Mark Allen - Officially gone

Back in 2013-14 when the idea of a DOF being implemented was floating about a name that was suggested was Nelinger. He knows the club, has a good knowledge of European football and is an intelligent guy. He was relieved from his last role (Bayern Munich DOF) and isn't doing much atm I think.

Think he would be worth a punt & would the people at the club be considering him? Guys in the know @ID10 @mdingwall etc.

Obviously he's been out of the game a few years so might not be a goer.

Directors will be too busy coping with this car crash than planning that far ahead.

I thought a DoF is meant to outlive managers and be here longer. If as someone said earlier it is family issues then obviously understandable

We didn't need a DOF...we were working towards a set deadline but we did need a plan to close the gap and win the league before 10IAR...we are not out of time but by %^*& we've been a bit all over the place......

This is me only guessing from the outside. King would have been more instrumental in bringing Gerrard in, IMO.

There have been signings that are imo clear DoF signings and not Gerrard signings. Barker signing, for example.

Gerrard seemed the one driving change in off the field standards and facilities on his own.

All just my opinion, might be well wide of the mark.

Best of luck to Allen, but I won’t be losing any sleep over it.

Bang on.

Good luck and thanks for everything but Rangers are much bigger than any man. We will probably lose Gerrard to Liverpool at some point too but we will be stronger for their input.

Best wishes to him. He did his part in turning things around.

The club better get a replacement in pronto otherwise fans might have to start attributing failed signings to Gerrard, abandoning the current “good signing = Gerrard, bad signing = Allen” system. I also think that statement more or less quashes these daft unsubstantiated rumours that he wasn’t well liked within the club. But bullshitters will be bullshitters and attentions seekers will be attention seekers.

Last edited:
It’s pointless coming out and listing the reasons because it’ll only get me more criticism, especially on here & I’ve seen people destroyed for daring to go against the grain with him

I’ll stick to my opinion however because it is led, I’m glad he’s gone & I hope we recruit properly to replace him

He’s off to his next job & won’t give a %^*& about Rangers, largely like his time here
You're as well as telling everyone now that you've mentioned it.

Well he was given a few transfer windows with a bigger budget than the rest. Finished 3rd and 2nd when was our last cup final?

Director of Football’s job isn’t to win us medals.

His job is to identify players who can come in to the club, perform and then the club can sell them on at a profit.

Allen’s done that, not with every player, but he’s definitely contributed.

Have to say I am very disappointed to hear that Mark Allen is leaving, he has done a fantastic job in moving the club forward by leaps and bounds in a very short time. Think it will be difficult to find such a high calibre replacement.

Wish him all the best for the future.

That might be the way it goes, and you do want your DoF and manager to work well together. Equally, part of the rationale for a DoF is I suppose to provide a bit of a check and balance vis a vis your manager. Suppose Pedro has installed his pet Mexican or Portuguese equivalent of Allen? And we saw Warburton with McParland. A good DoF should be capable of providing players to any manager, whether it is Gerrard or AN Other.

The next DF should not be another of Gerrard's pals as a large part of the purpose of the role is to provide continuity of vision and standards when coaches inevitably move on.

You seem quite angry towards Mark Allen does he owe you money or something ?

If I loan somebody money it would be because I could afford it and wanted to.

What too many dafties do is think that every move by the club is justified and deserves praise without looking at the whole picture.

Without going into the whole history from Warburton via Pedro to now... here's a very simple question for you-do you think we will appoint another DOF? I don't.

Mcgregor, arfield, Kent, Davis , kamara, Defoe and Katic his best work. Though 3 of those are returnees and Defoe is an easier punt.

But he’s had far more misses and there have been absolute stinkers. Sadiq, grezda, Doran’s, goss, nemane, lafferty, martin, ejaria, coulibaly , Worral, mcauley . Can’t blame him for Pena and Herrera as he was just in the door and this seasons recruits are too early to judge.
Can’t see why he is lauded. Decidedly average if you ask me. Imho our best three assets ( Kent still to start this season) in Morelos , Jack and Tavernier have zero to do with him.

A lot of the names you mention were when the club was relying heavily on free transfers and loans due to there being little to no transfer budget.

Where money has been spent, we’ve had some decent success. Failures too but that goes for every club.

It’s pointless coming out and listing the reasons because it’ll only get me more criticism, especially on here & I’ve seen people destroyed for daring to go against the grain with him

I’ll stick to my opinion however because it is led, I’m glad he’s gone & I hope we recruit properly to replace him

He’s off to his next job & won’t give a %^*& about Rangers, largely like his time here

So you’ll hint at knowing things but won’t tell us for fear of criticism.

I hate this ‘I know stuff that you don’t know’ bollocks.

If I loan somebody money it would be because I could afford it and wanted to.

