Gerrard on summer transfers

I think we'll keep McAuley as backup but I could see us going down the loan route again to replace Worrall.

We do clearly need another centre half in terms of numbers and a quality permanent signing would obviously be the preferred option, but if the money isn't there to bring in everyone we want this summer, I'd rather we focussed on getting in genuine quality middle to front.

We've only conceded 22 goals in the league all season. It's the one area we actually look reasonably decent in.
I like MacAuley mate but I think he's reached his limit at the level we're looking for-Suchy or similar on a free transfer would be my ideal preference.

I'd think so mate,at the moment he hasn't been yet capped by the senior team just the U21's but according to @bobally who would know,it's only a matter of time before that happens and then his value will only go one way-still very young as well so if we don't get him in the summer,I'd suggest he will be out of our price range quickly otherwise.

Yes. It’s this window or never. I read that one of the Moscow clubs were interested last window but he’s still there in Zagreb.
I think he made his international debut mate and scored in one of his two appearances. As you say, Bobally posted months ago that he’s looking really good this season.
EDIT - Yes. Played as a sub v Chile & then scored on his first start v China.

Reactions: cav
We havent conceded a lot of the goals but we have conceded a lot of key goals in the last minute etc, thats not all the centre backs fault mind you but i do feel we need another proper centre back with pace.

We add the quality we need to midfield and forward line and I think a lot of the late goals we've conceded will become academic.

As said above though, a permanent centre half to replace Worrall would obviously be better.

I think and hope we are making additions to downgrade cost of squad in order to upgrade spend on the first team as such.

We have far too many players and spend far too much on players who hardly feature - even this year with the injuries we have had and making the Europa League some players have been useless to us.

We need to move into a place where we have a clear first 11 with 4 or 5 fucken boss players - a few steadyeddies t make up the 11 and a squad of players who are dependable and play like grown ups to come in if we need them.

The 3IAR model.

Absolutely agree that we buy quality rather than quantity. I think we’ve witnessed what happens if you don’t this season.

I'm still uncertain the term 'quality' will satisfy everyone's expectations this summer.

Personally I think we need to be adding players of a level of ability above anyone we currently have at the club with the possible exception of Morelos, who, we should remember, was a one million pound punt from Finnish football.

For instance, it's entirely possible Gerrard and Allen believed someone like Barisic, a Croatian international, represented a 'quality' signing.

Grezda, another internationalist, may have also fit that bill, yet it's unlikely many fans will see either as such at this point in time.

Loosely speaking, and I know it's not as simple as this, but if £3m (Goldson) represents the highest extent of our outlay on individual players to date, I'd suggest we should probably be looking to spend between that and £4m on two, three or possibly four additions this summer.

If we can avoid paying a fee for them, great, but either way the calibre of player arriving should be demonstrably improved from what we've seen to date, IMO.

He will be here, but anyone who was at the live show with Kevin Thomson on friday will tell you that he does not rate the player at all.

Indeed, he doesn't believe the club should be signing any spl players anytime soon. I agree.

Shinnie, Jones, Hastie and Halkett will see us fight for 3rd place never mind 2cnd. Jones I can see why we are taking the gamble as its a bit like that runt Christie however the rest...... unless Jack is going then we do not need Shinnie

4-2-3-1 for me with Morelos/ replacement and then three genuinely dynamic attacking midfielders/wingers behind and two sitting midfielders (Kamara/Jack/another).

I’m not for a second saying they are perfect but it’s worked for the Tims and a lot of other teams.

As others have said, we don’t have the quality to play 4-3-3 and whilst I acknowledge it’s a similar system, I think the two sitters works much better.

IMHO Gerrard has tried to mould his system on Liverpool and right away you can see the glaring differences in quality of player.

Mate that is the system we play at the moment with arfield Kent and candeias.

I'm still uncertain the term 'quality' will satisfy everyone's expectations this summer.

Personally I think we need to be adding players of a level of ability above anyone we currently have at the club with the possible exception of Morelos, who, we should remember, was a one million pound punt from Finnish football.

