Liverpool v Napoli friendly at Murrayfield?

RFC4ME

I don't think its too hard to see the appeal in this and why it will most likely sell out.

If your Mrs is away to concerts all year Ed Sheeran, Take That, Spice Girls whatever else - something like this is a decent excuse for folk who maybe don't get to games often.

A day out at Murrayfield, groups of work pals, likely even get groups of folk who have pals who are Hibs, Hearts, Celtic fans using it as an excuse to go to a game together.

Then chuck in EPL fans, Liverpool fans kids etc.

Cracking actually - excellent venue for accommodating what will be a mostly neutral venue as well.

it will be another kick in the baws to anyone who sees Murrayfield as anything other than what should be the go to stadium for events in Scotland.

Gersboyjohn

Canny understand the mentality of folk who would go to a game like that as a neutral fan. They are always pish. Even your own teams pre season friendlies are pish aside of the day out bevvying in the summer type away trips side of things.
A good chance for folk to see the Champions of Europe. Kids will also be buzzing to get the chance to see superstars like Salah, mane, firmino etc in the flesh.

Cassady

Oh yes please.

Was eyeing up the Super Cup in Istanbul but cant be arsed. This friendly will do though.

Only got back from Madrid last night. Knackered.

mw2071

Great for Edinburgh and Scotland as a whole.

We need more sporting events that attract major tourism opportunities.

Further cements the idea; have one stadium. Murrayfield is far better equipped for such events.

Struggling to see what’s negative about this at all?
Agree to an extent but can’t help but feel it’s another attempt for the premier league to force itself on us. If they want to play in Scotland then why not one of our teams, give outlet teams some exposure.

Would still get a decent crowd of both neutrals, Liverpool fans and Scottish fans for their own team. Shown when Barca played hibs/hearts at murrayfield years ago.

Crouchy

Agree to an extent but can’t help but feel it’s another attempt for the premier league to force itself on us. If they want to play in Scotland then why not one of our teams, give outlet teams some exposure.

Would still get a decent crowd of both neutrals, Liverpool fans and Scottish fans for their own team. Shown when Barca played hibs/hearts at murrayfield years ago.
I’m pretty certain, had we asked, Liverpool would have played us at Ibrox that weekend

Guess we didn’t ask?

RFC4ME

Liverpool wont bring 20k fans up for that.
It's Scotland, not the moon - chance of a piss up 4 hours up the road in the middle of summer.

A lot of people are shut out from going to games of football, an open book chance to see their team on the road will see them brining that many without much problem.

Teddy bear

It's Scotland, not the moon - chance of a piss up 4 hours up the road in the middle of summer.

A lot of people are shut out from going to games of football, an open book chance to see their team on the road will see them brining that many without much problem.
I'm aware where Murrayfield.
Rangers and Celtic fans are unique when it comes to big travelling support for meaningless friendlies.
Liverpool will have a big support but they defo won't have anywhere near 20k locals travelling up.

RFC4ME

I mean, its a great soundbite and one we, and they love to say - but it doesn't ring true.

If the expectation was a poorly attended game for this, it wouldn't be happening.

I mean its legit like a few years since Liverpool had a friendly with an attendance of about 90,000 at a stadium about the same distance to them as Murrayfield.

YoungGer97

That will sell out easy. Lot of plastics up here particularly on the east coast, then there is the many they will bring from Merseyside for it as well as families who'll go for the day out.

Wazza

Think it is only a matter of time before there is an NFL match at Murrayfield, certainly appeal to Yanks to come over for it - place is full of them when the London ones are on.

d72

I'm aware where Murrayfield.
Rangers and Celtic fans are unique when it comes to big travelling support for meaningless friendlies.
Liverpool will have a big support but they defo won't have anywhere near 20k locals travelling up.
My memory could be deceiving me here but did they not fill the broomie for a pre season friendly in 2008 or something? I can see this being very close if not a sell out, Liverpool have a lot of fans in Scotland and also loads who travel everywhere.

rangeral

My memory could be deceiving me here but did they not fill the broomie for a pre season friendly in 2008 or something? I can see this being very close if not a sell out, Liverpool have a lot of fans in Scotland and also loads who travel everywhere.
No they had half of it both front and Rear filled that

From BF/R1 to BF/R3
https://flic.kr/p/5hDe5H
not the best photo

Teddy bear

That's my point mate, loads of fans from Scotland and tourist fans, thet wont bring 20k hardcore scousers for a friendly.
They spend their time and money travelling over England & Europe for important games.

Linfieldloyal

Official Ticketer
Any idea the chances /availability of getting tickets at Anfield for an EPL match? And how you go about getting them?, kids have got the bug for them but I've never been interested in English football