think eduoard is slightly more but from open play Morelos is way ahead. Morelos has also done it on a European level time after time. Even if it wasn’t the last year of his contract I really think Morelos would command a bigger fee.

Mixed feelings if true

would be funny to see him go for nothing but they are a weaker team with him not there . I’d rather he just left . Knowing our luck he will sign a 1 year extension
He won’t lift a leg and risk injury in that situation as he would be risking millions with a bad injury. As his commitment is almost at zero at the minute next season would be a fun watch. Even Laudrup lost his edge in that exact situation with us.

Is that right? I didn't know that.

So basically right up until the point, around the start of winter, he rules himself out of any serious exertion for fear of injury and jeopardizing his next move he will hardly be available to kick a ball?

The bold steady must stay, he must!

B-D
Japan is on the amber list. He'd have to isolate on return.

Hagi would be the same if we let him go.

This should be a massive warning to us. You should never let promising/expensive players enter their last 12 months. Not only do you risk this happening, you end up with far smaller fees. I'm not saying our players would do this but it is still a risk.

I hope this happens, why would anyone want them to get £8-10 million after everyone else gets their cut. That would give them some desperately needed money to get players in.

If this happens it would be a massive financial hole in their accounts and they wouldn't be able to buy better players. He'll be their best player but the overall quality of the squad would dip, as they can't invest his fee in players.

Basically a £10-12 million hole in their accounts that they won't be able to fill without selling McGregor, Turnbull, etc.

All in all it would be good for us for him to remain.

We are already in that situation with Goldson

Good player but nothing that worries me, dembele was far better. Also as said, Eduoard put in almost 0 effort the last half of last season, he doesn't seem like the type to be full of effort in his final season.

The £9m drain on their finances from a player they expected to get 20-25m for is a much bigger blow.

This is probably because he will be able to get an extortionate weekly wage and the club he signs for will not have to pay a transfer fee.

Pure guesswork but I’d imagine Leicester have came in with an offer say 10/12m or so. They’ve went that’s too low we want more, Leicester have said okay forget it and now eduoards agent has said we’re willing to wait and sign a pre-contract for nothing in a few months to try and force a sale. Reckon this is all just a negotiation tactic and he will go for an undisclosed fee.

They can’t afford having him signed elsewhere and not trying for fear of injury etc. They will already have his transfer fee spent as well, not getting that 12m or whatever, and then paying his wages another year will be a serious sink in their finances.

Last edited:
Reading earlier this could be a massive boost for Postecoglou, Eddie staying!

They say it is impossible but perhaps we need to give credit where credit is due. They may have, and against all the odds, just managed to get a shine on that jobby after all! :D

Take away his penalty kicks and his record isn’t great , 5 of his goals were against Hamilton including an opening day hat-trick

Morelos scored more Europa league group stage goals in one campaign than Eduardo has in 3 years combined

You don’t get a huge valuation for scoring goals in Scottish football

Take away his penalty kicks and his record isn’t great , 5 of his goals were against Hamilton including an opening day hat-trick

Morelos scored more Europa league group stage goals in one campaign than Eduardo has in 3 years combined

You don’t get a huge valuation for scoring goals in Scottish football
Its just a contrarian perspective to take.

Edouard has scored more pens against SPL dross. Alfie has done it more consistently against better teams in Europe.

Also using the "not scoring enough when in the dominant team in the league" for one season to bash Alfie. Despite Edouard having that advantage over Alfie for the previous 2 or 3 years, so surely that's one black mark against Alfie and 3 against his man Edouard?

Back