Mark Allen - Officially gone

A lot of the names you mention were when the club was relying heavily on free transfers and loans due to there being little to no transfer budget.

Where money has been spent, we’ve had some decent success. Failures too but that goes for every club.
We haven’t sold a soul so how you can claim success is beyond me. All we’ve done is pay people off or loan them out or send them back. We haven’t made a button yeT. And we’ve won nothing. If we end up without a trophy this season is he a success. Improving us is hardly a high bar. It would have been the worst appointment ever if he didn’t.

Look at the quality and value of our squad two years ago: poor and not very much. Look at it now: much better and worth a lot. Morelos, Tav, Katic, Goldson, Aribo and Kent alone are probably worth the thick end of £50-60m. Not all of that is Allen but he has played his part. I get that he may be a marmite character - it sounds it from what some have said - and that isn’t great. But over the piece it feels to me as though he has done a good job.

Until the club bear fruits from either medals or profit then he's not done a good job. If in this season or next we win medals then I'll say Mark Allan contributed, but until then my powders dry

And again I’ll say that’s a nonsense point of view.

Just like the last one.

The biggest stinker for money is Grezda, 2 million and I fail to believe we scouted him. A couple of decent matches against us and we splashed out. A mistake that’s still costing us and we won’t be getting any money for him. With wages it’s a6-7 percent of our turnover. Apart from Jack, Tavernier, Katic kamara and Morelos...who are we making decent money from? Kent maybe, but remains to be seen. I’ve left out this years crop as we cant really comment yet.
Aribo looks like a safe bet from this year’s crop? Goldson? Maybe even Barisic by the time we are done. For a transfer fee outlay over a couple of years of £20m or so I would be pretty comfortable arguing that the squad is worth at least three times that now.

I’m surprised this has turned into so much of a drama tbh.

We’ve lost a DoF. I don’t think he’s integral to everything and I don’t think losing him now is any more or less of a problem than in the summer-the work is ultimately done now until Xmas.

I believe this is an important role at Rangers and hope we find a good candidate-but there will be a significant pool of talent to choose from.

The hysteria on here from some about “recruitment” is mental.
We’ll win some and we’ll lose some-we’re competing with more teams than ever before for every player, the days of well kept secrets are over and we’re shopping at a fairly low level-there are quite simply going to be some Grezda’s.

We’ve lost a member of staff.
Hopefully we’ll recruit a better one.
I’ll not lose any sleep tonight.

I’ll say it again, glad he’s gone & it’s an opinion I’m allowed & hopefully we stick with the model & get a qualified replacement

But what model is it? A DoF is supposedly to provide continuity and longevity. Who will interview for the next appointment? Surely SG will have a say.

[QUOTE="derbybear, post: 4340452,
Why can't some ejits accept that football is their job FFS?
[/QUOTE]

Relax mate

I’m not hinting at anything, I’ve not hid my dislike for Allen & you think that’s suddenly made up now he’s gone or for popularity against the grain?

It’s not a case of I know something & don’t share, everything I have on a regular basis all the time

It’s more a case of somethings aren’t worth it Or the hassle because whatever way It’s pointless

I’ll say it again, glad he’s gone & it’s an opinion I’m allowed & hopefully we stick with the model & get a qualified replacement

Must be a pain in the tits being itk. Having to justify every single thing you ever post.

I am of the opnion he's done a great job, we have improved in every aspect.

I don't get why so many people are against a DOF role. We are a massive football club, but shouldnt have a director of football? Some seem to think he is only there to sign players? The structure at the club from youth development, scouting, sports science, analysis, coaching recruitment and structure amongst other things must be under the remit of the DOF, the club needs one to ensure we continue to progress in EVERY aspect of the footballing operation.

Without one whose job is it to pull all this together? Its not Stuart Robertson, he's on the business side of things. The other directors are all business people. We need a DOF.

Whether he was "good" at his job or not, it's going to lead to more speculation, more snide remarks coming at us....its all rather tiresome.

Lots of praise for a guy for a guy who we didn't know what he did. Similarly hard to be overly critical if you are making that argument.

I'm happy to be corrected if I've missed something or there is a genuine argument against my opinion.

I don't think we will replace him. My understanding is that the manager and he worked quite independently-it wasn't joined up. That's part of why he's left.

Do we really think we are going out to head hunt a DOF with SG in charge? I could be wrong but I doubt it .

The whole era post Warburton in terms of football strategy has frankly been a mess. Contentious as it might seem we've just spent 7M on a young emerging player when the squad size is both massive and there are areas in the team that look lacking.
I would/hope suspect we have a decent chance of getting to January with the league challenge still alive-where's the budget to fund that coming from?

My understanding is we have around 3 maybe more players SG accepted on the basis that MA had an input in our policy and that is what it is. However even 3 players in our squad to add to quite a few players who are sucking out wages from the club is not something we could afford....

SG has done very well clearly he understands the job because he's worked at the top but what we had as a set up was a mish mash and anybody really want to argue the structure as was will be repeated?

We never needed a DOF and we don't need one now. We do need a genuine longer term strategy but that is lower down the priority list that delivering success quickly.

