Midfield realistic targets?

I don’t get the Lundstrum love in on here. He’s never looked particularly good to me.

If we were to go to Sheffield Utd I’d much prefer we tried to bring John Fleck back. He could, in my opinion, do the Davis role in our midfield. We’re probably unable to afford him though, would not surprise me if another EPL club came in for him, he’s performed well down there over a number of years.

I‘m happy to let Ross Wilson surprise us with some talent we are not yet aware of that we can bring in then sell for £15m in a couple of years.

Hopefully Ross Wilson has identified a couple of midfielders only one I’ve seen mentioned that I think would be good for the future is McCann think we need better quality than has been mentioned if we are going to be competing in the Champions league.There has to be quality out there and a lot of clubs willing to sell or players willing to come in this financial climate a hell of a lot of clubs in Europe and beyond are struggling to survive so I’m sure we’ll get the quality we desperately need if we’re to advance on all fronts next season as much as I love this team and what they’ve achieved we really need to get some quality in not only in midfield but up front as well.

Why not ? Real betis not Real Madrid

If we can’t get him what about the other one also Portuguese stood out a mile for me for Porto against us , Danilo . He only cost them 4.5 million . Yes he’s 30 but for me the two I’ve mentioned are the type we need
The guy that's on loan at PSG?

I don’t get the Lundstrum love in on here. He’s never looked particularly good to me.

If we were to go to Sheffield Utd I’d much prefer we tried to bring John Fleck back. He could, in my opinion, do the Davis role in our midfield. We’re probably unable to afford him though, would not surprise me if another EPL club came in for him, he’s performed well down there over a number of years.

I‘m happy to let Ross Wilson surprise us with some talent we are not yet aware of that we can bring in then sell for £15m in a couple of years.
I think it's because he had a purple patch and scored 5 goals last season.

I am not sure on targets but we have to upgrade on the quality we have already. The game against Prague showed us that we were just that bit short and if we are to qualify for the Champions league group stages then it needs addressed. Lewis Ferguson and Allan Campbell are not upgrades and shouldn't even be considered.

Niklas Dorsch certainly appears to have been one that got away last summer, went to Gent for £3m, they look to have missed out on Europe, but we’d likely need to double their £3m to even start a discussion.

And I am also in the ‘Billy Gilmour on loan’ camp, add in these two along with a fully cured Ryan Jack and wee be in god shape.

I don’t know much about Majer

Won’t be guys at 29/30 as suggested in this thread. We have a model we work on
Were we working to that model when we brought in 30 year old Scott Arfield, 34 year old Steven Davis, 36 year old Jermain Defoe?

Yes we have a model we work on, and part of that is supplementing young raw talent with seasoned proven professionals. I'd like to see two centre mids brought in, one young up and coming promising player ala Majer (although he's likely well out of our reach now) and an experienced quality pro that still has mileage left, the likes of Fransergio from Braga. Wouldn't be cheap but if it got us to the CL group stages then they'd have earned their fee 10x over.

Really impressed with the lad Harrison Reed at Fulham but prob out our price range

McLean is a good player but might fancy crack at the premiership again

If we are competing in all fronts then players like McCann, Campbell dare I say Ferguson should be considered as we need a strong squad as has been seen this season.

A few years ago maybe but he was linked with wba and Norwich in January and the figures quoted weren’t big
Exactly this . It’s more than possible but people just dismissing it is so parochial . Probably the same posters think ferguson and mclean are the answers .

I’d like John Fleck and Kenny McLean. Really wish we had went for McLean when he was out of contract at the sheep shaggers.
I preferred McLean to Jack when they were both at Aberdeen but would take fleck and McLean. Only thing with fleck is he has a year left and I could see a premier league team outbidding us for him

Why not ? Real betis not Real Madrid

If we can’t get him what about the other one also Portuguese stood out a mile for me for Porto against us , Danilo . He only cost them 4.5 million . Yes he’s 30 but for me the two I’ve mentioned are the type we need
You're either at it or thick as a punna mince. Danilo is on loan at PSG, who have an obligation to buy in the summer for 18m

Lundstrum not for me either, rank rotten season. A plodding type. Lee McCulloch without the talent

You're either at it or thick as a punna mince. Danilo is on loan at PSG, who have an obligation to buy in the summer for 18m
I didn’t know that . He’s out then . Just remember him for Porto against us and he looked a player . Not everybody is up to speed with these moves . £18 mill is chickenfeed for PSG but to a normal club would be a lot for a 30 year old .

Were we working to that model when we brought in 30 year old Scott Arfield, 34 year old Steven Davis, 36 year old Jermain Defoe?

Yes we have a model we work on, and part of that is supplementing young raw talent with seasoned proven professionals. I'd like to see two centre mids brought in, one young up and coming promising player ala Majer (although he's likely well out of our reach now) and an experienced quality pro that still has mileage left, the likes of Fransergio from Braga. Wouldn't be cheap but if it got us to the CL group stages then they'd have earned their fee 10x over.
You’ve kinda answered your own point. No, we were not working to that model signing those 3 players. They were signed under previous DOF who had a scattergun approach.

