Is it time to bring back the booze to football?

Because thousands of beers before kick off would be sold in the stadium to people that would normally drink in the pubs on the prw before kick off.
Those places probably only stay afloat due to Ibrox traffic and Rangers see none or very little of the benefit. When Rangers tried to sell our media rights to FF and H&H I think most of us were right behind it for similar reasons.

Those places probably only stay afloat due to Ibrox traffic and Rangers see none or very little of the benefit. When Rangers tried to sell our media rights to FF and H&H I think most of us were right behind it for similar reasons.
Absolutely, you seem to agree with what i am saying.

Investing in the infrastructure to eventually turn a profit further down the line and improve the matchday experience seems in line with every other investment and enhancement the club has ever made. They don't just magically spring up in other stadiums.
I just think that the cost would be prohibitive to do it properly, the Club has or is spending £10m plus on NEH, and also have Blue Sky Lounge, Club 72, and all the other Hospitality Suites.
I don't think the extra expense could be justified
How much do posters on here reckon it would cost to put bars in all the Concourses?
Let's see how far apart they all are

The stupidity of UK drinking laws in the 21st century is still laughable.

In Engalnd the police can stop and charge football supporters drinking on a coach or mini-bus.
The same supporters could drink all game under the stand at the stadium they were travelling to and it being totally legal to do so?

Last edited:
I suspect the response you are seeing from the local landlord proves my point. The club would make money, that means someone else would not be taking that revenue
I suspect you haven’t actually read his posts.

At no point has he mentioned it being detrimental to local pubs.

I just think that the cost would be prohibitive to do it properly, the Club has or is spending £10m plus on NEH, and also have Blue Sky Lounge, Club 72, and all the other Hospitality Suites.
I don't think the extra expense could be justified
How much do posters on here reckon it would cost to put bars in all the Concourses?
Let's see how far apart they all are
You don't have to be an expert on how much things cost to see that every club down South and abroad manages to do it without it being prohibitive.

You think the draw of poorer quality beer, at higher prices, in plastic cups will be strong enough to put pubs out of business?
Yes, that is exactly what I think. Enough people will move their drinking to the stadium that it would cripple some of the pubs in the area.

Reading the other posts, the landlord in the area seems to agree, thats why he want a much smaller sports bar that would be much more limited in how many clientel it could accomodate.

Yes, that is exactly what I think. Enough people will move their drinking to the stadium that it would cripple some of the pubs in the area.

Reading the other posts, the landlord in the area seems to agree, thats why he want a much smaller sports bar that would be much more limited in how many clientel it could accomodate.
I don’t know what to tell you if you really think that, it’s complete nonsense.

No he doesn’t, he’s saying it’s not worth the expense to Rangers.

Any idea when that law came in in Spain? Sure at the Seville derby in 2009 I was drinking proper beer. You can drink proper out of the top two tiers over there, been to a few matches and done it. Put me off Spanish Football a bit that you can't drink in top two tiers to tell truth.
Think maybe 2015, went to a barca game last season and was still the same.

When I looked into it (I was going to the grand prix which was also no alcohol), everything I read said it was a blanket ban across all sports stadiums.

Because thousands of beers before kick off would be sold in the stadium to people that would normally drink in the pubs on the prw before kick off.
Maybe its just me but I'd rather stand in a pub for a few pints rather than the stadium, can take it or leave it however I would probably have a pint at half time, pubs before and after the game for me.

It would be from when the gates open which is 90 minutes to 2 hours before kick off.

The bars on prw sell loads of beer in the 2 hours before the game

do you not believe a huge number of those people would drink in the stadium rather than the pub and give money to the club?
That's not going to happen. Why would people leave a pub, where you can get a seat and go stand in a concourse, that if everybody went to, you'd never get a pint.

Ive been to plenty games in England, more so at Stamford bridge. There's plenty pubs around the bridge and they're all busy before and after the game. Nobody is allowed to take their drinks into the viewing area and it works just fine.

Actually, I think they should have built NEH twice the size, there is not enough capacity for fans that want a drink before and after the games

I’d say no. I do enjoy a bevvy but let’s be honest, could you imagine a game where everyone is steaming? It’d be a nightmare.

I remember going to the Man City friendly circa 2009-ish and was in the Louden before it. As I was heading to the stadium, the boy in front of me projective vomited all over the place cause he’d clearly had too much bevvy.

Get in, take my seat and lo and behold, who’s behind me? Yup, you guessed it, the guy who just left 12 pints on the floor of the Louden. Spent the whole game expecting him to spew down the back of my jacket.

And that’s without booze in the stadium. I’m sure we can all cope without a drink for 2 hours.

You don't have to be an expert on how much things cost to see that every club down South and abroad manages to do it without it being prohibitive.
So how much do you think it would cost to have it in all the concourses and how much do you think the Club would make after expenses

That's not going to happen. Why would people leave a pub, where you can get a seat and go stand in a concourse, that if everybody went to, you'd never get a pint.

Ive been to plenty games in England, more so at Stamford bridge. There's plenty pubs around the bridge and they're all busy before and after the game. Nobody is allowed to take their drinks into the viewing area and it works just fine.
So who is going to buy the beer in the stadium?? I am not saying it would cripple all the pubs, but the money moving will cripple some

And you seem clueless when it comes to squaring the circle that every club in Holland, England and Germany manages to sell beer in the stadium without the infrastructure to do so magically coming into existence one day.
Not magically but planning it out, do you have any idea how Ibrox could get a building warrant for this?

