Netherlands Vs Scotland. Match Thread

From the highlights, I think it was a bit of unfair result but that’s what happens when you have clinical finishers through your team.
Although Gunn had a couple of great saves he didn’t cover himself in glory at a couple of the goals, Souttar had a bit of a night to forget and I still don’t but Into the McGinn superstar theory.
On the plus side I thought Gilmour, Patterson, McTominay and Christie played well.
Aye Souttar had a nightmare but McTominay missed a sitter of a header and lost Weghorst for his goal but was good apart from that. Gilmore and Patterson were good. On another night it could have been 5-3 to them

I wish folk would get over the whole hatred of Scotland thing. That kind of behaviour just lets the arseholes win.

No matter who fucked us over Scotland is still my country and these fuds won’t change that.

Add to that there are always going to be bluenoses who love playing for Scotland so I’ll still be supporting them too.

Weird is it? So everyone on a mentally challenged thread with hate for them is weird? I used to love following the national team but not anymore due to the fans being Rangers haters.
Yes, it's weird.

What's a mentally challenged thread got to do with a thread of the national team of our country?

Good for you if that's what you think, it's pish though.

So hahaha Scotland lost, the country you are from so some fannies are upset because they support a club team you dont?

Madness.
okay madness aye haha. I don’t follow the national team anymore, I don’t hate them though. I hate the Rangers hating support.
Not quite getting why that’s “madness.” Lol

okay madness aye haha. I don’t follow the national team anymore, I don’t hate them though. I hate the Rangers hating support.
Not quite getting why that’s “madness.” Lol
It's mad to give a single %^*& who others in the country support.

Do you think Germans go "we lost so get it right up the Bayern fans fuckers" Argentinians have the biggest rivalry in the world man, they seem to come together. How come Boca fans don't go "fucking hope they River plate loving Argentinian FA fucking lose, cuntos?" Italians dont boo the %^*& out of Buffon and Cannavaro when they lift the World Cup.

Bheast fans support Ireland the twisted weird fuckers, why a lot of our support want or take pleasure in Scotland losing is just as weird.

It's mad to give a single %^*& who others in the country support.

Do you think Germans go "we lost so get it right up the Bayern fans fuckers" Argentinians have the biggest rivalry in the world man, they seem to come together. How come Boca fans don't go "fucking hope they River plate loving Argentinian FA fucking lose, cuntos?" Italians dont boo the %^*& out of Buffon and Cannavaro when they lift the World Cup.

Bheast fans support Ireland the twisted weird fuckers, why a lot of our support want or take pleasure in Scotland losing is just as weird.
Think you're getting a bit too wound up about a nothing friendly.

A friendly before the Euros should be used to solidify your shape and tactics, but using players who are on the fringes, to see what they can do i.e Lewis Ferguson.
So why only give him 20 minutes?

And why bother selecting Craig Gordon, then not throwing him in to see if he's ready?

Strange, strange management.

A friendly before the Euros should be used to solidify your shape and tactics, but using players who are on the fringes, to see what they can do i.e Lewis Ferguson.
So why only give him 20 minutes?

And why bother selecting Craig Gordon, then not throwing him in to see if he's ready?

Strange, strange management.
That's what playing shiter teams next three games is for probably.

I wish folk would get over the whole hatred of Scotland thing. That kind of behaviour just lets the arseholes win.

No matter who fucked us over Scotland is still my country and these fuds won’t change that.

Add to that there are always going to be bluenoses who love playing for Scotland so I’ll still be supporting them too.
Don’t hate the national squad at all, to hate them would mean I’d need to have some connection or feeling towards them.
I feel absolutely nothing towards the Scotland side.

Not sure if you are fishing but that is a gross exaggeration.A career average of 1 goal every 2 games he would score plenty for us.
My only reservation is we wouldnt get any resale value if we signed him,but for 2 or 3 seasons he would be a great signing.
A goal average of 1 goal every two games, but most playing in the lower leagues. At Beerschot he did nothing of significance. He is having a good season this season, but that doesn't make him a Rangers striker. He did absolutely nothing tonight and the one chance he got, he blew it. I hope we can bring in better than Lawrence Shankland.

He’s a Hearts level defender. Always has been and always will be. Has at least one mistake in him every game he plays. Honest big defender but ultimately not good enough for us.
Did he make any mistakes for the goals tonight?

Honest question as did not see the game.

We'll look back one day at the insanity around Shankland the same way we're currently looking back at the erosion of liberties during COVID. Fucking madness.
That thread was honestly mental. Never in my life seen something like that over an SPL journeyman, never mind one the club had never even declared an interest in.

Don’t hate the national squad at all, to hate them would mean I’d need to have some connection or feeling towards them.
That’s a shame for the Rangers players who would jump at the chance to play for their country.

These guys could always do with more support.

