Goal Difference myth

sandyinroyalblue

It's been the only thing separating us and them for weeks now, so in what way is it a myth?
Maybe myth was wrong word perhaps focus may be better.

Lets score as many goals as we can but results will be the difference between us and the rest not goals if we focus on the job in hand. Worrying because they score 4 could put unneccesary pressure on us for something which will not be important if we do our job.

Live Forever

Official Ticketer
Goal difference is a wańk tie breaker.

Should be based on head to head results in the first instance.
Nonsense. H2H ignores all other goals scored in the league campaign and would come down to just OF games.

%^*& that. 38 games in a campaign. Not 4.

Rickymck

What were you thinking when Alfie went down?

Players can get injured in a second-5-0 up and cruising I'd be expecting the players to close the game out sensibly.
That was very early in the game proving that injuries can happen anytime but that's why the manager took off 2 of our most important players! I saw him point to his wrist so personally didn't give it a thought. It's fine not thinking about goal difference at this stage of the season but we need to put on performances that make other teams fear us and that includes playing to our best and destroying teams for 90 minutes not 45! Psychology is very important in this game.

Potnbear

The more you score, the more it becomes habit, gettin a few goals cushion also settles the players and gives us scope for giving ppl like Greg Stewart game time.
Ps. I just like scoring more goals than them bastards at all times

Jimmy Jazz

Maybe myth was wrong word perhaps focus may be better.

Lets score as many goals as we can but results will be the difference between us and the rest not goals if we focus on the job in hand. Worrying because they score 4 could put unneccesary pressure on us for something which will not be important if we do our job.
Well we've only dropped 5 points so far so it doesn't seem to affecting us too much.

PT98

Its not a myth but people are becoming obsessed with it, when in reality the chances if it actually meaning anything come the end of the season are extremely slim.

nelster

Tell you what OP

You can think tonight that our players are stupid

Im nodding in appreciation of a team paying attention to every single detail.

One more goal lads, come on.

Well done captain

For successful people and teams, every detail matters.

The Royal Standard

I don’t think chasing a couple extra goals at home to jobbers like Hearts is taking our eye off anything.
We need to bury teams as far as we can . It’s not taking our eye off anything as you quite rightly say . It’s about being as strong as we can and it’s naive to think goal difference doesn’t or won’t matter .

DoubleWhopper

Official Ticketer
I, in contrast to most, agree with the OP.

Of course it’s nice to hammer teams but getting hung up on goal difference in December is going too far. People grumble nowadays when we only win by 2 goals. That attitude isn’t helpful.

I’ll make a prediction here - this title will NOT be decided on goal difference

Suttonger

Agreed. People are obsessed with it, its ridiculous. 2003 is the only time I remember it deciding things, I'm 36. Plus, its December 1st.
Against Aberdeen when Hateley scored his double we could have lost the league on goal difference in the final game if aberdeen had got a result.

When the goal difference gets out of our reach it gives them basically an extra point so if the opportunity is there to bang in goals then don't back off I reckon.
We have enough in our squad to make subs in the games to rest players with the game won but still chase the goals

Last edited:

GarMckin

Exactly, which is why its important not to focus on it too must now.

I would bite anyones hand off right now for a 0-1 at pittodrie on Wednesday.
But if we are 2-0 up in the second half and they are showing no threat, I fully expect any Rangers team to go for the throat, whether it's the first game of the season or the last. This team is well aware of when to shut up shop and when they can go for goals, it's not like we are desperately going for goals in tight games.

GimmeShelter

Official Ticketer
What were you thinking when Alfie went down?

Players can get injured in a second-5-0 up and cruising I'd be expecting the players to close the game out sensibly.
Thankfully the manger doesn't think like you and understands the importance of dominating teams and putting in as many goals as possible.

legalbeagle

It is effectively an extra point for either team, so I wouldn’t obsess about it, but I wouldn’t just sit back and let them have the advantage.

PT98

But if we are 2-0 up in the second half and they are showing no threat, I fully expect any Rangers team to go for the throat, whether it's the first game of the season or the last. This team is well aware of when to shut up shop and when they can go for goals, it's not like we are desperately going for goals in tight games.
Totally agree, I was more meaning supporters are becoming a bit too worried about it. Was working today but when we heard their score another bear made a comment like 'we need to hammer them today now to keep close to them'.

I would take 1 nil in every single game from now til end of season and Celtic can win every other game 6 nil

AriseSirWalter

Normally at this stage of the season it wouldn’t even enter your mind but it is going to be close, maybe a few points difference if that.

I did find it interesting when Tav told the celebrating players to get back and getting going again when we’d just scored the 5th. Tav, Goldson, Davis and Arfield all noticeable going for it after that.

December is a month for keeping it close to be honest, our fixtures are horrendous and if someone offered me equal on points but a few goals behind I’d take it. If we went top today they’d likely take 7 of Hamilton midweek.

It’s ridiculously close but if we didn’t %^*& up the old firm game we’d be 6 points clear. That’s a positive as well as the obvious negative. Our OF form will improve.

theredwhiteandblue

No idea where the OP is coming from. This league may well come down to goal difference, Id prefer not to let them build an unassailable lead on that front.
Score as many as we can, keep blank sheets in every game sounds good to me.

insanicdrunk

I know this is a fans discussion board, and we all have our views, but who do you think told them to dominate and get the goals? It's not as if they have just taken it upon themselves.

Scoring goals is habit building, its a good habit to have.

Pentasa

I know what you are saying OP, but surely trying to score as many goals as possible is the whole idea behind football, which in turn means we'll win games, They sort of go hand in hand

Livibear

All this focus on goal difference for me is taking the eye off the job required.

Keep winning especially against them and goal difference won't matter in the least. We will win this league by 6 POINTS with two wins and a draw. Let's be positive.
It’s a mentality thing.

If you can get into the habit of always going one better than them; wining 2-0 when they win 1-0 etc, then it makes getting that point lead possible.

Every Other Saturday

Enjoy it for what is. It's a thin top layer of competition where us and them are shooting it out for the most goals (when our position in the game permits) on top of the main target which is 3 points.

The focus for the team has always been 3 points and will remain so. However once we get our nose in front by more than 2 then the gaffer wants us to be ruthless and that is the correct approach. The team are not going in to every game focusing on goal difference.

sandyinroyalblue

I know what you are saying OP, but surely trying to score as many goals as possible is the whole idea behind football, which in turn means we'll win games, They sort of go hand in hand
I'm not saying we shouldn't score as many as we can, but not because we are focussing on goal difference. We should always score as many as we can.

My op was about getting bogged down on we need 5 or 6 or 7. We shouldn't be worrying about that if we make sure we perform against them and take the points.

weepm

At the moment, a better goal difference places us top of the league. That surely gives us a psychological boost and the opposite for them not to be always top.

scooter70

Right now I would take 1-0 league wins up until we play them, that game will look after itself but if we win every game up til then we are in in with a huge chance given the split of home and away games we will have played

If we score 1 more than opposition each game this month I will be delighted

BlueBearz

All this focus on goal difference for me is taking the eye off the job required.

Keep winning especially against them and goal difference won't matter in the least. We will win this league by 6 POINTS with two wins and a draw. Let's be positive.
but it would be nice to be sitting ahead of them rather than just behind