Nathan Patterson

I said in a group chat that Patterson would get 5 mins max. He got 2 more than that (before injury time).

Young Hendry (other than being a tad rash having a speculative shot in the 1st game) didn't do much wrong, but is benched in favour of Scott fcuking Mckenna, Ryan Fraser hasn't played that often for his club, yet is brought on in front of Turnbull. Dykes is not up to it at this level & Adams looks like he has the touch of a mitre 5 being blootered off a brick wall, but Nisbett doesn't see much game time.

Different manager, same old "caps for favourites" style thinking unfortunately.

What was the quote attributed to Einstein re madness?

I have a bit more info on Turnbull to be fair due to my old man working at Motherwell when he was there. People are kidding themselves on if they dont think hes a top player.
Doesn’t change the fact there is about half a dozen players ahead of him in his role

I don't see Tav being happy to sit out league games after European ties but Patterson probably will start the domestic cups, I just don't think Clarke will start him in the qualifiers if that's the case.
Tav has been amazing that he has played so many seasons without injury. He's getting older and 60 games a season isn't on anymore. It's unlikely the injury he got last season will be the last. Can see Patterson be used throughout the season

Doesn’t change the fact there is about half a dozen players ahead of him in his role
Thats my point mate Clarke should give these boys a chance.. like Patterson, Gilmour (in first game) and Turnbull tonight.

Odonnell is ahead of Patterson as it stands which in most peoples opinions shouldn't be so who Clarke has ahead of a player isnt really a good judgement imo.

Last edited:
He was never going to give Patterson much time in the game, he was too afraid of what young Gilmour did too his reputation IE showed the world he is a crap manager with no football brain?

Which is why Clarke should be sacked. Unfortuantely 15 rounds of the holey kokey while the team get stuffed will keep the manager in a job.

Back on topic, Patterson got forward and provided an attacking option where Robertson and O'Donnell did not. Noticed one move where he passed and moved and then looked bemused that he didn't get it back as he advanced towards the D. Tierney, Gilmour and Patterson should be mainstays of the national team for years to come
Robertson and Tierney get in reach others way a lot in that formation but in general Robertson is good

I don't see Tav being happy to sit out league games after European ties but Patterson probably will start the domestic cups, I just don't think Clarke will start him in the qualifiers if that's the case.
I think we get one more season of tav and we will look to move on unless

And epl team decides take a punt on Patterson before he is fully established

Sad thing is he only put Patterson on after the game was lost, as a box ticking exercise. Should have been on early second half as SOD was tiring and they had figured him out. I would say that Patterson, Turnbull, Gilmour are the future, add to that Adams and Robertson, we have the start of a decent team. Not sure about the Hibs player at the moment.

Done out of a couple of caps cause O’Donnell is Steve Clark’s pal
As annoyed as I am about the whole right wing back situation in this competition, my real anger will come when Clarke and his media lapdogs try to justify it as being the correct decision.

It happened already after the England game when he justified the selections of O'Donnell and Marshall by telling us all "i told you so", when in fact all it proved was that he completely screwed the team v the Czechs.

No Steve, we told you so and it was proved again today,

Further, at a minimum, Patterson should have been on at 1-2 with 30 minutes to make an impact, not 1-3 with 8 minutes left.

Points to ponder from these Euros.
1: Patterson will never get a look in as long as Clarke is manager.
2: Lyndon Dykes would struggle to get a game for Australia
3: There is a reason Steve Clarke will never get a top job in football (Even the Tims could see that a mile away)
4: If Clarke gets the boot its McInnes next!!!

What happens with Patterson next season, cause he ain't getting Tavs place.

I’m gonna get slaughtered for this and you know what fine, we should look to give Tavs place to Patterson over the next season or 2. Yes Tav is our captain and yes he offers a lot (understatement) going forward but we cannot afford to let Patterson go he is in my mind easily a potential future Rangers and Scotland captain.

He was never going to give Patterson much time in the game, he was too afraid of what young Gilmour did too his reputation IE showed the world he is a crap manager with no football brain?
Good point, however I think that if Clarke had started Patterson ahead of O'Donnell and we won the match, he would gladly take the criticism of all of us on FF, of course I'm kidding but could he be that daft, not to start young Nathan in case we won, therefore proving he got it wrong in the previous 2 matches with his lineup choices.

I don't know, hell I don't think Clarke knows what he's doing let alone anyone else.

As annoyed as I am about the whole right wing back situation in this competition, my real anger will come when Clarke and his media lapdogs try to justify it as being the correct decision.

It happened already after the England game when he justified the selections of O'Donnell and Marshall by telling us all "i told you so", when in fact all it proved was that he completely screwed the team v the Czechs.

No Steve, we told you so and it was proved again today,

Further, at a minimum, Patterson should have been on at 1-2 with 30 minutes to make an impact, not 1-3 with 8 minutes left.
They (the media talking heads) always bring up "lack of experience at this level" as an excuse to leave out the young lads.

