** Partick v Rangers - Match Thread - BT Sports **

Was meaning a back 4 and 2 defensive midfielders. We already seen vs Progres that it stifled us going forward playing Jack and Rossiter together

Tav/Wallace are "wingers" as much as they are defenders. Prob a 50:50 split of duties in all honesty. Given the type of players they are, it's more of a reason to be tougher in the midfield to allow them to bomb up the pitch.

Dorrans is an attacking midfielder.

The front three are attacking players.

Jack is a midfielder as is Rossiter albeit the latter is more defensive minded.

I wouldn't read to much into the game vs progres. It was nothing other than a freak shambles.

However, I recon a previous poster called it spot on and Windass in for Niko will be the only change. Pena is nowhere near ready to start a match and Pedro pretty much said that yesterday.

Tav/Wallace are "wingers" as much as they are defenders. Prob a 50:50 split of duties in all honesty. Given the type of players they are, it's more of a reason to be tougher in the midfield to allow them to bomb up the pitch.

Dorrans is an attacking midfielder.

The front three are attacking players.

Jack is a midfielder as is Rossiter albeit the latter is more defensive minded.

I wouldn't read to much into the game vs progres. It was nothing other than a freak shambles.

However, I recon a previous poster called it spot on and Windass in for Niko will be the only change. Pena is nowhere near ready to start a match and Pedro pretty much said that yesterday.
Just don't think we should be starting 2 defensive minded midfielders against a team like Partick, I do think Windass will come in but I'm not sure about Pena still think Miller will start because Pedro doesn't seem to want to drop him no matter how bad he is. Persistently starting Miller is going to end up costing Pedro his job.

Just don't think we should be starting 2 defensive minded midfielders against a team like Partick, I do think Windass will come in but I'm not sure about Pena still think Miller will start because Pedro doesn't seem to want to drop him no matter how bad he is. Persistently starting Miller is going to end up costing Pedro his job.

We've already been playing two central midfielders who have instructions to sit deep.
And it's affecting Dorrans' natural game IMO. i.e. We can and should be getting more out of him higher up the pitch.

Bringing in Rossiter to allow Dorrans to revert to his natural game and push into the final third isn't being any more defensive than we already are.

Either way it's the result that matters.

Quietly confident we'll get the three points but it won't be as easy as thistle's position in the league would suggest.

Trickier fixture than Dundee at home but perhaps on a par with Ross County (A).

Expecting rather than hoping for a victory but will still need to play a a good level for the win.

Partick 1 Rangers 3

3-0 Gers Morelos Jack and Candeias.

Buzzing to go to this one, didn't do any away games last year so really looking forward to this.

I'm expecting a change of system, I just hope that it's not a case of Miller dropping back into midfield and playing ahead of Pena or Dorrans in that position.

I'd like to see a convincing win with more game time to those who really need it, and at least 1 more goal for Alfredo

Out to the pub on Friday night for this since i cancelled BT Sport.

Hoping for a positive performance and result. Pena and Herrera getting more game time would also not go amiss.

Can't wait for this, 3 points is all that matters, but what a start to the weekend it'll be if we play well and score a good few. Ultimately, all we really need to keep the wins, confidence and momentun building.

That midfield is ridiculously defensive, 6 defenders vs Partick thistle isn't needed.
We should be preparing for the mentally challengeds next week by starting Rossiter and playing 4-2-3-1. We need Rossiter up to match sharpness over the next 2 games

We should be preparing for the mentally challengeds next week by starting Rossiter and playing 4-2-3-1. We need Rossiter up to match sharpness over the next 2 games

Ideally yes, but it's a totally different type of game and we need to pick the team most likely to win it.

We cannot afford to drop any points.

I can't see how starting Rossiter and allowing Dorrans to move forward effects our chances of beating Thistle tbh

Agreed mate. In the next month or so (games at home vs Celtic and Aberdeen, plus games away to St Johnstone and Hearts) I would argue that Rossiter will be as an important player for us as Pena would.... if not more important.

We need to get Rossiter game time, equally as much as Pena.

Ideally yes, but it's a totally different type of game and we need to pick the team most likely to win it.

We cannot afford to drop any points.

We'd effectively be replacing Miller (a deep lying forward/attacking midfielder based on current displays) with Dorrans, and replacing Dorrans' previous position (deep lying midfielder) with Rossiter.

It's certainly not weakening the team and not exactly being any more defensive that what we currently are.

First lets win
Second try and score as many as we can
Third anything equal to 4 clear goals or above we go top
Fourth Stand back and admire timplosion

We should be preparing for the mentally challengeds after we play these next 2 games, what's the point of potentially dropping points in this game because we were looking too far ahead to a harder game. Focus on getting past Partick then the poets.

