Ian St John dead

Yes Tommy, he was one of the key signings made by Bill Shankly (nephew of Rangers player Bob Blyth and uncle of Rodger Hynd) along with Billy Stevenson from Rangers and Ron (rowdy) Yeats from Dundee United.
The Evertonions hated St. John and sang to the tune of "as I was walking down the Copland Road".....

Oh we hate Bill Shankly and we hate big Ron
But most of all we hate St. John,
And we'll hang the Koppites one by one
On the banks of the Royal blue Mersey.

Remember him playing for Motherwell and Liverpool. A real footballing style centre forward.
Oh to hell with Liverpool and Celtic to,
Throw them all in the Mersey,
And we'll fight, fight, fight with all our might,
For the boys in the royal blue jerseys.

Sad news. Saturday lunchtimes watching Saint and Greavsie were great. RIP.

Guy I used to work with told me he saw the Saint score a 3 or 4 minute hatrick at Easter Road. Also met him in Musselburgh a couple of years ago at a Shankley tribute. RIP.

Sad news,I too was brought up with Saint and Greavsie

There was another thing that interested me about Ian St John ,a stat that was put to me once,and I never ever followed up on it but maybe some Bear in-the-know can confirm

Was he ever on a losing side against us ?

I am too young to appreciate his footballing talent, but I did get an Ian St John football facts book when I was a small person. Absolutely loved that book.

Rest easy Sir.

RIP Saint.

He came across as genuine every time he was on TV, he had a real infectious enthusiasm for the game.

As a few have said on here, the current football pundit shows are not a patch on Saint & Greavsie.

Sad news.

You think of him on Saint and Greavsie and you think of what we have on Sportscene and it is embarrassing.

Thanks and RIP Ian St John.

RIP Ian St John. Certainly seemed like one of the good guys. Great banter on Saint and Greavsie, always enjoyed watching that.

A sincere and heartfelt tribute from Mr Gerrard there on the RC phone-in, just what we'd expect from our manager.

Sad news indeed loved that show as a kid an integral part of my Saturday growing up . Thoughts to his family .

Saturday for many of my generation as kids was Terrahawks then Saint & Greavesie then if lucky off to Ibrox , chippy collected on the way home and sat watching the A Team eating the chippy . Heaven
My kinda day.

Sad news, Saint & Greavsie was always worth watching back in the day the two of them had some great banter going.

Just thinking gents, and no offence to kennymac (op) or anyone else but is there any chance that an admin could amend the thread title to ‘has passed away’? I might be in the minority here but the title seems a bit stark?

Cheers.

Thought it was quite poor from David Tanner breaking the news to Gerrard during a press conference.

Could easily have been done off camera. Came across that he was asking it to get a live reaction from Gerrard. Pretty poor stuff.

Thought it was quite poor from David Tanner breaking the news to Gerrard during a press conference.

Could easily have been done off camera. Came across that he was asking it to get a live reaction from Gerrard. Pretty poor stuff.

Agreed saw that earlier and thought it was outrageous. You could tell Gerrard was really taken aback by the news.

Tbf he didn’t mean it, but it lacked sensitivity.

Just thinking gents, and no offence to kennymac (op) or anyone else but is there any chance that an admin could amend the thread title to ‘has passed away’? I might be in the minority here but the title seems a bit stark?

Cheers.
He's dead. He was 82 and had a successful, fulfilling life and by all accounts he was a good human being. But now he's dead. "Passed away" is one of those horrible, cloying euphemisms that's crept into the language because people appear to be frightened of confronting the one thing that comes to us all.

I realise I'm swimming against the tide of public opinion here :)

Strangely I actually saw him play for Liverpool vs Celtic in Ron Yeats testimonial and Bobby Charlton played for Celtic...I suspect I may be the only Bluenose from Glasgow who was at that game.....

Saints and Greavsie was a staple as a boy growing up, great show with football, opinion and humour

rest in peace

Loved Saints and Greavsie when I was a youngster, they definitely knew their sport, but also did it with a rare sense of humour and took the piss out of themselves.

RIP.

His playing days were before my time so I only knew him from Saint and Greavsie on the TV every Saturday. Didn’t realise just how important he was to Liverpool. Sad day for football.

Rest in peace.

He was my late Grandpa's apprentice when he worked at Motherwell Bridge Work and Ravenscraig.
He was just making his way with Motherwell then.

Hopeless apprentice, but a brilliant footballer and a good Bluenose then too, according to my Grandpa.
Yup, my Dad reckoned that he played in the same team as the Saint (Smiths Clockworks in Motherwell); he said Saint was definitely a good Bluenose.

Used to watch Saint and Greavsie in the pub on a Saturday afternoon before the match I was at. Part of my upbringing. Ian St John was the straight man to the comical Greavsie.

RIP Ian.

RIP a lovely man.
Had the privilege of meeting him doing a company promotional TV item in the late 70's and he was in life as on TV.
Condolences to family.

What with Greaves being at death's door for so long that's spoilt my coupon.

I guess Jimmy did deserve to live longer. He was the one with the legendary chat show that'll live with me forever.

In all seriousness, farewell Saint, and over to Jim Rosenthal for the speedway and table-tennis.

I thought it was a bit of a low blow at the Press Conference yesterday when Gerrard was asked for his thoughts on Ian St Johns passing, anyone with anything about them would have realised just how raw he would have been and kept the question for another day or after when the cameras had stopped filming.

Many great memories of The Saint.Especially with Greavsie.
Their stint on Saturday lunchtime was never long enough for me.Especially if I was going to Ibrox.

The main part of the first clip is them discussing the... old firm game in ‘87.

Then after The Saint talks about attending the next day our League Cup Final win against the Sheep, where we won after penalties.
Durrant getting the winner.
I always remember Saint describing Coop’s free kick as ‘he just blasted it!’
Approx 0:55 secs

The other Rangers memory, which the Saint enjoyed was a 2-0 win we got in Paisley in season 88-89?
When Fergie scored a great goal, and the funny thing was he hit it so hard the ball boy ducked behind the goal.
The Saint loved that incident!

R.I.P Saint thanks for all the great memories.
You will be missed.

Really saddened by this news.

Seem to remember watching him on with JG on a Saturday lunchtime at my grans whilst tucking in to her amazing soup.

Ah the memories.

RIP Saint.

Johnny is that you?

Caimar a tha thu an diugh, Laudrup11Cooper?

I'm not Johnny, no.

Strangely, there used to be a big Gaelic population in Greenock. My parents went to a Gaelic church (there were at least 2 that I can remember). I went to the Highlanders Academy in Greenock for school.

pKQpo7M.jpg

bi4J6oc.jpg

Back