Midfield realistic targets?

Better prospects?

Will Campbell or Ferguson ever play at the high level such as Ligue 1, Primeira Liga or represent their country?

Free or not, he’ll cost us money and when we’re putting up tacky signs on the roof for more money, we can’t waste it on shite like Campbell & Ferguson ffs.
I have no doubt both will play for the country

No thanks

Zungu wasn't good enough but I would still have him in a heartbeat over Campbell etc, we got rid of similar players on McCrorie and Docherty and some fans would happily have a similar but even worse player signed.

I'm sorry but it's mind boggling to me that some fans just want headless chickens who get stuck in.
The thread is realistic rangers signings , so who’s a realistic signing?they fit the mould of cheap and possibly spun on for a fee if they don’t work out , realistically we aren’t going to go out and splash 10 m on say a 30 John fleck

The thread is realistic rangers signings , so who’s a realistic signing?they fit the mould of cheap and possibly spun on for a fee if they don’t work out , realistically we aren’t going to go out and splash 10 m on say a 30 John fleck

We are trying to qualify for the champions league next season.

I'm afraid Allan Campbell won't help us with that.

Igor kharatin 26 year old Ukrainian International he plays for Ferencvarosi in Hungary he's a player I really like good on the ball keeps things moving forward and at 6ft he's also got a physical presence he could lighten the load for Davis next season. He has champions league experience this season and has a win over the mentally challengeds this season
@ronadamus_prime have you watched Kharatin play?

Last edited:
I would move for Fransergio from Braga he can do it all. Boy can play his passing is superb technique is brilliant and can fair hit them too. Powerful player can break play up too just the type we don’t have.

Price could be a problem but if we sell someone for good money I’d have no problems with us spending 7/8/9m on him.
He’s 31 this year we won’t spend that type of money on a player of that age.

I don’t see it with names like Fleck, McCann, Campbell, Lundstrum, McLean etc.

All average players IMO despite playing down south.

He’s a solid player who could possibly add a more physical dimension to our midfield. I back our coaching to take raw talent in this league and get the best out of them. Before Jack came, I would never have thought of him as a good long-term player for us, injuries aside, he’s came on leaps and bounds since he 1st signed. Worst case scenario, he goes out on-loan.

He ranks pretty low in the his position for successful tackles, possession regains and interceptions.

If you're targetting physicality, McCann at St Johnstone has a higher output.

I don't think either is good enough for Rangers tbh.

We are trying to qualify for the champions league next season.

I'm afraid Allan Campbell won't help us with that.
Who do you think we will realistically sign ? If you think we are going to go out and spend 8-10 m on a player your dreaming , our budget won’t change we have massive books to balance

I don’t see it with names like Fleck, McCann, Campbell, Lundstrum, McLean etc.

All average players IMO despite playing down south.
None of those names stand out or excite me.

For me we need real quality and a combination of power, dig, pace, creativity, dynamic players who can make a difference.

Last edited:
We should try and sign Thiago Ezequiel Almada from Vélez Sarsfield in my opinion. Would probably set us back £4.5M - £6M. Worth it though.

A have feeling we will sign Ali McCann, he will be cheap as st Johnstone won’t be hard to deal with, we need at least two quality midfielders imo

There are plenty of midfielders throughout Europe we could buy for 3 or 4 million so we don't need to spend 10 million and we certainly don't need Campbell.

Some people on here would love an Aberdeen like team full of thugs and pish players just along as they put the boot in though that's all we are looking for.

We have a champions league to qualify for !

@ronadamus_prime have you watched Kharatin play?

Most weeks. As long as our games don't clash or overlap. He's a very good player. Just started being capped for Ukraine of late. Pretty sure he just signed a years extension to his contract at Fradi as well. They'll want decent money for him. I get a sense they are preparing for bids for him.

I felt he had a better season last season but then again, Champions League qualification aside, Ferencváros had a better season all round last season. More consistent. A few players came back from the winter break with their heads up their arse. Still won the title but they made it difficult for themselves. Kharatin has been very consistent and has improved since joining them 3 seasons ago.

