Goal Difference myth

Topps

All this focus on goal difference for me is taking the eye off the job required.

Keep winning especially against them and goal difference won't matter in the least. We will win this league by 6 POINTS with two wins and a draw. Let's be positive.
It might matter in the end as it has done before. However I don’t think this is the month to worry about it. We have a month of tough away games and the only thing that matters is winning. If we are still level or close to the filth come January we will be in a good position with us having more home games to come and it’s those games we can claw back the goals.

Bobby Russell

Only becomes relevant towards the end of the season. Now is all about winning wether its scrappy 1nils or a thrilling 5-4.

Bothwell Street Bear

All this focus on goal difference for me is taking the eye off the job required.

Keep winning especially against them and goal difference won't matter in the least. We will win this league by 6 POINTS with two wins and a draw. Let's be positive.
absolutely zero harm in the team wanting to smash teams to pieces.

we won 5-0 today. not sure how you can suggest any eyes being taken off the job.

weird post.

Skoosh1872

It’s also not just about GD.
If we’re sitting at 1 nil or even 2 there’s always a chance of the opposition getting a goal and then everything’s in the mix.
Get to 3 or4 and we’re on easy street in a game and can start to make subs.

DylanGer

I wonder what the reaction would be with half the season to go, a massive game and then a cup final looming if one of our players injured himself busting a gut to make it 6-0.

We would say it was stupid and we would be right.

trevor_steven

Official Ticketer
It's hardly a myth. There is only one goal separating us at the top and we're now in December.

Gringo

The other thing which smashes the myth part out of the water is, GD is literally the deciding factor on who is top of the table.

Unicorn

Agreed. People are obsessed with it, its ridiculous. 2003 is the only time I remember it deciding things, I'm 36. Plus, its December 1st.
That was a tense run in. Hope it’s not like that again, apart from the happy ending.

ScottXC

Focussing on goal difference is a good thing, at least for me.

Shows the team have the mentality to not only finally put these other teams away, but trying to do it with a ruthlessness. It’s welcome to me, irrelevant if it comes down to GD or not. Winning breeds more winning.

macaloon9

I’m not sure what the myth is; if we are tied on points at the end of the season then it’s the deciding factor. Nobody is suggesting we can’t win by virtue of our points total but in a two horse race it makes prefect sense to keep an eye on goal difference.

DylanGer

When we were 1 up? Why would that be relevant to trying to get the GD up?
It's relevant to players getting injured that was my point-that moment gave everyone a scare. Hearts were playing with a bit of a nasty edge and at 5-0 they were gone-not sure I'd be throwing everything at them to get a 6-0 considering the games coming up.

DavieM

Can't agree - this has maybe been our weakness in recent seasons with taking our foot off the gas and letting other teams into it if they score.

If we can batter teams then do it - I want out players dishing it out each and every game they can.

Should be good for confidence as well as opposed to limping over the line. A winning team don't feel fatigue.