Open Goal Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferry also thinks Barisic gets found out in Europe. For someone who is clearly passionate about football he doesn't half come across as being completely out of touch with the modern game.
I wouldn't go as far to say he has been found out in Europe, but I do think there are times when he struggles defensively. Picks up silly bookings too by being caught out of position. Still think he's a very good player, but he has had issues in Europe.

Absolutely they played to their advantage with him being up against Balogun. However, I find it difficult to agree with the theme that Edouard is pish, he clearly isn't. He is their best player and it's ok to admit he had a decent game.
What you've said is the most insightful thing that would ever have been said on the podcast though.
Edouard is good as is Ajer and I hope they sell both rather than build around them, I'm not frightened to say it but you don't get the same respect back from Slaney, Ferry or Kyle

What you've said is the most insightful thing that would ever have been said on the podcast though.
Edouard is good as is Ajer and I hope they sell both rather than build around them, I'm not frightened to say it but you don't get the same respect back from Slaney, Ferry or Kyle
Si Ferry spends half his time on Open Goal/Go Radio talking about how good Morelos is. Don’t think I hear any other mentally challengeds saying that.

I know there are various views from Ferry being insufferable, to lining the pockets of Peter, but that aside, there are some fans of it on here.

I enjoyed Fod last week - thought he was very honest.

Up this week, Lambert.

Did I hear he was a Rangers fan as a kid?

First time I’ve listened at length to him. Surprised just how arrogant he is. (He’s won the Champions League, but felt like he now views himself as a great).

Interesting interview. Scottish guy abroad stuff was a decent listen.

He doesn’t think Rangers are mentally tough enough to win the league in the coming season.

Guess many of us harbour the same concerns. Hearing it from mentally challengeds makes the desire even greater though.
Is it just me or is the sound quality on open goal stuff sometimes really bad? A lot of the time I can't hear what they are laughing about. Especially that thing with Derek Ferguson, McAvennie and that guy who sits on the end doing unfunny stupid stuff.

Not biting.
Nah I’m being serious mate, I was 11 at the time and I remember hearing that.

Not saying it was true or anything by the way, I didn’t pay much attention to the politics at the club at the time.

Just merely confirming to that poster that I also heard that :))

Halfway through the Hutton interview very funny stories so far, the kidnapping story was mental then walter saying you ok son? Ok go warm up haha

Is it just me or is the sound quality on open goal stuff sometimes really bad? A lot of the time I can't hear what they are laughing about. Especially that thing with Derek Ferguson, McAvennie and that guy who sits on the end doing unfunny stupid stuff.
When mcavennie is on your better off with no sound

Is there no 'How the other half live' this week?' I see Halliday was pulled from SSB tonight so maybe they were unable to record one?

He’ll be in hiding after last night.

I read Ewan Cameron on Twitter ages ago having a go at Halliday for media duties while the club was underperforming. Completely ignoring the fact that Naismith was on Sportscene while they were languishing at the bottom of the table. He never played last night I don't think but surely the club can't change their policies on players doing media duties after they signed the contract?

Not sure why I even bother with Open Goal after Old Firm games. It's essentially an inquest into what Celtic got wrong and how they can improve. Nothing between the teams now according to Slaney.

Turned it off after Ferry's "why do clubs always hire 'geeks' as Director of Football? Why not a Martin O'Neill type?" point. Brain damage in the extreme, even for OG.

Not sure why I even bother with Open Goal after Old Firm games. It's essentially an inquest into what Celtic got wrong and how they can improve. Nothing between the teams now according to Slaney.

Turned it off after Ferry's "why do clubs always hire 'geeks' as Director of Football? Why not a Martin O'Neill type?" point. Brain damage in the extreme, even for OG.
Some progressive German fella who has worked at Leipzig or Martin O’Neill who’s scout criteria would be ‘6’4+ and kick it long’.

I read Ewan Cameron on Twitter ages ago having a go at Halliday for media duties while the club was underperforming. Completely ignoring the fact that Naismith was on Sportscene while they were languishing at the bottom of the table. He never played last night I don't think but surely the club can't change their policies on players doing media duties after they signed the contract?
Naismith has done Sportscene this season and he also does the Plzsoccer some days I think. Craig Gordon has also done Sportscene a few times this season so it’s not just Halliday that’s doing media just now.

It was that insufferable, miserable, greetin' faced wank Ewan Murray.

This is why I've never watched or listened to this nonsense. I get it's supposed to be just some people talking about football, but the level of knowledge and common sense is brain damage level.

That O'Neil comment sums it up, the guy has been a failure at early every club he's been at since Villa, is a total football dinosaur.

Compare that to the tactics show on H&H with Adam and Ally who is iirc an actual football coach with knowledge, it's night and day.

This is why I've never watched or listened to this nonsense. I get it's supposed to be just some people talking about football, but the level of knowledge and common sense is brain damage level.

That O'Neil comment sums it up, the guy has been a failure at early every club he's been at since Villa, is a total football dinosaur.

Compare that to the tactics show on H&H with Adam and Ally who is iirc an actual football coach with knowledge, it's night and day.

