Nathan Young Coombes to West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season is going to be a real litmus test for Gerrards ability to bring through young players. If Patterson doesn't see meaningful game time, then the excuses will have run out for Gerrard.

I know Nathan's family pretty well mate and he will be patient this season because he knows he's back up to the best right back in the country.

He's learning every day from him and will be ready if called upon.

He also knows if Tav continues to perform to the best of his ability, his game time will be limited, but he will get the odd chance when it's safe to do so.

That's the way it should be.

I have heard a few people, who know alot more our youth set up than I, saying that there was a bit of disappointment with how NYC was developing after a good start.
That's just the way it is with youth football, wish him all the best and really hope he kicks on with West Ham, always seems to play with a huge smile on his face, love to see it.

We have a number of youths who have contract extensions on the table and aren't signing them.

Somethings going on.

You will find the tournament they won will have got people watching them and offering in the background more than likely its a strange one though

If they had sense they would stay get loaned out get noticed and prob earn more there are a few exceptions that will make it with a big team like gilmour

Unless clubs are offering money in the background that is more than we can offer

I know Nathan's family pretty well mate and he will be patient this season because he knows he's back up to the best right back in the country.

He also knows if Tav continues to perform to the best of his ability, his game time will be limited, but he will get the odd chance when it's safe to do so.

We're talking about a sixty game season that's going to be so condensed we'll be playing two games a week minimum from Saturday until May.

It's not wise to play Tavernier for all of them, even if he has an absolutely outstanding season.

We're talking about a sixty game season that's going to be so condensed we'll be playing two games a week minimum from Saturday until May.

It's not wise to play Tavernier for all of them, even if he has an absolutely outstanding season.

Yep, there will be opportunities for him in lesser games mate.

He's been as good as told as much.

This season is going to be a real litmus test for Gerrards ability to bring through young players. If Patterson doesn't see meaningful game time, then the excuses will have run out for Gerrard.
Tavernier is club captain and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Patterson will allow rotation and rest time for Tav but don't expect much more than 10 appearances barring injury.

If Barjonas stays at the club, he is probably the one to use as a barometer.

I'm one of those who is still to be convinced that our youth/academy stuff is actually worth it.

For decades it has generally been a white elephant.

I keep being told that "things have changed and we will reap the benefits soon" etc.

Maybe one day it will come good, but I'm not holding my breath.
I know but it's not always about producing your own youth for example we get a few no matter now for a lot of these players up to the age of 23 if they are sold plus any free we make moving them on.

It is a bit like ca commodity business that x amount of hours training receives funding from associations and Government but also make money off of it.

Tavernier is club captain and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Patterson will allow rotation and rest time for Tav but don't expect much more than 10 appearances barring injury.

If Barjonas stays at the club, he is probably the one to use as a barometer.
Because of the condensed schedule, Tavernier is going to have to play *less* games than he usually does. Last year, Tav missed 8 games.

The absolute bare minimum Patterson should be looking at is 12, and it really should be closer to 16 if an active effort to integrate him into the squad is being made.

I also think that in the scenario if Tav was to leave or get a serious injury before 5th October, we would bring in a direct replacement. I'm not sure Patterson would become our first choice right back if that situation was ever to arise. And I mean no disrespect to the lad at all. I just think that's the reality.

Losing Tav to injury concerns me massively. Some fans will only maybe appreciate him whenever he is gone. He is like two players in one and his involvement in games is colossal.

I know but it's not always about producing your own youth for example we get a few no matter now for a lot of these players up to the age of 23 if they are sold plus any free we make moving them on.

It is a bit like ca commodity business that x amount of hours training receives funding from associations and Government but also make money off of it.
Yes, there is potential money to be made mate.

But the poor talent pool in Scotland means that these occasions are likely to be once in a blue moon.

Nailed it. If they aren’t good enough then get a fee for them. FWIW, NYC is 3 years atleast away from first team, he’s stalled and is yet to develop into a man.
Doesn’t help we have folk here giving it “ throw him in, can he not play” as recently as last week. When he’s 16 and built like the side of a fiver.
He will score goals for fun at youth level though and best of luck to him. I think he will be a Ryan Hardie type who never quite makes the jump to first team.
I wish him all the best though as he is a natural goal scorer and seems a level headed kid.

I've seem a number of them.

Hardie, Kane Hemmings, Archie Campbell, Max Wright, Callum Callacher.

All with heavy goal tallies at youth level and they never made it anywhere near us.

I wish him well too. He's certainly not lacking in confidence. It'll be interesting to keep tabs on him actually.

Best wishes to him

When was the last time we produced a forward from our youth who went on to have a successful career with us? I genuinely can’t think of one
Very few strikers come through at big clubs when you think about it ,Kane and Rashford in recent years are probably the only ones ,Very difficult these days when most teams play 1 up top ,puts a lot of pressure on managers and of course young players ,Most come through at smaller clubs even at lower levels

Heard he nearly went to Brighton in January. Been trying to get away for a while but has been injured and then lockdown.

I've seem a number of them.

Hardie, Kane Hemmings, Archie Campbell, Max Wright, Callum Callacher.

All with heavy goal tallies at youth level and they never made it anywhere near us.

I wish him well too. He's certainly not lacking in confidence. It'll be interesting to keep tabs on him actually.
He was the first one I properly remember because RTV came free with virgin for ages so as I kid I would watch all the reserve games. Feeling nostalgic now :))

Let’s be honest. He was never going to get a chance at Rangers.

