James Tavernier

Here is hoping that no news is good news and that the scan hasn't shown up any serious injury.

But the hysteria about him being out of the team is amazing ?

Recent games have shown that teams have set out to shut down the space both Tav and Borna exploit which has turned them more into "natural" Full Backs. The spin off to this however is that our midfielders and front 3 have more space to exploit in behind this press.

Aribo and Hagi can do the attacking damage and crosses that Tav offers.

Set Pieces from Tav had taken a dip as well - even corners were poor and changed out to be taken by others, so just a change of taker ? - Free kicks will be Borna - Hag or Kent

We will miss having a RB in the opposition 6 yrd box to score ore create goals - but maybe not lose a goal in last minute because same RB is in opposition half ?

Would rather he was fit and in the team - but if he isn't then we should be able to manage.
Hysteria that people are worried that our captain and one of our best players are out as is his understudy as we look to clinch the league and progress in Europe. Okay.

Still never had mine repaired. Fitba career is finished but have run marathons and ski on it every year.
I did my ACL the ’wonderful’ NHS decided I didn’t need reconstruction surgery. Now 26 years on I’ve been told I’ll need knee replacement surgery at some point hence I’m out on my bike and in normal times low impact stuff at the gym. I’ll always be bitter that they didn’t do as I asked and reconstruct the ACL despite requesting a second opinion.
I thought Tav’s looked a bad one at the time and still do. I have my doubts he’s back this season but I hope and pray I’m wrong. Get well Captain.

Two entirely different types of games Europe v Domestic.

10 or 11 men behind the ball is harder to breakdown and we're finding it as such. Less goals equals less margin for error going forward. Tav is a player that brings an extra dimension in attack that we will miss. The team will be impacted, but I agree, the coaching staff is in a better position this year (with more experience) to come up with a solution; I just hope the solution isn't to persist with an inside #10 along with balogun on the right as the balance will not be great going forward.
I'd usually agree but on Thursday in the 2nd half whenever Antwerp were winning they were camping behind the ball pretty much.

I was heartened at how aggressive we were being and how quickly we were moving the ball around to break through it.

The entire point of Tav's challenge was to not go through the ball.
It wasn't a defensive challenge but instead a controlled attempt to wrestle the ball away from the opponent and then keep possession of the ball whilst staying on his feet.
Technically given the area of the park it was the correct approach.

A full-bloodied tackle would have lost control of the situation and may well have exposed us to a counter-attack.

There is often some risk in any challenge at full speed in football.
Tav was unlucky.
I don’t disagree in part of what your saying but again you seem to be inferring something that I wasn’t suggesting.

My Original point was that they way in which he challenged slightly pulling out the challenge in the 50:50 exposed him to the injury....and that if you don’t go in full then that’s the risk.....as most of us are taught from a young age. That’s all....I wasn’t giving him pelters.

I don’t disagree in part of what your saying but again you seem to be inferring something that I wasn’t suggesting.

My Original point was that they way in which he challenged slightly pulling out the challenge in the 50:50 exposed him to the injury....and that if you don’t go in full then that’s the risk.....as most of us are taught from a young age. That’s all....I wasn’t giving him pelters.
If he went in fully in the manner he did the injury would probably be worse.

I did my ACL the ’wonderful’ NHS decided I didn’t need reconstruction surgery. Now 26 years on I’ve been told I’ll need knee replacement surgery at some point hence I’m out on my bike and in normal times low impact stuff at the gym. I’ll always be bitter that they didn’t do as I asked and reconstruct the ACL despite requesting a second opinion.
I thought Tav’s looked a bad one at the time and still do. I have my doubts he’s back this season but I hope and pray I’m wrong. Get well Captain.
I've had nine done under 2 years ago. Let me tell you that the NHS done a brilliant job, but there are also no guarantees surgery is a full fix. Even with all the physio I'm still not what I was. And even 10 years ago never mind 26 there was less understanding of how to best repair it. They strongly recommend physio immediately after surgery now for example

Tav didn’t ‘pull out’ of any tackle. He went in looking to nick the ball away - rather like Alfie did with the goalkeeper for our first goal - rather than win a full-blooded tackle. Can argue that was the wrong choice but it’s simply not correct to suggest he ‘pulled out’ in the manner some appear to be suggesting.

