Match Thread Rapid Wien v Rangers - 17:55 Thursday - BT Sports

Middleton did nothong the whole of the second half....should have been subbed....why no attacking kids on the bench when we needed a win

All this Spartak are shite, Rapids are shite. They probably are but what does that say about us?
A game we needed to win we have had one shot on target.
Previous two league games we couldn't beat 10 men.
Maybe just maybe we are shite
We are average. It’s fairly clear now. We will go through the same arguments as the last few years on here with one side claiming this and the other that. We are average. The rest of December will just prove that, no matter what arguments you hear tonight. I’ve seen enough false dawns to last me a lifetime to spot another one.

Our decision making is shocking and Gerrard not acting sooner didn't help either.

Tav gives the ball away easily in an attacking situation which leads to them clearing the ball. Picked up by McGregor who needlessly gives them the ball back. They then score. No need for it though!

But it was all night long. Taking too many touches in good positions, the inability to pass the ball 5 yards.

But all in all this was a terrible Vienna team who created one chance all night and we gave them a helping hand in the win, like to we did to Spartak.

Gerrard brought on Grezda and Lafferty and, briefly, we looked more threatening. Why wait so long to make the subs? Our game plan clearly wasn't working in the second half.

A good opportunity just thrown away, I'm away for a lie down!

Looking forward to the next few days of grown men/women acting as if they were owed progression tonight and slating our players and manager, all while sitting on their arse, watching it on the telly and doing fück all.

Disappointed, missed opportunity,don’t think Gerrard or the players got what they deserved tonight or in the group in general.
2 games lost in 14 this season in Europe, Rangers managers with bigger budgets and better players than Gerrard has have done significantly worse in Europe.
Thanks for the run, onwards and upwards

Middleton did nothong the whole of the second half....should have been subbed....why no attacking kids on the bench when we needed a win
The sub was Grezda for Middleton until Jack was penalised just outside the box and we all thought he was off.

Given the qualifiers we’ve had to play it’s been a real journey. Can’t be too tough on the team as we are just building. We all know Villarreal and Rapid will get humped in the next game anyway.

Done well in Europe this season but it’s come at a cost playing three games in a week. Punched well above our weight. Now we can concentrate on league and cup business. Need to get behind the team domestically starting on Sunday. Let’s keep going and see where it takes us.

Ballocks to all the negativity - away and put your big girl pants on!

Progress is progress. The fact we are here, and in the mix in the league, is more than many of us expected.

We're still a couple of players away from where we need to be. Let's get to Jan, see who we get in and get behind them for the rest of the season.

No fucking surrender for this Bear!

Oh, so your in a bad mood,are you?
Toys out of the prom and all that.
Maybe you shouldn’t comment when you can’t control your emotions.
A football fan can't rationalise after a defeat, super, you're obviously the bigger man, well done you, its hard for some people to see the bigger picture. Game by game for most!

We are average. It’s fairly clear now. We will go through the same arguments as the last few years on here with one side claiming this and the other that. We are average. The rest of December will just prove that, no matter what arguments you hear tonight. I’ve seen enough false dawns to last me a lifetime to spot another one.
Spot on unfortunately. I think it will be hitting home for many after tonight.

You’re not in any moreva bad mood than anybody else bud.
Some though, can think beyond their noses.
Like I posted earlier, think back to July/ August, did you expect to get this far?

No, but expectations are not a static thing.

From the really promising start we made in the Group the opportunity was there to progress and we blew it. 4 points from the first 2 games and 2 points from the remaining 4 is never going to cut it.

If we were tearing it up domestically then it would be easier to take but I’m seriously downbeat about this team’s prospects at the moment. We look absolutely toothless and easy to play against and I’m pretty worried about that.

Put it another way, head to head.

V Villarreal: Rangers win on away goals.

V Rapid: Rangers win 3-2 on aggregate.

V Spartak: Rangers lose 4-3 on aggregate.

When you look at it that way, it just makes it all the more disappointing but at the same time, I'm quite proud of our efforts in Europe this year.

We won 1 game. It ain't knockout.

Those who say we have a team of honest triers are correct. They've gave 100% in Europe this year. We just don't have any creativity.

The hope now is we can cut the gap at the top of the league before the month is out.

On a plus side I think McCrorie showed he should be in the team ahead of Coulibaly. I don't understand SG's faith in the lad.

Bugger. Still, it shows how far we’ve come that we’re pissed off not to be in Europe after Xmas. So close but bollocksed it in the Spartak games.

Disappointing night but we could only dream of bring in this position at the start of the season and has been an unexpected money earner for the club.

Really need to get our act together domestically now starting on Sunday, no more 3 games a week and some fresh faces in January will help.

I don't think we were that bad tonight.

The frustration from me comes from that yet again when the pressure is on we fail.

Really hope Gerrard is the man to turn that around because we have not really felt like a team of winners since Walter left.

Back