Potential GVB Management Team

Probably 2+2=5 but if GVB gets the job i have a feeling he might consider Derek McInnes as his assistant seeing they played together
Not sure about assistant- I think that tends to be a confidante of the manager who acts as a chief of staff.

I could see McInnes on the coaching team though. I think he’s got 3 attributes he brings to the table:

1/ intimate knowledge of the league and players. It’s unrealistic to think GVB has been watching many spfl games in the past 20 years

2/ set piece focus. Did his Aberdeen side ever score in open play?

3/ defensive organisation. There’s a reason why a team with the cutting edge of a sphere were still consistently top 2 or 3 during his tenure

He would fit the Culshaw role (in a more scaredy cat way) if GVB delegated responsibility like Gerrard

Not sure about assistant- I think that tends to be a confidante of the manager who acts as a chief of staff.

I could see McInnes on the coaching team though. I think he’s got 3 attributes he brings to the table:

1/ intimate knowledge of the league and players. It’s unrealistic to think GVB has been watching many spfl games in the past 20 years

2/ set piece focus. Did his Aberdeen side ever score in open play?

3/ defensive organisation. There’s a reason why a team with the cutting edge of a sphere were still consistently top 2 or 3 during his tenure

He would fit the Culshaw role (in a more scaredy cat way) if GVB delegated responsibility like Gerrard
His ego probably couldnt hack not being the face of it.

Won’t JD be the coach that knows the league. Can’t see KT leaving Kelly to be a coach. He needs experience being his own man to get the no. 1 job. One experience he’ll get by being his own manager is the experience of buying and selling players.

If we were looking at a locally based coach to add to the team I'd suggest Kenny Miller.
Was a teammate of GVB and a few of the current team and has some experience in coaching now. Have liked what I have heard from him with regards to how the game should be played.

I lnow a few guys, that might sell illegal stuff folk chuck up their nose.

Every other month theres pictures of house parties with the bold Kenny front and centre

No thanks

Edit: to add, what a sad list of ex players folk want as his assistant

Ive said it before, but we should be looking for the best coaches we can bring in…. Not someone who talks well and knows scottish football!

This isnt 1999, we have analysts for thst shit

Last edited:
All I will say is that out with SG and GMc, I hadn’t heard of any of our coaches etc before. I want our new manager to have the most qualified staff in all areas. I don’t want a Barry Ferguson or Neil McCann anywhere near our new set up. Neither have done a single thing post-playing career to even suggest they’d be up to it.

I would really like to see Kevin Thomson as number 2.

When on commentary he's calling for subs at the right time instead of 15 minutes to late. He identify's what area of the pitch we should target pretty well to.

Just think he would do well, but might want to gain experience as the main man in his new job. If he hadn't left I would of rather given him a pop as interim until someone came in, instead of the likes of Murty again.

If GVB is the man I hope he appoints Davidson from st Johnstone onto his team this guy could be groomed to be a future manager
Why would Davidson want to be an assistant again after giving up that role at Millwall to take the St Johnstone job? Never going to happen same with Kevin Thomson he wants to be a manager as well and wants to be Rangers manager in the future it's why he left to go to Kelty. If Thomson had more experience then it wouldn't have surprised me if Wilson approached him as he rates him very highly.

Beale would have been ideal to stick around as a coach for the next manager but let him bring in his own team. We have an unhealthy obsession of wanting to bring ex players back as coaches just because they played for the club. Guys like Mccann talk a good game but put them in the dugout and they struggle badly.

Spoke to a Dutch friend this morning who says van Gastel will join him according to reports from Holland.
She also said his agent is still waiting on official contact from Rangers.

Right, I’m getting the serious fear here.

We had a manager called Gerrard, then some folk were suggesting a guy called Sean should replace him and now there are rumours that we might get a new coach named John Paul….

As I have acknowledged before, these are enlightened times but this is just too, too much now.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Wouters is a coach at Fortuna Sittard so he definitely is still working, possibly might go for him considering his experience here.

