Mark Allen - Officially gone

I’ve had quite a few threads on him over the years, taken a lot of stick about it so I won’t go over old ground.

He wasn’t up to the job, he has an incredibly high opinion of himself and rubbed people up the wrong way. Let’s leave it at that and take this as a positive move for the club.

That's fair enough if you don't want to rehash it because of the stick you've taken but can't really expect people to accept that it's a good thing without backing it up with something, especially when the board seem to be disappointed that he's going.

Do we really need to replace him?

Wasted wage IMHO.

Mark Allen had a very mixed record with us. Some truly bizarre signings along the way, he played a big part in getting Gerrard but it was the club that appealed to the Gaffer, not Mark Allen.
It's not just transfers he was in charge of. He made Frank McParland look like a complete fraud and that's just from the perspective of the scouting set up at the club

Family reasons & to explore other options?

Nah its one or the other for me, he's wanted to leave and is trying the old family reasons excuse.

There were rumours of Leanne Dempster being on the way to us a few weeks back. I wonder if this is actually another one we dismissed as nonsense being true.

That wouldn’t have anything to do with mark Allen though . Their roles couldn’t be more different .

Looks amicable enough if we're believing it all.

Do we get a replacement then or will we see a return to the more standard UK arrangement?

I wouldn't be happy if we just bjn the DoF having championed it so much.

The ‘more standard’ method at bigger UK clubs these days is to have a DoF or Technical Director as they are sometimes called.

We have to replace. Be stupid not to IMHO. Too much for Gerrard to take on.

He leaves us in a better state than we were when he arrived. He has gave a structure to the role, and that should help attract another DOF of a good standard, as it’s already to go.
Best of luck to Mark.

My only criticism of Allen and Scoulding has been their recruitment from abroad. Think we have done some decent business in the UK but the markets we need to be getting value from abroad has been woeful.

Apart from that i wish him all the best as i dont know what went on day to day like most other folk

No major issue with this personally. Doesn’t matter to me if it is actual family reasons or he has another gig lined up.

When it comes to a ‘good time’ for a DoF to leave, a week or so after a window closes is as probably as good as any rather than leaving us in the lurch.

Interested to see who we get as a replacement.

I think his impact at first team level has been mixed. Its perhsps the changes at youth/development level he can be most praised for

Not a fatal blow by any means

We are one of few clubs in the UK with a DOF role that’s actually worked. We should try to retain that through appointing a replacement IMO.

I’m sure this has been planned for a while. Means we get someone else in and they get a few months to get up to speed.
Anyway thanks and good luck to him.

Back