I don't think he quite has Davis' metronomic qualities yet, but he's very solid defensively and his distribution is pretty good. He makes their midfield tick. He likes a crack at a goal too. Rebrov plays a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 usually.

Another midfielder I'd be looking at from the NB1 would be Dániel Gazdag. Plays for Honved and has been their best player for the past 2 seasons. His goal scoring numbers from midfield have been crazy. Been impressed every time I've watched him. Has been capped by Hungary of late as well.

No idea to be honest, but feel we need to 2 in there. As good as Steve Davis is, he isn't going to last forever and we can't count on Ryan Jack being fit all season. Arfield suffers from injuries from time to time and is getting on a bit. I like aribo but feel he produces more when further forward. The new boy we signed from Bournemouth will be a work on progress. So feel we need to 2 midfielders that are good enough for the first 11.

We need 2 more offensive midfielders, ones that can get beyond out forwards running off them. Defensive deep lying midfielders are not what we need!!

Surely Campbell and McCann on frees are worth a punt , no loose
I agree they are decent players, but are they of the quality that will be good enough to get us to the champions league? But I suppose it depends on how much money is in the kitty for players for next season.

If I was putting all my eggs in one basket id try to get this lad Joey Veerman Atalanta are interested and he's apparently available for €6 million which is a lot of us but doable for the right player still a young lad but he had a great range of passing

Thats the type of signing i would love to see. Ticks a lot of boxes.

We should try and sign Thiago Ezequiel Almada from Vélez Sarsfield in my opinion. Would probably set us back £4.5M - £6M. Worth it though.

and the rest! one of the most sought after young attackers in south America is not coming here mate

I think as a Scottish club is difficult the club nation trained element of the European squads mean we need to have players who play here

This year we had a reduced squad i think due to this.

We do need to look at what's closer by a week as talent outside Scotland difficult balance to get

Igor kharatin 26 year old Ukrainian International he plays for Ferencvarosi in Hungary he's a player I really like good on the ball keeps things moving forward and at 6ft he's also got a physical presence he could lighten the load for Davis next season. He has champions league experience this season and has a win over the mentally challengeds this season

Abdou Harroui 23 year old he's Dutch born but looks like he's going to play for Morocco he plays for Sparta Rotterdam he's like a better version if Arfield a high energy midfielder with pace and skill that goes from box to box and is excellent at pressing of the ball

I reckon we could get both for 5/6 million
+1 for Harroui

If I was putting all my eggs in one basket id try to get this lad Joey Veerman Atalanta are interested and he's apparently available for €6 million which is a lot for us but doable for the right player still a young lad but he had a great range of passing
Looks brilliant. I think he's out our reach sadly

I know it's League 1 but has anybody seen much of Jorge Grant at Lincoln?

He's put up some tremendous numbers from midfield/ AM (L).

Another very promising player in that league is Robert Atkinson at Oxford who looks like he will be playing at a much higher level soon.

Fleck and McCann would be downgrades on what we already have.

We need players who can get us into the champions league. Gilmour would be good but unlikely we will get him.

we need 3 midfielders, 2 of which have at least Europa League/title winning experience.

Fleck is a very good wee player stuck in a struggling side. Last season he was getting linked with Arsenal for silly money. Davis can’t go on forever and might not manage as many games, Kamara may be sold. Sensible acquisition if available for a reasonable price, though there’s likely to be EPL competition for him.

McCann is 21 and showing all signs he is going on to become an excellent midfielder. No telling how good he’ll be at this stage, similar to Kamara at Dundee. Fits our model perfectly.

Surely Campbell and McCann on frees are worth a punt , no loose situation really
Why no loose ? We still have to give them a contract and pay them. What if they are no good then sit on their backsides picking up a wage. Think we need proven first team quality

I’m fairly sure Gauld is out of contract, or close to it, in the summer. He is great to watch and would be effective against packed defences. He’s been one of the stand out players in Portugal this season.

Back