For instance, it's entirely possible Gerrard and Allen believed someone like Barisic, a Croatian international, represented a 'quality' signing.

Grezda, another internationalist, may have also fit that bill, yet it's unlikely many fans will see either as such at this point in time.

Loosely speaking, and I know it's not as simple as this, but if £3m (Goldson) represents the highest extent of our outlay on individual players to date, I'd suggest we should probably be looking to spend between that and £4m on two, three or possibly four additions this summer.

If we can avoid paying a fee for them, great, but either way the calibre of player arriving should be demonstrably improved from what we've seen to date, IMO.

You are 100% correct. It simply must be higher than what we have. To be honest, I did really think Barisic & Grezda were of a higher standard & still don’t rule that out, as I think the issue with both is a combination of their fitness & their mindset, rather than necessarily their football abilities. I know many will disagree with me on that, but time will tell.

Another thing we need to address is not just the quality in midfield, but the balance. We seem to play three decent one paced guys, with no real pace or thrust. Some of them will do OK if the overall balance is right between composure, running power & creativity. I do think that Jack & Arfield haven’t been truly fit throughout the season, which also hasn’t helped.

RObertson said at the AGM at ORSA we wouldnt be accepting less than what they got for Dembele .

So if thats 20 min ... then how are you getting 18 for him and tav .
We're getting ball park £10-£12M offers for Morelos MAX. Tav possibly ~£5M. Name me one club who would want Morelos bad enough that they'd spend £20M on him? Be realistic.

Looking for your next ticket Mr. Bain are we?

Because you'd need to be as stupid as that charlatan f.uckwit Martin Bain to sell both our prize assets for that amount.
And relax. I don't know what world you live in, but I don't live in a world where we're going to make circa £30M in transfer fees for two of our (best) players. Just consider the financial landscape of football, the gulf between clubs and then who the most likely buyer of either of those players would be (and hence consider how much they'd be able to spend on them). Example: Dembele sold for just under £20M (to Lyon, 3rd/4th highest budget in Ligue 1)- French u-21's regular, multiple domestic trophy winner and champions league experience. Just be rational.

We're getting ball park £10-£12M offers for Morelos MAX. Tav possibly ~£5M. Name me one club who would want Morelos bad enough that they'd spend £20M on him? Be realistic.

no chance 10-12m for morelos. We have named our price.

And relax. I don't know what world you live in, but I don't live in a world where we're going to make circa £30M in transfer fees for two of our (best) players. Just consider the financial landscape of football, the gulf between clubs and then who the most likely buyer of either of those players would be (and hence consider how much they'd be able to spend on them). Example: Dembele sold for just under £20M (to Lyon, 3rd/4th highest budget in Ligue 1)- French u-21's regular, multiple domestic trophy winner and champions league experience. Just be rational.

Well, Morelos cannae play for France, I will give you that.;) The trophy winner thing is meaningless, it simply signifies he played in a team that was better than anybody else, nothing more. See Kirk Broadfoot and many others. CL experience, again, of little relevance in the real World, given he did little.

Scouts are looking, primarily, at the players ability. They may compare Morelos and his scoring record with that of Dembele and his scoring record against the same teams. I'm not convinced even that will be a deciding factor. What the Dembele fee does is give us a marker to point to in negotiations - it doesn't mean anyone will meet that valuation. Its a negotiating tool and that's about all. Depends how keen they are to sign the player and how desperate we are to sell.

Well, Morelos cannae play for France, I will give you that.;) The trophy winner thing is meaningless, it simply signifies he played in a team that was better than anybody else, nothing more. See Kirk Broadfoot and many others. CL experience, again, of little relevance in the real World, given he did little.

