Lafferty

His movement in the box yesterday was awful. Loads of crosses coming in, but he was never a threat - and that was against a Hamilton Accademical defence ffs.

I've certainly never rated the guy.

Can't believe some people's excuse for him is to point out "Villareal" ! :rolleyes:

He wasn’t great yesterday but c’mon to f@ck - dreadful, awful, shocking, as bad as Kevin Kyle and Ostenstad? Really? Some amount of hyperbole as usual. Get a grip guys.

His movement in the box yesterday was awful. Loads of crosses coming in, but he was never a threat - and that was against a Hamilton Accademical defence ffs.

I've certainly never rated the guy.

Can't believe some people's excuse for him is to point out "Villareal" ! :rolleyes:

He was nowhere near as bad as people are making out. He hit the post in the first minute, hit the side netting with the move of the game started by him...and if it wasn’t for a world class save in the second half he would’ve got his goal.

The service was woeful yesterday....yes perhaps his movement could’ve been better but so many of the cross yesterday were lost causes.

He was nowhere near as bad as people are making out. He hit the post in the first minute, hit the side netting with the move of the game started by him...and if it wasn’t for a world class save in the second half he would’ve got his goal.

The service was woeful yesterday....yes perhaps his movement could’ve been better but so many of the cross yesterday were lost causes.
Each to their own. I thought he offered nothing - again.

I'd happily sell him back to Hearts and get our money back.

He is as frustrating a player as I remember him being first time around. Don't get me wrong, a goal wrongly called offside last week and a wonder save from the keeper yesterday have denied him two goals which may have had us all feeling slightly differently towards him today. But his all round play so far has been nowhere near the standard we require.

He is as frustrating a player as I remember him being first time around. Don't get me wrong, a goal wrongly called offside last week and a wonder save from the keeper yesterday have denied him two goals which may have had us all feeling slightly differently towards him today. But his all round play so far has been nowhere near the standard we require.
Yep - first time around he was very poor. It's no shock that he is as poor again this time around.

SG has been badly advised on this one.

If you watch the match back you can see that he was actually very unlucky yesterday and led the line well.

His first minute miss was bad. No denying that. But then again, other forwards of ours have had worse misses than that in the last 12 months.

His header save was astonishing from the keeper and his movement and energy made the chance for himself that was side footed into the side net.

He also scored last week and other chances he had yesterday were simply the ball being a fraction of an inch too high etc.

Some in here just want Laff to be bad and nothing he does will ever satisfy them. I’m not saying he’s a world beater but I find myself arguing the same thing again second time round that I argued last time he was here.

Anyway, off to work now.

If you watch the match back you can see that he was actually very unlucky yesterday and led the line well.

His first minute miss was bad. No denying that. But then again, other forwards of ours have had worse misses than that in the last 12 months.

His header save was astonishing from the keeper and his movement and energy made the chance for himself that was side footed into the side net.

He also scored last week and other chances he had yesterday were simply the ball being a fraction of an inch too high etc.

Some in here just want Laff to be bad and nothing he does will ever satisfy them. I’m not saying he’s a world beater but I find myself arguing the same thing again second time round that I argued last time he was here.

Anyway, off to work now.

Some of the comments on here are pathetic and don’t hold water either when you dissect the game.

I wouldn't give Lafferty another start for us. He is woeful. Same as last time, disappears for vast majority of the season and after giving it the big 'I'm home!' shpeel he has been nothing short of awful for us since his return.

Just watched our goal again on BBC News. It was Lafferty receiving the ball to feet in then box, turning, getting a shot away which was blocked that led to the goal.

Plenty soaking tampons on already I see.

He was denied in the first minute, and by an absolute worldie of a save in the second half. The keeper has played the game of his life.

These things happen, we won the points, and we are top.

Kyle did his job today.
He missed a header from 2 yards out.....

I wouldn't give Lafferty another start for us. He is woeful. Same as last time, disappears for vast majority of the season and after giving it the big 'I'm home!' shpeel he has been nothing short of awful for us since his return.
Nail on the head mate.

The second I heard we were bringing him back, my heart sank.

Just wait till April. 15 goals in his last 6 games I’m going for single handedly bringing 55 home.

The whole being good for the run in thing has always had a touch of the shits to it.

A great month or two a season rarely made up for the dross that went before it.

He scored a perfectly good goal at Dundee and was very unlucky with his headers yesterday.

A bit of luck and he`d have scored 3 in 2 games.

Morelos has missed many sitters as do almost all strikers.

It`s harsh to criticise him too much considering he has had very little match time.

