Official Giovanni van Bronckhorst appointed Rangers manager (all updates)

Tbh, I hope Goldson does leave. He hasn't been at the races this season especially in Europe. To date he hasn't signed a new contract so I wouldn't mind him leaving.

I personally would be ok with Goldson staying the season and Doekhi being signed on a pre contract. I have a feeling Goldson’s performances will improve, possibly even after he signs a pre contract for a new club when there’s closure and he can just focus on ending the season well because I do think he genuinely cares about the results.

Goldson’s ability to pass from range is so useful and he’s arguably the most vocal player on the pitch.

Taking shots from outside the box is extremely inefficient and a bad way to set up a football team.

Doing it once or twice a match is fine (and we did this - remember Kent v County?) but you want most of your shots inside the box.

In normal football games yes. In games against the majority of SPFL teams it is a good tactic because they put so many bodies behind the ball and it’s very common to get at least a deflection out for a corner.

We face a totally different challenge here to other dominant teams in other leagues. In the PL for example you don’t see the likes of Burnley camping in quite as strictly against the likes of Liverpool in the same manner as the lesser teams in our league.

Taking shots from outside the box is extremely inefficient and a bad way to set up a football team.

Doing it once or twice a match is fine (and we did this - remember Kent v County?) but you want most of your shots inside the box.
Shooting from outside, or edge of the box is an extremely effective way of scoring goals with enough space and time. You see it in the EPL all the time. Long range shots, not so much.

Trying to pass the ball through an 11 man defence and tap it into the net is much harder.

Shooting from outside, or edge of the box is an extremely effective way of scoring goals with enough space and time. You see it in the EPL all the time. Long range shots, not so much.

Trying to pass the ball through an 11 man defence and tap it into the net is much harder.
There’s no data to back up this hypothesis. Crosses from deep yield an approx. 3% chance of scoring, the same as most shots from range. Cutbacks yield closer to 12%. Crosses from the byline around 6% etc.

If you took a shot every time you were within 25 yards of goal, you’d be lucky to score more than a goal a game.

There’s no data to back up this hypothesis. Crosses from deep yield an approx. 3% chance of scoring, the same as most shots from range. Cutbacks yield closer to 12%. Crosses from the byline around 6% etc.

If you took a shot every time you were within 25 yards of goal, you’d be lucky to score more than a goal a game.
Is that from an updated Soccernomics or something similar? I remember being surprised by the statistics around corners and how you're more likely to concede from one than score.

Apparently Gio likes to set up with 2 wingers hugging the touch line. Obviously our squad was built by Gerrard for the 2 number 10s so we're kind of lacking in players to play like that atm.

Shooting from the edge of the box is just an option, and one that we rarely take when the opportunity presents itself. It's just another tool in the box to put the ball in the back of the net and shouldn't be overlooked. It also depends on the circumstances. If you're not getting into the box against a defensive team it can turn a draw into victory. It has its place.

"Despite his hiring being official, Gio van Bronckhorst's coaching staff has yet to close. Still looking for someone who knows the league and has been linked to the club. There are several names on the table."
Still think this is someone sitting there making stuff up using google translator to make it believable

Kent, Barker, Wright
even Sakala likes to run down the line
It must be very exciting for these players. A new manager coming in who can elevate them to the next level.

Being a realist, not Barker but the likes of Wright, Sakala and even Patterson, could see a new dimension added to their game.

Makaay being there could potentially help add that killer finishing instinct Alfie has been missing. Or indeed the whole forward line.

Apparently Gio likes to set up with 2 wingers hugging the touch line. Obviously our squad was built by Gerrard for the 2 number 10s so we're kind of lacking in players to play like that atm.
I personally think this would benefit Scott Wright.

I feel like he has been almost over-coached into this narrow 10 role. It worked for Kent but Kent is a technically better footballer than Wright. Scott Wright would be at his best running at full backs from wider areas I feel.

I still think Kevin Thomson will be involved.
I love KT.

I was mwi one night and after watching a few old classics messaged him on Instagram (I know) saying how me and my mate loved his two tackle on Keane.