Scouts are looking, primarily, at the players ability. They may compare Morelos and his scoring record with that of Dembele and his scoring record against the same teams. I'm not convinced even that will be a deciding factor. What the Dembele fee does is give us a marker to point to in negotiations - it doesn't mean anyone will meet that valuation. Its a negotiating tool and that's about all. Depends how keen they are to sign the player and how desperate we are to sell.
Also Dembele was perma injured Morelos is Iron Man

Forgive me for my expletive mate,but I get very defensive whenever I think of Bain bleeding our club out of a lot of money.Our days of selling our players for less than their market value should be long gone or we've learnt nothing.And Morelos and Tav are by some distance,our most valuable assets.

Thing is though,that's French football you've quoted although to be fair that poor lad who was killed in the plane crash and played for Nantes who are 15th in Ligue 1 was sold for £15 million as well.
EPL sides are meant to be looking at Tav and Morelos,and English football money wise simply blows French football right out of the water.
Also Morelos is a full Colombian international with a better goalscoring record than Dumbele.
I'd say that's a pretty rational argument for why I wouldn't accept any less than 25 million for both Morelos and Tav.

And btw,if Epl sides do indeed come calling,we'll get it.

You are 100% correct. It simply must be higher than what we have. To be honest, I did really think Barisic & Grezda were of a higher standard & still don’t rule that out, as I think the issue with both is a combination of their fitness & their mindset, rather than necessarily their football abilities. I know many will disagree with me on that, but time will tell.

Another thing we need to address is not just the quality in midfield, but the balance. We seem to play three decent one paced guys, with no real pace or thrust. Some of them will do OK if the overall balance is right between composure, running power & creativity. I do think that Jack & Arfield haven’t been truly fit throughout the season, which also hasn’t helped.
I would say you're spot on with the mindset thing regarding Barasic and Grezda mate,certainly the former is trying to adjust to the game and culture I think.
Grezda was a strange one for me,paying the guts of two million quid for someone who was at the time still recovering from a bad long term injury when we had a limited budget was imo,irresponsible.It was always going to be an incredibly tough task all taken into account for him.

I've backed MA a lot,but signing Grezda and letting Bates go(which SG didn't agee with btw) were two glaring errors that were entirely avoidable from where I'm sitting.

Regarding the midfield balance or lack thereof,Jack and Arfield picking up so many injuries certainly hasn't helped as when they've been properly fit I think they've been great-but that's just not been often enough domestically.
I'd rather we went 4-2-3-1 next season if/when Alfie goes and buy a proper ten to play off the striker and share the goals responsibility more because it'll be a nightmare replacing Morelos as it is.

Shinnie, Jones, Hastie and Halkett will see us fight for 3rd place never mind 2cnd. Jones I can see why we are taking the gamble as its a bit like that runt Christie however the rest...... unless Jack is going then we do not need Shinnie
If Barasic doesn't hit the ground running pre-season we might need him elsewhere in the team-and I know he's not played LB for ages etc. - but he is actually a very decent one nonetheless.

I would rather forget about wingers and go direct through the middle with full backs creating the width.
It can be done with the correct personnel,I would rather we went 4-2-3-1 with 'inside forwards' if you like rather than wingers who can score plenty,or a wattie style 4-4-2 with one winger and one wide midfielder who can tuck in when needed.

The 4-3-3 is great if you have Salah,Mane and Shaqiri style quality-we don't.

Quality players cost money. 4-6 signings say £3m each, potentially £18m, where’s that coming from?

Not just fee’s but wages as well for those types are around 15-20k PW that’s potentially around 60-80k per week minimum added to the wage bill for 4 of those types of players.

Whatever money we get for Morelos will have to take into account big wages over a 3/4 year contract which is why even if we get a big fee probably only around 40/50% will only be spent on transfers.

It can be done with the correct personnel,I would rather we went 4-2-3-1 with 'inside forwards' if you like rather than wingers who can score plenty,or a wattie style 4-4-2 with one winger and one wide midfielder who can tuck in when needed.

Agree mate, when Salah gets the ball he runs at the goal, not at a corner flag

Yes. It’s this window or never. I read that one of the Moscow clubs were interested last window but he’s still there in Zagreb.
I think he made his international debut mate and scored in one of his two appearances. As you say, Bobally posted months ago that he’s looking really good this season.
EDIT - Yes. Played as a sub v Chile & then scored on his first start v China.

