Rangers TV issues after upgrade

I'm noticing that its the same block of posters who have issues most games. The majority get a good stream and a good experience, a few have the occasional problem and a rump have issues every game it seems and never get anywhere. I don't dispute that these guys are having a poor experience, the question is 'why'? I keep coming back to the conclusion its something in their setup and not RangersTV.

It could be broadband speed, kids in every bedroom using the Xbox at the same time as the stream, 10 devices all accessing the broadband at the same time, background apps running, a poor VPN, a poor choice of location for the VPN, the device being streamed on (not a TV browser, please), casting or not casting etc etc. So many variables.

There's no question that the crossover has been poorly handled but it seems, once you've sorted that out, most can see an improvement. Personally, if I was having as horrendous a time as some on here I just wouldn't bother paying the money. Alternatively, as I've suggested before, try your device in a mate's house, try his device in your house and see if that changes anything. Either way, I'd be searching for my own fix or I'd be keeping my money in my pocket.

I've now been told If I can't provide proof of purchase I'm not getting access! Shocking state of affairs that you pay upfront for a 12 month service then they change it 6 months in and stop you getting access to it. It's actually fucking criminal behaviour!

If you signed up 6 months ago it would have taken the payment via WorldPay. You should have an email from WorldPay with your account login and password for the WorldPay site. That will give you evidence and proof of your paying your subscription. Hopefully you kept it. You would also have had an email from WorldPay confirming they had taken the payment. Here's the WorldPay login page:

I’ve been following this type of thread for ages, as I want to join RTV, however their customer service seems to be non existent. I have on numerous times over at least a year tried to contact them with an enquiry, to date I’m still waiting on a reply, that’s what puts me off. We have an exceptionally good Virgin broadband speed, do you still get buffering on RTV badly?
Have good broadband speed and got a fair bit of. offering tonight. Not sure whether this is down to my VPN or RTV.

Don’t know why but I can’t cast using the chromecast app anymore, used to be perfect too. It’s still fine with things like YouTube just not RTV. Had to settle with the last few on the IPad.

What device are you having casting problems from?

For those paying monthly: did you need to put your payment details in again after the password change? ..... just noticed my payment details are empty.

For those paying monthly: did you need to put your payment details in again after the password change? ..... just noticed my payment details are empty.

As things stand you don’t have to. Unless your payment card has changed. I put mine in anyway but there’s been no indication that you have to, they should transfer across as part of the switchover.

Tonight was the first time I’ve had streaming issues and had to refresh a few times. At one or two refreshes it seemed to work out I was using a VPN and gave me a raspberry.

Hoping this ain’t gonna be a regular thing.

Tonight was the first time I’ve had streaming issues and had to refresh a few times. At one or two refreshes it seemed to work out I was using a VPN and gave me a raspberry.

Hoping this ain’t gonna be a regular thing.

Sounds like your VPN was losing the connection. Can iften be solved by selecting another location near to the UK, eg France, Belgium or The Netherlands.

Sounds like your VPN was losing the connection. Can iften be solved by selecting another location near to the UK, eg France, Belgium or The Netherlands.

Thanks I managed to get past it mate but it was effin irritating. I’m one of the lucky ones who normally don’t get any issues with RTV. (That’s me jinxed then:eek:)

Another wee piece of advice folks:

On the old RTV you could sign in without a VPN, purchase the game then switch on your VPN at KO and it would play.

Now you must switch on your VPN before logging in.

Any improvement to frame rate? Always find the stream isn’t quite as smooth as it should be which distracts me when watching, especially if hooked up to TV.

Any improvement to frame rate? Always find the stream isn’t quite as smooth as it should be which distracts me when watching, especially if hooked up to TV.

..... which browser are you using ?
I’ve been having problems with Microsoft Edge.
2 games now Edge acted up but Firefox (running side by side) was smooth, stuttering, hesitation, almost like blinking.
Talked to Microsoft today & downloaded new Edge browser update.
Will try it again on Sunday’s game ...

Hmm, RangersTV page playing up for me again on iPad with Safari browser. Page seems to load - then randomly crashes as soon as I try to scroll down the page. Not every time but maybe three times out of four. Cleared cache/cookies to no avail. Happens with VPN on or off.

