Kamberi?

Some say they didn't fancy him but would take him at £150,000 because it's cheap.

Another squad filler and if we are going into a season with Morelos/his replacement, Kamberi and Defoe, then don't expect much.

For £150k I would take him. Another option up top. Low wages. Agreed he will not be the answer and need better quality but I would take him aswell.

See when I criticise Gerrard and about 100 people hit out with the ‘whose your replacement for him then?’ line - can I ask people who are saying no to Kamberi for £150,000 what level of player/cost they’re looking at for our third striker?

Personally, if Morelos is out, Defoe or Kamberi are in no way capable of leading for any period of time. We’d need another striker in the Morelos mould
I’m sorry to break this to you but the only way we are getting a top quality striker in the “Morelos” Mould is If he leaves

We’d be going completely against what Ross Wilson state’s two weeks ago by going backwards.

That we made this mistake last summer and have surely learned, leads me to think this is just paper talk

Replacing Morelos with Dykes is going backwards.

Paying £150,000 for Kamberi as third choice striker isn’t.

I’d rather see us bring in Turay from St Truiden, there’s something there wit him. Hopefully the links are true

We get a bit hung up on stats sometimes.

He had an impact in both games against Braga, especially the first leg off the bench. His pace, movement and energy created all sorts of problems.

You've mentioned the St Johnstone game. Just before that game, he was praised for his performance off the bench against Livingston.

With limited minutes over 9 appearances, many wanted him to start games for us very quickly. I think he done ok overall, and as I say, if the price is genuinely that low, I believe he's worth it.
I'm not trying to take anything away from his loan spell, I thought he was decent in parts as well - I just thought that maybe we were remembering him as a bit better than he was. In terms of "third choice" striker that someone that could operate out wide then for £150k then it's a bargain and I said that earlier in the thread.

My overriding point about signing Kamberi is that if we want to challenge for the league this season and given the way that firstly we play and secondly Gerrard actually uses his squad then we really need better up front than Kamberi.

But hey, if we go into the season with Defoe, Morelos, Kamberi and another top quality striker then fantastic - but I can't see us utilising all 4 properly when we play with one up top.

The reported fee would be great but we would still need better than the aforementioned.

Not really.

Morelos being injured or more likely suspended means that we’d miss a physical presence if we had to depend on Defoe. Kamberi is strong, fast and knows the league - a bit more talented than he’s given credit for as well.

Anyone expecting wholesale changes to the starting XI outside of Hagi is going to be disappointed.
Again as I've said earlier, in terms of doing a job and operating in more than one position in the final third then for £150k it's would be a good deal.

My problem with it is if the window closed tomorrow and we went into the season with Morelos, Defoe and Kamberi as the options up front then I'd be concerned.

I don't expect any wholesale changes to the starting 11 either for that matter but if we want to challenge for the title and not whimper out after the winter break then we need some solid investment this summer - I've said on another threads we need 3-4 to be coming into the starting 11.

Doesn’t matter if it’ a free do people honestly want him as our 3rd striker???

Again as I've said earlier, in terms of doing a job and operating in more than one position in the final third then for £150k it's would be a good deal.

My problem with it is if the window closed tomorrow and we went into the season with Morelos, Defoe and Kamberi as the options up front then I'd be concerned.

I don't expect any wholesale changes to the starting 11 either for that matter but if we want to challenge for the title and not whimper out after the winter break then we need some solid investment this summer - I've said on another threads we need 3-4 to be coming into the starting 11.

I honestly believe the only way we could afford to sign 3 or 4 players better than what we have in our current first eleven would be by getting big money for at least 2 of our current squad. With nothing happening that way so far, it's hard to see us having the cash.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I honestly believe the only way we could afford to sign 3 or 4 players better than what we have in our current first eleven would be by getting big money for at least 2 of our current squad. With nothing happening that way so far, it's hard to see us having the cash.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
I totally get what you are saying and it's true - my opinion on what we need and what we have in the bank to spend are two different conversations, even more so given the current global circumstances.

I think most of us were surprised to see Hagi sign for £3m, hopefully the club are working on similar deals.

Third striker or not, he’s still a Hibs level striker.

Every signing we make should be either Rangers quality or have the potential to make that level. Why not take a punt on a younger player who has a higher ceiling?

We know what we’re going to get with Kamberi. An average SPFL player. We aren’t winning any leagues with players like him.

I'm a little biased when it comes to Kamberi, as I liked the look of him as a player from the start at Hibs, so I accept that I could be wrong here.

But for the people saying we need a better 3rd choice striker - the team we're trying to beat don't have a better 3rd choice striker as it stands. Kamberi is better in our league than the likes of Bayo or Klimala.

Third striker or not, he’s still a Hibs level striker.

Every signing we make should be either Rangers quality or have the potential to make that level. Why not take a punt on a younger player who has a higher ceiling?

We know what we’re going to get with Kamberi. An average SPFL player. We aren’t winning any leagues with players like him.

So just because he previously played with Hibs, that makes him a Hibs-level striker?

Nonsense quotes like ‘we aren’t winning any leagues with players like him’ make you want to rip your eyes out - as a third choice, tell me realistically who is better?

The snobbery around domestic signings is brain-dead.

We’d better or we can forget winning the league.
You do know that of the 6 league games he played in his short tenure he was directly involved in 3 of the 5 goals we scored which won 4 of the 8 points we got in those 6 games.

could do far worse than Florian Kamberi as third choice and Would probably cost more. I personally would try and get some sort of swap deal involving Brandon Barker.

So just because he previously played with Hibs, that makes him a Hibs-level striker?

