Match Thread Rangers v Celtic - 12:00 Sunday - Sky Sports

I agree that Celtic also looked average, but it’s all context. They were away. Last two visits they had been dominated. Entire new back line, that then suffered another injury and another debutant was introduced. And we still struggled. Piss poor and annoying because we seem to continue to have an inability to break teams down that sit in. And also because we changed our formation to suit them.
That's the worst part of it mate. We changed a winning formation to suit them WHY ?

Unfortunately I along with many others called it right when we seen the starting line up.
Gaffer has to hold his hands up today and, tbh i think he will, he got the team wrong from the off starting with no width against their questionable full backs and with no real press, one mistake and we ended up chasing the game.
They didn't even have to work to win the game.
YES It's Shite getting beat but at the end of the day it's only 3 points, trophies aren't won or lost in September.
I trust Gerrard to learn from this.

It's one game.

The team set up today though.

Not terrible as per a lot of people have been banging on about, but the way we were playing and considering how we performed on Thurs, today was crying out for:

McGregor
Tav, Goldson, Katic, Barisic
Jack
Ojo, Davis, Jones
Aribo (or Arfield)
Morelos

Considering Goldsons balls up today, A Helander Katic partnership is worth a look.

Tims outplayed us, we were the worst we've been this season, ref was ok except for the yellow, potential red by McGregor that Madden opted to ignore in the first half.

SG shat starting Alfie due to his card being marked.

No surrender? Come on you're not 12. Also go through those teams and remind yourself of their quality.
Alright, let's change 'no surrender' to 'you're not much if a supporter if you're throwing in the towel after 4 league games' - is that erudite or loquacious enough for you?

Do we really need to go through this surrender monkey, fairweather 'fan' shite every single time we have a bad result? The league is not won or lost in September.

As previously mentioned they came on to us just like we did to them in December and also the final game last season.
I noticed in the first 5 minutes they wanted it more.
The team selection was poor.They were supposed to be weak in defence but no Jones or Alfredo.
I think its a big kick up the arse ( which we most probably needed) for all.
So we must know chase them and beat them every time we meet them.
Its early doors yet.

They were in our faces from the start and we couldn’t cope with it, they are strong in the middle and us trying to match up to that played into their hands unfortunately. Jones should have started and been at their full backs pinning them back and that’s down to Gerrard no one else. Defoe was lost up front and did absolutely nothing stemming from the lack of service given to him, the amount of high balls fired up to him because of no option out wide was ridiculous, it played into their two central defenders hands and were never troubled.
Tavernier has been poor for the last couple of games and that continued today, Goldson needs dropped and Arfield needs a rest.

When's Morelos going to step up? Fucking sick of his pathetic attempts at goals against them. Edouard has Five in 7 games ffs.

That today was %^*& all to do with Morelos. He should have started and we should have went for the jugular instead of giving them all the respect.

Btw Ryan jack has started he season on fire and then in the biggest game he could find a pass. Whole midfield was dreadful.

Great post !

We have a few that are off form or in need of time on the bench to let others stake their claim. The international break gives us time to evaluate and come back fresh.

It’s still early doors in the season but we don’t seem as fluid as we were at the end of last season.

I hope Stevie will give those out of form a break but there are a few that seem to get picked every week despite how they played the week before.
It is best to criticize when we are winning,I dint think Ojo( poor) or Aribo (potential, but did not understand what today was all about) are world beaters no improvement on the loss of Kent
For me the blame solely lies at Gerrard’s door.There was absolutely no f ucking justification for not starting with Alfie or a winger,none whatsoever.We played straight into the bigot’s hand and deserved nothing today.
True, we were better against East Fife

My two cents

Mcgregor 8 - several key saves when we started pushing up

Tav 4 - poor
Goldson 3 - needs dropped
Katic 6 - was ok
Flanagan 6 - did well

Kamara 3 - didn't get to grips at all
Davis 6 - not the worst but with his ability he should be running that game.
Jack 7 - didn't let us down

Aribo 3 - awful first half, slightly better 2nd
Arfield 4 - poor and needs a rest, has done for weeks
Defoe 4 - poor, games like today when it's poor service you have to make things happen, he didn't

Morelos 5 - got at them when others didn't
Ojo 2 - little impact
Jones 1 - did little then a stupid red

Gerrard 3 - shocking selection

Madden 3 - shite bag

Reactions: dmg
Celtic pressed us today, and made us as uncomfortable as we made them in their last two visits. Coupled with some of our players being slow and a yard off, and we got what we deserved which sadly was nothing. We knew they would be up for it with Lennon as manager, but we weren’t even close to what we are capable of. It’s a tough one, and some of the overconfidence from our fanbase going in was akin to what we slag them for. However, there’s a long way to go. We are all gutted, but we can recover. Gerrard must also take his share of the blame too, but he will also learn a lesson, hopefully.