Will get to desktop later and see if the same issue prevails. Always on a matchday LOL.

EDIT: Problem solved. Tried turning off ad-blocker, tried allowing pop-ups - all to no avail. Still wouldn’t load on iPad. As a last resort I tried the old faithful - switch it of and turn it on again - so shut-down and re-booted the iPad. Now working like a dream. Weird.

iPad, iPhone etc, notorious for 'Network' issues - forgetting password settings, re-input the password a 100 times, reset the network and power off, reboot - many times too. Dropping the network and can't rejoin, re-boot the modem ... on & on then suddenly it works. Now that is a nightmare - happens regularly around here :rolleyes:
Meanwhile all the other 'stuff' connected to the modem hasn't skipped a beat :mad:

2 games now Edge acted up but Firefox (running side by side) was smooth, stuttering, hesitation, almost like blinking.

For those who are fans of Chrome, it’s worth noting that the new Edge browser is built entirely upon the Chrome architecture (Chromium) with some added bits from Microsoft. I haven’t had the chance to try it yet but early reviews suggest that MS may finally have a browser to beat the rest. It’s available for download now and will roll-out via Windows Update over the next few weeks provided you have Windows10 v1709 or better,

I generally use the ‘old’ Edge without issue as I find it gives me the best stream quality anyway,

If you signed up 6 months ago it would have taken the payment via WorldPay. You should have an email from WorldPay with your account login and password for the WorldPay site. That will give you evidence and proof of your paying your subscription. Hopefully you kept it. You would also have had an email from WorldPay confirming they had taken the payment. Here's the WorldPay login page:

Hi VB, when you buy the annual it was done via world pay while logged in to RTV so no world pay login. I seem to have deleted the receipt from 6 months ago. I have sent copy of credit card statement.

Hi VB, when you buy the annual it was done via world pay while logged in to RTV so no world pay login. I seem to have deleted the receipt from 6 months ago. I have sent copy of credit card statement.

Fair enough mate. It worked the same with the monthly sub, but WorldPay set up an account for you and email you the password and login details. Used to be the same User ID as your RangersTV one but a different password. Sounds like it’s different for a one-off annual payment. Good Luck in your quest to prove your case.

I've been using RTV for quite a while now, NORD VPN and casting from my laptop using Chrome to cast a tab and not the cast button on the player. Last night the stream was worse than normal, it was buffering and pixelating on my laptop quite badly despite switching VPN connections several times and reloading the player. I don't normally have any issues other than the picture quality dropping from HD to SD on the odd occasion.

I've previously tried Safari, Chrome & Firefox on Mac. Firefox worked best last time I tried it.

I had problems with it last night, was buffering all the time on my iPad so witched to MacBook Pro and it worked good through this computer.

We have a lot of tech buffs on here, it's giving me a sore head just reading this thread :p

Turn your VPN to On, Click on the Subscribe to RangersTV tab and you should see the option to purchase the match.

Can you recommend a good VPN? I'm watching through my TV browser at present but I have a Firestick. I have Kodi setup and I'm fairly competent on these things but I've never used a VPN.

I'm assuming pick a VPN, use silk browser and login to RangersTv?

Can you recommend a good VPN? I'm watching through my TV browser at present but I have a Firestick. I have Kodi setup and I'm fairly competent on these things but I've never used a VPN.

I'm assuming pick a VPN, use silk browser and login to RangersTv?

I can advise on VPNs but not Firestick.

The two generally regarded as the 'best' are ExpressVPN and NordVPN, with ExpressVPN usually just edging it. I use another paid for VPN in Private Internet Access (PIA). I've found it reliable and very, very easy to use. Their website has tutorial videos if you need them but just the basic setup is very simple and easy. Can use it on any device as there are Apps available. Can be used on up to 5 devices at the same time. There was an offer on recently at $29 for the year but I see that's gone up to $39 for the year now. I saw someone posting the other day that NordVPN had a promotion on so maybe look out for that. Most will be priced in dollars by the way.

