Match Thread Rapid Wien v Rangers - 17:55 Thursday - BT Sports

The downward spiral in this team is what's worrying me. We have players left behind because they are not in the right frame of mind. And most of the ones that do play seem to treat it like a kickabout on a Sunday afternoon. We need to get in players that want to play and want to win. Giving guys like McAuley one last pay day is not the way forward, neither is signing ex players who are well past their best.

Let's face it, we are not a particularly good team and we have pretty much punched above our weight in Europe. A disappointment that we went out, but to think that we could have made it into the knockout stages of the EL considering where we were is an achievement. SG must be desperate for the window to open. Let's hope we get the money to improve in a few positions.

Some of the posts on here, man...Reality check needed by some, big time.

Too cautious for most of the game. So we let the game boil down to the last few rounds - and we lost. Somehow we contrived to get beaten by a lesser team again. Quite often we find a way to get a bad result in games we should be winning. However winning away from home is hard for any Rangers team in Europe. The fact we are disappointed is a good sign of our progress.

A few pieces of this jigsaw still missing but this has been a good display in Europe by a very young team.

Although I must just mention this: ...if our play is going to be based on crossing lots of balls into the box - then get a player for that position who can header a fcuking ball!

We've not punched above our weight. We look reasonably comfortable at this level and should be encouraged because we'll only get better.

Our recent form is worrying me
We started very well, but seem to have run out of puff at one of the most vital parts of the season. The constant tinkering with the starting line up has been detrimental, but fighting on both fronts (domestic & European) has highlighted our lack of depth and real quality. That's going to take a few windows and a fair injection of capital to address ...... as well as a huge dose of the most elusive quantity of all - patience.

I normally avoid matchday threads like the plague (through experience) but joined this one tonight just for the hell of it.
After a defeat or even a draw this place would be just insufferable but I'm actually quite surprised and happy to see that there's a lot less panty wetting going on and a large majority of fans are being realistic of what we've achieved.
Of course we're all disappointed but we've come a long long way from where we were last season and that HAS to be applauded!

I don't know why I punish myself by reading some of the guff on the match thread.

We weren't poor tonight, not by a long shot.

As disappointed as I am, we played some decent stuff.

A far cry from the utter dung I've witnessed over the last 6 years.

We don't have enough quality in depth to be missing Kent & Candeias unfortunately – if those two are available we win the game.

my god our expectations have really dropped, that team were crap and there for the taking
Yes they were, as were Spartak.
I’m sure we all know this and that, when all is said and done, we weren’t good enough.
We’ve blown a great opportunity.

Teammlook shot of confidence and completely worn out

I discussed this the other day with some friends about the amount of running and tempo in games may have worn a few out and given some of the passing, pace and lack of ideas you could be right? Hopefully they have not entirely lost their confidence and are now free to concentrate and give their all in the league?

I don't know why I punish myself by reading some of the guff on the match thread.

Even the two or three years preceding this one.

Last edited:
Dropped from what exactly?? What expectations did you have at the start of this campaign??
we are just happy just to be in the group stages, tell me that we shouldnt be beating them, they are no better than a spfl mid table team

do what i do, come in after the game have a quick read and leave it or you end up saying stuff you wouldn't normally.

gutted we are out but happy we got here and we can only get better.

We didn't lose Europa tonight, we lost it via the Spartak games. 2 games we should have taken more than 1 point from.

The lack of attempts on goal is worrying me more than the overall results tbh.

We lost it in the last 2 home games. Tonight there were 10 heroes, and it was a brilliant performance. When we get someone that can pick defences apart, we will be a proper force. On to 55!

I would wholeheartedly agree with thus but fans get frustrated and lash out, there is no point trying to rationalise with them, leave them to their anger and talk tomorrow! I've already been banned for less!
I agree with you!
I just find the negativity hard to take, especially when, underneath it all, there is so much to be positive about.
We’re light years ahead of last season, for example.
So much so that even Gordon Strachan said we were still two years behind the scum.
Which is a lot closer than the decades and the light years we read about not too long ago.

We were decent against a poor side, but struggled to create chances. That's the problem

I thought Borno and Ross M made a big difference until the ran out of steam. Can't wait until they are both match fit. We have been exceptional in Europe and made a lot of money out of the run. Dropping the Kat was my only disagreement with S.G. They were physically stronger than us and more technical, a fair result i.m.o even though unwanted. Yet again it showed our lack of creativity in midfield. Ryan Gauld is available, most definitely worth a shout and we can afford him. We are not back yet but were are getting closer. Patience bears S.G will get us there.

It wasn't really, though. The outcome is extremely disappointing. But overall it was a decent European away performance.

as a game of football it was awful to watch

we needed to WIN that match, at no point did we look like we were even interested in doing that

if you are going to go down, go down fighting

that team were mediocre and we barely put an effort on target

Yes, I agree the last two games were shite, but they have been untypical.

We are going to games now expecting to win.

I don't know about you but until this season I was going to games hoping to win and certainly not expecting it.

We'll continue to improve.
Oops, I meant “seasons”.
Post edited.

All the focus now is on Hamilton on Sunday and domestically give it all we've got mate.

After Hamilton I think the two Hibs games will be the measure of how we are progressing. If anyone thinks we are a shoe in to get anything from the mhanks game they are deluding themselves.

If things go pear shaped we can always try and entice Steve Clarke or McInnes again which will please some of the so called Rangers support on here.

I dont think you can say we played well weve been pretty bang average.

All about opinions. Controlling possession in a European game away from home, we played some nice football, just a lack of quality and creativity in the final third that let us down.

I'm disappointed we're out but proud of how well we've done in Europe. SG has had one transfer window to work in and has restored our credibility in Europe.

We started very well, but seem to have run out of puff at one of the most vital parts of the season. The constant tinkering with the starting line up has been detrimental, but fighting on both fronts (domestic & European) has highlighted our lack of depth and real quality. That's going to take a few windows and a fair injection of capital to address ...... as well as a huge dose of the most elusive quantity of all - patience.

At the end of the day we can't all be overly disappointed at being put out the Europa League, we far exceeded my European expectations for this season just by getting to the group stage.

Now tho, we need to get Europe out of our system fast and concentrate on getting our heads right for a sustained assault on this league. I'm confident we will add 1 or 2 players in January that will improve our starting 11. As long as we give it a right go untill the end of the season I will be happy.

It was always going to take Gerrard a couple of summer transfer windows to get us to a level that he would be happy with. Now it's just about adding that creative element to the team that we are badly needing. I know he will find us the right players.

Lets get a grip. Lost key players, Ejaria chucked his toys out and has possibly disrupted squad harmony, not ideal preparation.

And we are having a hissy fit that we narrowly lost in Europe away from home to just, and i mean just, miss qualifying FROM the group stage.

Hands up who remembers the level we have been playing at since 2011.

Hands up who watched us in the third division on dark December days.

Lets just get a grip, yes this is hard to take, yes we expect better. But it will take more time and more transfer windows.

Back