Mark Allen - Officially gone

Do we really need to replace him?

Wasted wage IMHO.

Mark Allen had a very mixed record with us. Some truly bizarre signings along the way, he played a big part in getting Gerrard but it was the club that appealed to the Gaffer, not Mark Allen.

Has any manager or DoF involved in more than 20 signings ever got them all right?

Seems a strange one - he wants to leave the club but is gone immediately and spoken of in the past tense. What about his contract??

Something not adding up here ...

There were rumours of Leanne Dempster being on the way to us a few weeks back. I wonder if this is actually another one we dismissed as nonsense being true.

Some good signing, some poor done a decent job I’d say overall. Best of lock to him be interesting to see who we go for now.

Sorry to see him go. I think he has done a good job. No DoF is ever going to get all signings right - indeed 50% is probably a decent strike rate and I think he has done better than that. I like the DoF role in a club like ours and think it is vital that we replace him with a quality appointment. Fortunately his departure is shortly after the transfer window has closed so timing wise it is about as good as it can be but I wouldn’t want there to be a big delay in making a new appointment. Recruitment planning is a year round business.

There were rumours of Leanne Dempster being on the way to us a few weeks back. I wonder if this is actually another one we dismissed as nonsense being true.

Dempster would replace Robertson not a DOF

Reckon the club have known about this for a few months but he agreed to stay on till end of window and allow new guy a fresh start. If true but I hope the club have been searching for targets and arnt just starting now

Don't think there is anything more in that other than a guy doing a job that has handed in his notice and wants to move on.

Its just that football/Rangers is so in thee spotlight that in this case a guy moving on is blasted all over the news.

Why is that mate? Genuine question, not seen any of your previous posts on it but seems that we didn't want to lose him.
I’ve had quite a few threads on him over the years, taken a lot of stick about it so I won’t go over old ground.

He wasn’t up to the job, he has an incredibly high opinion of himself and rubbed people up the wrong way. Let’s leave it at that and take this as a positive move for the club.

Great note.

Delighted to see an official reason.

Looks amicable enough if we're believing it all.

Do we get a replacement then or will we see a return to the more traditoonal UK arrangement?

I wouldn't be happy if we just bin the DoF having championed it so much.

Last edited:
Do we really need to replace him?

Wasted wage IMHO.

Mark Allen had a very mixed record with us. Some truly bizarre signings along the way, he played a big part in getting Gerrard but it was the club that appealed to the Gaffer, not Mark Allen.

If you read the Beale interview on the other thread then there are clear signs in there, for me at least, that Gerrard needs and wants the time to focus on dealing with the players and being the public face of the Club and wouldn’t relish the ‘old fashioned’ idea of being the man who does everything. He cannot do everything in this day and age at a club such as Rangers.

I think we should - and will - have a new DoF.

Last edited:
Was worried there might have been some drama but relieved he's leaving on good terms. Suppose him leaving now makes more sense if it's his choice instead of the club booting him out. Wonder if we will go back in for Ross Wilson

Back