His reply, and I quote,

"Appreciate that mate!!! I was not bad, probs more appreciated when I wasn’t playing!! But enjoyed every min, I’d back myself against anyone!!!"

Aye, a messaged an ex player on insta mwi, so wit? :D

I've seen a few of the goals gio has scored for us and holland and one of the things I've noticed is a lot of them have been shots from outside the 18 yard box I'm hoping that this is something he will look at on the training pitch

In normal football games yes. In games against the majority of SPFL teams it is a good tactic because they put so many bodies behind the ball and it’s very common to get at least a deflection out for a corner.

We face a totally different challenge here to other dominant teams in other leagues. In the PL for example you don’t see the likes of Burnley camping in quite as strictly against the likes of Liverpool in the same manner as the lesser teams in our league.
It’s never a good tactic. The chances of scoring are very low % - the amount of players behind the ball is irrelevant, flip your view on it’s head. We should be able to break spl dross down.

I've seen a few of the goals gio has scored for us and holland and one of the things I've noticed is a lot of them have been shots from outside the 18 yard box I'm hoping that this is something he will look at on the training pitch

Yes I thought the same when Gerrard arrived I swear he banned shooting whilst here

Did Gio tweet or say anything after we secured 55 ? I cant remember seeing anything at the time woiuld be good to see.

And ideally 99% in the Net lol

I think what we are all after is accuracy and quality wrt goal opportunities

Yes I thought the same when Gerrard arrived I swear he banned shooting whilst here
There is a difference between one of the best shots in the Premier League, multiple England cap and Champions League winner hitting a shot than players signed for free transfers or relative bargains.

But getting the ball out wide, wider and wider again to then try and walk it into the net is not the answer and we do that over and over, every game. I swear if we go any wider, we will be out in Edmiston Drive

But getting the ball out wide, wider and wider again to then try and walk it into the net is not the answer and we do that over and over, every game. I swear if we go any wider, we will be out in Edmiston Drive
You’re not going to like what GVB has in store then.

Gerrard kept our wingers closer in. That’s not what GVB does.

Seriously mate, we cannot possibly go any wider. We would be as well moving the edge of the pitch out to the M8. Does my nut in when someone goes through the middle and has the chance to shoot, but then opts to hold the ball up near the edge of the box and then play it out wide. The reluctance to shoot and at least make the goalkeeper work, is staggering.
p.s. in fact, if there are still places in the coaching roles available....sign me up Gio!

GvB likes his width but he also likes his wide players to be able to drop into a narrow midfield or attack from out to in.

People say GvB tactics were an issue in his final season - that he was found out but I don’t agree. He likes his trusted 4-4-3 but he also changes to a flat 4-4-2.

He likes his teams to deploy a high defensive line.

His comments on his time with Pep Guardiola also sounds encouraging - willingness and hunger to learn new approaches, tactics, systems, drills etc.

I’d going to take time for change. It’s not like it’s Gerrard out and a completely different style of manager coming in.

GvB likes his width but he also likes his wide players to be able to drop into a narrow midfield or attack from out to in.

People say GvB tactics were an issue in his final season - that he was found out but I don’t agree. He likes his trusted 4-4-3 but he also changes to a flat 4-4-2.

He likes his teams to deploy a high defensive line.

His comments on his time with Pep Guardiola also sounds encouraging - willingness and hunger to learn new approaches, tactics, systems, drills etc.

I’d going to take time for change. It’s not like it’s Gerrard out and a completely different style of manager coming in.

Did he have an extra man at PSV?

I've read he likes his width and we have tended to rely on full backs to provide that recently.

Sometimes it is the answer though, it does stretch the backline and gives space for the midfielders to attack, we just rarely have someone attacking those spaces.

There needs to be a mix between that, crossing and shooting from distance. For most of this season and I'd say most of Gerrard's tenure when we struggled against teams, we seemed overly reliant on crosses, which is not a good thing when your opposition have a box flooded with tall players.

Whats your solution? Don’t move the ball out wide and let our opponents congregate around the 18 yard box? Just fire shots all day? We have scored quite a few goals shifting it out wide to get the defenders on a half turn then putting the burners on through the middle or over the top. Sometimes “predictability” is your strength and not a weakness.