I've heard a lot good things about this player, never seen him play personally but it all sounds promising.

But my question is based on all this hype and the evaluation you've suggested, do we really think there's any chance Rangers will have an eye on him, or is it just speculation?

Do we really expect Rangers to return to the Croatian market when the jury's still out on Katic, Barisic and Grezda? I don't think we will.

I've heard a lot good things about this player, never seen him play personally but it all sounds promising.

But my question is based on all this hype and the evaluation you've suggested, do we really think there's any chance Rangers will have an eye on him, or is it just speculation?

It’s pure speculation Gaz. But he seems to be what we want ability wise, he’s young so could make us money & his fee / wages should be do able.

Forgive me for my expletive mate,but I get very defensive whenever I think of Bain bleeding our club out of a lot of money.Our days of selling our players for less than their market value should be long gone or we've learnt nothing.And Morelos and Tav are by some distance,our most valuable assets.

Thing is though,that's French football you've quoted although to be fair that poor lad who was killed in the plane crash and played for Nantes who are 15th in Ligue 1 was sold for £15 million as well.
EPL sides are meant to be looking at Tav and Morelos,and English football money wise simply blows French football right out of the water.
Also Morelos is a full Colombian international with a better goalscoring record than Dumbele.
I'd say that's a pretty rational argument for why I wouldn't accept any less than 25 million for both Morelos and Tav.

Good post mate.

I would say you're spot on with the mindset thing regarding Barasic and Grezda mate,certainly the former is trying to adjust to the game and culture I think.
Grezda was a strange one for me,paying the guts of two million quid for someone who was at the time still recovering from a bad long term injury when we had a limited budget was imo,irresponsible.It was always going to be an incredibly tough task all taken into account for him.

I've backed MA a lot,but signing Grezda and letting Bates go(which SG didn't agee with btw) were two glaring errors that were entirely avoidable from where I'm sitting.

Regarding the midfield balance or lack thereof,Jack and Arfield picking up so many injuries certainly hasn't helped as when they've been properly fit I think they've been great-but that's just not been often enough domestically.
I'd rather we went 4-2-3-1 next season if/when Alfie goes and buy a proper ten to play off the striker and share the goals responsibility more because it'll be a nightmare replacing Morelos as it is.

The Grezda purchase was a risk as you say. Maybe our management team saw a 15-20m potential player in him & that’s why they took the risk ? Right now I can’t see that personally, but it would be interesting to understand the logic behind such an obvious risk.
On Bates, I would happily have given the boy the ( reputed ) 8k a week to stay. He was an out & out defender and at 20 or so had years on his side to develop.
On the 4231, we really would need two really vital blends in there. The 2 in midfield would need to have a mix of mobility, strength, pace, energy & composure. Protect the defence & be a basis for the attack. On the Striker / Number 10, again a proper blend would be vital. To me I’d like an Alfie with a bit more pace. Frey seems to have a lot of the attributes but I believe from others he would maybe cost 4m or so ? Of course Koljic is another option we know of, but I’m not sure if he is as all round a player. He is a real scorer right enough. We might not be able to afford Frey, but the clips I’ve seen suggest strength & awareness. The number 10 is a difficult one too, because in Scotland he would need to be fearless & energetic to deal with the hammer throwers, but also he would need the skill & awareness too. Potentially very costly, and that’s why I’d look at younger guys who haven’t yet proven themselves. Eg Luka or Tervainen as possible examples.

My worry is if Davis and Defoe are kept on next season how much that will take out of our wage bill, personally I would cut both short as we are not going to get the same value for the wages we are paying them as we could for someone younger.

Agree Recoba. Defoe is doing fine, but he doesn’t have the all round game to lead the line.
If we play him in a two, we weaken the midfield as a unit.
I think there are young guys we’ve all spoken of ( Ivanusec, Koljic, Tervainen ) plus probably many others our scouting team know of that would make me totally agree with you.