I can’t help but get involved whenever Scotland play. Even when before the game starts I’m not too fussed but within a couple of minutes I’m right up for it.

If you don’t feel the same then fair enough. It’s the haters that I don’t understand because it’s counter productive to the bluenoses that play for Scotland. It’s cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Why would the manager, who got us to two championships when no other manager has managed to in 32 years prior to it be sacked if we don't get out the groups?

Dessers has missed a lot, lot easier chances btw in massive games, Shankland is a sub at best in a game that isn't a friendly.

Scotland have lost one competitive game in god knows how long. Losing in friendlies dont matter a jot. Especially when three of them are against Holland and France away and England at home. It's not as if we are getting turned over by Moldova.
With the amount of teams in it now and the backdoor route of the Nations League and play offs both Walter and Eck (first spell) would have had us there.

Weird is it? So everyone on a mentally challenged thread with hate for them is weird? I used to love following the national team but not anymore due to the fans being Rangers haters.
I'm a Scotland fan and love Rangers like tens of thousands of others. Support if you want to, don't if you don't.

Sadly there are more tramps than bluenoses playing for our nation these days and has been the case for the past 15-20 years.. I find it really hard to cheer on a team full of tramps and supporters of the tramps in a team. Each to their own if you can do it. Continue supporting the tramps if you wish so.

Calling people fuds and arseholes for having an opinion is a little bit over the top.

Tend to agree. There was a time I followed the Scotland team, but I’ve been sort of forced into an ambivalence I would never have predicted years ago.
I just can’t be arsed with the compulsory “Scots wha hae” antics.
The boring and tiresome “Wha’s like us, damn few and they’re a’ deid” mob just push me further away.
I’m not putting on my kilt, Caterpillar boots, a Glengarry with seagull feathers stuck in it and join in with that dreadful Corries durge before and throughout every game, just to feel part of “The Tartan Fucking Army” who by and large hate me and everything I believe in.
Not only that, I think there was maybe one player in the starting 11 who for what looks like financial reasons and self interest, choose not to live or play in Scotland.
That’s fine, but equally I can choose self interest to my wallet and family and be elsewhere when they’re playing.

4-0 flattered the Netherlands to say the least. But this is what will happen to Scotland against a lot of top sides due to having absolutely nothing up front. You can't rely on McTominay. He's had a purple patch this season and will get you goals if you get him in the box, but he's not exactly going to strike fear into the top sides. The defence is decent. The midfield very good. But the strikers are Championship quality or bottom end Premier League. If Scotland had Watkins, Toney or Solanke they would play every minute of every game. They just have no strength there whatsoever.

Tend to agree. There was a time I followed the Scotland team, but I’ve been sort of forced into an ambivalence I would never have predicted years ago.
I just can’t be arsed with the compulsory “Scots wha hae” antics.
The boring and tiresome “Wha’s like us, damn few and they’re a’ deid” mob just push me further away.
I’m not putting on my kilt, Caterpillar boots, a Glengarry with seagull feathers stuck in it and join in with that dreadful Corries durge before and throughout every game, just to feel part of “The Tartan Fucking Army” who by and large hate me and everything I believe in.
Not only that, I think there was maybe one player in the starting 11 who for what looks like financial reasons and self interest, choose not to live or play in Scotland.
That’s fine, but equally I can choose self interest to my wallet and family and be elsewhere when they’re playing.
Pretty much where I am too.

Like most boys growing up in the 60's for me supporting Scotland was almost as important as following Rangers.

As I grew up in the 70's attending Scotland matches was high on my priorities, suffering the agony of the 1974 World Cup, being at Anfield when Wales were beaten, I even managed to get to Wembley (lost 1-3) but what an experience.

Then the Sfa started their shite, Andy Roxburgh followed by Craig Brown and the subsequent treatment of Rangers and players by the national governing body.

Then we we were treated to the 'Tartan Army' booing Rangers players, and please let's not pretend this didn't happen, because of who they played for.

Spare me the rhetoric about Argentina, Italy and Germany, where club rivalry is put aside, they are not blinded by hatred for players of 1 particular club which is driven not only by certain fan groups but by a compliant media and a certain political party who despise everything our club and the majority of our fanbase stands for.

When I was an avid Scotland fan the majority followed Rangers as well, and club rivalries were put aside, that is not the case now.

I have no issue with our fans who follow Scotland, but please do not be surprised when some of us who feel no love for the SFA, their XI, or the 'Tartan Army' for a myriad of reasons fail to get a hard-on for a sporting collective that has no love or tolerance of Rangers FC.

Win or lose I'm not up nor down, the realisation hit me during WC 98, I just didn't care either way.

I don't get the gloating or celebrating Scotland defeats though, plenty of Rangers fans enjoy Scotland games and so they should.

It all went tits up when he subbed Shanksy off.

