Midfield realistic targets?

If I was putting all my eggs in one basket id try to get this lad Joey Veerman Atalanta are interested and he's apparently available for €6 million which is a lot for us but doable for the right player still a young lad but he had a great range of passing

I see the Record are running with this now. Either you are Steven Mair or the record have just lifted your suggestion and made a story out of it

I see the Record are running with this now. Either you are Steven Mair or the record have just lifted your suggestion and made a story out of it
Would love to claim that I'm ITK however it was a bit of a lucky coincidence that I put him in here at the same time the Dutch media linked him to us

Last edited:
From memory, it was his performances for Dundee United in the SPL that earned him a move to Sporting. What are you basing this opinion of him on? His size and build?
Yes his size and build and that he’s said he prefers the style and speed of the Portuguese game to ours.
Yes he made his name at Scumdee Utd and got his move to Sporting B but his Hibs loan was a disaster and he still hasn’t broken through into the Scotland side

Much needed creativity, pace and a goal threat need added to midfield. It's one thing having control of the football but it's another actually doing something with it.

Every team knows we are either going to try and find Kent or switch it out wide. Add in the fact that some of our team seem to be running on fumes I will be amazed if we don't add at least two bits of quality in that position.

If we are spending decent money that is where it should be spent but it's one that our manager has largely ignored for some reason.

If I was putting all my eggs in one basket id try to get this lad Joey Veerman Atalanta are interested and he's apparently available for €6 million which is a lot for us but doable for the right player still a young lad but he had a great range of passing
Looking at that video he is strong on the ball, two footed, can dribble and his vision and passing are first class. The gaffer would have been proud of some of those. Takes penalties too. We have a good history with Dutch players integrating well and their league is a decent standard. Looks a good option, although you can’t see from the video what he’s like without the ball - workrate etc. £5.5m is a lot for us but for a CL quality CM to replace Davis it’s not a lot.

I've mentioned Ljubicic on a bosman but I think if we get him in it gives us more scope to push the boat out a bit for someone of a higher calibre than what we currently have in the squad from a certain point of view.

This guy going by reports if they're accurate would fit that criteria.

No idea on specific players but a player like Arfield of September-January (better athlete and more ball retention hopefully) & a Davis replacement have to be the signings in the middle this summer imo. We play our best football when we have a fully fit on form Arfield.

Igor kharatin 26 year old Ukrainian International he plays for Ferencvarosi in Hungary he's a player I really like good on the ball keeps things moving forward and at 6ft he's also got a physical presence he could lighten the load for Davis next season. He has champions league experience this season and has a win over the mentally challengeds this season

Abdou Harroui 23 year old he's Dutch born but looks like he's going to play for Morocco he plays for Sparta Rotterdam he's like a better version if Arfield a high energy midfielder with pace and skill that goes from box to box and is excellent at pressing of the ball

I reckon we could get both for 5/6 million

My favourite post of the thread FN.

No thanks

Zungu wasn't good enough but I would still have him in a heartbeat over Campbell etc, we got rid of similar players on McCrorie and Docherty and some fans would happily have a similar but even worse player signed.

I'm sorry but it's mind boggling to me that some fans just want headless chickens who get stuck in.
We’ve just been outfought in yet another domestic cup competition , without a midfielder on the bench & a forward in midfield . I want a young robust , run through walls type added .

Sorry if your minds boggling .

I think we have found that based upon Davis Jack Arfield being in the group we need to increase our total MF staff by one . So two for each position plus another .

Will throw a name out there which will no doubt get some backlash but drinkwater from Chelsea appears to be needing a fresh start? And i could only imagine he dreams about gerrard lol just to throw a curve ball into the mix lol

Yes his size and build and that he’s said he prefers the style and speed of the Portuguese game to ours.
Yes he made his name at Scumdee Utd and got his move to Sporting B but his Hibs loan was a disaster and he still hasn’t broken through into the Scotland side
His build is unrecognisable to when he was 18. He’s very strong on the ball and is good in the tackle. He was never properly fit at Hibs and is a completely different player now. He will go to one of the big teams in Portugal over the summer. I’ve seen him quite a few times this season and he’d walk into our team.

Looking at that video he is strong on the ball, two footed, can dribble and his vision and passing are first class. The gaffer would have been proud of some of those. Takes penalties too. We have a good history with Dutch players integrating well and their league is a decent standard. Looks a good option, although you can’t see from the video what he’s like without the ball - workrate etc. £5.5m is a lot for us but for a CL quality CM to replace Davis it’s not a lot.
I would be delighted if we could get him. I think there will be a lot of interest though.

I've mentioned Ljubicic on a bosman but I think if we get him in it gives us more scope to push the boat out a bit for someone of a higher calibre than what we currently have in the squad from a certain point of view.

This guy going by reports if they're accurate would fit that criteria.
Ljubicic has already agreed to move to FC Koln in Germany I did consider him as a bit of a bargain addition however Veerman has much more to his game and is the superior player plus he has baggage he and another Rapid player vandalized a mosque a few years back

Reactions: cav
Young lad at Brentford looked battle hardened and a tidy player in Vitaly Janelt. I had a wee look and is a German U21 so good pedigree.
What caught my eye though was he shares the same Agent as Gerrard, had a wee browse as you do and I could be wrong but this could be where the rag get their throw shit at a wall sources.

Now it's possible they do have a source (i.e tea lady) at Wasserman agency because there's are some names that I vaguely remember have been rumoured links to us (could be wrong again though) that pre date Gerrard, Chris Brunt, Adebajo, Choudhury, Bradley Dack, Lescott there may well be more. In the Gerrard era there's Andre Gray, Downing, Lucas Piazon, Luke Garbutt, Jack Harper, Van Ginkel, Jack Wilshire, Gustavo Hamer, Allan Campbell. Now we have signed Flanagan and Defoe but the ex teammates link was clear with them, also Andy King but that looked a decent loan on paper and maybe the gaffer did get tipped off and had him pushed in his direction. For me those 3 are Not enough to give these rumours any credence.
Almost like I said they have a tea lady source, take a retainer to punt out rumours for the agency, do what I done and search free transfers or fees within our range like and fire shit at a wall OR a combination of the 3. Anyway they're fucking clueless and if we're taking anyone from that agency I'll take the 3 USA boys in their ranks, Sargent, McKennie and Reyna would solve all our problems. Fire in a 4th with Freddy Adu just to keep the Football Manager massive happy :cool:
So a short answer to your question OP I fancy Janelt :)) and as long as the Daily Record don't run a rumour we may have a chance of signing him!

Gauld, Sakala, the two Dutch lads. We could fund all that by the sale of Hagi, Edmundson and Jones and release of Stewart/Defoe/Murphy. The squad would be leaner and more productive

Our management team will have the plans laid out for next season. Total trust in them for a tilt at Champions League qualification. You’ll never second guess them till business is done.

Gauld, Sakala, the two Dutch lads. We could fund all that by the sale of Hagi, Edmundson and Jones and release of Stewart/Defoe/Murphy. The squad would be leaner and more productive
I reckon the Dutch lads will cost us £10 million plus.

The defender is £1.5 million it's a no brainer regardless of our many options in defence.

The midfielder is the problem in terms of the fee your talking anything between €7-12 million that's the quotes coming out of Holland.

PSV were quoted €12 million and went elsewhere.

Atalanta want him for €7 million

Might be outwith our reach sadly.

Back