Proposal for a railway station at Ibrox

There is no way the government or council has money to pish away on something like this. At least we have the subway. Hampden and legoland have crap transport links.

Aye right wasn't there a another platform that was used for us on football specials?
no, the football specials ran from various 'local' stations to the Ibrox station that you see on the map i posted. i will look for a british rail poster i have somewhere and put it on.

Ibrox%2C_Paisley_%26_Rothesay_Dock%28Yoker%29_RJD_57.jpg

To put this map in context, you can see how the short branch line to Princes Dock ran behind the stadium here:

1622yqf.jpg

close up of your pic
a7Lry2f.jpg
Cheers, that answers my question about where specifically on the line Ibrox station was.

In reality, Murray should have been agitating for this for years when he had the club as part of a wider effort to improve the area around the stadium, attract more commercial interest to the area generally and be proactive about community engagement. Instead he wanted photo-ops with big name signings and to use Rangers to pad out his other business portfolio with contracts.

The QEUH is pretty far away from where this would be and Cardonald station (on the same line) is already closer). The best line of argument would be relieving traffic on the roads at peak times and getting people off the roads - this argument kind of falls flat with the subway being so close though. Even the BBC and STV sites are closer to Kinning Park subway.

there is one thing, the pic below shows football specials to the 3 games. our trains, one shows return from Ibrox (edmiston drive) the other just Ibrox. they could be one in the same, or was there a station before the line reached the terminus at govan.

sNi3QXl.jpg

There is no way the government or council has money to pish away on something like this. At least we have the subway. Hampden and legoland have crap transport links.
They have Dalmarnock, Bridgeton, Duke Street and Bellgrove all within easy reach of the piggery.
There's Crosshill, Mount Florida and Cathcart that I can think of for Hampden.
They have plenty of buses and are both served by the M74 extension.

Hampden has 2 stations and a main bus route, hardly crap.

Hampden has 2 stations and a main bus route, hardly crap.

Also the glitterdome has 2 train stations easily within walking distance and is near what is probably one of the busiest bus routes of the city in Parkhead Cross.

People always say public transport is crap to football games and don't actually know what is available apparently.

Can I ask why it was closed in the first place?

The Beeching cuts in the 60's

We lost huge amount of railway track and huge numbers of stations back then. One town local to me lost 2 stations, three railway lines in and out from different directions, and is now completely cut off from the rest of the world except by car and a pretty poor bus service

there is one thing, the pic below shows football specials to the 3 games. our trains, one shows return from Ibrox (edmiston drive) the other just Ibrox. they could be one in the same, or was there a station before the line reached the terminus at govan.

sNi3QXl.jpg

How did the Glesga Polis cope that day?

If it halved the load on the subway I would be more inclined to use it, 30 minutes or less as opposed to 50-60 minutes wait if you stay until the end of a game

The line the Ibrox Station was on only went docks on the Clyde

The line went behind the Sandy Jardine Stand and most people still walk on the route of it on a matchday down towards Copland Road and out to where the buses park on Carmichael Street

Any new station will be on the Glasgow to Paisley line
The line Ibrox Station was on was the west coast line to Girvan. The lie behind Ibrox Stadium went to the docks and looped round past the wee club to join at Ibrox Station situated at Broomloan Road PRW.You can still see where the line where the dock line ran under the bridge on Edmiston Drive at the wee club.I remember walking to Ibrox Station from Ibrox primary school for school outings mostly to Girvan in the mid 1960s.

Scotrail do unscheduled stops at Bellgrove to pickup the hoards at fulltime, so they have plenty of routes out of their hovel. No need for an additional stop at Parkhead Forge.

The line Ibrox Station was on was the west coast line to Girvan. The lie behind Ibrox Stadium went to the docks and looped round past the wee club to join at Ibrox Station situated at Broomloan Road PRW.You can still see where the line where the dock line ran under the bridge on Edmiston Drive at the wee club.I remember walking to Ibrox Station from Ibrox primary school for school outings mostly to Girvan in the mid 1960s.

the other bridges are also visible across from the masonic lodge where a wee car park is. also another 50yds or so on copeland rd and carry on to the junction at brand st

the other bridges are also visible across from the masonic lodge where a wee car park is. also another 50yds or so on copeland rd and carry on to the junction at brand st
Yes they are.Used to till with rain water at stadium bar(the Louden) and some maddies used to float on home made rafts in the manky water.These were the days:)

No way would 20,000 travel by train.

Re-building a station at Ibrox makes sense. However, the main issue would be disruption to the current timetable and railway operators would want to keep the Glasgow-Paisley line as fast and free-flowing as possible.

This is true Deedle but there is land that was once a spur to this line and it runs behind the Albion car park. It is still unused and would be relatively inexpensive to develop. Trains stopping at an Ibrox mainline station I surmise would be the Glasgow-Wemyess Bay/Gourock line that already stop at Cardonald and both Hillington stations. I suspect that it will not be logistical reasons that will cause this plan to fall, but ideological reasons.:rolleyes: Hey! This is Glasgow.

PS I'm old enough to remember the old station and the cafe at the stop of the steps.

This is true Deedle but there is land that was once a spur to this line and it runs behind the Albion car park. It is still unused and would be relatively inexpensive to develop. Trains stopping at an Ibrox mainline station I surmise would be the Glasgow-Wemyess Bay/Gourock line that already stop at Cardonald and both Hillington stations. I suspect that it will not be logistical reasons that will cause this plan to fall, but ideological reasons.:rolleyes: Hey! This is Glasgow.

PS I'm old enough to remember the old station and the cafe at the stop of the steps.
This part of the line has been filled in.

It’s behind the petrol station at corner of PRW and Broomloan road. Would be great for Renfrewshire, inverclyde and north Ayrshire bears.

You would need 2 platforms and then a bridge going across so it would still be costly. Would probably only be a limited use station as to use it regularly would slow the current service down too much.

Don’t really get the argument for use with QEH - still a trek from there.

Yeah the next station West is the existing Cardonald one right at the hospital. Is also a bit crammed in the area of the old former station. There wasn' t a motorway then

They, being Labour.
The Labour government completed a process the Tories started:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeching_cuts

I can kind of see the logic, people wont need trains as much now cars are becoming more popular, which was probably why it had cross party support.

Though the fact the Tory minister that commissioned the Beechings report had lots of shares in a road company seems like a bit of conflict of interest!

The Labour government completed a process the Tories started:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeching_cuts

Though the fact the Tory minister that commissioned the Beechings report had lots of shares in a road company seems like a bit of conflict of interest!

Marples (the Tory minister) was a wrong 'un. He did a runner to France to avoid unpaid taxes. The rumour is that Marples and Beeching were related by marriage through their respective wives.

It would make perfect sense and help out the local community too, especially with the hundreds of houses they are building right across the road and at Ibroxholm Avenue. Anything that can help people get to and from Ibrox quicker is a good thing and I hope it gets the go ahead

Too right! If I want to get the train, I either have to go to Dumbreck, walk to exhibition centre, or take the subway to to Partick. A station at Ibrox would be really convenient especially if I'm taking my 16mth old daughter into town...

Is there anything remaining of the old station? Was it just left to disappear under weeds or has it been partially/fully demolished?

Too right! If I want to get the train, I either have to go to Dumbreck, walk to exhibition centre, or take the subway to to Partick. A station at Ibrox would be really convenient especially if I'm taking my 16mth old daughter into town...

Yeah there is very limited train options. Stayed in Cessnock for 6 years. Was ok for me because I was on the subway line but any further towards Paisley and you only have the option of a bus

Back