It is a blow but we will manage.
Folk shouting that its a disaster will be same folk on match threads saying he should be dropped as he's not been same since he missed a penalty.
Place is full of schizophreniacs
Exactly. We will manage!

It's not ideal, it is a blow, but if we can't close out the remaining games needed to clinch the league with Balogun at right back then I would suggest the problem went deeper than just the right back position

I’ve spoke to Doctors before who reckoned if you do your knee ligaments you wont escape needing a replacement later regardless. Not sure if it’s true or not tbh

Tav didn’t ‘pull out’ of any tackle. He went in looking to nick the ball away - rather like Alfie did with the goalkeeper for our first goal - rather than win a full-blooded tackle. Can argue that was the wrong choice but it’s simply not correct to suggest he ‘pulled out’ in the manner some appear to be suggesting.

Exactly how it was .

Can't believe the amount of folk that didn't see it that way.

I'd usually agree but on Thursday in the 2nd half whenever Antwerp were winning they were camping behind the ball pretty much.

I was heartened at how aggressive we were being and how quickly we were moving the ball around to break through it.

I personally thought it was a very open back to front type of game; nothing like what we've experienced domestically, but it really is a game of opinions.

I'll maintain if we play Balogun (prob the best in club option) then we should get Kent to the other side of the pitch to make sure we've still got width both sides.

I personally thought it was a very open back to front type of game; nothing like what we've experienced domestically, but it really is a game of opinions.

I'll maintain if we play Balogun (prob the best in club option) then we should get Kent to the other side of the pitch to make sure we've still got width both sides.
I know what you mean. Out of possession Antwerp were defensive but when they won the ball back they did commit men forward and we were getting joy by winning it back off them quickly.

Domestically teams won't commit men forward like that so I take the point.

I've had nine done under 2 years ago. Let me tell you that the NHS done a brilliant job, but there are also no guarantees surgery is a full fix. Even with all the physio I'm still not what I was. And even 10 years ago never mind 26 there was less understanding of how to best repair it. They strongly recommend physio immediately after surgery now for example
At the time it was not an uncommon surgery i had a work mate and a neighbour who did the same thing at the same time and both were given surgery. I was not offered surgery because my knee was ‘stable’ but told no more football, tennis, squash or table tennis. I requested a second opinion but that’s pointless as your still asking the NHS to review an NHS decision! Should be referred to an independent person to review it surely? So my view of this was it was a financial decision which potentially will cost more money longer term hence I passed on applauding them. I remain of the view that the front line staff are top drawer but the administration behind them are very poor. Just my ‘jaundiced’ view!

I’ve spoke to Doctors before who reckoned if you do your knee ligaments you wont escape needing a replacement later regardless. Not sure if it’s true or not tbh
Yes that’s true not in all cases but in quite a few. However if they fix the ACL it assists your life at a younger age.

Here is hoping that no news is good news and that the scan hasn't shown up any serious injury.

But the hysteria about him being out of the team is amazing ?

Recent games have shown that teams have set out to shut down the space both Tav and Borna exploit which has turned them more into "natural" Full Backs. The spin off to this however is that our midfielders and front 3 have more space to exploit in behind this press.

Aribo and Hagi can do the attacking damage and crosses that Tav offers.

Set Pieces from Tav had taken a dip as well - even corners were poor and changed out to be taken by others, so just a change of taker ? - Free kicks will be Borna - Hag or Kent

We will miss having a RB in the opposition 6 yrd box to score ore create goals - but maybe not lose a goal in last minute because same RB is in opposition half ?

