MOTM Poll Rangers v Hibernian - 12:30 Boxing Day - Sky Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
Uch, it was probably a penalty. But maybe the decisions are finally going to start evening themselves out now? We're still due a good few more in that case.
If the ref deemed that a foul, would Hibs not get an indirect foul inside the box as opposed to a penalty for dangerous play. Maybe an outdated rule.

Thought that was the worst we have played all season.

Luckily I thought Hibs where poor aswell.

Still 12 wins in a row......
Well then to come away with 3 points in our ‘best of the rest’ toughest test when we’ve played the worst we have all season is surely a positive sign.

IF (big if) we are to go on and win the title, it’ll be for long slogging kick-fests like today.

I think the ease of some of the early games where we’ve racked up 3 points and numerous goals are gone now. Time to go into the trenches for the remainder of the season and show our mettle!

We saw it out despite Hibs having a go at us in the second half. I'm disappointed a wee bit that we didn't test their keeper from outside the box and that we couldn't replicate the fast interchange of passes that got us our goal. But it's another game played and another 3 points in the bag and it's all about Wednesday now.

Let's all enjoy our Boxing Day :))

It was a shocker even with the conditions. We were on the back foot so often when it wasn't required. So often we got the ball and just couldn't get anywhere. Hibs played with 10 men behind the ball and still created more chances that us. Put our defence under a lot more pressure than we did theirs.

Thankfully our quality shone through and some good play between Roofe and Hagi resulted in a goal.

To suggest our performance wasn't horrific would be to suggest the weather only affected us and not the spoonburners.

I have no idea what game you were watching. It certainly wasn’t the Rangers/Hibs game this morning. That was a tough, evenly balanced match, and it’s insulting to Hibs to say they had 10 men behind the ball, and 3 stops on the line by them suggests it’s insulting to us to say they had more chances. Hard 3 points but don’t be overly dramatic about it.

To be fair, a fellow poster mentioned about the potential weather conditions a couple of days ago. He was rounded on by a few.

To anyone that's played football you will know that weather conditions can be a tremendous leveller.

Despite that, Rangers won. Their keeper kept them in it. And only our collective anxiety at dropping points suggested that Hibs might take something more from the game.

Onwards. Let's go.

Another 3 pts, another shut out, another game less, only downside Arfield going off.

Roll on Wednesday for this happy Bear.

If the officials had been waiting for a chance to %^*& us that was a big chance to do so today, they're just poor at their job, I don't believe they're corrupt, just poor at their job.

Massive 3 points played within ourselves and took our chance.
Over the game Hibs had 1 shot on goal, we have worked on that and gives us the platform for when we do score

Uch, it was probably a penalty. But maybe the decisions are finally going to start evening themselves out now? We're still due a good few more in that case.

I don’t think any contact was made, and so an indirect free kick could have been awarded. I can’t imagine for a moment that Collum would have missed a chance to give a penalty against Rangers.

I have no idea what game you were watching. It certainly wasn’t the Rangers/Hibs game this morning. That was a tough, evenly balanced match, and it’s insulting to Hibs to say they had 10 men behind the ball, and 3 stops on the line by them suggests it’s insulting to us to say they had more chances. Hard 3 points but don’t be overly dramatic about it.
For got sake - I've already rescinded my comment. Why is there no delete option.

I followed up with it just seemed we were under a lot of pressure at times. OK, that alright??? Hibs did not have more chances, they did not get more shots on goal. None of that happened... I get it.

Tav ones were never a pen for us or them.
Hagi one surely indirect free kick for dangerous play.
What a disappointment for the bheasts, they must have been convinced we were going to drop points.

Really? At first watch it looked like a penalty to me, the replays made it look an absolutely stonewaller. He’s nowhere near the ball and clearly clips Tav’s leg, tripping him up.
If Tavernier hadn’t tried to keep going, and just fallen instead, I’m convinced we would have got the decision.
I don't like the phrase but I'm going to use it anyway it would have been 'a soft pen' as it was more of an indirect free kick to me (what ever happened to indirect free kicks in and around the box because it was a technical infringement but not necessarily a foul?).

On the other hand though the Porteous challenge on Roofe was most definitely a penalty. He's goes over the top of the ball connects with Roofe to bring him down and lands on top of the ball to come away with it.

Very good 3pts. That was a battle but comfortable in the end and the stats confirm that
Wouldn't call that comfortable under any circumstances. We'd have been screaming for the penalties they didn't get - well certainly the high foot one anyway, For once Collum was equally shite for both sides!

Thought today was one of Aribo's best for us. Don't think he lost the ball at all before the last few minutes. Superb at keeping the ball in tight spaces and breezed past players for fun. Excellent performance and MOTM by a distance for me.