I think you nailed it there though, it’s not meant to replicate an in-depth tactical analysis.

It is akin to lads on the bus or in the pub chatting football. 80% of people at Ibrox have no idea about the true tactical side of the game. It will be the same at other clubs.

This just plays to the wider audience who like a football fix and some lighthearted banter.

I think you nailed it there though, it’s not meant to replicate an in-depth tactical analysis.

It is akin to lads on the bus or in the pub chatting football. 80% of people at Ibrox have no idea about the true tactical side of the game. It will be the same at other clubs.

This just plays to the wider audience who like a football fix and some lighthearted banter.
Just look at the Hagi thread for how opinions differ on football.

Got some saying 9 mil bite your hand off hes average and some saying hes going to be a superstar, no less than 20 mil

Just look at the Hagi thread for how opinions differ on football.

Got some saying 9 mil bite your hand off hes average and some saying hes going to be a superstar, no less than 20 mil

We have lads who go every week and wouldn’t know what formation we play.

It’s a bit mental to me, but also aware, vast majority don’t give a shit about that. They want a win and the striker to score 5.

hardly Andys fault they lost during the week - the guy was suspended lol

for what its worth I like open goal - so much so i am going to the live show if it ever happens - as much as Si Ferry is a Celtic fan in the main he comes across well (he does the go radio football show with Barry Ferguson) and again doesnt come across like a clown and fairly reasonably questions why celtic are a shambles.

Ferry coaches Peterhead's first team.

Misread.

Last edited:

I get that, but if you come up stuff like that O'Neil comment, you'd get told to get off the bus :D

With all due respect, you're trying to compare O'Neill, regardless what you think of him to two complete randoms who do a Rangers podcast. Think we all know who has more football knowledge.
I'm I? I'm laughing at the standard of knowledge, "why do geeks get the director of football instead of O'Neil" Surely you just have to look at successful clubs with a director of football and count how many are 70 year olds who haven't been successful in club football for nearly a decade.

Football has moved on dramatically and clubs are using statistical analysis more and more to find players.

I get it, it's supposed to just chat between a few mates about football like in the pub or going to a game on the bus but it's brain damage stuff.

I'm I? I'm laughing at the standard of knowledge, "why do geeks get the director of football instead of O'Neil" Surely you just have to look at successful clubs with a director of football and count how many are 70 year olds who haven't been successful in club football for nearly a decade.

Football has moved on dramatically and clubs are using statistical analysis more and more to find players.

I get it, it's supposed to just chat between a few mates about football like in the pub or going to a game on the bus but it's brain damage stuff.
Read that bit wrong then.

I'd imagine someone like Ferry coaching at Peterhead and having played professional most of his career still has more knowledge to whoever you're on about though.

They used the example of Ruminigee at Bayern Munich. Bayern are one of the best run teams in the world.

They did say that a football person should be at the helm but you would need to supplement that with all the techy / analysis guys.

Read that bit wrong then.

I'd imagine someone like Ferry coaching at Peterhead and having played professional most of his career still has more knowledge to whoever you're on about though.
Ferry made the point according to the poster above. Someone in the game made that comment.

I think he went on to build that out though, teams like Bayern and Ajax picking football men for the roles.

Horses for courses. In some clubs, the ‘geek’ will be prefect. Others, they need to football guy as the link.

I think he went on to build that out though, teams like Bayern and Ajax picking football men for the roles.

Horses for courses. In some clubs, the ‘geek’ will be prefect. Others, they need to football guy as the link.
It’s probably the case that van der Sar, Rumminegge etc ARE geeks who just happened to be good at football also so are perfect for the roles they have. Polar opposite types to MON who is a dinosaur in footballing terms and has been for over a decade. The point Ferry made was a load of pish.

They used the example of Ruminigee at Bayern Munich. Bayern are one of the best run teams in the world.

They did say that a football person should be at the helm but you would need to supplement that with all the techy / analysis guys.

I don't believe a football person has to be the helm, Ross Wilson has never kicked a professional ball and we're doing better than we ever have with transfers.

I don't think Bayern is a good example either to be honest. They have that much financial muscle they can be bad and still walk the league.

A still think it’s mad how they’ve managed to sell out the hydro, what they going to do have slaney come of a wire down from the ceiling like Owen hart have big Kev Kyle in a guerrilla cage for 2 hour, fair play for finessing it and getting folk to pay 30 quid a ticket lol

Noticed recently anyone who hasn’t played or has the capability to work a laptop is a ‘geek’

Dinosaur attitude

I enjoy the podcast at times but Si’s views on the modern game are backwards with his attitude. He constantly contradicts himself on the different podcasts and radio shows he does. With that being said, what do we expect in all honestly as it is not really a serious football podcast, I suppose it fills the purpose of it.

You are taking the podcast way too seriously.

I watch it most weeks because it is light hearted. I rarely come away thinking I have gained some insight into anything. I like it for it's off the cuffness. Theres a million podcasts out there with geeks discussing analytical stuff surrounding football. This isn't that and that is why I like it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back