Marcelo Bielsa - a realistic target for us?

I am all in favour of someone who would play the game on the front foot. But I wouldn’t touch Bielsa with a barge pole. You need some balance to your team. And you need a manager who speaks English.

Please naw.

Anyone whose name is Sean surely should be precluded from consideration for the top job. Nothing to do with religious background btw, it just doesn’t sound right.

P.S. we’ll see if he can pull Burnley out of the fire starting with Wednesday’s sixpointer.

Even if he doesn't, the job Dyche has done there over 9 years is nothing short of remarkable

FFS, he had Burnley in Europe.

I like him a lot. He keeps it simple and doesn't try to over complicate things and he gets his players running through brick walls for him

Even if he doesn't, the job Dyche has done there over 9 years is nothing short of remarkable

FFS, he had Burnley in Europe.

I like him a lot. He keeps it simple and doesn't try to over complicate things and he gets his players running through brick walls for him
Dyche deserves an MBE for keeping Brexit ball alive :))

Would rather Knutsen
Only if he’s not a new fangled scientist like Ronny Deila. In that case, I’d far rather have Ronnie Barkay get the gig.

If Knutsen really has the necessary attributes he’s a candidate worthy of consideration. But let’s not write off Gio just yet. Wait until he’s signed his own targets before judging no?

Apparently he was on £8m a season at Leeds so probably not in our budget.

I don’t particularly blame Gio for yesterday as the team has been poor all season.

First 5 minutes were great and then looked totally lost for the rest of the game.

We totally threw the league away this season as Celtic are not even anywhere near the level they were when Rodgers was in charge. Fair play to Ange though as has bought well and got his team playing for him.

The performances in the CL qualifiers were key as if we’d got through them then could’ve added some quality.

However, given Celtic’s start to the season we should’ve been double figures ahead by October.

Need to focus on Braga now and try and get the players up for the semi in 2 weeks.

excellent manager.

However, can’t speak English - never mind Scottish - and is a billion years old.

The tims plucked Ange from obscurity and he's been a revelation for them.

If Wilson and co. apply the same rigour and effort to our next search for a manager then there's no reason as to why we can't get a lesser known manager who can revitalise this ageing side.

Absolutely shocking considering we could have had him in November . Prob wasn’t even considered by the board as no rangers link
You got any actual evidence to back up either of these claims or is the ‘probably’ a caveat to cover the fact you’re just throwing idle speculation around as fact?

He has spent £210m on transfers and was on £8m a year salary. Aye no bother. He would come here to not be able to sign anyone. Delete this nonsense thread.

The fact he’s still using a translator after half a decade in the country is ridiculous. Annoys me

No chance that would work up here

Many are failing to accept that this team were on the slide before Gio came in and were guilty of the inept defending and performances we have seen with Gio as well. If Gerrard’s Rangers had not dropped so many unnecessary points in the first 3 months of the season before Gio came in, we wouldn’t be where we are now.

Some of the results, performances and in game tactics Gio has masterminded in Europe have been remarkable. We were heading out of the Europa before Gio came in… we are now in the QF having knocked out Dortmund. These lack lustre performances in the league are on the players. How many goals do we lose after just scoring or just before HT or late on in games? Those are traits of players who lack concentration, and the right mentality to be winners.

No thanks to Bielsa - We need pragmatism as well as style. I’d 100% give Gio the summer transfer window and the pre season to see what he can do. Convinced he can get the better of the Ozzies “philosophy”.

Gerrard hadn't won anything, because he hadn't manages anyone though.
Biesla has been a manager for 20+ years and never won anything.
Strange comparison.
He won 3 titles in Argentina with teams outside the big two and also won the Olympics with Argentina. He took Athletico Bilbao to the Europa League final and did a fantastic job with the Chilean national team. I don't want him but to say he's won nothing is incorrect.

We don't need to be pragmatic domestically, thats one of our main issues.

