Lundstram contract situation.

He’s been excellent the last few months. However, that’s not been the case consistently enough. If Phil wants him and we can agree a deal that’s reasonable - fine and good. If we think we can use the wages elsewhere, I trust Koppen and Clement.

both parties looking to get best deal I would say I sit on the below in terms of an extension, I'm relaxed with this one either way

1 Year - Yes
2 Year - Yes if reduced wages
3 Year + - No

I think he is either hedging his bets to see what comes in or possibly knows he is away but unlike most in these situations actually turning in top performances week in week out. Given his performances I think it’s the first one.

If he stays fantastic but if he wants to head back to England then that's fine too. I am sure Clement has names we can bring in...
I would not break the bank to keep Lundstram, to me Jack Butland is more important to hold on to!

Would imagine the experience Kent has had in Turkey will make that a complete non starter for Lundstram.

I can see why it’s appealing to Barisic but Lundstram still has a lot to offer at a high level

I'm actually one of the few seemingly who really wouldn't be fighting to keep him. 2 decent runs of form in 3 seasons doesn't really justify his substantial wage. I get he plays more than he should because we're lacking numbers but I'm of the idea that we can always try and improve. I'd be more than happy to move him on and look for someone younger. Our squad is still really aging badly but so far the new recruitment team seem to have an idea on how to go about their business.

I’d like him stay as he does a lot of the hard work for the team
But equally he is replaceable if his wage demands are too high

Any reason as to why this hasn't been resolved yet?
I'm really surprised given how much the gaffer values him that it still seems to be a bit up in the air.
I know given his age that he won't be seen as a sellable asset any more and that will play into whatever the contract offer would be but I really do hope he's still here next season, his experience in the middle of the park is absolutely vital imo.
He will be holding out to see if he gets more money down south

I would like him to stay, but I wouldn't burst the bank for him. If he leaves it might be the opening for Sterling. A midfield of Sterling, Dio, and Cantwell/Lawrence.

Deal needs to suit both parties.

And the deal that suits us (2yrs) doesn't suit Lunny (4yrs) so a compromise needs to be sought.

In Lunny's defence, he's hardly ever injured and plays nearly every game.

On the other hand, there has been significant spells during his time at Rangers, where he's been absolutely horrendous.

I'd like him to stay on current form, but if he reverts to the beginning of the season's form, then offering him the contract would be folly on our part.

Any reason as to why this hasn't been resolved yet?
I'm really surprised given how much the gaffer values him that it still seems to be a bit up in the air.
I know given his age that he won't be seen as a sellable asset any more and that will play into whatever the contract offer would be but I really do hope he's still here next season, his experience in the middle of the park is absolutely vital imo.
No disrespect, but why are you surprised?

He's a player over 30 who despite recent form, has gone through long periods of time where he simply hasn't been good value for money & is also one of our highest earners

Factor in that this is likely his last "big contract" the sticking points over salary and contract duration are almost inevitable.