We all said it here before the Euros started that he'd play Nathan after we were out, and he didn't disappoint. I think the hatred and lack of respect they have for Rangers FC drives them to make poor decisions regarding the starting lineup, hell he never wanted to play Ryan Jack either.

There is absolutely no justification whatsoever for starting O’Donnell ahead of Patterson. None.

Unless youre making a judgement call based on factors outwith football.

%^*& Steve Clarke

What happens with Patterson next season, cause he ain't getting Tavs place.
Could it be that Tavs place could be ahead of him? Just a thought, I’d also like to see if tav could move into midfield at some point and see how he does in there, he has quick feet, an eye for a pass and a tremendous engine on him, lots of qualities that a good midfielder imo.
I’m pretty sure Nathan will get more than enough game time this coming season

In Gilmour and Patterson he had two exciting wildcards that would have gave the opposition trouble and may well have been the difference between oot and in.

No balls more like it, he knows what hes doing even though its clearly the wrong choice(s).

O'Donnell could easily be the RB for as long as Steve Clarke is manager.

Clarke is clearly a bit of a dinosaur. But the idea he didn’t play Patterson because he’s a rangers player is patently absurd. He also didn’t give Celtic ‘wonder kid’ DT 1 minute at the finals.

The reason he didn’t pick Patterson was he trusts experience over form and ability. He also decided with 9 games or so that Patterson simply hadn’t played enough football even though that argument is negated by the fact most of his game time came in the immediate run up to the finals.

It is the same reason gilmour didn’t start game one. Experience first. Loyalty to the players who got us there first. Safety first.

A braver and bolder manager sees Patterson, Gilmour and Turnbull as his three on form and free wheeling kids with zero fear, so builds his tournament around their presence.

Could it be that Tavs place could be ahead of him? Just a thought, I’d also like to see if tav could move into midfield at some point and see how he does in there, he has quick feet, an eye for a pass and a tremendous engine on him, lots of qualities that a good midfielder imo.
I’m pretty sure Nathan will get more than enough game time this coming season
I can’t see Tav as a midfielder. He’s more suited to wing back where he can have space to charge up and down the flanks. I think we have other players more able to receiving the ball in midfield back to goal in tight areas. Alas we have the two best right wing backs in Scotland. Is this a luxury we can afford or do we make the hitherto unthinkable decision of cashing in on our captain, Tav ?

I think it was McCoist who said towards the end of the game that Scotland have some talent coming through the ranks, which I agree with, but they'll never get a chance under a dinosaur like Clarke. I mean utting Patterson and Nisbet on with 10 minutes to go with the game already gone? Ah well, my son might see them qualify again for something in 20+ years.

It's a strange one, we finally produce a real talent from the youth team and he comes up against one of our best players and captain.

If we keep him as a sub short term its great as we have a great back up, but long term he doesn't keep developing.

Put him on loan, Tav gets injured and we're in trouble

I said in a group chat that Patterson would get 5 mins max. He got 2 more than that (before injury time).

Young Hendry (other than being a tad rash having a speculative shot in the 1st game) didn't do much wrong, but is benched in favour of Scott fcuking Mckenna, Ryan Fraser hasn't played that often for his club, yet is brought on in front of Turnbull. Dykes is not up to it at this level & Adams looks like he has the touch of a mitre 5 being blootered off a brick wall, but Nisbett doesn't see much game time.

Different manager, same old "caps for favourites" style thinking unfortunately.

What was the quote attributed to Einstein re madness?
Hes 26

I have a bit more info on Turnbull to be fair due to my old man working at Motherwell when he was there. People are kidding themselves on if they dont think hes a top player.

People think it earns them staunch points if they try to convince themselves every Celtic player is pish

Turnbull should’ve been playing the No.8 position ahead of Armstrong

Turnbull and Patterson should have played every game and gave us every chance , but Clarke being what he is , an old fashioned weirdo. He cocked it up good and proper. You play your best players regardless if you want to give yourself the best chance of winning a game of football

People think it earns them staunch points if they try to convince themselves every Celtic player is pish

Turnbull should’ve been playing the No.8 position ahead of Armstrong
Turnbull doesn’t have the legs or the tactical nous to play as a number 8, especially in an international tournament. He’s does well for a poor Celtic as a 10, in pretty much a free role, in games they dominate the ball in and where they don’t really need to watch the defensive side of the game.

In games v us he’s been completely ineffectual in an attacking sense aside from his set piece delivery and has been terrible on the defensive side. See him ‘tracking’ Scott Arfield’s run at Ibrox in the lead up to Steven Davis’ overhead in the cup game. He also dropped a Dutch players run in the friendly he played for Scotland as an 8 and we lost a goal from it.

He’s a good player in certain circumstances but he could not play as an 8 v that Croatia midfield. A good coach would improve that side of his game as it’s badly lacking and the ‘other’ side of the game is something a modern midfielder needs. He wouldn’t get in the Rangers team without it for example.