My two cents

Tav 4 - poor
Katic 6 - was ok
Flanagan 6 - did well

Defoe 4 - poor, games like today when it's poor service you have to make things happen, he didn't

Ojo 2 - little impact

Madden 3 - shite bag
6 generous for Davis IMO

hardly,

he hasn't been backed with the cash that puts us anywhere near a level playing field with the scum

if we are within 5/6 pooints of the scum and lose both cup finals to them he'll go again
With respect, he's getting the basics of management wrong at crucial stages of matches, team selection tactics and subs

My two cents

Tav 4 - poor
Katic 6 - was ok
Flanagan 6 - did well

Ojo 2 - little impact

Madden 3 - shite bag
I would give Arfield and Tav 2.

Aribo was a absolute shambles today. Make not mistake about it, he was signed to be the quality but was dreadful (he was in good company). A game at Ibrox to lay down a marker and probably only McGregor and possibly flano get anywhere near pass marks. Shambles

My two cents

Tav 4 - poor
Katic 6 - was ok
Flanagan 6 - did well

Ojo 2 - little impact

Madden 3 - shite bag

Jack was woeful today

Yes, we have improved the squad, although on a day like today the case can be made for questioning why McCrorie & Candeias were allowed to depart, but we still haven't signed any wow-factor signings or game-changers.

I rubbed my hands when I saw their defence, then I put them back in my pocket when I saw our team selection. We started on the back foot & never got off it. Very easy win for them - at a canter in fact - a deflating & very concerning day.

IMO we beat ourselves today - again

Sure our formation & tactics didn't help - but the performances from Aribo, Kamara, Goldson & Arfield were way below what they are capable of

The most annoying thing for me is - the scum are barely average & we handed the game to them on a plate

Another worry for me is that 'beating ourselves' by not consistently playing to our strenghts, is what cost us the league last season-

I know it's early - but we need to get this out of our system once & for all, to bring home 55

My two cents

Tav 4 - poor
Katic 6 - was ok
Flanagan 6 - did well

Ojo 2 - little impact

Madden 3 - shite bag
and some rated Jack at EPL level.
Estonia Premier League

As much as it pains me to say, Celt*c are still a good team. They’ve had a rough start to the season, but they still have lots of individual players who can win a game. Today showed that. Either we still need a couple of more high quality signings (unlikely), or we need to deliver performances like our two OF wins of last season - but crucially, under this season’s immense pressure

As much as it pains me to say, Celt*c are still a good team. They’ve had a rough start to the season, but they still have lots of individual players who can win a game. Today showed that. Either we still need a couple of more high quality signings (unlikely), or we need to deliver performances like our two OF wins of last season - but crucially, under this season’s immense pressure

no

they're not a good team that is part of what makes that performance let alone result totally abhorrent

That’s the league done for another season :(
Aye phucking right just back home after game and commiseration drink they might have won the battle but we can still win the war.Their arrogance will be their undoing Lennon and the rest of the tramp hordes will think that they are winning league easy.Whether gerrard thought we might stuggle fitness wise after Thursday or just picked the wrong team I dont know(he knows more about football than me and probably all on here)but dont give in so easily.

What rough start have they had? A bad 2nd half performance againt cluj overall doesn't mean a rough start.
As far as whether they are a good team or not. Well Scottish wise they are the best until we show otherwise, simple as that. European wise they haven't been shown to be a good team over the past few seasons and ultimately that is how they will be judged again this season as to how far they progress in the Europa league. If they don't get out there section then they can't be classed as a good team. At the end of they day whether they are classed as good or not we still have catching up to do.

Only the first old firm. To be fair shocking formation with Aribo and Arfield playing higher up when it should of been jones and Ojo. We are still gonna win 55 this year lads. Play up the Glasgow rangers !!!

Just home from the game and im so disappointed, we seem to be taking two steps forward then three back. Gerrard team selection today was woeful and he should have had the balls to change it after 15/20 minutes, Mcgregor and Flannigan apart I wouldn't give pass marks to anyone, i really don't understand why we stood off them allowing them to pass the ball about on their own half, they played us at our own game today with the high press. I'm gutted to see that scum celebrating at full time because they are a poor outfit, they were just better than us today.

Terrible performance today all over the park especially middle to front where we should have made it count in passing & crossing all day they were piss poor.

More galling that these players already know that mob aren't anything special ,the manager also needs to address this inability to overcome being squeezed out a game as the standards just drop with little or no reply as to overcome these tactics the last three games have panned out the same way.

The quality of crosses & passes is pathetic despite recent goals of that nature we do not utilise the channels especially enough with sharper pass & move when we need it dragging their players instead of standing like dummies waiting for a ball to come to them that either gets intercepted or forced out wide to be closed out.

Yet again Tav lost us the first goal, fans need to waken up to his pish distribution.

We were equal to them but got to ask what was the difference between McGregors 1st half late tackle and JJ's?

I just don’t see it with Aribo. He’s not the creative outlet we needed. We desperately needed an attacking midfielder/number 10 to create and unlock. He seems content to sit back and try and be a playmaker but we have enough of them in our team.

Time to give him a spell out of the team. He disrupts our balance big time. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence Kamara has suddenly been poor despite being our best midfielder at the end of last season. Give Kamara an advanced role IMO.

So disappointed today. Right now, Madden aside, we are a second placed team. Hurts me to say it, but some players keep making the same brutal mistakes that cost us games. Players who can't be trusted in big games need to make way for others getting their chance.

Back