Midfield realistic targets?

This isn't a specific suggestion for him as he's a bit rough and wild and would be way outwith our budget but I've always liked the way Matteo Guendouzi plays. He's tall and has a long stride so seems to need about 2 steps and he's away from people, also good at driving box to box with the ball. Always thought if he could focus he could be a really good all round midfielder and I think it's someone in that mould we're lacking. Someone who can get about the pitch effortlessly and isn't afraid to carry the ball and also put in a good tackle. IMO we don't need a Fleck or McLean, we're fairly covered for midfielders who like to play from a bit deeper

Think against Slavia away we looked like we lacked a real athlete in the middle of the pitch so I think that should be a high priority

If we're talking realistic then I would like to think we are at least monitoring Ryan Gauld given how well he has been playing recently.

The lad is definitely flying this season with Farense in Portugal, perhaps finally realising his potential. Believe he is out of contract this summer although he has the option of a one year extension should he choose.

Strengthening the midfield is a MUST. I hope when considering new signings in this area that the management take into account not only their technical skills, but also whether or not they are likely to hack it in a league such as the SPL.

Having pace, a strong physical presence, and an ability to shoot from distance are some of the criteria I'd be looking for.

I’m not sure in all honesty, CM is the position we need to strengthen tho. Wouldn’t mind a big hard bast*rd in the midfield. Hopefully we get to the bottom of jacks injury this season and get him playing as many games as possible.

I wouldn't mind midfielder like that who scores more than 4 goals in 47 games though.

he hasn’t been as good this season but it is laughable to suggest that he isn’t a very good player. On form he would be a great addition to our team.

Fleck (John), McCann, Gilmour on loan.

Be outstanding if we can pull that off.

But I’m sure we’ll be casting the net much wider than the obvious ones.

I wouldn’t mind Campbell and McCann in if they’re both relatively cheap (I know Campbell’s contract is up, not sure about McCann but I think Middleton could be used in a negotiation) and young and would allow us to save the budget for 1/2 more expensive midfielders.

I also wouldn’t mind Arfield going. I love the guy but he can’t be trusted with injuries and form dips. Next season is make or break for me when it comes to Jack as well.

Fleck (John), McCann, Gilmour on loan.

Be outstanding if we can pull that off.

But I’m sure we’ll be casting the net much wider than the obvious ones.
Fleck and McCann would be downgrades on what we already have.

We need players who can get us into the champions league. Gilmour would be good but unlikely we will get him.

we need 3 midfielders, 2 of which have at least Europa League/title winning experience.

This isn't a specific suggestion for him as he's a bit rough and wild and would be way outwith our budget but I've always liked the way Matteo Guendouzi plays. He's tall and has a long stride so seems to need about 2 steps and he's away from people, also good at driving box to box with the ball. Always thought if he could focus he could be a really good all round midfielder and I think it's someone in that mould we're lacking. Someone who can get about the pitch effortlessly and isn't afraid to carry the ball and also put in a good tackle. IMO we don't need a Fleck or McLean, we're fairly covered for midfielders who like to play from a bit deeper

Think against Slavia away we looked like we lacked a real athlete in the middle of the pitch so I think that should be a high priority
Why not go for him and Balotteli ?
Guendouzi has caused trouble at every club he's been at. His career will be at numerous clubs, each one thinking he can be tamed. No doubting his ability.

Samuel Costa -Almeria on loan from Braga / They have an option to buy but if they don't get promoted we could maybe nick him looks perfect for us IMO.

Patrick Berg - FK Bodo/Glimt

Ali McCann- St Johnstone something about him and looks to me like he would be very coachable.
Lot of cautions for Costa is he a bit of a battler ? See fair few suggestions he goes to ground to tackle too .

berg looks pretty good maybe a future option for SD role but he still has 18 months on his deal

There is absolutely no way we should be signing Campbell even if they paid us.

This thread is utterly depressing.
So taking a young prospect on a free , what you got to loose , could turn out good , look at jack , or Christie for them , even if he’s bad sell him in a tear time make some money

I

think this is a great post I’m off to check that guy out but I see he is an arsenal player and in contract for another year

I wouldn’t mind Campbell and McCann in if they’re both relatively cheap (I know Campbell’s contract is up, not sure about McCann but I think Middleton could be used in a negotiation) and young and would allow us to save the budget for 1/2 more expensive midfielders.

I also wouldn’t mind Arfield going. I love the guy but he can’t be trusted with injuries and form dips. Next season is make or break for me when it comes to Jack as well.
Seriously what are you watching when you say you want Campbell in ? it's absolutely unbelievable anyone can watch him and want him to sign for Rangers.

So taking a young prospect on a free , what you got to loose , could turn out good , look at jack , or Christie for them , even if he’s bad sell him in a tear time make some money
He won't turn out good he is pish, his first touch is a slide tackle, absolutely no composure and would never get in our midfield, with Kamara the ability was there if people paid attention to him prior to signing for us.

Think I will take a break from this for a while it's mind numbing.

There are people on here who would happily line up with Ferguson and Campbell in our midfield!

Lot of cautions for Costa is he a bit of a battler ? See fair few suggestions he goes to ground to tackle too .

berg looks pretty good maybe a future option for SD role but he still has 18 months on his deal
Costa has a real bit of devilment about him that's what I like about him he is a big imposing physical presence as well but he has all the cultured footballing ability you would expect from a Portugese youth international lovely range of passing and vision etc.

Berg I agree with you I had him pencilled in as a long term Davis replacement Bodo have a left back we should be all over as well Fredrik André Bjørkan his contract is up in December.

says William Carvalho is on 62k euros a week.