The amount of people who think width when attacking is a bad thing boggles my mind.

Every successful team makes the pitch big when they have the ball FFS

PEP TALK

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola reckons moving to Rangers is a "huge opportunity" for Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

Van Bronckhorst had only just left the club when Guardiola took over as Barca boss but the two men know each other well - with Van Bronckhorst spending time with the City Group recently.

Asked about the appointment, Guardiola said: "A big compliment to him and Rangers for this appointment.

"Rangers of course are absolutely one of the greatest teams in Scotland..

"That is a huge opportunity for him, he had an incredible experience in Holland when he made Feyenoord really good.

"As part of the little bit of organisation here we are in touch. He is a lovely person, a lovely guy, so I wish him all the best."

Just been doing a bit of look into some of the (expected) backroom team.

Arno Phillips, the fitness/conditioning coach, has been Guus Hiddink's main guy for years and years. Took him everywhere, both at national teams (South Korea, Australia, Russia, Turkey and Holland) and at clubs (PSV and Anzhi). When Hiddink went to Chelsea, oor Arno joined Fred Rutten at Schalke, PSV and then Feyenoord, where he stayed until Gio left. Then he joined Gio in China.

Just been doing a bit of look into some of the (expected) backroom team.

Arno Phillips, the fitness/conditioning coach, has been Guus Hiddink's main guy for years and years. Took him everywhere, both at national teams (South Korea, Australia, Russia, Turkey and Holland) and at clubs (PSV and Anzhi). When Hiddink went to Chelsea, oor Arno joined Fred Rutten at Schalke, PSV and then Feyenoord, where he stayed until Gio left. Then he joined Gio in China.
Thats encouraging

Not so sure that his initial emphasis needs to be on this ‘wingers’ issue we currently have something that works pretty good . I’d say we can play the rest of this season without making significant change on that one because ultimately it would have reactions and consequences on thr team structure and cohesion .

I’m thinking more sort out the lapses and defensive uncertainty and also improve offensive dead ball moves . They would add something to the points and team confidence .

Smiling away here at the idea of Gios teams playing with out and out wingers, think we've been seriously lacking width this season. Tav and Borna have struggled because of this too. I look forward to seeing us in the coming weeks.

Whats your solution? Don’t move the ball out wide and let our opponents congregate around the 18 yard box? Just fire shots all day? We have scored quite a few goals shifting it out wide to get the defenders on a half turn then putting the burners on through the middle or over the top. Sometimes “predictability” is your strength and not a weakness.
Vary it a bit more! We constantly try the wide option, more than anything else. Yes, we can get it out wide, but when we then get it into or around the edge of the box, we don't always need to then put it back out wide again. Some players look frightened to take a shot and look to play it back out to wide positions again. We don't have a Hateley or Prso or Jelavic that can get on the end of crosses into the box. And don't even get me started on how many of said crosses then hit the first man.
What's the point of Defoe laying off balls for our guys to take shooting practice from the edge of the box during warm-up and then when we get into these positions during the game, we don't shoot and are happy to lay the ball out wide again?

Vary it a bit more! We constantly try the wide option, more than anything else. Yes, we can get it out wide, but when we then get it into or around the edge of the box, we don't always need to then put it back out wide again. Some players look frightened to take a shot and look to play it back out to wide positions again. We don't have a Hateley or Prso or Jelavic that can get on the end of crosses into the box. And don't even get me started on how many of said crosses then hit the first man.
What's the point of Defoe laying off balls for our guys to take shooting practice from the edge of the box during warm-up and then when we get into these positions during the game, we don't shoot and are happy to lay the ball out wide again?
Watching the shooting drills pre match makes my heart sink and explains why we’re reluctant to take on longer range efforts.

Something like 1/3 of Morelos goals are headed. For a team who doesn’t have a Prso or. Jelavic, we score an awful lot of headers/from crosses.

We play the ball out wide because our analysts have identified that this is where we retain possession or pose a threat. I agree that it would be nice to score a few from range but it’s just not worth it, especially when half of Ibrox has a aneurism if we don’t hit the target.

Back