He was rusty but it's not exactly surprising giving his lack of game time. To judge him properly he would need a good run in the team, same with a lot of our players who are getting the odd game here and there.

Circumstances dictate that won't be happening any time soon, as Alfredo is our best player and will play when available. He's just far too vital to our overall play.

He is exactly the player we knew we were buying. He's a decent back up striker but never first choice. He wasnt when he was last here and he hasnt gotten any better since.

With Sadiq and Ejaria away our attacking options are now very limited and if Morelos was to pick up an Injury we are fecked.

I would expect Gerrard will invest in at least 2 new forward options in January. We are struggling to score goals.

Can someone please tell me what the fk he brings to Rangers. Comfortably the tallest player on the park yet despite some brilliant delivery from Candias and Barasic in particular plus the 20 odd corners he still can't get on the end of a single one to find the net.
His positioning is utter dog shit for a striker and he doesn't create for others either.

Now we are relying on this guy to get us goals in the absence of wee Alfredo but yet again up against an extremely poor Hamilton side he has offered us sweat f a.

Remember this is the guy who on his return here promised to give this support 110% every chance he gets. Well if ever there was an opportunity to start to make good on that promise it was today and I'm definitely not seeing it.

He's not alone by any means there are others who imo who are not offering nearly enough but for me Lafferty has been piss poor since his return at a time when we need so much more from him.

Unfortunately, its impossible, for me, to disagree.

We are forced to play him because we have no one else. We badly need a striker that can compete with Alfredo in January, whether we can get Solanke on loan or not I don’t know.
We'd have been better having a punt on Naismith,which I know won't go down well in some quarters,but I think he offers far more and an ideal replacement as he's as close to Alfie as we can get,far more industrious and always tormented them when we came up against them. Don't know if Solanke comes if he'll be as good.

I was against him coming back but he started off remarkably well but has completely faded and hasn't done anything really since Villarreal away. It's no surprise that once he was back and in his own comfort zone his form would fade.

I honestly don't believe Gerrard wanted him it was a strange signing imo.

While Lafferty’sform has been questionable and he needs to start showing a hell of a lot more, we can’t really damn him for heading. He’s never been good at it and wasn’t bought for that. Like s lot of tall gangly players, he’s just shit in the air. If you watch him, he hunches so he almost gets smaller as he jumps. My best explanation for this is that these guys don’t actually have to jump to win the ball when they start playing so never learn how to. Then, by the time that they hit semi-pro or pro, they are up against defenders and other smaller forwards who are at a similar level but have actually had to learn timing and spring. The big guy then is at a disadvantage to these players who are better at the actual technique and increasingly wilts into themselves.

Big guys who are commanding in the air as forwards are fairly rare. Brave average height strong guys who know how to jump are more common. Morelos is an example of this, albeit not as prolific as some.

Where Lafferty’s height is more useful is in hold up play. Long balls that bounce off morelos’ head making someone have to win the second ball can be chested down by Lafferty. His height has uses. But it is not in winning aerial duels for crosses.

I knew it would be like this when he returned everything he does bad is highlighted and anything he does well is ignored.nobody has said he was great yesterday equally not everything he did yesterday was awful.as someone on the thread has pointed out it’s his shot the keeper saves that leads to the goal.from day one the first time he signed and the transfer fee Walter paid some people on here have been against him as if it was his fault fir the transfer fee.

We'd have been better having a punt on Naismith,which I know won't go down well in some quarters,but I think he offers far more and an ideal replacement as he's as close to Alfie as we can get,far more industrious and always tormented them when we came up against them. Don't know if Solanke comes if he'll be as good.
Naismith would be little or no use to us now as his knee is fucked

I knew it would be like this when he returned everything he does bad is highlighted and anything he does well is ignored.nobody has said he was great yesterday equally not everything he did yesterday was awful.as someone on the thread has pointed out it’s his shot the keeper saves that leads to the goal.from day one the first time he signed and the transfer fee Walter paid some people on here have been against him as if it was his fault fir the transfer fee.

Ovie is away now and Coulibaly was on the bench the arseholes need a new whipping boy now :D

I thought he played well today. He was very unlucky on two occasions and helped set up the winner, even if it was accidental. He worked extremely hard and linked very well with the midfield. Our inability to create is a far bigger concern than the form of Kyle Lafferty. We are powder puff in the final third and let`s face it, our midfield players aren`t exactly free scoring, are they? Plenty were queuing up to criticise Lafferty`s return, but for anyone looking objectively at our side just now, he is certainly not the major concern.