Would rather he was fit and in the team - but if he isn't then we should be able to manage.
Think the point is that our fullbacks are essential to the way we play and not having one on the right makes things easier for the opposition only having to worry about 1 side

I think we all thought when Alfie had a hole in his leg he would be out for sometime but fortunately it was not serious

Hysteria that people are worried that our captain and one of our best players are out as is his understudy as we look to clinch the league and progress in Europe. Okay.
'Hysteria' and 'panty wetters' are the phrases of choice for the discerning effefferati.

Wouldn't let it irk you mate.

That said, Tav is so crucial to our system we can only hope for the best possible news. I'm hanging onto the fact he tried to come back on as a hopeful indicator.

'Hysteria' and 'panty wetters' are the phrases of choice for the discerning effefferati.

That said, Tav is so crucial to our system we can only hope for the best possible news. I'm hanging onto the fact he tried to come back on as a hopeful indicator.

I am hopeful but at the same time fearing the worst.

Every other post I see seems to be accusing folk of being panty wetters for being concerned about anything. Next time I see it I think I'm going to wet my pants.

I don’t think it’s an ACL injury, Rather medial ligament. I understand they are more prone to stretch like a rubber band than snap like the Piano wire ACL.

I think the best we can hope for is 3/4 months out and fully fit for July.

I did my ACL in 88. Wonderful NHS Reconstructed it in 91 (I was lucky - crutches for 3 months and a brace for another 3) and still going strong no issues. Havent played football for 30 years mind.

I don’t think he did.
I think there were three ways he could’ve gone in.
To nick it as you’re suggesting.
The way he did which I think was with a firm side foot in the hope he comes out with the ball still under a degree of control.
Or just a full blooded smash right through everything and the ball goes anywhere.
Whatever he did, he didn’t pull out of it.

I don’t think it’s an ACL injury, Rather medial ligament. I understand they are more prone to stretch like a rubber band than snap like the Piano wire ACL.

I think the best we can hope for is 3/4 months out and fully fit for July.

I did my ACL in 88. Wonderful NHS Reconstructed it in 91 (I was lucky - crutches for 3 months and a brace for another 3) and still going strong no issues. Havent played football for 30 years mind.
It’s definitely his medial and you’re correct. Your post highlighted the scatter gun approach by the NHS you my work colleague my neighbour all get reconstructed I don’t. Wonderful to you and them not wonderful to me. Tav is fortunate he’s going to be treated privately I wish I had paid for back then bizarrely never crossed my mind no idea why!

He does the same thing a lot - it often works where he nicks it by a player and then still has control of the ball

With balogun in at right back I expect the defence to be tighter and barasic having more freedom to get forward. It's up to the forward players to bring in what we will miss through tav

Saying he pulled out is pure nonsense

He went to ‘block’ the challenge rather than just strike through it in a good old fashioned 50/50 meaning his foot was side on (rather than laces) and twisted putting pressure on the inside of his knee (I don’t similar in a silly games of 7’s but mines was saving a pen and I done my knee)

He never shat it, bottled it or pulled out. As you say the only argument is he maybe went for the wrong type of challenge in the circumstances

Saying he pulled out is pure nonsense

He went to ‘block’ the challenge rather than just strike through it in a good old fashioned 50/50 meaning his foot was side on (rather than laces) and twisted putting pressure on the inside of his knee (I don’t similar in a silly games of 7’s but mines was saving a pen and I done my knee)

He never shat it, bottled it or pulled out. As you say the only argument is he maybe went for the wrong type of challenge in the circumstances
It wasn’t a 50/50. More a 60/40. Hence why the other guy could plant his foot before Tav could.

He’s going to be a massive miss at such an important point in the season.

As for the pulling out side of it, he didn’t pull out, he simply went in with a loose leg, opened it up and came off second best.

He’s never been the best tackler but I have to say, you go in to a 50/50 like that then you are in trouble - he needs to take that on the chin

He’s not looking like it’s a serious knee injury sitting in the stand. More hopeful now this might be less serious than feared.

Back