Bit out of our range
So that’s 50 grand a week . It’s a lot but is it unachievable ? If we aim to keep Morelos , Kamara etc then we will need to pay roughly that . I think Goldson will soon be on 30k a week . All I’m saying is let’s not rule out good players , of course there will be a limit but quality does cost some money .

Fleck, Lundstram or Gauld...Are the easy obvious ones...

Im sure our scouting team are on it and have targets in mind.

Having CL will also attract a higher calibre of player (I hope)

He won't turn out good he is pish, his first touch is a slide tackle, absolutely no composure and would never get in our midfield, with Kamara the ability was there if people paid attention to him prior to signing for us.

Think I will take a break from this for a while it's mind numbing.

There are people on here who would happily line up with Ferguson and Campbell in our midfield!
Zungu played in it last year and both are much younger and far better prospects and again available on a free (well Campbell)

Zungu played in it last year and both are much younger and far better prospects and again available on a free (well Campbell)
Better prospects?

Will Campbell or Ferguson ever play at the high level such as Ligue 1, Primeira Liga or represent their country?

Free or not, he’ll cost us money and when we’re putting up tacky signs on the roof for more money, we can’t waste it on shite like Campbell & Ferguson ffs.

No thanks

Zungu wasn't good enough but I would still have him in a heartbeat over Campbell etc, we got rid of similar players on McCrorie and Docherty and some fans would happily have a similar but even worse player signed.

I'm sorry but it's mind boggling to me that some fans just want headless chickens who get stuck in.

That's a bit backward in terms of thinking. Kamara from Dundee, Goldson from Brighton, McLaughlin from Sunderland, Wright from Aberdeen, Aribo from Charlton. Not forgetting Kent from Liverpool reserves. These are all examples of players we have signed who have been unfancied prior to us signing them.

Fleck and lundstram both are important first team players for an Epl side. I trust our management team and if that is who they go for, they have done more than enough to earn our trust and respect that they are the right players for our team.
I have NO idea if this is accurate, but SUFC dont pay the biggest wages in the EPL. The figures for the other clubs look about right from what you see in the papers.

Seriously what are you watching when you say you want Campbell in ? it's absolutely unbelievable anyone can watch him and want him to sign for Rangers.
He’s a solid player who could possibly add a more physical dimension to our midfield. I back our coaching to take raw talent in this league and get the best out of them. Before Jack came, I would never have thought of him as a good long-term player for us, injuries aside, he’s came on leaps and bounds since he 1st signed. Worst case scenario, he goes out on-loan.

Igor kharatin 26 year old Ukrainian International he plays for Ferencvarosi in Hungary he's a player I really like good on the ball keeps things moving forward and at 6ft he's also got a physical presence he could lighten the load for Davis next season. He has champions league experience this season and has a win over the mentally challengeds this season

Abdou Harroui 23 year old he's Dutch born but looks like he's going to play for Morocco he plays for Sparta Rotterdam he's like a better version if Arfield a high energy midfielder with pace and skill that goes from box to box and is excellent at pressing of the ball

I reckon we could get both for 5/6 million

Last edited:
Ali McCann signed with a view to taking over in midfield the following summer is one to look at.

Maybe loan out for a season but it’s clear he’s going on to big things

Won’t be guys at 29/30 as suggested in this thread. We have a model we work on
Igor kharatin 26 year old Ukrainian International he plays for Ferencvarosi in Hungary he's a player I really like good on the ball keeps things moving forward and at 6ft he's also got a physical presence he could lighten the load for Davis next season. He has champions league experience this season and has a win over the mentally challengeds this season

Abdou Harroui 23 year old he's Dutch born but looks like he's going to play for Morocco he plays for Sparta Rotterdam he's like a better version if Arfield a high energy midfielder with pace and skill that goes from box to box and is excellent at pressing of the ball

I reckon we could get both for 5/6 million

This are the guys we need to be targetting along this lines at least

English Borunemouth reserves simply wont cut it here

Why not go for him and Balotteli ?
Guendouzi has caused trouble at every club he's been at. His career will be at numerous clubs, each one thinking he can be tamed. No doubting his ability.
I wasn't advocating us trying to sign Guendouzi, he's just a good example of the type of player I think we need on the pitch.

No thanks

Zungu wasn't good enough but I would still have him in a heartbeat over Campbell etc, we got rid of similar players on McCrorie and Docherty and some fans would happily have a similar but even worse player signed.

I'm sorry but it's mind boggling to me that some fans just want headless chickens who get stuck in.
Think when it comes to Ferguson for example it's the name and relation to the club instead of his footballing ability forgetting that he wouldn't even make our bench.

Campbell is a decent player at the level we play but he is nowhere near good enough to displace what we have already.

Lundstram as we're getting kicked about too often and obvs the officials arent going to card anyone as they deserve. Our opponents wouldnt end games with 11 if they did.

No we need someone to start kicking back and hed provide a bit of dig, as well as being a skilful player in his own right.

The likes of Lewis Ferguson, or any SPFL young player, would cost way over the odds and wouldnt be worth it.

Rangers need a bit more muscle and bit more zip through the middle of mid.

An absolute bastard who can win the ball and hold it to complement Steven Davis, and another strong, physical ball carrier who is going to run at defences and go beyond the striker.

I’m sure we’ll identify the right players.

I would move for Fransergio from Braga he can do it all. Boy can play his passing is superb technique is brilliant and can fair hit them too. Powerful player can break play up too just the type we don’t have.

Price could be a problem but if we sell someone for good money I’d have no problems with us spending 7/8/9m on him.

I like to think we have reports on the young Scottish midfielders, McCann, Ferguson & Campbell and I’ll be happy to go with the management teams judgement but One thing is for sure we now won’t be held to ransom by Scottish clubs and can cast our net wide for value.
Ross Wilson will hopefully have this covered.

Back