Rangers open talks with Defoe

Not for me.
A sign the management team don't really rate Itten.
Agreed on both counts. Defoe could still do a job to some extent, but misty-eyed romanticism aside, let’s say he’s even on £15k a week, I’d rather put that towards getting in an option like Nisbet who has time on his side.

Certainly benefits if he’s a player coach. Will definitely sway young potential players knowing they’ll be coached by him. Imagine your boy is talking about signing and JD turns up at your door.

Has there been a decision on how many subs allowed next season. If only 3 that will limit his chances as a player even more

If he does go well we have witnessed arguably one of the legends of the English Premiership centre forwards, and as he has declared himself- wish I had came earlier to this club.
An absolute professional and what an infectious character to have around and passing on his knowledge and expertise.
We will miss him if he decides to go, but I think that the feeling is mutual as he will miss us as well....
Very similar situation to the late great Ray Wilkins.

If the finances are sensible and demarcation lines clear then I’d like to see the wee man given a player coach role.

If an absolute muppet like Brown is viewed as capable of a player coach role then a Rolls Royce of a player and human like Jermain must surely be worth giving a chance to.

By all accounts Fashion is a rough diamond and could benefit greatly from the influence of someone like Defoe to help him settle in and improve his game.

If here is any truth in the Simic rumour he looks a development prospect who would no doubt also benefit from Defoe’s influence.

It’s not a game for sentiment , for fans perhaps but not managers or players . That old firm goal was the perfect way to end his playing days certainly with ourselves . If he wants to be a coach that’s great if we offer him something but playing wise his salary and place should go to someone who we can bring on and improve . The simple fact is he would play even less next season than he did this season .

Pay as you play for me. The wages (if true of 30k per week) could be maybe used for another player with longevity imo.

He’s hampered by injuries now but able to come in and score a goal for you when needed... a wonderful option to have.
I’d love to see him stay - he’s clearly not able for being the main man up front and playing an entire season now but he is a valuable player in the squad. How that translates to wages is anyone’s guess.

Add to that the role he seems to play of the pitch and I think Rangers gives him an opportunity to start coaching, along with playing in 20-25 games a season. It must be tempting.
Because of his profile he will be able to walk into most jobs down South when he is ready & qualified to coach but this must be a good environment for him to get his badges?

I'm surprised he's been a good servant I'd be letting him to accommodate Sakala and perhaps getting another number 10 in.

Hard to see where Defoe gets game time going forward.

People like Defoe just ‘get it’ straight away. He is a credit to our club, he still can clearly do the business but I suppose it all depends on if he wants one last season playing more regularly or not, or whether he is happy to bide his time here and help the younger players aswell then potentially move into a coaching role.

I hope he stays he's the perfect role model someone everybody looks up to and Rangers seem to be
the perfect fit for him to see out his career and start him off in coaching.I really think we,d
be missing a trick if we didn't keep him on in some capacity.

It will all boil down to what Defoe wants to do himself. Drop down to Championship and play every week or stay with us and be 3rd/4th choice Striker and maybe play 20-25 games next season.

As long as the finances are reasonable, it's a no brainer for me that he stays. We won't find a better 3rd or 4th choice striker than him. We won't get someone else who scores a goal a start and is an incredible influence off the field.

I suspect Defoe wants to play more but he has caught the Rangers Bug and it will come down to whether the heart wins over the head.

I keep saying it, but the guy is a class act and a credit to our club and the sport.

Even as a bit part player he has plenty to offer those around him

Defoe has proven quality and we won't be able to get a backup that good. On the other hand, we have Itten and Sakala so I would be a bit surprised if he stayed.

I'd happily keep Defoe another year, assuming he accepts a more modest wage. He's more than good enough to play against a lot of the teams in our league and in certain games he remains a better option than Itten for me.

I know some people view Defoe staying as another block to Itten but ultimately Itten has to prove he's better than what we have.

I really hope we can keep Jermaine in the group at least another season. Aside from his outstanding ability he's so good for morale in the dressing room and training ground. Also commands a huge amount of respect, and is such a good role model for our players. Also a top ambassador for our club.

You can tell his goal against the corruptables meant so much to him, you could see it in his face, the guy seems like such a gentleman and still so skilled on the park even at this later stage in his career. Definitely want him to stay for one more season.

I’d love to him stay and eventually become part of our coaching staff. He’d be an amazing asset for the club and the young players could learn so much from him.

Agreed on both counts. Defoe could still do a job to some extent, but misty-eyed romanticism aside, let’s say he’s even on £15k a week, I’d rather put that towards getting in an option like Nisbet who has time on his side.
You want us to spend £3.5m on Nisbet?

I'd love him to stay for his attitude and the effect he seems to have on the squad.

But he's earned the right to move on with our blessing also, the choice is his.

Can't see how he will get the minutes to justify a year's playing contract.

I’d agree with you and so would Defoe!

I think we need to remove the emotion of this one, we all know he is a special figure to have around, but realistically, we could have played the whole season without him.

If there is a real job available for him coaching with B team etc, it would be amazing if he stayed to start his coaching career, but I can’t see him contributing much on the field next season due to further restricted opportunities.

Don’t be silly, we’re not paying anyone £60k a week.
Well looks like I've been schooled again. I don't know where I got the 60k from. I was probably sucked in by some no-mark current bun journo.
Apologies to all and JD especially. Yeah keep him

Give him a coaching role (and associated wage) but also with the chance to get game time when we need him. It all depends on what he wants. If he's happy here and wants to coach then we could be ideal for him. If he wants to play most weeks we cannot really complain if he goes elsewhere.

I hope he stays , not just because I like him but because He still has plenty to offer. He scores just about any time he comes on and still looks as sharp as ever despite not playing as much as he'd like.

Don’t think we can underestimate what he brings to the team overall. Hopefully we offer him a player/coach role with part of his wages being based on appearances

Defoe will stay because he knows it doesn’t get any better than Rangers

The news we're discussing the next stage of his career is music to my ears. I absolutely love that he's been involved at our club

Sell it to him by asking how much he would enjoy scoring another one against that lot, but with the crowd there.

Even at 38 hes still the best finisher in the league ,there is nobody you would want more with a chance in the box or a 1 on 1 with the GK ,his finishing is top drawer

I think this is heart over head decision unless it’s predominantly coaching
His minutes to goals ratio will be the best at the club by a distance. He will get you goals at SPFL level next season and is still more reliable to do that than someone like Itten. I don’t mean that as a dig at Itten BTW as I like him and think he can become a bigger part of the squad going forward.

The people best placed to assess Jermaine's fitness and capability to go another season are the coaching and medical staff,if they think he'll make a positive contribution next season then give him another year.

Jermain, if you're reading this please stay.

I don't have a season ticket but Pre-Covid I try to get to as many games using the Seat Sub facility on the club website that you may be aware of.

One of the games I've enjoyed the most in recent years was 5-1 v Hamilton and you scored a hat trick. Was a cracking sunny days and I was actually up in the Family section for a change as we took my mate's two sons with us. They loved it and they loved you.

I'd be saddened to think we wouldn't get an opportunity to see you again and the club will always be a better place with you around.

ps. Have you been watching Mare of Easttown?

Back