Nonsense quotes like ‘we aren’t winning any leagues with players like him’ make you want to rip your eyes out - as a third choice, tell me realistically who is better?

The snobbery around domestic signings is brain-dead.
Do you think a strikeforce of Morelos/Defoe/Kamberi would be good enough to win the silverware this season?

No one would turn Kamberi away for £150k but I think most of us recognise that we have a big squad as it is and if we are going to bring in a striker than it needs to be someone to challenge for the starting berth.

If the dead rubbers like Jones, Barker etc moved on then you can justify it, but these guys are going to be difficult to move on as well.

See when I criticise Gerrard and about 100 people hit out with the ‘whose your replacement for him then?’ line - can I ask people who are saying no to Kamberi for £150,000 what level of player/cost they’re looking at for our third striker?

Defoe should be our third striker.

Morelos, Kamberi, Defoe isn't league winning material, especially if Morelos picks up an injury, suspension or loss of form like the last two seasons.

Ideally we go with Morelos/replacement, Vydra/Andone/similar ability, Defoe.

We are competing on four fronts. We need options, we need to be able to mix it up in terms of formations, we need quality, players pushing each other.

If Morelos drops out and we are relying on a Kamberi or Dykes then we won't be winning much.

Do you think a strikeforce of Morelos/Defoe/Kamberi would be good enough to win the silverware this season?

No one would turn Kamberi away for £150k but I think most of us recognise that we have a big squad as it is and if we are going to bring in a striker than it needs to be someone to challenge for the starting berth.

If the dead rubbers like Jones, Barker etc moved on then you can justify it, but these guys are going to be difficult to move on as well.

If we get a bit of luck with form, fitness and suspensions then I literally can’t see any reason why those three wouldn’t be enough.

One of the best young strikers about, en experienced ex-England international who 100 plus goals at the top level and a strong, fast striker who knows the league and already knows the squad - I’m struggling to think of a scenario where our three strikers are more nicely rounded than that.

£150k for a player who has something a bit different about him seems decent to me. He is a bit unlucky that we didn’t get the chance to see enough of him, but he was lively in a team that was playing with lead in their boots. We do need additional top quality players, but we also need a 3rd striker.

For “£150k” as quoted, is a good price. Even if he isn’t a starter, he showed more desire when he came on than some of the others in recent games. He wanted to be there and showed he wanted to be there. Good backup even if we do go for a dearer option.

If we get a bit of luck with form, fitness and suspensions then I literally can’t see any reason why those three wouldn’t be enough.

One of the best young strikers about, en experienced ex-England international who 100 plus goals at the top level and a strong, fast striker who knows the league and already knows the squad - I’m struggling to think of a scenario where our three strikers are more nicely rounded than that.
I admire your optimism.

But in a world where Morelos downs tools after Christmas, gets needlessly suspended throughout the season, goes away to Colombia when he's suspended and returns late, and we have a 37 year old striker that's not trained or played properly in 4 months as he got injured playing 2-3 times a week then I don't think we can rely on them.

If it was me then I'd sign Kamberi as well, I'm really not trying to slag the guy off and say he's shite as he really isn't, but given what we know about Gerrard and the way he manages the squad then we need better than Kamberi.

If guys like Stewart, Jones, Barker, Murphy etc leave then by all means bring Kamberi in as he can operate in a few positions.

It's not about mates, it's about what's best for Rangers.

Gerrard has to deliver this season.

I agree, but I think we’ve seen already that it’s often about Gerrard proving himself to be correct rather than adapting to the task at hand - the marriage to 4-3-3 and his band of undroppables proving that.

Defoe will never be below second striker while he’s at the club. It’s as simple as that, but it doesn’t mean it’s right.

I think Kamberi as a backup would be good business for 150K.

He would offer a bit different kind of movement at 70th minute and sure knows where the goal is.

I don't think anyone thinks he's thought as a replacement for Alfredo

150K is good value. Wasn't keen on him when he first signed but he done enough to impress me in his short spell.

It's a difficult one. Kamberi is obviously better than a £150k player. However agree with the posters who say we have to many squad fillers and Kamberi would just add to the crowd.

Maybe not relevant, however if we hadn't signed Jordan Jones last year and he was available from Kilmarnock for £150k, would it be different? Suppose what I'm saying is, would u take Jordan Jones knowing what he offered us last season for £150k and a relatively high wage?
Because think that's what Kamberi might offer us if we sign him.
Difficult to judge though since JJ was bombed out after the old firm.

Not the same position but think they are a similar level of player.

I’m not looking for a third choice. I’m just wanting some of good quality to compete with Morelos and offer something different as second choice.

I’m not looking for a third choice. I’m just wanting some of good quality to compete with Morelos and offer something different as second choice.

We both know while Morelos and Defoe are here, the only slot open is third choice.

And with that in mind, £150,000 for Kamberi is the favourite for that slot.

We both know while Morelos and Defoe are here, the only slot open is third choice.

And with that in mind, £150,000 for Kamberi is the favourite for that slot.
I don’t think we’ll go into next season with Defoe as second choice.

I’d only take Kamberi if we can get a fee for the likes of Jones and Murphy and if we can manage to offload Barker.

We should be going after Boyle then before the poets nip him.

We can forget winning the league if Kamberi is 3rd choice striker but we should sign Martin Boyle?

Not sure I think those opinions square up, especially as Boyle is a couple of years older and plays a position we don't really accommodate.

Based on us only being able to play one style with him. How many goals has he actually scored that puts us ahead?
Not very many im assuming as he's usually a substitute? Why does that matter? He's scored 13 goals in 20 league matches, what more do people want from a backup striker?

Back