Generally speaking the longer the subscription you take out - and remember you pay it up front - the cheaper it gets. I initially took out a 12 month subscription to make sure things were OK and then extended to a 3 year subscription at well under the equivalent of £3 per month. Some offer free trial periods, which is worth a look also.

So, I'd recommend ExpressVPN or NordVPN based on what I read in the various reviews and I'd recommend PIA based on my own experience. Just find one that has a good offer on. You certainly shouldn't be paying much more than the equivalent of about £2.50 per month for a good product. Make sure you pick one with a high number of servers in various countries - that lets you 'move around' if you encounter problems. For RangersTV focus on countries nearest to the UK, such as France, Belgium and The Netherlands.

I had to reregister with my email address and new password after the upgrade.I'm a Standard Plus subscriber (1 off payment of £96 per annum).
Don't use a VPN so no problems as don't watch live matches on RTV.
My problem is that after I watch any video I am automatically logged out so have to log in all the time and it's a bloody nuisance.

I didn’t have any issues with getting signed in etc. But the only problem I had was that the quality of the picture wasn’t as good as it normally is. Does anyone know if there are any settings or anything that I could change to get a better quality (similar to the way YouTube do it)?

I didn’t have any issues with getting signed in etc. But the only problem I had was that the quality of the picture wasn’t as good as it normally is. Does anyone know if there are any settings or anything that I could change to get a better quality (similar to the way YouTube do it)?
Have you tried clicking on the circle icon, down next to where the arrows are to make the picture full screen? It should give you a series of options to choose from, have a play about and see what setting works best for you.

Have you tried clicking on the circle icon, down next to where the arrows are to make the picture full screen? It should give you a series of options to choose from, have a play about and see what setting works best for you.
Cheers mate, makes it better. Might sound like a stupid question but can you change they options when watching the game live?

I had to reregister with my email address and new password after the upgrade.I'm a Standard Plus subscriber (1 off payment of £96 per annum).
Don't use a VPN so no problems as don't watch live matches on RTV.
My problem is that after I watch any video I am automatically logged out so have to log in all the time and it's a bloody nuisance.

I've tried but can't replicate that on either desktop or on iPad. Both just play the video then take me back to the menu page. What device are you using?

The bigger problem for me is that clicking on Logout on the iPad produces nothing at all. Only way I can logout is to clear the cache/cookies. The new platform has some odd 'quirks' with Apple products I've found.

I generally find going to the Settings cog (bottom right) and switching it from Auto to 1080p produces the best results. I've had to go lower in the past but not with the new platform. The picture last night, for me at least, was flawless; true HD throughout. Best I've ever had.

Anyone here us an HDMI to iPad/iPhone adaptor to show a live VPN'd game on the tv? If so does it work ok? (looking for alternatives as unable to cast via Apple TV)

Anyone here us an HDMI to iPad/iPhone adaptor to show a live VPN'd game on the tv? If so does it work ok? (looking for alternatives as unable to cast via Apple TV)

I got one off eBay that was recommended on here (link below). Tried it on 2 x television sets. On the older (Samsung) one it didn't fill the screen so I was left with a black box around the picture but it was watchable. Couldn't do anything in Picture Settings to change that. On the newer (LG) set it started the same way but I was able to change the Picture Settings to give me a full screen stream. Again, it was eminently watchable but I found it 'less smooth' or free-flowing than going straight from laptop to tv for example. It works and it works reasonably well - if they don't resolve your AppleTV issue its worth considering. Cheap as chips so worth the risk. Of course, the genuine Apple adapter might prove better - but at 6 or 7 times the price!:)

One thing to note, the one I had required two inputs on the tv - the HDMI connection and a USB connection (presumably to provide power).

Reactions: BWO
I've tried but can't replicate that on either desktop or on iPad. Both just play the video then take me back to the menu page. What device are you using?

The bigger problem for me is that clicking on Logout on the iPad produces nothing at all. Only way I can logout is to clear the cache/cookies. The new platform has some odd 'quirks' with Apple products I've found.

Using Safari on an iMac.Had no problems before upgrade.I can pause a video and log out but if I watch a full video it logs me out automatically.Weird.