Do we really expect Rangers to return to the Croatian market when the jury's still out on Katic, Barisic and Grezda? I don't think we will.

You can't write off a whole market cause of 2 players. Plus on the face of it they have the ability but not the mentality. However perhaps it's a confidence thing and after the summer the 2 of them can get their shit together. If they did sign from that market again, the player they sign will be under pressure to deliver

This for me is the key going forward, for us. We need to find wide players that have the desire to get into the box more and the ability / knack to score 15 goals a season.

To many people looking for skillful / tricky wingers. All show and no substance.

Width and crossing can come from the full backs, I would even argue that our full backs are just as good at crossing as our wingers.

A so called number 10, would then have more options to slide in dangerous passes, instead of just looking for Alfie, who is usually closely marked by two Centre halfs. A number 10 with some shooting ability would also be good, as the opposition would be required to close him down more outside the box and in turn leave more space in the box.

Off the ball, playing with the so called Inside forwards, should allow us to press better, as the 3 / 4 attacking players are closer together to allow for a better press on opposition defenders or if in a slightly deeper formation 4-2-3-1 allows us to press the passing lanes better from defence to midfield.

If teams are going to sit in against us, then we must press much higher to induce the mistakes.

Wide players playing more inside showed allow them to get into the box more frequently and also allow us to be more direct on the break (players are then running straight at Central defenders, who hate this compared to wingers taken more time to beat a man and cross early

Czech International currently at Basel mate,30 years old so been about a bit and most importantly-out of contract in the summer.

Sounds good. At that age we could probably get a few years out of him. Might still be at his peak at that age for a CD.

This for me is the key going forward, for us. We need to find wide players that have the desire to get into the box more and the ability / knack to score 15 goals a season.

To many people looking for skillful / tricky wingers. All show and no substance.

Width and crossing can come from the full backs, I would even argue that our full backs are just as good at crossing as our wingers.

A so called number 10, would then have more options to slide in dangerous passes, instead of just looking for Alfie, who is usually closely marked by two Centre halfs. A number 10 with some shooting ability would also be good, as the opposition would be required to close him down more outside the box and in turn leave more space in the box.

Off the ball, playing with the so called Inside forwards, should allow us to press better, as the 3 / 4 attacking players are closer together to allow for a better press on opposition defenders or if in a slightly deeper formation 4-2-3-1 allows us to press the passing lanes better from defence to midfield.

If teams are going to sit in against us, then we must press much higher to induce the mistakes.

Wide players playing more inside showed allow them to get into the box more frequently and also allow us to be more direct on the break (players are then running straight at Central defenders, who hate this compared to wingers taken more time to beat a man and cross early

Good post mate.

Sounds good. At that age we could probably get a few years out of him. Might still be at his peak at that age for a CD.
Defensively we're an awful lot better this season,it's really not been our biggest problem by a long way-Goldson,Katic,Suchy and Halkett would do me just fine next season mate without spending a penny in transfer money in the proces this summer.

Because I do think we'll need every penny available for the attacking side of the team.

Defensively we're an awful lot better this season,it's really not been our biggest problem by a long way-Goldson,Katic,Suchy and Halkett would do me just fine next season mate without spending a penny in transfer money in the proces this summer.

Because I do think we'll need every penny available for the attacking side of the team.

I think we really need to focus on OOCs. There will be so many around that can improve us for free. Have to say, I’m becoming more disillusioned with Goldson as the season progresses, so the jury’s out on him for me mate.

Were we not linked with Suchy when he was 20/21?
I honestly don't know mate,but we could certainly do worse than obtain his services this summer imo.
I'd also take Halkett back for free,a player that as daft as it sounds excels on those shitey plastic pitches.

I should clarify again mate - I want top dollar for them as much as anyone does - but we have to be rational here, it’s not about how much we’re demanding for our players, it’s about who has the financial resources to buy them. I remain unconvinced that there’s an EPL side ready to take Alfredo for £20M or Tav for £7/8M. I think over inflating the value of our players is only going to harm us in the long term.

Back