I’m surprised that anyone is surprised we are losing yet another player.

Use them or lose them, and we keep losing them.

He's 17 and one of our best prospects, he can't have been that far away.

The news coming out of the academy hasn't been all that positive lately, with Kennedy and NYC leaving, plus Gerrards "ego" comments.

If it's homesickness, then it's nothing to worry about. But if it's the continuation of the Kennedy trend, then that's worrying.

I must have missed Patterson, Mayo, Barjonas and even McPake being involved in the friendlies.

It's not always the Club's fault.

Been saying this few times on here and it doesn't end at Coombes there's more on the way ,they don't see a pathway so are all wanting to try elsewhere where opportunities are given.
As I said in another post there seems to be a clear lack of patience. Having enjoyed seeing our youths do reasonably well very few look ready for the physical challenge of the SPL.
If you compare to the likes of Mason Mount Who was prepared to wait and go on numerous loans before getting his chance at Chelsea.

Another potential impact factor for this move could be how he felt during lockdown.

Being so young, away from family, being in a publicised vulnerable category group, must have been mentally horrendous for someone so young.

If he does go then good luck, I'd be surprised if he's critical of the club.
I would have thought he'd have been in London during lockdown

As I said in another post there seems to be a clear lack of patience. Having enjoyed seeing our youths do reasonably well very few look ready for the physical challenge of the SPL.
If you compare to the likes of Mason Mount Who was prepared to wait and go on numerous loans before getting his chance at Chelsea.
That’s just too much sense mate, should have been playing for the first team when he was 16 and 8 stone soaking wet. I’m not sure how some fans expect us to even give cameos to every academy product. It’s just not viable.

I must have missed Patterson, Mayo, Barjonas and even McPake being involved in the friendlies.

It's not always the Club's fault.
Not to mention our academy graduate Ross McCrorie who featured 30 times in Gerrard’s first season. The notion of throwing u18 players into the first team without any loan experience is baffling.

Last edited:
I would have thought he'd have been in London during lockdown
He was.

And it probably emphasised the fact that he wanted a move back to a southern club. He's ended up getting a great move to be honest. Will be far more settled there.

Even further from first team football, but he will be happier in himself and it is another stage in his development and career.

Good luck to him.

That was one young lad I thought would break into the first team squad but unfortunately not to be.

All the very best to you in the future NYC.

I know what you're saying and I've seen exactly the same in my own sport of elite athletics and triathlon.

I was one of the later developers who caught up with and overtook athletes who had developed and matured quicker than me through the earlier National age group squads.

NYC was beginning to get caught up and overtaken by our younger players and it was going to become difficult for him to hold his place in our development side.

It's a hard thing for a young kid to deal with.
There are 2 players a lot of folk here will have heard of who were tipped for the absolute top but just never got anywhere near it ,Freddy Edu and Islam Feruz, Huge difference in all sports in how boys develop into full grown men ,not just physically but mentally,Boys sports are 90pc ability 10pc mentality that tends to reverse when the boys become men and have to compete with adults

Some huge contradictions across threads on here. People whining about morelos now being unsettled due to the recent activity, an unhappy player isn't any good etc. This is a 17 year old boy. Sometimes the club doesn't suit the player and vice versa for whatever reason and whether it's development or a seasoned Pro, it sometimes just doesn't work. Do we really want a struggling 17 year old on our books, wasting his time, our time and potentially a way into his career? I hope he goes with good memories and makes the step into being a successful pro.

Not hard to wish a kid well, is it?

Like many 17 year olds, the next 2 or 3 years will determine if he is to go on and have a reasonable career in England or if he will be stacking shelves in Tesco whilst playing part time non-league football.

Happens all the time.

I, for one, hope he makes it and has a successful career.

Good luck son.

Like many 17 year olds, the next 2 or 3 years will determine if he is to go on and have a reasonable career in England or if he will be stacking shelves in Tesco whilst playing part time non-league football.

Happens all the time.

I, for one, hope he makes it and has a successful career.

Good luck son.
Crazy age for guys playing football ,Knew 2 guys who were from the same town ,same age ,1 was down at Nottingham Forest tipped for the top ,The other was working as a labourer and sitting on the bench of his local Sunday team ,5 years later they never quite swapped places ,the guy who was at Forest was on the bench for the Sunday team and the other guy was playing up front for St Mirren

Once a Ranger, always a Ranger.

All the best young man. Hope you go and make it in the EPL and end up landing us a huge sell-on fee.

Whilst disappointed to hear this, I’m not really surprised. He is only 17 and West Ham, if true, would be his 4th club - Crystal Palace and Chelsea before Rangers. I don’t know what lies behind it but 4 clubs in 4 years does not seem to be a good foundation for a successful career.

With the departure of NYC to West Ham, it again raises for me the question — exactly what function and purpose the Rangers Academy is supposed to play. In theory, I suppose, it is meant to serve as a conduit for the 'best-of-the-best' from the youth development squad to make it through to the first team, providing it with a regular influx of additional depth, and hopefully quality.

We realize, of course, that the number of young players who make it all the way will always be small, nevertheless, I've yet to be convinced that the Academy - as it currently exists - is serving its purpose for Rangers. Now there can be many reasons for why this is so, for e.g.. the constant pressure on a Rangers manager to 'win things' making it hard for them to take risks by introducing rookies into games, but I remain unpersuaded that the money used to fund and operate the Academy could not be better spent helping Rangers in other ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back