Rangers open talks with Defoe

Too much obsession with age. If a player hasn't got the fitness, then fair enough. But to knock someone back purely on their date of birth isn't right.
I remember when Collina was pretty much regarded as the best ref in the world and yet the Italian FA wanted to retire him because he was 40 ffs!
Some of our support are utterly obsessed with age how much we should sell a player for and if there better than ex Rangers players.

Not for me. I've absolutely loved having him here, and he is a credit to himself and his family. He's also been successful whilst here (in my eyes).

That said, he shouldn't be in the way of other's progression. And if we're truly paying him £30k per week, that's a monstrous wage to sit on the bench.

Even at £10k p/w, that's too rich for someone to be on side lines.

I think a parting of ways with our huge appreciation and respect, and wish him well.

Not for me. I've absolutely loved having him here, and he is a credit to himself and his family. He's also been successful whilst here (in my eyes).

That said, he shouldn't be in the way of other's progression. And if we're truly paying him £30k per week, that's a monstrous wage to sit on the bench.

I think a parting of ways with our huge appreciation and respect, and wish him well.
what people forget it it's a long season, Europe, League, cups, plus we will have suspensions, and we know Roofe is injury prone.
Alfie may or may not be sold, but having Defoe as a back up i think is a wise decisions.

Not for me.
A sign the management team don't really rate Itten.
I don’t compute how that adds up, to be honest.

One thing we need is depth. If JD is happy with current circumstances where his game time is more limited but he obviously has a big role off the pitch as much as on it when he does appear, then there’s no reason to start going down the “too many players so who has to go?” angle on this one. Injuries and suspensions happen, we’ve been pretty lucky this year but if we’ve learnt anything it should be that squad depth is a major factor in maintaining a title challenge.

Goal return terrific for his age and minutes played. Phenomenal pro.
Definitely mate. He could still bang goals in at the top level imo. I think he will stay for another year. I'm sure That's what Gerrard and the club would want. I think it will be more down to Jermaine Defoe and what he feels is best for him.

Seen a few posts today regarding this man. This has to be the image of the day for me. What a player but what a man. Jermain Colin Defoe OBE.

182220610_3064462570442555_1007895971166734829_n.jpg

We dont use him a lot, and next season is not going to be any different so it's down to what we pay him every week to probably sit on the bench.

We dont use him a lot, and next season is not going to be any different so it's down to what we pay him every week to probably sit on the bench.
He will barely play next season the odd cameo and cup start that's it.

Not even worth it imo.

Its only fitting he ends his playing career at a club like ours.. He gets another year, might not play often , but his presence is a massive positive within the changing room.

He will barely play next season the odd cameo and cup start that's it.

Not even worth it imo.
Not even worth it in your opinion??
How do you know Alfie wont be sold, and what happens if Itten and Roofe are injured, we cannot rely on a new signing to hit the ground running.
If he signs a new deal on sensible money with some coaching involved this it is 100 percent worth it.

I don’t compute how that adds up, to be honest.

One thing we need is depth. If JD is happy with current circumstances where his game time is more limited but he obviously has a big role off the pitch as much as on it when he does appear, then there’s no reason to start going down the “too many players so who has to go?” angle on this one. Injuries and suspensions happen, we’ve been pretty lucky this year but if we’ve learnt anything it should be that squad depth is a major factor in maintaining a title challenge.

Not even worth it in your opinion??
How do you know Alfie wont be sold, and what happens if Itten and Roofe are injured, we cannot rely on a new signing to hit the ground running.
If he signs a new deal on sensible money with some coaching involved this it is 100 percent worth it.
If Morelos is sold we will sign a replacement i think he will still be here though, Roofe is back fit again and will benefit a full pre season, Itten will be bursting for an opportunity and we have Sakala coming in.

No room for sentiments or because of his name we need to make room for new additions in the summer and don't forget the dross coming back from there loan spells that will inflate the squad in July personally for a bit part player I don't see the point in keeping Defoe.

If Morelos is sold we will sign a replacement that's fairly obvious. Roofe is back fit again and will benefit a full pre season, Itten will be bursting for an opportunity and we have Sakala coming in.

No room for sentiments or because of his name we need to make room for new additions in the summer and don't forget the dross coming back from there loan spells that will inflate the squad in July.
Why are we in talks with him then?

I think it's clear he has the rangers bug. Totally loves the club and the fans.... His lack of game time may see him seek one last challenge but if we could incorporate game time and coaching into his role maybe he will be happy to see out his playing days at the greatest place on earth

With defoe it isn't a case of paying him to sit on the bench. I think most of our fans have absolutely no idea how much he has contributed to rangers off tee pitch since he got here, the professionalism he adds, the influence and experience he gives to the young players. The level head. The encouragement, the class. Its not just a case of paying him to come off the bench and score the odd goal. There is much more to it than that with JD. Open your mind a wee bit. It's no champ manager

Ffs. See my post above this one. It's not only about on the pitch with JD:))

For me it's a no brainer. There's no way he'd be offered a silly money contact at this stage. If he's happy to take the contract offered, and contribute as he has this season, then he'd remain an asset to the club, not just on the park.

Back