We'd effectively be replacing Miller (a deep lying forward/attacking midfielder based on current displays) with Dorrans, and replacing Dorrans' previous position (deep lying midfielder) with Rossiter.

It's certainly not weakening the team and not exactly being any more defensive that what we currently are.
I'm not convinced moving Dorrans further forward would get more out if him tbh, he's been okay since he got here apart from the Motherwell and Hibs games and I don't think that's gonna change. He's a 7/10 player every week in the position he's in and that's fine for me.

I'm not convinced moving Dorrans further forward would get more out if him tbh, he's been okay since he got here apart from the Motherwell and Hibs games and I don't think that's gonna change. He's a 7/10 player every week in the position he's in and that's fine for me.

I'm not saying he's been poor. Far from it. He's been reliable in that position.

However, he can be used far more effectively to the benefit of the team. Dorrans himself has already said he's not playing in his natural position.

We should be preparing for the mentally challengeds after we play these next 2 games, what's the point of potentially dropping points in this game because we were looking too far ahead to a harder game. Focus on getting past Partick then the poets.
Dropping Miller for Rossiter in no way shape or form makes us beating Thistle less likely and at the same time prepares us for next week. Windass in for Kranjcar and that should be our team for Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

I'm not saying he's been poor. Far from it. He's been reliable in that position.

However, he can be used far more effectively to the benefit of the team. Dorrans himself has already said he's not playing in his natural position.
He played in that position for Norwich last season and I think it's the best position for him, allows him to build attacks and use his passing range. I'd rather see him and Jack continue to build their partnership in the centre of midfield and have Pena in front of them or a front two of Herrer and Morelos.

Dropping Miller for Rossiter in no way shape or form makes us beating Thistle less likely and at the same time prepares us for next week. Windass in for Kranjcar and that should be our team for Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and St Johnstone.
We don't need 2 defensive midfielders against Partick Thistle, stop talking about looking ahead to the poets game like playing a 5 man midfield against Partick will change anything in that game, Pedro has said he will take it one game at a time as we should.

We don't need 2 defensive midfielders against Partick Thistle, stop talking about looking ahead to the poets game like playing a 5 man midfield against Partick will change anything in that game, Pedro has said he will take it one game at a time as we should.
We already play with 2 deep lying midfielders.

He played in that position for Norwich last season and I think it's the best position for him, allows him to build attacks and use his passing range. I'd rather see him and Jack continue to build their partnership in the centre of midfield and have Pena in front of them or a front two of Herrer and Morelos.

You better tell the man himself that it's his best position then.

A poster on here said Dorrans playing deeper had affected his form negatively,info. was pulled from the Norwich fans' site iirc.

If that the case, why are you happy to continue with both Dorrans and Jack as two holding midfielders?

We currently play with Dorrans and jack deep, and Miller in the hole. How's that any different (or worse?) to jack and Rossiter being the holding players and Dorrans in the hole?

I think Miller was poor on Saturday, but not sure I'd fancy Dorrans in the advanced role mate.

I've not been overly impressed with him so far, though I do think he will prove to be an excellent signing.

Right

Be prepared for Kenny to start v the mentally challengeds mate.

I think it's inevitable.

I think Miller was poor on Saturday, but not sure I'd fancy Dorrans in the advanced role mate.

I've not been overly impressed with him so far, though I do think he will prove to be an excellent signing.

Right

Be prepared for Kenny to start v the mentally challengeds mate.

I think it's inevitable
I fear you are right mate, however if we play 4-4-2 against them and give their midfield the space we did last time then its a disgrace.

Anyway back on topic, fancy us 3-0 tomorrow night.

Perhaps you've came to that conclusion of Dorrans because he's not playing in his natural position. His natural position is further forward. Maybe in his natural position he will be more effective?

Personally I think he's been steady, but admit he's not exactly been tested. He could be used far more effectively to the benefit of the team IMO.

Perhaps you've came to that conclusion of Dorrans because he's not playing in his natural position. His natural position is further forward. Maybe in his natural position he will be more effective?

Personally I think he's been steady, but admit he's not exactly been tested. He could be used far more effectively to the benefit of the team IMO.
Spot on and Rossiter allows him to do this.

From what I seen against Progres they can't and yes I know it was early in the season but still no excuse

From what we all seen against Progres, we're facing a relegation fight this season!

Quite ridiculous way to view things though.

Anyway, I fancy us to beat Partick 2-0.

A Dorrans double, with two assists from Rossiter's forward passes. :cool:

Back