Missing Rangers fan

I'd say friends and family should avoid all forms of social media until the poor chap is found. Been following this from day one but never posted as I never expected a happy ending.
I'm very good friends with people close to gregor and his wife, social media has been used and is probably the biggest platform where the search has been made public. The idiots should desist, but stories are all being shared by those closest to them because it what we've been asked to do. Speculation posts on here need removed and people have a good word with themselves.

Just been on fb and it’s a bloody disgrace. People all speculating and the worst bit tagging his wife and family. I’m pretty sure they already know more than the Evening Times or Glasgow Live, there’s no need for that. It won’t tell them anything new.

Jesus Christ, that’s incredible. Some people are just so feckin stupid at times.

The speculation is doing no-one any good, especially his family. This brings out the type of person who is right up there with the gutter press & the pain in the arse gossip that lives on any street. I am sure a lot of us on this thread could say more, divulge more and share more but out of respect for Gregor and his family we keep our counsel so things are done properly and respectfully.

Don't be the arsehole just for the idea you're getting an exclusive, some likes or breaking news, at the end of the day you're just an arsehole.

I'm very good friends with people close to gregor and his wife, social media has been used and is probably the biggest platform where the search has been made public. The idiots should desist, but stories are all being shared by those closest to them because it what we've been asked to do. Speculation posts on here need removed and people have a good word with themselves.

Absolutely but I don't use Facebook because I think it's an invasion of privacy. In this case I don't think it has helped at all and it was best left to the police to find the chap

The speculation is doing no-one any good, especially his family. This brings out the type of person who is right up there with the gutter press & the pain in the arse gossip that lives on any street. I am sure a lot of us on this thread could say more, divulge more and share more but out of respect for Gregor and his family we keep our counsel so things are done properly and respectfully.

Don't be the arsehole just for the idea you're getting an exclusive, some likes or breaking news, at the end of the day you're just an arsehole.

Nailed it!

from greater glasgow police

We can confirm that around 11.00 am, the body of a man was recovered from the River Kelvin in the vicinity of Dullatur Bridge.

Formal identification has yet to take place. However, the family of Gregor Gibbons, who was reported missing from the Colston area of Glasgow on Tuesday, 2 July 2019 has been informed.

A post-mortem will take place to establish his cause of death, which is currently being treated as being unexplained, and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

Police statement:

We can confirm that around 11.00 am, the body of a man was recovered from the River Kelvin in the vicinity of Dullatur Bridge.

Formal identification has yet to take place. However, the family of Gregor Gibbons, who was reported missing from the Colston area of Glasgow on Tuesday, 2 July 2019 has been informed.

A post-mortem will take place to establish his cause of death, which is currently being treated as being unexplained, and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

Just been on fb and it’s a bloody disgrace. People all speculating and the worst bit tagging his wife and family. I’m pretty sure they already know more than the Evening Times or Glasgow Live, there’s no need for that. It won’t tell them anything new.
Tagging the family???? Where is the decorum we would associate with Scots? My God, social media has ruined people's sense of decency.

I'd say friends and family should avoid all forms of social media until the poor chap is found. Been following this from day one but never posted as I never expected a happy ending.
How could they possibly avoid it? get your sentiment mate but if a loved one of yours was missing there's no little bit of info good or bad you wouldn't want to hear to try and get to the bottom of it all.

Didn't know the fellow, I kept looking at this thread in the hope that a good outcome would happen. It would appear that this is not the case. My sincere condolences to family and friends.

Ghouls will be ghouls folk, I’m convinced some folk get a kick out of it!
Way too many mate. Others trying to be helpful but posting silly things too.

Obviously his family will be in regular contact with the authorities and not everything is posted in public domain and rightly so.

Edit
Just saw the above and in disbelief at this whole case.

Such a terrible situation :(

Terrible news, haven't spoke to Gregor in a while but used to see him around now and again, used to look forward to his post match photos after every game. Will be missed by all who knew him.

Not yet but id imagine the police only release statements like that and inform the family when theyre very confident its the right person.

Yes, it's formalities at this stage. Such an awful end to the entire situation.

My thoughts are with his family having suffered from a similar situation. They'll need their friends around them for a long time to come as there will be so many unanswered questions .

from greater glasgow police

Jesus. Tragic news.

Relief in one way for all that knew Gregor better than I but all will be absolutely devastated.

Sleep well Gibby.

terrible news. only found out recently that my mum was friendly with his mum.
my thoughts are with everyone affected.

Absolutely tragic. I dont have words other than to wish his family and friends strength for the coming days. Rest easy, Gregor.

Saw this had a lot of posts since I looked yesterday and feared the worst. Fucking hell.

I knew Gregor through Rangers and spent a fair bit of time with him on a trip to Tel-Aviv.

It is no exaggeration or overly sympathetic to say that he was a great guy. A truly great wee guy. Always with time for everyone.

We’ve often spoken on here about the media and social media accentuating only peoples good points and missing the bad.
Well for him, there were none. I don’t know of anyone with a single bad word to say about him.

So sorry for him and his family.

Back