Match Thread Rangers v Celtic - 12:00 Sunday - Sky Sports

.............& another thing
( as if we needed any more ? But I'm still going to press on regardless)

Why are we so shite at corners ?
How many did we get today ?
To be fair at least a couple were decent crosses - but they were easily dealt with by what in reality is a ropey defence

Yet again Tav lost us the first goal, fans need to waken up to his pish distribution.

We were equal to them but got to ask what was the difference between McGregors 1st half late tackle and JJ's?

Goldson gave the ball away for the first, not Tavernier.

Edit - Tavernier had a good partnership with Candeias. Hasn't been as effective since he left for Turkey. Was also expected to do too much by himself down the RHS today.

An embarrassment from start to finish.

Poor team selection and baffling tactics plus our failure to press them up the pitch was our ultimate downfall today and the changes were for me too late the damage was already done.

Why change a winning team ?

Why did we not have any width or have a genuine out ball on the wings ?

As for the constant long ball tactics %^*& that were is that all of a sudden coming from ?

The players should be ashamed and Gerrard should take the full blame for that.

All the momentum we have built up since pre season has went with that result against an average mentally challenged team with a dross defence.

Disgusted beyond belief.

Yet again Tav lost us the first goal, fans need to waken up to his pish distribution.

We were equal to them but got to ask what was the difference between McGregors 1st half late tackle and JJ's?

It was the stupidest of passes from Goldson that led to the first goal mate. Tav had a poor game but he wasn’t culpable at that one.

Had a wee while to calm down and think about that.

Wow I feel so let down. A Celtic team with a crap back 5 I honestly thought we’d Score 3 or maybe even more. Then I saw our line up. That like everyone doubt started to creep in. Why not start Jones and Morelos? Why start Arfield? A player that desperately needs rest and hasn’t been that great for ages. Then the match starts, both teams can’t settle and especially Rangers who are treating the ball like a hit tatie and nobody is stepping up to control the game. Mistake is made by Goldson and they score. 2nd half the wrong sub is made. A player that went through the pain barrier on Thursday Ojo subbed on and looks scared has no real impact on the game apart from our only shot on target, a desperate effort. Morelos and jones subbed on far to late and we still can’t create anything. Honestly we’ve gifted that Celtic a win. They weren’t great what so ever yet we were terrible nobody turned up except McGregor and Flanagan. What a shambles that was

Just in the house now was up at 6.30am and I’m well hacked off. I’ve never bought into the stuff that they’re rotten patently that garbage equally they’ve got poorer post Brenda. I don’t quite see why Lennon staying is bad he did poorly at Bolton but did okay at both the scum and Hivs.
They’ve got fewer better players than us but they have a few.

Equally the quality over quantity statement from SG is clearly not the case. I’ve thought that stopping 9 was a long shot I honestly think it’s now unlikely. As in a real long shot hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so.

It was Goldson's pass that was intercepted. Jack stood off Johnston and let Edouard behind him. Katic was a split second late playing offside instead of covering the run.

A combination of mistakes and that was basically the difference in the game, for all people are saying how poor we were.

Treat Brown the same way European teams do, dribble round him like he's a cone.

A lot of us myself included saw the two games at Ibrox last season as us finally making this over rated clown look the bang average plastic hardman he is , we had him passing the ball into the stands and falling all over the place .

Today we saw the return of a weak willed Rangers letting him strut around and boss it again , Fcking aghast at us allowing that .

Unacceptable today not losing but the manner of the defeat .

A golden opertuninty missed they are a poor team and boy did we f..k up not playing Alfredo they were there for the taking today sadly we never turned up.

Airfield is a really big player for us so can understand why he started, but he’s off form - whether it’s due to too many games I don’t know, but he’s not playing well just now. He looked absolutely goosed when Tcham went past him.

Headed to the game today pretty confident but it started to go down hill when fell flat on my face at a set of traffic lights at the top of prw,
I think that was a sign of things to come,Bad day at the office for the Bears but the lads I was traveling with had something to laugh about on the way back down the road,
No bevy by the way I was the designated driver.