I'm not saying we should go for him but we need an attacking coach who wants to bury these diddy teams before half time.
Spot on. Gerrard and Gio both guilty of trying to be too clever and cute imv.

In the SPFL you get your best players out, you have 2 or 3 routes to goal, commit numbers, movement and attack.

Instead we are treating some games like a tricky away fixture in Europe.

I don't think Wilson is doing his job properly if we haven't already sounded him out to find out if he would be interested.

It's not about money with Marcelo - it's about the project and whether it's something that interests him rather than finances.

He would be a sensation for us imo.

I think we all know where this is heading with Gio in the coming weeks and months. If we lose the semi final, which I fully expect we will as it stands, then I think a majority of Bears will turn on him and want a change.
We need a gaffer who knows us and will get us back to where we belong . We need a proven winner no more projects . Kent Morelos and even Aribo thanks to Europe (only time kent seems bothered ) will give us the transfer budget we need when we sell . But we need wholesale changes this summer . And the homework must start now ,

Spot on. Gerrard and Gio both guilty of trying to be too clever and cute imv.

In the SPFL you get your best players out, you have 2 or 3 routes to goal, commit numbers, movement and attack.

Instead we are treating some games like a tricky away fixture in Europe.
I'd say we're actually trying a lot less "tricky" stuff under GvB than we were under Gerrard and we are playing our best eleven every game, it's just that our best eleven is a bit shit, couldn't give a %^*& and chucked it a month or two ago.

Our midfield is slow, slack, lacks creativity and doesn't score goals, the wingers are completely ineffective, beyond the injured Morelos & Hagi we are completely and utterly toothless, our goalkeeper concedes nearly every shot on target, Goldson passes it to the opposition striker at least once a game to help them out a bit, our full backs provide neither attacking lanes or defensive stability.

I'd be tearing my hair out if I were the manager to be honest because it's not like they are being asked to do complicated things.

GvB's tactics are about as idiot-proof as you will find - Get a goal by pushing numbers forwards, shore it up for 5-10 minutes, go again to get a second, switch formation to 3 at the back to shore it up and see it out.

Not difficult to understand, doesn't need a lot of creativity to succeed and against 95% of teams it should be enough to roll over teams as long as we have decent application.

The thread’s good for highlighting a lot of posters with no idea about Bielsa until he turned up in England.

Did his Leeds team not concede as much as they scored? Don't really know much about him tbh seem to remember that though
They're basically a championship low end PL at best team though. Of course they're going to conceded, and lots.

Not to say his tactics and teams won't have any issues at the back but by default we should be much better defensively.

Don't know if I'd take him though. But I suppose he'd be as good as any candidate.

He turned my second team, Athletic Club, on their head. They played breathtaking football and battered Man Utd home and away. Fell at the final hurdle though. Not sure he would work up here, much as I love him.

They're basically a championship low end PL at best team though. Of course they're going to conceded, and lots.

Not to say his tactics and teams won't have any issues at the back but by default we should be much better defensively.

Don't know if I'd take him though. But I suppose he'd be as good as any candidate.
I wasn't having a go at him or anything as I said I know nothing about him that was just something that stuck with me.

Seem to remember seeing they had scored 50 and conceded 50 or something like that and I also remember them having a 4-4 draw recently? Not sure if it was under him or not though

Please no. Think he uses clubs as a play thing to try and prove how masterful and brilliant coaching skills are. Think he’s a bit of a fraud tbh and wouldn’t last 6 months here

The headline was enough for me to skip to the end and say this place can be full blown mental, what is Michael Beale up to these days just to add a bit of lunacy.

The thread’s good for highlighting a lot of posters with no idea about Bielsa until he turned up in England.
Not just England, but more specifically the Premier League seeing as so many are unaware of how big of an achievement getting that pish Leeds side out of the Championship was.

Don’t think most people realise he hasn’t had a career jumping around the top clubs winning heehaw either. He’s usually in control of sides that don’t have the best squads in the land.

Back