Since Ross Wilson arrived, the signing model has clearly changed.

Niklas Dorsch certainly appears to have been one that got away last summer, went to Gent for £3m, they look to have missed out on Europe, but we’d likely need to double their £3m to even start a discussion.

And I am also in the ‘Billy Gilmour on loan’ camp, add in these two along with a fully cured Ryan Jack and wee be in god shape.

I don’t know much about Majer
Dorsch would be a good signing, we might get him on a loan to buy as he not been playing regularly

You’ve kinda answered your own point. No, we were not working to that model signing those 3 players. They were signed under previous DOF who had a scattergun approach.

Since Ross Wilson arrived, the signing model has clearly changed.
Fair play on that, I didn't realise that Wilson arrived after those players. I still feel that we perform better with a balance, but as you point out that may not be on Wilsons mind.

Whoever we bring in has to be starters, need 2 quality reinforcements in midfield, we're well covered in other areas of the squad, hopefully what budget we have is used in that area.

Not really many names mentioned that are particularly exciting or really going to improve our first 11 IMO. If we can’t sign someone that can make an impact on the first team I’d rather we didn’t waste money and instead look at promoting to the youth.

I would take McCann from St Johnstone and would look at Paddy McNair currently at Middlesbrough and also a Northern Ireland international

You’re forming part of his point.

We have filled our quota of the older more experienced players. Like the ones you mentioned.

We need fresh young talent to keep the squad as hungry as ever. You go down a dangerous path when the starting XI is filled with 5/6 guys at 30 or over.

Forward planning is needed and I can see us in the market for some younger players this window.

Billy Gilmour isn’t coming back up to the SPFL on loan ffs :))
He will be loaned out somewhere, I don't think the SPFL is the biggest obstacle here, it's the exorbitant loan fees Chelsea charge for these players. It's basically money down the drain for a player you can't and never will afford to sign permanently. Just think how much the Scum must have wasted on loan fees this season alone!

Absolutely no one on here knows who our realistic targets would be.
This is absolutely true, the club generally do their business in secret.
This is a fan forum though, it would be quite boring if nobody had an opinion or discussion.

Reactions: cav
People need to stop being snobs when it comes to players we need players of the mould of Ryan jack and the likes of McLean and lundstram fit that mould at the right wages! If we were buying players like that to replace Davis, Morelos etc then yes I would moan too

He will be loaned out somewhere, I don't think the SPFL is the biggest obstacle here, it's the exorbitant loan fees Chelsea charge for these players. It's basically money down the drain for a player you can't and never will afford to sign permanently. Just think how much the Scum must have wasted on loan fees this season alone!

The SPFL will be a massive obstacle for both Chelsea and Billy himself.

Games vs the likes of Motherwell, County, Livi, St Mirren etc plus possibly a few big matches champions league and the mentally challengeds.

Or a full season on loan to an EPL side, La Liga, Ligue 1 etc team.

There is absolutely no way we should be signing Campbell even if they paid us.

This thread is utterly depressing.
It’s absolutely incredible to me that after watching how far Gerrard has taken us in Europe these past 3 seasons , and seeing the quality of opposition as we approach the later stages , the same posters scoffing at my suggestion of a player like carvalho at betis think we should just take a punt on motherwell and st johnstone players and that will enhance us .

I’ve nothing against snapping up genuine talent if it’s here in Scotland , but surely we need to start looking to actually move up a level in quality . I don’t think Gerrard will want to stand still the way some fans seem to want to , thankfully .

It’s absolutely incredible to me that after watching how far Gerrard has taken us in Europe these past 3 seasons , and seeing the quality of opposition as we approach the later stages , the same posters scoffing at my suggestion of a player like carvalho at betis think we should just take a punt on motherwell and st johnstone players and that will enhance us .

I’ve nothing against snapping up genuine talent if it’s here in Scotland , but surely we need to start looking to actually move up a level in quality . I don’t think Gerrard will want to stand still the way some fans seem to want to , thankfully .
Yes, perhaps the truth is somewhere between a Portuguese international, at the peak of his career, playing in a good side in a top league and a Motherwell workhorse.
I'd suggest the truth is probably closer to the Motherwell player though, given the finances involved.

I said a while back I'd love to sign Stuart Dallas but unfortunately for us he's been fantastic this season and nowhere near our price bracket. Shows the importance of moving at the right time.
Leeds might want to take things to the next level next season so he might find himself down the pecking order

Samuel Costa -Almeria on loan from Braga / They have an option to buy but if they don't get promoted we could maybe nick him looks perfect for us IMO.

Patrick Berg - FK Bodo/Glimt

Ali McCann- St Johnstone something about him and looks to me like he would be very coachable.

Lots of good players around I think we should be trying to find a player like Lukas Provod they picked him up in there domestic league from Victoria plzen .

the guy I thought about who is OoC is this one , I’ve. It seen him play but his skills reel and rep suggest he is a good level . Having watched the clips it’s possible he isn’t all that quick maybe more of a Roofe type than conventional MF
Mijo caktas

Last edited:
Back