Maybe its just me but I'd rather stand in a pub for a few pints rather than the stadium, can take it or leave it however I would probably have a pint at half time, pubs before and after the game for me.
And thats fine for you, and no doubt many others. But if everyone chooses to continue to drink in the pub it will not make money for the club so they will not do it.

Lets say people have 3 beers in a local pub, but that now becomes 2 in the pub and one in the stadium, for some if the bars that will be significant

So how much do you think it would cost to have it in all the concourses and how much do you think the Club would make after expenses
Maybe it isn't about making a profit but improving the match day experience. Going from 130,000 people crushed in like sardines to an all seater cost money and wouldn't really lead to greater profits from ticketing, but it was done. The fact that those clubs were incentivised to do so suggests to me at least it is a profit making venture.
Not magically but planning it out, do you have any idea how Ibrox could get a building warrant for this?
No but it's hardly going to be my job is it?

In theory, I agree that beer should be sold in the stadium before and after the game. It already is in the hospitality suites. What concerns me, and why I think it’ll never happen is some people can be arseholes with drink. And they can become a nuisance. Getting up to the lavvy every 10 minutes, spewing up, talking nonsense, shouting and swearing etc.

Also, purely from a licensing point of view, it’ll be very difficult. One of the conditions is not to serve alcohol to an already intoxicated person. If someone gets lifted for being drunk and disorderly and it’s found that they’ve been getting pished in the stadium, it could have repercussions for the clubs booze licence. Not to mention the agro it may cause if someone’s refused service.

If it makes it more appealing to match attending fans then it's got to be worth a try to see if it gets more fans in across the country
The extra revenue would obviously be welcome too

That wouldn't happen in Scotland and doesn't currently happen in England. Fans still drink in pubs before the game and then may have one in the concourse before and maybe another at HT. It's not a particularly convivial experience drinking out of a plastic cup on a freezing cold concourse compared to being in a nice warm pub. It wouldn't replace the pub experience entirely. It's not as if there's no evidence base to draw upon about this.

So who is going to buy the beer in the stadium?? I am not saying it would cripple all the pubs, but the money moving will cripple some
From what I've seen, most maybe have a quick pint before kick off or at half time. The vast majority have their favoured pub before the game, much as anywhere else.

When I've been down there, the chelsea lads I meet up with, have never once went to the ground pre match. In fact we usually go to a club before and after that is like the distance from the louden to Ibrox, with not bad prices for London.

Some of the opinions on this thread are absolutely wild.

We are no different to the English and they quite comfortably deal with this situation, where they are treated like adults

If someone has a couple of pints before the game, 1 at half time they're not suddenly going to run on the pitch and start scrapping. The comparison to the old firm riot in the 80s is absolutely embarrassing, a time where you could take carry outs into games ffs!

Folk saying why can't you go without a pint for 90 mins! You could apply that to any social situation then. Just ban alcohol completely.

40 years of government social conditioning has made people think Scots are this crazed, feral alcoholic race that can't be trusted. It's so outdated and backward

Last edited:
In theory, I agree that beer should be sold in the stadium before and after the game. It already is in the hospitality suites. What concerns me, and why I think it’ll never happen is some people can be arseholes with drink. And they can become a nuisance. Getting up to the lavvy every 10 minutes, spewing up, talking nonsense, shouting and swearing etc.

Also, purely from a licensing point of view, it’ll be very difficult. One of the conditions is not to serve alcohol to an already intoxicated person. If someone gets lifted for being drunk and disorderly and it’s found that they’ve been getting pished in the stadium, it could have repercussions for the clubs booze licence. Not to mention the agro it may cause if someone’s refused service.
Are we just pretending that bars don't make most of their money from serving drunks here?

And thats fine for you, and no doubt many others. But if everyone chooses to continue to drink in the pub it will not make money for the club so they will not do it.

Lets say people have 3 beers in a local pub, but that now becomes 2 in the pub and one in the stadium, for some if the bars that will be significant
I wouldn't be changing my routine like many others, the way see it is I'd have a pint at half time if it was readily available, no big issue... I think you're reading too much into it because its not going to happen anyway.

Myself, my mate and my son go to the games. Me or my mate take turns of driving. We’d happily be in the concourse at 2pm for a pint or two before the game.

Don’t know about cost to implement it but surely it would make money over time?

there must be loads in a similar situation.

Exactly the same experience for me.
It's strange that folk cannot fathom this and make a big deal out nothing.
But it's FF and its what folk do.

I think I'm the only person that doesn't want it back. I could see it being a nightmare cunts spilling drink around you
I am in the same boat. Folk can surely go 90 plus minutes without the need for a drink. UK culture that too many folk need to be pissed out their skull and I know that is generalising but the sad fact is loads ruin it for others. It’s bad enough a European night in the bogs with folk sniffing their brains out without adding more alcohol to the mix.

Dont see why not. Having a drink at games in Europe is great and surely theres no more risk here than the likes of holland etc

People are getting tanked up before the game so a couple of pints in the stadium is hardly going to cause chaos.

The football violence today is nowhere near the 80s anyway.

Back