Spoke to a Dutch friend this morning who says van Gastel will join him according to reports from Holland.
She also said his agent is still waiting on official contact from Rangers.

If Rangers haven’t yet spoken to Gio’s agent then that is a bit concerning.

I’m think of the last time Stuart Robertson and Graeme Park went out manager shopping together

:oops:

If Rangers haven’t yet spoken to Gio’s agent then that is a bit concerning.

I’m think of the last time Stuart Robertson and Graeme Park went out manager shopping together

:oops:
I am sure we will have made contact and I believe the agent has told the press over there that we haven't, standard agent bulls-hit.

What is the fascination with wanting ex players "who know the game" as assistants or coaches, no i want the best people for the job not fucking Kenny Miller. Get that man and his leaky fucking mouth as far from this club as possible.

If its GVB i hope he brings in all his own staff like gerrard done, Bar the lads who are already at auchenhowie an didnt leave with Gerrard of which there are a couple.

If he's only known about this opportunity since the weekend has he had time to get a team together having been out of the coaching game for a year or two?

Will he be happy to work with a Neil McCann or a Kevin Thomson
Would love to see Kevin Thompson in the coaching team again as soon as possible from a succession planning point of view.

If we were looking at a locally based coach to add to the team I'd suggest Kenny Miller.
Was a teammate of GVB and a few of the current team and has some experience in coaching now. Have liked what I have heard from him with regards to how the game should be played.
If we want every breath uttered in the dressing room put out to the press then that would be magnificent appointment.

Both Numan and Mols had pictures of Gio and both them on twitter with the headline "The three amigos". Make of that what you will.

McLeish was on Sportsound there and he doesn't think Wouters will be coming. He had sent him a text asking if we'll be seeing him back in Scotland soon.

Anyone aware on the immigration rules for EU workers entering the UK following Brexit.

I know everything is easy for 6 months and vice versa, but for long term employment could this lead to an initial delay, as we have seen previously with non EU players?
Didn’t take the bheasts long to sort out paperwork for Flangela.

This is getting dangerously close to the same fanfair that followed Pedro; "aw naw, he's no fae Scotland, he'll no understand the league!". Weird xenophobic pish that only assists the media in starting their anti-Scottish manager shite.

If Diego Simeone came in tomorrow with his Atletico team, would you be thrusting Barry Ferguson onto him and telling him he'd be a valuable member of his staff because he knows which clubs are going to play 10 behind the ball (10 of them) and which are going to play for set pieces and try to nick a draw (10 of them)?

If Conte came in with a busload of his own coaches, would you be taking Kenny Miller to his word that he's been going to Italian lessons?

Gerrard didn't need a local coach. Gary Mac knew less about the current SPL than anyone. But we have analysts, and we have senior players like Arfield, Davis, McGregor, Defoe and our captain to help fill in the gaps. Plus an entire team that went a full season unbeaten who are still there. But aw no, Keith Jackson says the Scottish league is so unique and nae foreigners can understand it because it's so complex the way that teams play

His team at Feyenoord was Jean-Paul van Gastel, Jan Wouters, Roy Makaay and Khalid Benlahsen.

Wouters left before the final season and was replaced by Denny Landzaat.
Off topic but Roy Mackaay would have been an amazing signing in Advoccats era.

He would have been the £10m striker Murray wanted and scored loads.

Just think, if it transpires to be GVB and Numan, etc then we have gained legendary ex players who drove standards back then, and especially in Arthur’s case became embedded in our culture.

This honestly if it plays out as it looks, could become a real corner turned. The apathy of SGs last few months, evaporated.

Just hope it doesn’t fall through.

I’d ask Callum Davidson to be his asst. Clearly a good manager and would help GVB adapt back in to Scottish game.

Might knock us back as wants to keep his own gig but he’d get:

More money
European exposure
Shoo-in for big job if all goes well

Worth enquiring I think.
I presume they have never met each other and you’re suggesting they attempt to become close working partners ? Completely and utterly bonkers .

Back