Mark Allen - Officially gone

Involved in some good signings, involved over in some poor ones. Not overly bothered or concerned. We move on

People aren't seriously suggesting Leeann Dempster for this role are they?

Heard him, Beale and Jimmy Bell were all fighting with Baseball bats and knifes in the HTC car park. Might be true...might not. Welcome to FF on a Friday lol

Scoulding is currently the Head of Scouting.

It would make sense to promote him as it would likely be difficult to hire someone externally at this stage in the season who is already in a job and at the level we require.

Scoulding into the Mark Allen role, Steve Doyle into Scoulding position.

Involved in some good signings, involved over in some poor ones. Not overly bothered or concerned. We move on

People aren't seriously suggesting Leeann Dempster for this role are they?

A pretty damning result though on the football strategy at the club from Warburton to Pedro to Allen to nearly McInnes to 7M spent on a young player after we brought in an army of players-have 2 strikers and no genuine LB and a midfield that is up for debate.

If we'd have got it 30% more right we'd be in a much stronger position.

We are one of few clubs in the UK with a DOF role that’s actually worked. We should try to retain that through appointing a replacement IMO.
There are countless sides with them in the UK that have been a success.

Thelwell at Wolves, Orta at Leeds, Husillos at West Ham, Wilson at Southampton, Edwards at Liverpool, Ankersen at Brentford, Brands at Everton and Begiristain at Man City. There are loads of others, too.

Back in 2013-14 when the idea of a DOF being implemented was floating about a name that was suggested was Nelinger. He knows the club, has a good knowledge of European football and is an intelligent guy. He was relieved from his last role (Bayern Munich DOF) and isn't doing much atm I think.

Think he would be worth a punt & would the people at the club be considering him? Guys in the know @ID10 @mdingwall etc.

Obviously he's been out of the game a few years so might not be a goer.

Mcgregor, arfield, Kent, Davis , kamara, Defoe and Katic his best work. Though 3 of those are returnees and Defoe is an easier punt.

But he’s had far more misses and there have been absolute stinkers. Sadiq, grezda, Doran’s, goss, nemane, lafferty, martin, ejaria, coulibaly , Worral, mcauley . Can’t blame him for Pena and Herrera as he was just in the door and this seasons recruits are too early to judge.
Can’t see why he is lauded. Decidedly average if you ask me. Imho our best three assets ( Kent still to start this season) in Morelos , Jack and Tavernier have zero to do with him.

I thank him for his service and the role he's played in revamping and modernising the club.

In terms of recruitment...well...could have been better.

Mcgregor, arfield, Kent, Davis , kamara, Defoe and Katic his best work. Though 3 of those are returnees and Defoe is an easier punt.

But he’s had far more misses and there have been absolute stinkers. Sadiq, grezda, Doran’s, goss, nemane, lafferty, martin, ejaria, coulibaly , Worral, mcauley . Can’t blame him for Pena and Herrera as he was just in the door and this seasons recuuts are too early to judge.
Can’t see why he is lauded. Decidedly average if you ask me. Imho our best three assests ( Kent still to start this season) in Morelos , Jack and Tavernier have zero to do with him.

I'm glad we paid a guy a fortune to find McGregor, Davis, Defoe and Arfield for us......

But he’s had far more misses and there have been absolute stinkers. Sadiq, grezda, Doran’s, goss, nemane, lafferty, martin, ejaria, coulibaly , Worral, mcauley . Can’t blame him for Pena and Herrera as he was just in the door and this seasons recuuts are too early to judge.
Can’t see why he is lauded. Decidedly average if you ask me. Imho our best three assests ( Kent still to start this season) in Morelos , Jack and Tavernier have zero to do with him.

Was getting rid of players in Mark Allan's remit? Seemed like we've paid off everyone bar Windass.

I guess he would have recommended that and the board had the final say.

A pretty damning result though on the football strategy at the club from Warburton to Pedro to Allen to nearly McInnes to 7M spent on a young player after we brought in an army of players-have 2 strikers and no genuine LB and a midfield that is up for debate.

If we'd have got it 30% more right we'd be in a much stronger position.
The manager is clearly happy with what he has at LB otherwise we would have bought someone

I thought a DoF is meant to outlive managers and be here longer. If as someone said earlier it is family issues then obviously understandable

I remember the poster Derek5287 on the old forum telling us that Allan was useless and wasn't very well liked around Ibrox.

He was always spot on.

The majority of those you list are loanees though - try before you buy if you like - so were obviously seen as ‘risky’ in the first place, perhaps Worrall being the exception in that context.

On permanent signings it’s undoubtedly a mixed bag. I’d argue though that that is kinda normal at most clubs. Regardless of which area of the market they are buying in. Megabucks or bargain basement.

But he’s had far more misses and there have been absolute stinkers. Sadiq, grezda, Doran’s, goss, nemane, lafferty, martin, ejaria, coulibaly , Worral, mcauley . Can’t blame him for Pena and Herrera as he was just in the door and this seasons recruits are too early to judge.
Can’t see why he is lauded. Decidedly average if you ask me. Imho our best three assets ( Kent still to start this season) in Morelos , Jack and Tavernier have zero to do with him.

When you list those names like that maybe there is no need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist.

Fair play to Allan - he’s done a very good job rebuilding the squad overall (with SG & co). Perhaps it’s for the best that all parties look forward to future growth and development!

Certainly doesn't sound like the hated and incompetent figure he's been portrayed as by some on here.

I dont think anyone hated him or even thought he was incompetent. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

I for one didnt buy into his comments about identifying players that fitted our ethos, philosophy and footballing strategy. That is just bullshit aimed at the hard of thinking.

Now Im left wondering why he's chosen to walk away. A strange decision and very odd timing. Perhaps some of his devotees on here can explain.

The manager is clearly happy with what he has at LB otherwise we would have bought someone

I think the whole point about MA is from what I can gather he and SG worked on different aspects of the signing policy.....bottom line though is we don't have a LB good enough for the season ahead, 2 strikers and we probably have no transfer kitty for January.

Considering what we brought in numbers wise it's not as neat as it should be.

Never struck me like the kind of job thats long term for the likes of him. Set things up and move on. A good contact for us for the future I’d hope

Lafferty, McGregor, Davis, Arfield and Defoe can't really be seen as Allen signings. We knew all about them before they returned/signed. Gerrard knew Kent through his Liverpool days.

We were linked with Kamara possibly before Allen. He's always liked Jones and Barker.

Katić has been a good signing, Goldson too.

ANNOUNCE *INSERT MATE OF STEVIE G HERE* AS REPLACEMENT
That might be the way it goes, and you do want your DoF and manager to work well together. Equally, part of the rationale for a DoF is I suppose to provide a bit of a check and balance vis a vis your manager. Suppose Pedro has installed his pet Mexican or Portuguese equivalent of Allen? And we saw Warburton with McParland. A good DoF should be capable of providing players to any manager, whether it is Gerrard or AN Other.

The part of the statement that he’s left us in a better position than when he arrived is very true. It’s also probably the best timing as the transfer window has just shut and gives us time to get a replacement.

Back