Player Name

Weekly Wage

Yearly Salary

Position

Nationality

Connor Goldson

£37,000

£1,924,000

D C

England

James Tavernier

£30,000

£1,560,000

D/WB R

England

Ben Davies

£27,000

£1,404,000

D C

England

Cyriel Dessers

£27,000

£1,404,000

ST

Nigeria

Danilo

£26,000

£1,352,000

AM RL, ST

Brazil

Kemar Roofe

£26,000

£1,352,000

AM RLC, F C

Jamaica

Jack Butland

£25,000

£1,300,000

GK

England

Rabbi Matondo

£23,000

£1,196,000

AM RL

Wales

Todd Cantwell

£22,000

£1,144,000

AM RLC

England

John Lundstram

£22,000

£1,144,000

DM

England

Tom Lawrence

£22,000

£1,144,000

AM RLC

Wales

Dujon Sterling

£22,000

£1,144,000

D RC, M R

England

Borna Barišić

£21,000

£1,092,000

D/WB L

Croatia

Nicolas Raskin

£19,000

£988,000

DM

Belgium

Sam Lammers

£18,000

£936,000

AM RC, F C

Netherlands

José Cifuentes

£16,000

£832,000

DM

Ecuador

Kieran Dowell

£16,000

£832,000

AM RLC

England

Rıdvan Yılmaz

£12,000

£624,000

D/WB/M L

Türkiye

Abdallah Sima

£8,500

£442,000

AM R, ST

Senegal

John Souttar

£8,100

£421,200

D C

Scotland

Ryan Jack

£8,000

£416,000

DM

Scotland

Steven Davis

£8,000

£416,000

M RC

N.Ireland

Leon Balogun

£8,000

£416,000

D RC

Nigeria

Leon King

£8,000

£416,000

D RC

Scotland
Mate that is nothing close to accurate.

I am absolutely baffled that folk don't seem to understand Lundstram is on £30k+ a week, easily £35k a week.

He wouldn't be here otherwise, relegation wagecut or not with Sheffield United.

It was widely accepted amongst the fan base that his wage was huge when he looked awful upon joining

If the squad somehow manages to let the support and the manager down yet again from this position I can see that being the key factor in whether a few of the established players are here or not next season.

I trust whatever Clement decides.

I am absolutely baffled that folk don't seem to understand Lundstram is on £30k+ a week, easily £35k a week.

He wouldn't be here otherwise, relegation wagecut or not with Sheffield United.

It was widely accepted amongst the fan base that his wage was huge when he looked awful upon joining

Wasn't it something to do with a signing bonus being spread across the duration of his contract, rather than being paid a lump sum at the time?

Wasn't it something to do with a signing bonus being spread across the duration of his contract, rather than being paid a lump sum at the time?
Yea a lot of players do this, look at the highest paid players in Europe, they were mostly free signings, they top up their weekly wage with a % of their signing on bonus, I guess because of tax or other reasons.

If the squad somehow manages to let the support and the manager down yet again from this position I can see that being the key factor in whether a few of the established players are here or not next season.

I trust whatever Clement decides.

Since Gerrard came in, winning the league or not has never once impacted our summer spend, positively.or negatively.

Wouldn't be surprised if the wagebill is reduced by around £10m per annum with or without a league title.

The European income is very much welcome, but it also never changes our spend. Not sure why people keep saying a league title will help decide who stays or goes.

Since Gerrard came in, winning the league or not has never once impacted our summer spend, positively.or negatively.

Wouldn't be surprised if the wagebill is reduced by around £10m per annum with or without a league title.

The European income is very much welcome, but it also never changes our spend. Not sure why people keep saying a league title will help decide who stays or goes.
You're right, Champion's League football would however be guaranteed with the League title this season. We haven't automatically qualified for it once so the board typically don't budget for it. Champion's League money this year with the new format is much closer to the silly figures that are usually thrown about in the media than they have been in the past.

I wasn't even really meaning financially anyway. Losing the League this season (especially if we put in two horrendous shifts in the remaining Old Firm games) from now would be a point where we should consider a lot of the team most likely are psychologically damaged and it would be best to rebuild the spine of the team. Bad start or not, we're in pole position currently and we can't let this one slip and for me a few of our experienced players have been on the end of one too many doings from that lot in the last couple years.

I think it's obvious he won't be here next season.
It looks as if PC has told him he does not feature in his plans and he is just playing out time.

It looks as if PC has told him he does not feature in his plans and he is just playing out time.
Good, recent form aside (to an extent) he is not a £30k+ a week player.

Not the worst culprit in our capitulation, but he has ran his race imo.

He shouldn’t be here for that 3rd goal, alone!! That lack of fight from him to first win the ball in their half to be half arsed in his jog back to then try and pass the man over to another and not get goal side should see any offer off the table!! We need him Tavernier, Goldson and Barasic all gone….these serial losers make me utterly sick!! I don’t recognise them as what I think Rangers players should be!!

The fact that big chancers contract is up is one of the few crumbs of comfort

He can go and stand in between the 2 centre halves at Trabzonspor or Cardiff or wherever next season and kid on he’s putting in a shift for them.

Back