What too many dafties do is think that every move by the club is justified and deserves praise without looking at the whole picture.

Without going into the whole history from Warburton via Pedro to now... here's a very simple question for you-do you think we will appoint another DOF? I don't.
We will appoint a new Director of Football or a Technical Director.

Best wishes to him. He did his part on turning things around.

The club better get a replacement in pronto otherwise fans might have to start attributing failed signings to Gerrard, abandoning the current “good signing = Gerrard, bad signing = Allen” system. I also think that statement more or less quashes these daft unsubstantiated rumours that he wasn’t well liked within the club. But bullshitters will be bullshitters and attentions seekers will be attention seekers.

You blame Gerrard for any thing on here and you are quickly shot down.

I had concerns over some of Allen's suggestions/signings and I've still got plenty over Gerrard's managerial ability.

Allen can name any player under the sun. Gerrard has final say. Gerrard picks the team.

His job is to identify players who can come in to the club, perform and then the club can sell them on at a profit.

What player that he scouted have we made a profit from?

So is there going to be some form of replacement or are we going in a different direction

Not overly fussed about this to be honest.

Mixed bag of recruitment and poor outgoings (albeit the latter being a difficult situation)

The majority of those you list are loanees though - try before you buy if you like - so were obviously seen as ‘risky’ in the first place, perhaps Worrall being the exception in that context.

On permanent signings it’s undoubtedly a mixed bag. I’d argue though that that is kinda normal at most clubs. Regardless of which area of the market they are buying in. Megabucks or bargain basement.
The biggest stinker for money is Grezda, 2 million and I fail to believe we scouted him. A couple of decent matches against us and we splashed out. A mistake that’s still costing us and we won’t be getting any money for him. With wages it’s a6-7 percent of our turnover. Apart from Jack, Tavernier, Katic kamara and Morelos...who are we making decent money from? Kent maybe, but remains to be seen. I’ve left out this years crop as we cant really comment yet.

With the transfer window now closed and the next one not open until the beginning of January at least the timing is perfect as it won't affect the playing side of things for well over 3 months. The resignation at least sounds 'planned' in that it gives us time to consider the next move on a DOF or alternative.

The rumours were always that he rubbed people up the wrong way. But then you'd see him involved in the celebrations pitchside after a big result and it didn't quite fit the rumours.

SG likes his own people around him. He's more powerful and important to the Club than Allen, which makes it awkward for a DoF who's meant to be directing the football side of things.

Odd, though, that he'd be allowed the Summer window.

None of us know exactly what he was responsible for in his tenure, none of us know exactly why he's left. We're all just speculating.

It's fair to say he's left us in a better state than he found as. As long as Gerrard's & his team aren't unsettled by it then hopefully we can all move onwards and upwards.

Some on here hang on every word of certain posters who at times know as much as you or me.

Allen was a difficult character, could not get shot of dead wood and Robertson and co couldn't handle him.

Says quire a bit about Robertsons character.

Allen did some good but too big for boots and not a total success and we move on.

I got ridiculed in the past for going against the grain with Allen.

People believe only what they want to believe.

None of us know exactly what he was responsible for in his tenure, none of us know exactly why he's left. We're all just speculating.

It's fair to say he's left us in a better state than he found as. As long as Gerrard's & his team aren't unsettled by it then hopefully we can all move onwards and upwards.
Some know.

They just dont post everything on FF fishing for likes.

The biggest stinker for money is Grezda, 2 million and I fail to believe we scouted him. A couple of decent matches against us and we splashed out. A mistake that’s still costing us and we won’t be getting any money for him. With wages it’s a6-7 percent of our turnover. Apart from Jack, Tavernier, Katic kamara and Morelos...who are we making decent money from? Kent maybe, but remains to be seen. I’ve left out this years crop as we cant really comment yet.

Grezda didn’t play against us.

The rumours were always that he rubbed people up the wrong way. But then you'd see him involved in the celebrations pitchside after a big result and it didn't quite fit the rumours.

SG likes his own people around him. He's more powerful and important to the Club than Allen, which makes it awkward for a DoF who's meant to be directing the football side of things.

Odd, though, that he'd be allowed the Summer window.
Does having the manger pick his own DoF not sort of defeat the purpose of having one?

Even then, the manager has the final say in all signings. Attributing our failure to make a cup final to the DoF is just stupidity .

I never knew you bothered about criticism. So it's just your own opinion that you don't like him? Fair enough.

I think he's had some good moments, however rumours of him being a bit of a wank have persisted throughout his tenure. I've no idea whether he's been a good or bad DOF as it's never clear who is really responsible for what signing or area of the organisation.

I hope we bring another DOF in and go with someone who will build on what we have and provide continuity when Gerrard inevitably leaves.

Back