As much as they didn't really create much, that was the best team we've faced domestically IMO. Thought Goldson at the back was superb and he probably had to be today.

A big, big win for us and very promising to see wins coming in all different ways just now.

The biggest favour Collum did us was allow play to go on when we scored. Their defender, Dogic? was it, was all over Aribo holding, pulling, shoving before the ball got through to Roofe..
Yes he held on to Aribo and swung him around to keep him away from the play it was Gogic's second bookable offence and he should have been sent off.

Good result today.

if the score had finished 3 or 4-1 Hibs couldn’t really complain. I could see that penalty given to them at other times.

Keepers made 3 good saves and we’ve had another cleared off the line.

Wouldn't call that comfortable under any circumstances. We'd have been screaming for the penalties they didn't get - well certainly the high foot one anyway, For once Collum was equally shite for both sides!
A quick look at the Laws of the Game from IFAB suggests that it would only have been a penalty kick/direct free-kick if contact was made. There was no contact made by Hagi and Newell was 'at it' with his head-holding nonsense. I'd concede that it was dangerous play, however without contact. The appropriate decision, therefore, would have been an indirect free kick. Looks perfectly clear to me so can we skip the 'definite penalty' nonsense from some please.

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:
  • plays in a dangerous manner
  • impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made
  • is guilty of dissent, using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures or other verbal offences
  • prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it
  • commits any other offence, not mentioned in the Laws, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player
Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.

Laws of the Game | IFAB (theifab.com)

Not a word said about the hiv player falling down - clutching his face (after a moments delay) when the replay from a side angle shows Haji's high boot didn't touch him

A quick look at the Laws of the Game from IFAB suggests that it would only have been a penalty kick/direct free-kick if contact was made. There was no contact made by Hagi and Newell was 'at it' with his head-holding nonsense. I'd concede that it was dangerous play, however without contact. The appropriate decision, therefore, would have been an indirect free kick. Looks perfectly clear to me so can we skip the 'definite penalty' nonsense from some please.

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:
  • plays in a dangerous manner
  • impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made
  • is guilty of dissent, using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures or other verbal offences
  • prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it
  • commits any other offence, not mentioned in the Laws, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player
Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.

Laws of the Game | IFAB (theifab.com)
Aye and as we know the referees always consult the rulebook before they give a decision!! Have you seen any of the VAR decisions down south?? We got away with that one mate - if Collum had given it no rulebook was going to stop him.

Aye and as we know the referees always consult the rulebook before they give a decision!! Have you seen any of the VAR decisions down south?? We got away with that one mate - if Collum had given it no rulebook was going to stop him.
I don't dispute that if the referee gives it we can't stop it. However, we didn't 'get away' with anything at all. It wasn't a penalty. Fact, as the t'internet cool kids like to say. Had Collum given it then he would have been wrong. He should probably have given an indirect free kick though.

I don't dispute that if the referee gives it we can't stop it. However, we didn't 'get away' with anything at all. It wasn't a penalty. Fact, as the t'internet cool kids like to say. Had Collum given it then he would have been wrong. He should probably have given an indirect free kick though.
yes ok to rephrase - we got away with Collum not giving it. With the benefit of replays he shouldn't have cos no contact, but real time he could have got away with giving it. Quite surprised he didnt take the opportunity.

Important three points with two of our best players out of sorts today imo(Tav and Kent).

I'll take that all day long.

Great 3 points today, we are not at our best but still winning league games, last season that would probably have ended up a draw. Onto the next game on Wednesday, one game at a time.

Important three points with two of our best players out of sorts today imo(Tav and Kent).

I'll take that all day long.

I missed the St Johnstone game but the last three games iv watched both Tav and Kent seem a wee bit out of sorts. In Tavs case I suppose it bad to happen as his consistency this season has been quite remarkable.

Reactions: cav
Massive three point, and we coped well with a bit of constant pressure. I will settle for that every day of the week.

We know the press and Sportscene will be full of Hibs being denied a penalty, but we are used to it now.

Well done Rangers, onwards and upwards.

A big 3 points for us today, against the 2nd best team in the League. These points keep the Juggernaut rolling along nicely.
Win against St Mirren, and it sets up the Game against the Yahoo as a title decider.

I missed the St Johnstone game but the last three games iv watched both Tav and Kent seem a wee bit out of sorts. In Tavs case I suppose it bad to happen as his consistency this season has been quite remarkable.
They've definitely dropped the levels a wee bit of late from their capabilities.

St. Boo and the dhims games would be a great time to hit top form again though.

Delighted with the win. That was always going to be difficult but we really ought to have been a couple ahead with the chances we had.

Fingers crossed we right that wrong on Wednesday another tough game.

Back