Josh Windass

Poor in the first half. Better in the second half and he was involved the goals.

For me he is a luxury we cannot afford. You can't just start a player who is going to give you twenty minutes a match

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Seemed to perk right up at 2-0 as if he thought “right, pressure off, I can sniff out a goal now and claim that I’ve done my bit”

Another woeful display and his overall tally for the season isn’t going to disguise his glaring deficiencies for me.
That’s exactly how I read it. Fairweather player - not what you need when you’re up against it.

He’s too busy on social media than what efforts can be put into the team. Genuinely think he’s not good enough to be at Rangers. Hit and miss player who will only realise where he is now when he ends up back at a League 1/2 club.

Since when is Windass the type of player to produce something out of nothing?

Most of his goals are relatively straight forward close range finishes

We all know you have criticisms of windass, some warranted, but to dismiss most of his goals as straight forward close range finishes demeans your arguments. For a start your ignoring his movement to find the space for these easy finishes.

I think we should all be saying he’s great and then maybe his goal tally and us boosting him up might mean we get a decent fee for him. We should bite the hand off any good offer.

I'm going to go against the curve here.
I actually think he is a decent player. I think he has potential.

I agree he was poor today. In fact he has been poor several games this year. So I completely get what everyone is saying.

Pros
Athletic (very quick, can also leap to win a header)
His finishing is good. Probably a high conversion rate (Not sure on the facts behind this - I'd hold my hands up if proven wrong)
He can score several types of goals.
Good timing and runs behind the defence.

Cons
Inability to play a creative pass through a defence (an important factor for his position).
I'd also want him to constantly buzz around looking to receive a pass, even if marked (providing he didn't then lose the ball)
Also he doesn't win enough second balls, especially for his position where defenders and midfielders are battling for headers he should be on the front foot to pick up the loose balls.

For these reasons I get everyone's point. But there is potential there for him to constantly perform. I actually prefer him up top rather than behind the striker. But he's not suited to every game, unless he can improve on the 'cons'.

He epitomises the difference between being skilful and being ble to play professional football.

As others said he perked up at two nil but he wasn’t alone and therein lies the problem with this fragile squad.

We can all look good when there isn’t any pressure.

Only interested in himself is josh. Had a great purple patch but is back to the josh we are used to, it would be criminal to start him next week
Even during that purple patch where he scored and set up others he was absolutely anonymous , really hope someone bids for him , can't stand him, as for next week, he will be in hiding again despite the fact he has talent as he clearly thinks he doesn't need to work as hard as others.

If we had dropped points today it would have been largely down to him, 2 chances he had that would have been almost guaranteed goals if he'd passed but took the shot on

Total pish. Set up the Murphy 1v1 in the first half with a good reverse through ball (which Murphy made a total arse of); Set up the opening Cummings goal with a clipped through pass to the left; Hit a good dig early, low and to the keepers left which drew a good save and a corner. Not saying he was magnificent but the fact you probably didn’t notice any of the above tells its own story.

Made probably two slack passes and everyone was straight on his back. Dorrans/McCrorie does the same two minutes later and everyone just gets on with it. Embarrassing.

That was a very good flick but to say he 'set up the goal' is truly embarassing.
He's a passenger, a luxury we can't afford unless you're so desperate to accept mediocrity you reckon three good things a game is acceptable.

He is more suited to away games where he has space to run into, he is not a creative player that will break teams down with players behind the ball.

Murty will undoubtedly start him next week, seems to have a real soft spot for him

I agree we need a lot more for him if he is to have a place in the XI every week, however the whole team came alive in the second half when we started harrying, pressing and shutting Hearts down all over the pitch. That meant Windass, Murphy and Candeias all got on the ball much higher up the pitch and at pace. All three have the ability to hurt teams when we play like that. Yes, we need a lot more from him, but the current Rangers team has a lot more wrong with it than the application levels of one player. I'd be interested to see how he gets on with a bona fide manager instead of the charlatan we currently have in the job.

Some ridiculous comments on here. Is this the same windass that was involved in the 1st goal or put one on a plate for Murphy in the 1st half? He played ok today, not great but not as bad as people like to make out. He seems to be the whipping boy for most.

Keep saying it,a player who flatters to deceive,has the skill and a good shot in him but has no football brain,positional sense leaves a lot to be desired causing him to drift out off games,decision making is woeful.

There's absolutely no chance he can start next weekend!

A passenger for 95% of the game today.

Does every footballer take abuse on twitter? I don't use it so not really sure if you can block out the negativity etc.

Josh windass is excellent on the ball, in fact he's one of our best players on the ball. Biggest problem is he is very rarely on the ball. If the boy would figure out a way to get involved more we would have some player on our hands. Sadly, just doesn't seem to have it. I don't even think it's a heart issue. Think he just can't make the decisions he needs to, to get him self involved.
Excellent on the ball?

He is terrible on the ball, his decision making is deplorable, he's unable to play 5/10 yard passes in behind for runners and doesn't have the ability which also suggests he doesn't have the vision to spot the runners and if he does see them, then it just emphasizes how limited he is as a footballer, never a #10 in his life and should be no where near our starting 11.

True but I dont think hes as bad as made out.
He is probably one of the most frustrating players we have. I think we all expect more of him. And we are right to.

He has ability.
We just need to see more of his good performances, or at least we need to see him giving his everything even in his not so good games.

Total pish. Set up the Murphy 1v1 in the first half with a good reverse through ball (which Murphy made a total arse of); Set up the opening Cummings goal with a clipped through pass to the left; Hit a good dig early, low and to the keepers left which drew a good save and a corner. Not saying he was magnificent but the fact you probably didn’t notice any of the above tells its own story.

Made probably two slack passes and everyone was straight on his back. Dorrans/McCrorie does the same two minutes later and everyone just gets on with it. Embarrassing.
It isn’t nobodies noticed that mate, its the fact that’s all he’s done in ninety minutes. He was pretty anonymous the whole first half apart from the bread and butter reverse pass you referred to.

He is probably one of the most frustrating players we have. I think we all expect more of him. And we are right to.

He has ability.
We just need to see more of his good performances, or at least we need to see him giving his everything even in his not so good games.
He needs coached, hopefully he gets that and becomes a great for us.

Another week another thread.

I defend him on here as I think he has potential to be an important player. If he leaves I wouldn't be too upset. If he stays and gets a chance under a new manager in a different formation, I wouldn't be unhappy. Not overly bothered either way.

What I don't like is the constant abuse of coward, imposter and worse that he receives on here. The forum used to have rules that were enforced.

He needs coached, hopefully he gets that and becomes a great for us.
I agree that he will continue to improve through coaching. As will others.

But quite simply, if he is shown to give us hard work, teamwork, and leave his all on the pitch he will win over a lot of the fans.

The fans will never criticise a player for giving their all. They might only question the person who picked to play them in a specific match.
If Josh is seen to be leaving everything he has on the pitch he will win over some fans. And we wouldn't be able to ask any more of him.

On Twitter again having a go at fans who are rightly digging him out for his first half performance.

Someone needs to pull him aside and get him off that.

I agree that he will continue to improve through coaching. As will others.

But quite simply, if he is shown to give us hard work, teamwork, and leave his all on the pitch he will win over a lot of the fans.

The fans will never criticise a player for giving their all. They might only question the person who picked to play them in a specific match.
If Josh is seen to be leaving everything he has on the pitch he will win over some fans. And we wouldn't be able to ask any more of him.
I'm not defending him anymore.

He just used "of" instead of "have" on Twitter and that's unacceptable.

Back