Mixed feelings. On the one hand, he's ours and is going to nowhere else but the top of the game. On the other hand, he sat there watching for 262 minutes when he should have started from Day 1. All because Clarke didnt want to play the Rangers man.
I can't buy that narrative when Jack would have been a stick-on to start had he been fit.

Turnbull doesn’t have the legs or the tactical nous to play as a number 8, especially in an international tournament. He’s does well for a poor Celtic as a 10, in pretty much a free role, in games they dominate the ball in and where they don’t really need to watch the defensive side of the game.

In games v us he’s been completely ineffectual in an attacking sense aside from his set piece delivery and has been terrible on the defensive side. See him ‘tracking’ Scott Arfield’s run at Ibrox in the lead up to Steven Davis’ overhead in the cup game. He also dropped a Dutch players run in the friendly he played for Scotland as an 8 and we lost a goal from it.

He’s a good player in certain circumstances but he could not play as an 8 v that Croatia midfield. A good coach would improve that side of his game as it’s badly lacking and the ‘other’ side of the game is something a modern midfielder needs. He wouldn’t get in the Rangers team without it for example.

If he’s got 2 DMs behind him and 3 CBs who are picking up 1 guy, I’m pretty sure we could have afforded to have Turnbull in the middle of the park

It sums up the Scottish mentality that we’re more concerned about defensive shape than having someone who’s able to change the game offensively and create chances

It's a strange one, we finally produce a real talent from the youth team and he comes up against one of our best players and captain.

If we keep him as a sub short term its great as we have a great back up, but long term he doesn't keep developing.

Put him on loan, Tav gets injured and we're in trouble
Not all players need to go on loan to develop, some players are better off hanging around and learning from the guys in front of them whilst being used sporadically.

I think Patterson falls into this category.

IMO, the biggest part of his game he has to improve is his crossing - who better to learn from than Tav?.

He’s also too good to go out on loan like you alluded to, and would weaken us on the pitch and off it (using money for a stop gap).

I still think he’ll play about 20 games next season, he knows his time will come.

Spot on MV.

On the bright side if Patterson had played 3 games and shone (which he would have) we may well have been fending of sizable bids, every cloud and all that.

He has ability but cannot run, cannot do the dirty side of the midfield role and lacks the stamina required at the top level.
In your da's day he would've been described thus " not a 90min man".
Go and ask him..lol.

If he’s got 2 DMs behind him and 3 CBs who are picking up 1 guy, I’m pretty sure we could have afforded to have Turnbull in the middle of the park

It sums up the Scottish mentality that we’re more concerned about defensive shape than having someone who’s able to change the game offensively and create chances
If Turnbull played we’d needed to have changed the shape to a 4-2-3-1 and play him in the ‘hole’ - I wouldn’t have been against that btw, as I said he’s a good player.

Not for me as an 8 in a three though for the reasons I stated earlier. He’s a long way to go on that side of the game. Not sure he’ll ever be an 8 actually. As I said a good coach could get there into him but then again they’ve hired this Aussie guy who apparently doesn’t care about defending :))

If Turnbull played we’d needed to have changed the shape to a 4-2-3-1 and play him in the ‘hole’ - I wouldn’t have been against that btw, as I said he’s a good player.

Not for me as an 8 in a three though for the reasons I stated earlier. He’s a long way to go on that side of the game. Not sure he’ll ever be an 8 actually. As I said a good coach could get there into him but then again they’ve hired this Aussie guy who apparently doesn’t care about defending :))

Agree regarding 4231, think we have the players to play it but it would mean some of the team that get shoe-horned in wouldn’t be starters

Need to agree to disagree with the no.8 though, I honestly think he’s good enough to do it but maybe that’s me not fully understanding the need for 3 CMs and 3 CBs to have defensive duties

I could be wrong here but I don't see it. He's a good player at SPL level but I see him having a career at the level of Ryan Jack, albeit a different style of player.

I could be wrong here but I don't see it. He's a good player at SPL level but I see him having a career at the level of Ryan Jack, albeit a different style of player.
I’m not sure that he’s even going to manage that.

Someone like Norwich will offer Celtic £5/6m next summer and he’s going to spend his career in the championship.

The Czech line up was announced and there was 3 players most couldn't believe he didn't start.

Che Adams, brings him on HT and instantly shows that he should have started, sure not a world beater but miles better than what we have.

Billy Gilmour, starts second game and shows Clarke messed up the first game leaving him out, class player that should be an automatic starter when available.

Nathan Patterson, the only Right Wing Back in the squad, yet doesn't play. Instead we have SOD a Motherwell standard of a player who played like players that are Motherwell standard, shat the bed when playing in games we have a chance and had a decent game against the big boys. Nathan mamaged to show in 7 minutes why he should have been on the park from minute 1 game 1.

Back