Insipid performance today. They waited for the inevitable defensive mistake and it duly arrived. They played this like an away Euro tie and time wasted all over the place. Madden let them. One of the breaks was approx 5mins ffs. Players you let EVERYONE DOWN. Too many passengers and once again we let them get the lead on us now chasing. Hope SG has the balls to drop Goldson after this.

For me today was 90% a team selection issue. No wingers when the stricken choice thrives on crosses. With that midfield Alfie should have been natural choice. Then we give them a goal of a start and only three of our players turn up. Davis, Flanagan and McGregor for me. Very poor. Hope SG realises his error. However, on a positive note I would rather have this result now and not at the last OF game of a season which we need to win this title.

Insipid performance today. They waited for the inevitable defensive mistake and it duly arrived. They played this like an away Euro tie and time wasted all over the place. Madden let them. One of the breaks was approx 5mins ffs. Players you let EVERYONE DOWN. Too many passengers and once again we let them get the lead on us now chasing. Hope SG has the balls to drop Goldson after this.
Agree. Goldson needs dropped. Too many errors from him end up a goal.

Totally sick to the pit of my stomach after that. Can’t bring myself to analyze the game. Wrong line up and it went sour from there. The one thing I will say is the mentally challengeds didn’t look anything great, but we failed to put them under any pressure. They caught us twice on the counter (which is a worry) but although they were comfortable in their game plan, they looked far from unbeatable, so we can’t let this affect us psychologically.

We need to rest, recouperate, and get back to the free flowing attacking football we’ve played this season up till this point. We need to treat every game until we meet them again as a cup final and take maximum points. A win at the piggery is now needed.

I wish the board and gaffer would have a re-think on Kent and put in a bid before the window closes. Although Ojo and Jones have talent, Kent is a step up for me on both and could make a big difference for us

Gutted, was so confident going into the game. Ryan jack and Tav gave away so many easy balls. Also it looked to me as if Aribo was scared first half, he was imo 2 yards off the game.

Hats off to big John Flanno, he’d slide tackle his granny for Stevie g and the team!

I’m looking forward to the next game to see how the players respond and to see the character of the new players, especially Aribo, cause no doubt he is talented. But you need more than talent in the big games at Ibrox.

We have the players and the management to win the league, we just need to use them correctly.

We've got Arfield playing in the front 3 to accommodate Aribo in the middle. Arfield was easily one of our best players last season when he played in the midfield 3 and made runs from deep but we've undone that to make room for Aribo. Put Arfield back into the position where he caused so much damage.

Aribo struggled today, he's been told to get beyond Defoe and overrun the bheasts CBs just like Arfield did in our last game against them. I'd prefer Aribo to sit a bit deeper and keep us ticking and let Arfield do the hard running through the middle.

I also feel the gaffer is asking Defoe/Morelos to do too much. I can understand the rationale behind it, a free flowing front 3 that makes it hard for the defence to keep them marked. Defoe has decent link up play and Morelos makes a good target man so the ball sticks up front when we put it there. The problem for me is these guys are out and out goalscorers and they should be lurking around the 6 yard box to take any chances that come our way. Defoe done all his work outside the box today and that's not where he's most effective.

A small nuance I have, Davis taking corners on the right side. The ball swerves away from goal. I can't understand why you wouldn't get the ball swinging in towards the 6 yard box with a line of players putting pressure on the defence and keeper.

Tav was awful today, can't even explain that performance. He was several gears off the pace today, not what you expect from a Rangers captain. Rangers captains should lead by example, that's why they're the captain. He needs to sort it out pronto.

I can't help but feel we missed Candeias today. Tav misses him too.

Gerrard treated them with too much respect today and when it was clear that it wasn't working he took too long to make the changes required.

We couldn't have asked for a better chance at the tramps across the road and we've only gone a fucked it. It's a sickener for us.