I got one off eBay that was recommended on here (link below). Tried it on 2 x television sets. On the older (Samsung) one it didn't fill the screen so I was left with a black box around the picture but it was watchable. Couldn't do anything in Picture Settings to change that. On the newer (LG) set it started the same way but I was able to change the Picture Settings to give me a full screen stream. Again, it was eminently watchable but I found it 'less smooth' or free-flowing than going straight from laptop to tv for example. It works and it works reasonably well - if they don't resolve your AppleTV issue its worth considering. Cheap as chips so worth the risk. Of course, the genuine Apple adapter might prove better - but at 6 or 7 times the price!:)

One thing to note, the one I had required two inputs on the tv - the HDMI connection and a USB connection (presumably to provide power).

If it's just a mirroring device then I'll not bother...I can mirror on AppleTV but as you say it looks gash.
Why is this such a ball ache :rolleyes:

What make is your tv? I use the video and tv cast app for Samsung TV’s and it works an absolute treat.
I have been having a wee play about with my set up this morning. I signed into my Rangers TV account today and I don’t have the option to watch the coverage of last nights game, I turned on my VPN and the live coverage option appeared, I then cast the game to my tv and turned off the VPN, the game still played.

What make is your tv? I use the video and tv cast app for Samsung TV’s and it works an absolute treat.
I have been having a wee play about with my set up this morning. I signed into my Rangers TV account today and I don’t have the option to watch the coverage of last nights game, I turned on my VPN and the live coverage option appeared, I then cast the game to my tv and turned off the VPN, the game still played.

I've got a Sony Bravia, but I don't think the cast app is available for my model.
edit: misread you post

Hmm. As an 'experiment' after the final whistle last night, whilst they were still discussing the game, I switched off my VPN. It continued playing for a wee while and then froze. After a refresh I got the message about being in a country not authorised for viewing the match. Turned the VPN on again and Tom and Andy were still talking away.

Might work differently - it should - for replays, but it would appear the requirement to leave your VPN switched on for the live stream is here to stay.

Update...I tried signing into Rangers TV again and it’s now giving me the option to play last nights game without the VPN on. Strange.

If it's just a mirroring device then I'll not bother...I can mirror on AppleTV but as you say it looks gash.
Why is this such a ball ache :rolleyes:

I'm not sure you will find anything that ISN'T simply a mirroring device to be honest.

I know little of AppleTV - out of interest does that not just mirror your device as well? I've considered looking for a second-hand one in the past then I saw your had run into issues with using it on the new platform.

Hmm. As an 'experiment' after the final whistle last night, whilst they were still discussing the game, I switched off my VPN. It continued playing for a wee while and then froze. After a refresh I got the message about being in a country not authorised for viewing the match. Turned the VPN on again and Tom and Andy were still talking away.

Might work differently - it should - for replays, but it would appear the requirement to leave your VPN switched on for the live stream is here to stay.

That’s what I expected to happen. I know you used to be able to turn off the VPN once the match started, but that changed before Xmas. You would normally expect to have access to the match ‘as live’ after midnight..I think, that’s why I was surprised to find it wasn’t available until I turned on the VPN. Maybe just a glitch of some sort.

Fair enough mate. It worked the same with the monthly sub, but WorldPay set up an account for you and email you the password and login details. Used to be the same User ID as your RangersTV one but a different password. Sounds like it’s different for a one-off annual payment. Good Luck in your quest to prove your case.

I don't think that is true with regards to the WorldPay username. My WP username was my first and last name combined and I believe it was generated by them. Maybe there was an option to over-ride and use my RTV username but I don't remember being offered that option. In any case, it wasn't very clear that we were created accounts on WorldPay.

I don't think that is true with regards to the WorldPay username. My WP username was my first and last name combined and I believe it was generated by them. Maybe there was an option to over-ride and use my RTV username but I don't remember being offered that option. In any case, it wasn't very clear that we were created accounts on WorldPay.

Maybe I changed my username at the same time as I changed my password, can't recall. I knew I'd had a WorldPay account created because WorldPay sent me the two emails with the username and password. From what you say, it sounds like you had/have one as well - if you kept or can remember the login details. You've sent in your Credit Card statement now so I guess its a moot point in any case.

Back