Don't understand what people are watching.

He's been kept out the team by an on form Alfie, so not much of a run of starts. Can't expect him to be as sharp as he can be. He was terrific last season and broke a scoring record in a team that is not on our level.

His ridiculous miss yesterday has to be held to the same standard as our other strikers sitters of "even the best strikers miss glaring chances".

Think the ball hit off him a few times where he normally brings it under control but when he gets the ball down he very rarely wastes it and picks the right pass to open the play up.

He got the shot away from having his back to goal that we scored with a rebound, he was denied by an epic save and the move that he himself created hit the side netting after the defender trying to drag him all over the place.

This place basically decides if one striker is doing particularly well then the other is shit. The truth is Alfie has been stellar and keeping a more than worthy Lafferty out of the team.

People saying he was unlucky with chances, the one in 1st half from a yard out was inexcusabl, my fkn collie would have scored that. 24 or so corners, 30 + crosses into box and our 6'4 striker couldn't do anything with them. As i said before the keeper pulled of a great save from his header, but doesn't change fact Kyle should have better positioned to bullet a header past the keeper from that distance. I know heading isn't his strength but that doesn't excuse his misses. He was pish yesterday

Who gives a f*ck what he done with Hearts

It's used as a reference to justify his existence it is totally irrelevant to us.

His movement in the box leaves a lot to be desired.
Should be 3rd choice behind Morelos and another striker but he will still have a part to play this season.

He stuck at it. I thought our general play lost quality in the 2nd half and it is unfair to blame Lafferty for a mediocre Rangers display. He was very close to getting a brace and 6/10 rating from me which matches most of our players. A win, we move forward and prepare for Hibs. Top of the league, let yourselves be happy with this. Morelos back and Lafferty can be a useful back up striker again.

Who gives a f*ck what he done with Hearts

It's used as a reference to justify his existence it is totally irrelevant to us.

How about 3 SPL titles. 2 league cups, and a Scottish Cup then. How about crucial goals in the games that sealed the titles.

Is that relevant enough?

I’m fairly certain winning goals against Celtic one of which was this very season are pretty fucking relevant to our situation also.

How about 3 SPL titles. 2 league cups, and a Scottish Cup then. How about crucial goals in the games that sealed the titles.

Is that relevant enough?

I’m fairly certain winning goals against Celtic one of which was this very season are pretty fucking relevant to our situation also.

A winning goal against Celtic this season, you have lost me.

but the rest of your point isn't overly relevant to be honest.

In the context of those seasons Lafferty was predominately a passenger who is given a hell of a lot of praise for contributing sod all for chunks of said seasons.

You are calling him a Scottish Cup and League Cup winner, Lafferty rarely contributed sod all in either of said competitions, he was part of the squad but a key player, very rarely in the Cup.

The one we see now is little different to the one most of us saw before - a bang average football player who makes daft mistakes on and off the park.

If you had a season ticket and followed Rangers oft, Lafferty was a dross football player first time around, he is no different now a few goals for Hearts hasn't changed that

Lafferty is going through one of those spells that happen to most strikers at some point, when nothing goes right.

Last weekend he scored what would have been a perfectly good winning goal, but the linesman made an arse of it.
Today he missed a total sitter that he would score 99 times out of 100, then gets denied by one of the saves of the season.

We could be debating whether fair to drop him after 3 goals in 2 games!

Away with this sensible, reasonable, level-headed nonsense you. :D

A winning goal against Celtic this season, you have lost me.

but the rest of your point isn't overly relevant to be honest.

In the context of those seasons Lafferty was predominately a passenger who is given a hell of a lot of praise for contributing sod all for chunks of said seasons.

You are calling him a Scottish Cup and League Cup winner, Lafferty rarely contributed sod all in either of said competitions, he was part of the squad but a key player, very rarely in the Cup.

The one we see now is little different to the one most of us saw before - a bang average football player who makes daft mistakes on and off the park.

If you had a season ticket and followed Rangers oft, Lafferty was a dross football player first time around, he is no different now a few goals for Hearts hasn't changed that
This, all day long.

He's just not very good - and never has been.

Lafferty is brutal, cant hold the ball up or bring others into play. His finishing yesterday was terrible and so is his positioning and movement

For the people who are saying he it the post and the keeper made a save etc

He hit the post from 2 yards out when it was harder to miss than score
The one the keeper saved he was also a couple yards out the keeper should never have had a chance

They the one when he took a shot from 30 yards out when we had 2 men wide open through on goal. Also failed to hit the target later on in the game with a wide open header on the penalty spot

Back