He was the glue that was holding the whole team together

Sadly there are more tramps than bluenoses playing for our nation these days and has been the case for the past 15-20 years.. I find it really hard to cheer on a team full of tramps and supporters of the tramps in a team. Each to their own if you can do it. Continue supporting the tramps if you wish so.

Calling people fuds and arseholes for having an opinion is a little bit over the top.
It’s called the national team. It represents the whole country. Souttar, Shankland, Gilmour, Patterson, Lewis Ferguson and Kenny McLean all playing tonight. A fit Ryan Jack would be in the team too. All bluenoses. Non tramps.

These guys would all no doubt say that it’s an honour to play for their country, so it’s a shame that for such a big part of their career they don’t get the support they deserve.

Surely if any of these guys felt the same they would boycott it? When was the last time you heard of a Rangers player that turned down playing for Scotland when he had the chance?

Again it’s like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

And btw I was calling the Rangers haters in the Scotland support arseholes and fuds.

Last edited:
That’s a shame for the Rangers players who would jump at the chance to play for their country.

These guys could always do with more support.

I can’t help but get involved whenever Scotland play. Even when before the game starts I’m not too fussed but within a couple of minutes I’m right up for it.

If you don’t feel the same then fair enough. It’s the haters that I don’t understand because it’s counter productive to the bluenoses that play for Scotland. It’s cutting off your nose to spite your face.
I don't think it's Scotland they hate, I think it's the fans of the other clubs who tried to kill us off they hate?

Fill your boots, and I genuinely hope you have great times supporting Scotland for many years to come but things have changed so much for some of us older bears. I for one will never rekindle my passion for the national team. As a young lad growing up in the great football days of the 70’s and then travelling to matches all over the place in the 80’s I was passionately following Rangers, Liverpool and Scotland and went to loads of games at Ibrox, Anfield and Hampden and had the great experience of being at the 1984 European Cup Final with Liverpool and the 1990 World Cup Finals with Scotland but sadly, I now have absolutely no allegiance whatsoever towards Liverpool or Scotland and for basically the same reason, the anti British, anti monarchy factions within their hordes is disgusting in my eyes. Only my opinion of course.

It’s called the national team. It represents the whole country. Souttar, Shankland, Gilmour, Patterson, Lewis Ferguson and Kenny McLean all playing tonight. A fit Ryan Jack would be in the team too. All bluenoses. Non tramps.

These guys would all no doubt say that it’s an honour to play for their country, so it’s a shame that for such a big part of their career they don’t get the support they deserve.

Surely if any of these guys felt the same they would boycott it? When was the last time you heard of a Rangers player that turned down playing for Scotland when he had the chance?

Again it’s like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

And btw I was calling the Rangers haters in the Scotland support arseholes and fuds.
These will be the same guys who’ll be ever so staunchly pulling their plonker to any England victory n’all.

Fill your boots, and I genuinely hope you have great times supporting Scotland for many years to come but things have changed so much for some of us older bears. I for one will never rekindle my passion for the national team. As a young lad growing up in the great football days of the 70’s and then travelling to matches all over the place in the 80’s I was passionately following Rangers, Liverpool and Scotland and went to loads of games at Ibrox, Anfield and Hampden and had the great experience of being at the 1984 European Cup Final with Liverpool and the 1990 World Cup Finals with Scotland but sadly, I now have absolutely no allegiance whatsoever towards Liverpool or Scotland and for basically the same reason, the anti British, anti monarchy factions within their hordes is disgusting in my eyes. Only my opinion of course.
I agree with you totally and if I cut my nose off to spite my face so what .

Switzerland & Hungary are not 3rd tier… Just like Peru and Iran weren’t. They both have players in top leagues.

Top tier - France , Brazil , England etc
Second teir - teams like Croatia who won’t win tournaments but always seem to do well at tournaments
Third teir- get to tournaments but are there to make up the numbers.

See all the guys saying they don’t watch or have any love for Scotland I have a hypothetical question. If I’m five years time the Scotland starting 11 had 8 or 9 rangers players would you watch or still hope they get beat or couldn’t care etc? I’m just interested I think their tune would quickly change

See all the guys saying they don’t watch or have any love for Scotland I have a hypothetical question. If I’m five years time the Scotland starting 11 had 8 or 9 rangers players would you watch or still hope they get beat or couldn’t care etc? I’m just interested I think their tune would quickly change

I doubt it. I've been on FF since it started and the national team threads have always been the same, even when there was quite a few Rangers players in the squads.

I thought Robertson passed the ball back more than Borna Barisic. McGinn frustrated me the most to be honest.
Plays well against the lower level opposition and everyone gets carried away by him. Plays against higher level opposition and he's nowhere to be seen.

In this scenario my only concern would be the increased risk of injuries to Rangers player
Particularly if Clarke was still the manager

Back