Official Giovanni van Bronckhorst appointed Rangers manager (all updates)

with all due respect to Steven Biko.
surely this song could be adapted for GIO

Ach sorry, song is BIKO by Gabriel

The last few days have taking it’s toll on me I was out cold sleeping for just after 9pm last night and that’s me up bright as a button :D.

Happy that we got it over the line and if we are all realistic it’s been pretty quick just a rollercoaster of a week.

Roll on Sunday, hopefully our players roll their sleeves up and give 100% with our new manager watching over.

i do like a venture on KDS to see the view of the Dim minded, who were celebrating as if the league was done since Gerrard made his decision, the deluded view so far is -

GVB done nothing in his last year at Feyenord
No other club was in for him
They only got him to sell Orange taps
He wont work well with a no or a small budget

They have conveniently forgot he won the Dutch league on a much smaller budget than PSV, Ajax and at this time of year there is countless teams looking for managers ??? The orange taps, OK they got us on that one :)

There was some praise for how quickly he has been appointed, maybe this is in response to 4 to 5 months waiting for their "top" target Ange ............
I was on it earlier and I kept seeing them say “Dirk Kuyt said he was a shite manager”

I think RW has a sense of duty to at least tell us what flight he is coming in on, so that all my new fellow plane enthusiasts can get one last go at tracking it on Flightradar24..............before the January transfer window opens!

Don't have a scooby about the way Gio's teams play, do we expect a big change in formation, personnel or tactics?
I imagine initially he might go "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and gradually introduce his own philisophy.

I think RW has a sense of duty to at least tell us what flight he is coming in on, so that all my new fellow plane enthusiasts can get one last go at tracking it on Flightradar24..............before the January transfer window opens!
One from Rotterdam just landed 10 minutes ago

Who's RW, mate? Edit, still half asleep.

Last edited:
This threads so big, it's difficult to know if this has already been posted, but Dutch paper Algemeen Dagblad saying his team will consist of

Roy Makaay - Assistant trainer : LinkedIn
Yöri Bosschaart - Video analyst : LinkedIn
Arno Philips - Physical trainer: LinkedIn

With Jean-Paul van Gastel said to be in the frame too but as we know under contract and it remains to be seen whether anything will happen with him.

Last edited:
1-E8-A7-AC4-CF01-42-CC-8-E76-BEBBFD6338-DE.jpg

Delighted that it was finally announced after days of very little work being done. Now just want to get back to playing and hopefully properly kickstart our season.

I'm going to pour a bucket of ice cold water on Gio's appointment as manager. I can't see this working on out. I know he had success at Feyenoord but he'd been there for 4 seasons as assistant before he took over and knew the team and where it was at.

Hope I'm as wrong as can be, but I don't have high hopes here.
Aye. Right.

GIOVANNI VAN BRONCKHORST has arrived in Scotland ready to begin work as the new Rangers manager.

The Dutchman was announced as the Ibrox club's new manager in a late afternoon statement yesterday.

Gio van Bronckhorst stepping off a flight earlier - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun
Gio van Bronckhorst stepping off a flight earlier - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun
Van Bronckhorst arrives by private jet - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun
He becomes the 17th permanent manager in their history and takes the reins from Steven Gerrard who quit last week.

Van Bronckhorst will take in Sunday's Premier Sports Cup semi-final at Hampden - but NOT from the dugout.

And we can reveal he has touched down in Glasgow ahead of that game.

His early morning flight landed in Glasgow Airport, with a member of Gers' security team there to meet him.

They avoided going through the terminal, taking the VIP route from the runway.
The 46-year-old was universally welcomed to the club by Gers supporters and past players alike.

And he himself was thrilled to be appointed as Gerrard's successor.

He told Rangers' website: “I am absolutely delighted to be returning to Rangers as the club’s new manager.

“I feel so lucky to be going to work with a squad which is in a great position on all fronts and largely has that experience of being winners.
“I look forward to carrying on and enhancing the work that has been done already alongside Ross Wilson and the board of the club, and I’m grateful for the chance to work again at this huge football club.
"I cannot wait to meet the club’s incredible supporters again and begin this new era for us all."
Early morning flight from Amsterdam arriving in Glasgow - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun
Early morning flight from Amsterdam arriving in Glasgow - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun
Van Bronckhorst stepping off the early flight - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun
Van Bronckhorst stepping off the early flight - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun
Van Bronckhorst heading for car waiting for him at Glasgow Airport - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun
Van Bronckhorst heading for car waiting for him at Glasgow Airport - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun
Van Bronckhorst jumps into the car waiting for him - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun

GIOVANNI VAN BRONCKHORST has arrived in Scotland ready to begin work as the new Rangers manager.

The Dutchman was announced as the Ibrox club's new manager in a late afternoon statement yesterday.

He becomes the 17th permanent manager in their history and takes the reins from Steven Gerrard who quit last week.

Van Bronckhorst will take in Sunday's Premier Sports Cup semi-final at Hampden - but NOT from the dugout.

And we can reveal he has touched down in Glasgow ahead of that game.

His early morning flight landed in Glasgow Airport, with a member of Gers' security team there to meet him.

They avoided going through the terminal, taking the VIP route from the runway.
The 46-year-old was universally welcomed to the club by Gers supporters and past players alike.

And he himself was thrilled to be appointed as Gerrard's successor.

He told Rangers' website: “I am absolutely delighted to be returning to Rangers as the club’s new manager.

“I feel so lucky to be going to work with a squad which is in a great position on all fronts and largely has that experience of being winners.
“I look forward to carrying on and enhancing the work that has been done already alongside Ross Wilson and the board of the club, and I’m grateful for the chance to work again at this huge football club.
"I cannot wait to meet the club’s incredible supporters again and begin this new era for us all."
Van Bronckhorst jumps into the car waiting for him - Credit: Kenny Ramsay, Scottish Sun

No happy with the trainers… get him oot!

Motor looks same as the other day.

Unsure if there's any link to this at all, but looking back at loads of Gios goals for us, lots of them were from outside the box.

Hopefully this is something he brings to the midfielders we currently have, start taking digs from outside the box.

Under SG they over analysed things to the point that they felt there was a low percentage of goals came from shots from outside the box.
However, stats don't cover everything as passing the ball from one side of the pitch to another surely has even less percentage of goals.

This would be a refreshing change to the team.
Many of the midfielders we have will enjoy a bit more freedom you would imagine.

Unsure if there's any link to this at all, but looking back at loads of Gios goals for us, lots of them were from outside the box.

Hopefully this is something he brings to the midfielders we currently have, start taking digs from outside the box.

Under SG they over analysed things to the point that they felt there was a low percentage of goals came from shots from outside the box.
However, stats don't cover everything as passing the ball from one side of the pitch to another surely has even less percentage of goals.

Many of the midfielders we have will enjoy a bit more freedom you would imagine.
His Feyenoord team had the lowest percentage in the league for shots outside the box the season they won the league

His Feyenoord team had the lowest percentage in the league for shots outside the box the season they won the league

We were all saying the same thing about SG as well, how since he was famed for his long range shots that we would end up doing the same under him and it’s been a rarity.

It’s down to the players to take accountability and decide to shoot themselves. It appears to be happening more regularly now with Kamara, Hagi, Bacuna, Lundstram and Aribo all showing more willingness to shoot from range now. Davis is the one who seems most hesitant to do so but then again pretty sure the Malmö equaliser was from outside the box.

Taking shots from outside the box is extremely inefficient and a bad way to set up a football team.

Doing it once or twice a match is fine (and we did this - remember Kent v County?) but you want most of your shots inside the box.

Back