I’m still about 45 minutes from home; it’s a hell of a round trip to have watched a performance like that. Tepid, listless and shapeless is how I’d describe us today.

Started well, but lost a couple of personal battles (Aribo shiting out of a tackle with Brown was the polar opposite of Halliday’s tackle on Ntcham in December, in attitude and effect) and then our passing went to shit. Even Jack’s, usually reliable, passing was way off (although I’ll give him credit and say that he won the ball back after pretty much every occasion it was intercepted) and even when we were finding our men, it was pedestrian and purposeless.

Hopefully manager and players will have learned from today, there were plenty of lessons.

It was one of our worst performances as a team.
But I take some good from it.
The mentally challengeds played like some mid table SPFL team. All time wasting and niggles.
As bad as we were I saw them much more worried about us than we them.
Me, I’d have started with our quickest most direct side.
We should have won that
This , this and this again.
I wondered before the game if some of ours would play the occasion rather than what was in front of them. Aribo will be better for the experience. Gerrard making the change at half time was an acknowledgement he got it wrong. We’ll run them close this year

I’m a massive fan of Gerrard and hope he is here for years to come but today was 100% his fault. He got it all wrong.

I'm worried that we didn't lay a glove at home on their makeshift defence and a goalkeeper that has only played twice since last year

Manager got the tactics wrong. A Celtic team with very poor fullbacks and nobody on the pitch from kick off who can attack those areas and try to exploit them.

A golden opertuninty missed they are a poor team and boy did we f..k up not playing Alfredo they were there for the taking today sadly we never turned up.
This isn’t a personal dig at you mate, but I’m sick to the back teeth of reading about how they’re a “poor team”. I must admit I bought in to the hype about them being mince in defence and I went into today’s game more confident than I’ve been in the last 7 years against them.

Their RB the Israeli guy is meant to be a CH I was told

They spunked £7m on the French dud I was told

They have a CM playing at CH in Biton

And Boli is meant to be an absolute bomb scare

Granted we weren’t at our best today, but I saw zero signs of any duds in that back 4. The big guy who got man of the match strolled through that game without breaking sweat!

If we’d played more direct at the wingers and started with Buff then who knows what would’ve happened, maybe we’d have seen their weaknesses first hand, or maybe they’d still have been as assured as they showed today. It’s too late now for speculation as to what could have been, but fcuk me it’s the last time I’ll be allowing myself to be carried away by posts on forums (and not just this forum btw, our other fans forums all said the same).

Perhaps it’s time to admit that they’re not as bad as we make out. I’m not saying they’re Barcelona, but clearly they’re not the sh1t team that everyone made out.

One more point before I get to bed and put this day behind me, I now have serious concerns about this EL campaign. I’ll use Arfield as an example, he’s looked extremely leggy for a couple of weeks and could do with a rest. And he’s not the only one. 4 weeks into the new season and players need a break. That’s extremely worrying when we’ve got Thursday / Sunday games to contend with sporadically over the next few months. Our lack of quality for squad rotation could be an issue. It’s a real double edged sword. We’re going to make a hell of a lot of money having progressed for the EL, but it could seriously hamper our league campaign unless the gaffer is willing to keep his best 11 for league matches and ‘sacrifice’ the EL group stage matches which is how I would be approaching it.

Anyway, it’s been a shit day bears, but be thankful that when you wake up tomorrow morning, you’ll still be a blue nose.

WATP

The most hurtful thing about today is that wound was totally self inflicted. The only positive is that they are as crap as we thought. If we had set up and played as we have been we would have beat them. When they got look at our teamsheet they must have thought Christmas had come early.

Not long in from Ibrox, feeling gutted, flat and frustrated.
Gaffer picked the wrong team today, the earls changed their tactics, high energy close us down, force us to make mistakes and play on the break, Euro away leg style. No football played, a midfield melee.
It worked to a T for them and we allowed it to happen

Why the %^*& did he try and think he was a tactical genius with changing the formation ?! Instead of just going with what’s been working and what would of punished them! Absolute stupidity

Back