If we really had a joined up picture and faith in the road ahead we would have known MA's role, where Stewart Robertson fitted into things and how the manager interacted with the DOF.

We didn't and there's a reason for that.

Now it's down to the ability of SG and the team to stabilise things or else we are on plan Z. Bottom line is the board are good guys they should have been big and smart enough to put genuine football experts in position to determine how we met the challenge ahead. All their eggs are now in a basket marked Stevie G and if that doesn't work out we will seriously regret the time lost and a constant change of approaches of how to tackle getting back to the top.

I thought nothing of it yesterday as I assume he still has a house nearby but Martin Bain was in my work yesterday in Glasgow looking at cars

The part of the statement that he’s left us in a better position than when he arrived is very true. It’s also probably the best timing as the transfer window has just shut and gives us time to get a replacement.

The improvement is down to SG name a single player MA recruited who has the potential to go to the top or has delivered something special?

I thought a DoF is meant to outlive managers and be here longer. If as someone said earlier it is family issues then obviously understandable

Correct. We were told the DOF was here to bring stability and continuity. If a manager left, like Pedro, we wouldn't have to rip it up and start again. Then again maybe MA wasnt all he was made out to be.

So on one hand you say we don’t know what he did, the next, he’s too blame for signings and squad size? :-/

Tricky situation now, it's better to have a DoF when you are looking for a manager than the other way around. Especially if you have Steven Gerrard and you bring in someone who he doesn't like then he bails.

The part of the statement that he’s left us in a better position than when he arrived is very true. It’s also probably the best timing as the transfer window has just shut and gives us time to get a replacement.

It is true but how much of that is down to MA?

Since people didn't like another thread
Lots of praise for a guy for a guy who we didn't know what he did. Similarly hard to be overly critical if you are making that argument.

I'm happy to be corrected if I've missed something or there is a genuine argument against my opinion.

I don't think we will replace him. My understanding is that the manager and he worked quite independently-it wasn't joined up. That's part of why he's left.

Do we really think we are going out to head hunt a DOF with SG in charge? I could be wrong but I doubt it .

The whole era post Warburton in terms of football strategy has frankly been a mess. Contentious as it might seem we've just spent 7M on a young emerging player when the squad size is both massive and there are areas in the team that look lacking.
I would/hope suspect we have a decent chance of getting to January with the league challenge still alive-where's the budget to fund that coming from?

My understanding is we have around 3 maybe more players SG accepted on the basis that MA had an input in our policy and that is what it is. However even 3 players in our squad to add to quite a few players who are sucking out wages from the club is not something we could afford....

SG has done very well clearly he understands the job because he's worked at the top but what we had as a set up was a mish mash and anybody really want to argue the structure as was will be repeated?

We never needed a DOF and we don't need one now. We do need a genuine longer term strategy but that is lower down the priority list that delivering success quickly.

If we really had a joined up picture and faith in the road ahead we would have known MA's role, where Stewart Robertson fitted into things and how the manager interacted with the DOF.

We didn't and there's a reason for that.

Now it's down to the ability of SG and the team to stabilise things or else we are on plan Z. Bottom line is the board are good guys they should have been big and smart enough to put genuine football experts in position to determine how we met the challenge ahead. All their eggs are now in a basket marked Stevie G and if that doesn't work out we will seriously regret the time lost and a constant change of approaches of how to tackle getting back to the top.

We appointed a DoF never thinking we'd get a manager with the profile and presence of SG. SG is the most important part of the Club - we're not going to appoint a DoF independent of him.

Gerrard appears to be more like the statesmen type manager, he actually has quite a large backroom team which suggest he maybe doesn't do a lot of the actual coaching but tends to oversees things - like Walter or Ferguson would have done.

A DOF, imo doesn't go well with that type of manager, maybe if your manager is more of a Head Coach who is basically out working with the players all the time with little time for anything else.

I thought nothing of it yesterday as I assume he still has a house nearby but Martin Bain was in my work yesterday in Glasgow looking at cars

I saw him on a train into the city centre from the West End about a month ago, he’s quite probably back living in Glasgow now but linking him to us is 2+2=5 stuff imo.

It is true but how much of that is down to MA?

That's a question that really doesn't need an answer tbh. He came in at the lowest point we ever found ourselves in the top flight tbh. Anyone with anything even remotely resembling a football brain could have took us forward imho.

It’s pointless coming out and listing the reasons because it’ll only get me more criticism, especially on here & I’ve seen people destroyed for daring to go against the grain with him

I’ll stick to my opinion however because it is led, I’m glad he’s gone & I hope we recruit properly to replace him

He’s off to his next job & won’t give a %^*& about Rangers, largely like his time here

No worries mate, stick to your guns sure you have valid reasons

All the best for the future Mark and thanks for your efforts and the idea of bringing Stevie G to our club.

Why would you doubt we would look for another DoF if your hearing SG wants to work alone?

SG has had a much bigger influence on the football set up and signing strategy than MA.

Why would he want someone else in? Why would we waste a large wage?

Personally I don’t think we should look for a replacement at the moment. The football department looks good, scouting, coaches etc. I certainly dont want anyone coming in thinking hes the big shot and undermining Gerrard and there becoming a conflict of interest. Just not the right time.

Back