Match Thread ** Rangers v Kilmarnock - 15:00 Saturday 17th - RangersTV.tv **

We've been slow in the build up due to their shape, our wingers have been man-marked out of the game, save for a few flashes. Our wing backs have been defending, and Goss and Docherty haven't done a lot. Windass has had few touches, but he's looking for space that is rarely available. He can't play his usual game, so gets the customary "man down" assessments here. We are missing Morelos massively. Cummings is an instictive finisher, but he's not a striker who can hold up the ball and bring others into play. Our defence has looked comfortable, which is understandable. We'll still win.

Cummings cannot play up front himself. He needs to play off someone.

We are clueless today because we have no out ball. Morelos would be in the positions to win some balls but hey the manager has dropped him.

It will be interesting to see what the people who felt it was the right decision to drop him think now. Badly miss them.

It’s true. I’m amazed so many couldn’t see this coming though. Cracking finisher, but he can’t hassle and drag the defenders all over the place like Morelos can. That’s key to creating the space we need for Murty’s preferred system.

Absolutely bizarre change from him.

i think this half illustrates how important Morelos is to the way we play, a lot of the time when they press we play it long and when Morelos plays there is always a very good chance he will bully the defender and retain the ball from the long ball, Cummings is not that kind of player he needs the ball into feet and we aren't used to having to play to his style yet IMO we have to be calmer in defence and midfield in retaining the ball deep and not just the punt it to Morelos tactic we do when we are pressed, becuase when we play cummings we dont have that option

Really flat today- looks like a low-point Warburton performance, slow on the ball, everyone looking for 4- 5 touches on the ball before making a pass.
No snap or bite in the midfield.
Murty standing like a dummy on the side chewing his zip again.

The whole thing needs an injection of attitude. I’d stick on Holt, maybe Morelos, take off Docherty or Goss, probably Cummings too at this point.

Anybody else think we would get much more from Murphy if he was in the 10 role?

He looks dangerous most times he has the ball and has a bit of composure unlike Windass.

Take windass off bring holt on to play beside goss n docherty. Move Murphy inside and push John forward a bit more.

I reckon the players are still suffering the hangover disappointment from last week. All huff and puff and no decent final ball. If we're subbing Windass, then do it now and allow Alfie a full 45 minutes to harrass their back line.

This is a big test for Murty, I really don’t think he can afford to slip up again.

He needs to makes changes that impact the game but would not be surprised if it keeps it the same until his usual 70th minute

The other issue I have with this decision to drop Morelos is, I think it could well damage his confidence. Dropping him after last week essentially makes him look like the scapegoat, as tough he’s the culprit for defeat.

I'd tend to agree with this. I think he's the kind of player who just needs to play to get over it. He contributes far more to the team other than goals anyway.

Dunno why Murty went for the same formation, we all knew how Kilmarnock would set up.

Because we scored 6 against Ayr and 3 against Falkirk and therefore you can’t change anything, even if we are playing Celtic or a Killie .

Well I’m shocked Goss off for Holt!!!!!

Not only would I take Windass off for Morelos, id stick Holt on for Candeias or Murphy. Change of shape required or we'll struggle to get enough ball to create chances

He should stop missing sitters from a yard out then shouldn't he.
Morelos playing wouldn’t solve how clueless we’ve been the last 15-20mins of that half there.

He needed a break and who knows just how that miss has affected his mental preparation for the next game.

Murty’s tactics are the more pressing issue not his decision to drop Morelos

I reckon the players are still suffering the hangover disappointment from last week. All huff and puff and no decent final ball. If we're subbing Windass, then do it now and allow Alfie a full 45 minutes to harrass their back line.

Even the huff and puff is lacking- looks like someone gave them all some nice warm milk before they came out....

This has been a predictable lack lustre first half everyone knew how Killie would line up under clarke - we look like we are struggling for ideas to break them down.

Surely we will switch to 4-4-2 at some point if this is not working early in the second half ?

Well yeah because dropping him has worked a treat hasn’t it?
The problem appears to be that Murty doesn't know how to utilize his players outwith his preferred tactic. Unfortunately like our previous two managers he appears to only have one he really wants to work with. Morelos did miss too many sitters and under normal circumstances (a manager with several tactics to pick from) it would perhaps have been the right thing to do. Simply dropping him and putting Cummings up front on his own has and wasn't going to work. I think Cummings is doing what he can and has still got a couple of chances.

Murty needs to change it at half time. Not on 70 mins like he always does.

Good to see Holt on.

Morelos has still scored the same amount he has in his previous two starts.

Well the point so many are making and what others are seemingly now realising is he brings a lot more than goals.

So again, it’s worked a treat hasn’t it? We were brilliant there, cut them apart and his favoured players ran riot.

This has been a predictable lack lustre first half everyone knew how Killie would line up under clarke - we look like we are struggling for ideas to break them down.

Surely we will switch to 4-4-2 at some point if this is not working early in the second half ?

442 with only 2 midfielders on the park?

Greg Taylor the Killie left back is one we need to keep an eye on. Massive Bear, ex-Rangers youth player, highly rated in the Scotland youth teams.

Murty really is the second coming of Warburton, isn’t he?

Even if we win this, I don’t think I’m ever going to be convinced by the guy.

Latest posts

Back