five out of nine possible subs - we put one on

Chris the Bandito

I'd probably have put Barker on to stretch the game especially when they went down to 10 but let's be honest, although we weren't creating much we were absolutely dominating that game in terms of stopping Aberdeen playing at all. I can see why we didn't change any of the defenders or midfield

Papac

If you upset the rhythm of your team by making too many subs and end up conceding then you're slaughtered for that as well. I'm happy with the win, three points and not looking for any other negatives. It's the first game of the season, none of them should exactly be tired.

TN8

Our bench highlighted that our overall squad is fairly weak. 9 subs and only 1 of them a centre mid.

supersonic

Official Ticketer
Am i missing something , Aberdeen got a lift from their subs but we refuse to use ours ,fresh legs new energy new drive whats that all about ????????
Aye you're missing a brain pal. Go have a hard think about why we made the subs we did.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Today it was

It should look considerably stronger with Davis and Defoe back and 3-4 new signings which will hopefully come in
I think both players are too long in the tooth to make a significant difference to a title challenge, albeit they’ll be far better options than what was there today. Anyhow, if we can get a couple of quality players in over the next couple of weeks the whole outlook could change.

coplandrearl36

Official Ticketer
If I remember right, last year we were winning 1-0, SG brought on a sub with a few minutes to go to shore up.
What happened we conceded a late equaliser.

He seems to have learnt from that mistake. :))

Shamrock hand and crown

Thread started with having a go at aribo and now it’s on too Gerrard.
We have went upto pittodrie and come away with three points and yet we having some moaning. Get a grip for goodness sake.

Mr Wilton

Am i missing something , Aberdeen got a lift from their subs but we refuse to use ours ,fresh legs new energy new drive whats that all about ????????
Yet we won the game pretty comfortably in the end. Aribo should have scored at the end to kill it, but overall it was comfortable. I also feel had they scored at our goal mouth scramble we’d have got a second too.

Gunnerger

If we get that important 2nd goal then more changes and rest for some players. Don't forget at the back we were not being put under any pressure really so no need for change.

PMB1872

Who do you suggest he brought on for this “unfit” Morelos?

As for Hagi he didn’t have a poor game at all, changing our whole attacking style 60 minutes in would have done us no good at all.

Thankfully you aren’t the gaffer
If you can’t see Morelos was constantly looking knackered you’re extremely blinkered.

GallowgateBlue

I think at only one goal up it would have been foolish to start changing up too much. Sometimes it can backfire, as we've all seen before. The bench really doesn't have any real quality of depth at the moment and that's the worrying thing. Really hoping to see a few players moved on and replaced with a better more hungrier version.

Johnnieblue

Maybe Barker for Morelos for a counterattack. Maybe a defender for Kamara.

But you don't get an extra point for using your subs. We won the 3 that were available. Job done. Move on.

The Predator

Suppose people had to find something to moan about. We must have the biggest bunch of greeting faced weans in our support. Between on here and across social media. It's embarrassing.

tottie beck

There’s was a noticeable drop off in pre-season the more we went to second string players. You can’t blame the manager for wanting to keep a strong 11 on the park.

Henry Hill

Official Ticketer
Hagi for Arfield was the right change, maybe 5 mins too late but...

Who else would you have changed?

nybear

10 subs second half five minutes added time plus injury time, what a great idea and somebody asked where they got six minutes from.

tazzabear

i have hooked Hagi for Arfield long before gerrard did today. Hagi looked knackered.

three points at arguably the trickiest away ground tho. No real complaints from me.
We can all say what we would’ve done but criticising the manager when he’s just won one of our perceived tougher fixtures and there hasn’t been any other negatives like bookings or injuries, is madness.

Coplandbear

I've said it many times and today was a further indication that Gerrard doesn't rate or trust the fringe players in the squad the majority aren't good enough.

jones65

We can all say what we would’ve done but criticising the manager when he’s just won one of our perceived tougher fixtures and there hasn’t been any other negatives like bookings or injuries, is madness.
just an opinion mate. I’ll take 1-0 away to the sheep every time.

tazzabear

And worryingly the one who came on was Arfield, who I'm not sure made an accurate pass to a team mate and who has a first touch which is as bad as they get.
Even if this is true, there are other parts to his game that may have been invaluable.

DRAGO

Who would you have put on? Not having a go but it is our big problem, there is such a dip in quality from first 11 to the bench. Particularly middle to front.

bluenose1977

Haha hahaha hahahaha what a complaint after a decent win to start league campaign.

You win today's "unnecessary complaint of the day" award, congratulations.