Ronaldo v Ronaldo: who was the better Ronaldo?

Ronaldo v Ronaldo: who was better?

• Brazilian Ronaldo

Votes: 370 54.7%
  • Portuguese Ronaldo

Votes: 308 45.5%

• Total voters

The GOAT

Based purely on ability it's R9 - that's not up for debate. R9, even when decimated with injuries, had more talent than Christina Ronaldo.

In fact, let's be honest , Christina Ronaldo isn't even the top 20 players of all time when it comes to pure ability, hence why no-body outsider former coaches and team-mates ever pick him over Messi.

However, because Christina has played in some excellent teams and had a very good career, I understand why some pick him over R9. The Instagram generation loves those stupid celebrations and ridiculous free kick posing.

Wazza

Brazil had a sensational side in 2002, but Ronaldo was the star of the show scoring 8 times including two in the final and he went into that tournament with a lot to prove.

Compare that with Cristiano Ronaldo’s best effort with Portugal in 2016 when, with all eyes on him, he only managed a couple of goals all tournament then hobbled off after twenty minutes of the final which his teammates went on to win without him.

I think a big sign of true greatness is being able to deliver on the biggest stage when everyone’s expecting you to.
Always going to come down to goals at the end of the day with what most people remember. Ronaldo at the Euros was a constant threat that meant teams were always wary of him, meant who they played approached the match very different. Brazil at World Cup different kettle of fish, they were big favs at the last 4 and rightly so and proved they were far better - was not a good final was it, Germany were poor. I think Brazil would have won that World Cup without Ronaldo myself, their hardest match was England.

Clinton Baptiste

Brazil had a sensational side in 2002, but Ronaldo was the star of the show scoring 8 times including two in the final and he went into that tournament with a lot to prove.

Compare that with Cristiano Ronaldo’s best effort with Portugal in 2016 when, with all eyes on him, he only managed a couple of goals all tournament then hobbled off after twenty minutes of the final which his teammates went on to win without him.

I think a big sign of true greatness is being able to deliver on the biggest stage when everyone’s expecting you to.
I do agree to a point, can't even debate that R9 was one of the best ever, but one is a superstar in a team full of great players, and one is the only superstar in an average team and the wrong side of 30 years of age. Hard to make a direct comparison within these games. France made a rip roaring kunt of it and Portugal should never have won in a million years anyway.

JCDarcheville

read the question again mate, it was who was the better player not who's won more trophies, I'd also say 2 world cups trumphs whatever cr7 has won
The two things are directly linked. Cristiano has played more games, scored more goals (including per game) and won everywhere he’s been at the pinnacle of football. The records, which are the best indicator of ability are nowhere close.

cooperman

Because they had to reach the final and he played a big part in that, it wasn’t a one off match winning France 2016, your own opinion that he was average throughout - I never felt that at all.

Be very surprised if Ronaldo himself thinks he played a key part in Brazil winning the World Cup in 1994 when he never played a minute there (the whole Tournament you know, not just the final) - do you think he played a bigger part in 94 than the other one did in Portugal winning France 2016?
I'd say cr7 did more in the euros than r9 did in 94 by a baw hair, as cr7 was pretty mince in that tournament, you seem to be judging on what the ronaldos have won rather than the way they play, on a pure footballing sense and at their peak, r9 is the better player in evey way

Wazza

if you watch this from 3:15, this is the match from 2016 v Croatia. Ronaldo is back helping defend in the final minutes of injury time (they really should have lost this) but starts the move off and then nigh on finishes it (should have scored really), fitness incredible really.

Wazza

I'd say cr7 did more in the euros than r9 did in 94 by a baw hair, as cr7 was pretty mince in that tournament, you seem to be judging on what the ronaldos have won rather than the way they play, on a pure footballing sense and at their peak, r9 is the better player in evey way
You do know Ronaldo never played a minute at USA 94 don’t you? That’s a fact that, you seemed to think he played in it! I actually think the Brazilian one was a better player at peak but overall feel the Portugal one was/is more important to the teams he played in.

cooperman

The two things are directly linked. Cristiano has played more games, scored more goals (including per game) and won everywhere he’s been at the pinnacle of football. The records, which are the best indicator of ability are nowhere close.
it's linked but not the only metric they should be measured by, if cr7 was so good then where's his world cup medals? how far did cr7 ever get in the world cup? a peak r9 can do everything a peak cr7 can do, but r9 did it better and with more flair, oh and he was one of the main reasons brazil won the 2002 world cup

JCDarcheville

it's linked but not the only metric they should be measured by, if cr7 was so good then where's his world cup medals? how far did cr7 ever get in the world cup? a peak r9 can do everything a peak cr7 can do, but r9 did it better and with more flair, oh and he was one of the main reasons brazil won the 2002 world cup
international football cannot be a fair barometer, it’s reliant on country of birth. Club football though is a measure of ability for sure, best players play for the best teams... and ignore trophies, Cristiano ahead on every metric.

cooperman

You do know Ronaldo never played a minute at USA 94 don’t you? That’s a fact that, you seemed to think he played in it! I actually think the Brazilian one was a better player at peak but overall feel the Portugal one was/is more important to the teams he played in.
I knew he did not play in 94 but he's still got a medal, my point being him not playing at all contributed as much as cr7 did in the euros, that's how mince he was at that tournament

Wazza

I knew he did not play in 94 but he's still got a medal, my point being him not playing at all contributed as much as cr7 did in the euros, that's how mince he was at that tournament
Haha, aye the two goals against Hungary in the final Group match when Portugal were bloody awful which meant they went through and ended up winning the Euros were sod all!

My Right Nut

Brazil Ronaldo played Man Unt off the pitch back in the late 1990's but CR7 has done that to a few teams over a longer spell so for me both up there but CR7 wins hands down for me
Early 2000s it was. Scored a hat-trick and was applauded off the park by the United fans, something that doesn't happen often. I think it was around the time Beckham went to Madrid (just before or just after).

Wazza

Early 2000s it was. Scored a hat-trick and was applauded off the park by the United fans, something that doesn't happen often. I think it was around the time Beckham went to Madrid (just before or just after).
Was 2003 wasn’t it, Real won League that season but didn’t again till 2007. Amazing with who was there.

cooperman

international football cannot be a fair barometer, it’s reliant on country of birth. Club football though is a measure of ability for sure, best players play for the best teams... and ignore trophies, Cristiano ahead on every metric.
yer cause the teams that cr7 played for don't ever splash the dough and buy the best palyers around to play with him??? ignore skill, speed, flair and general footballing dynamism, then yer cr7 is the better player

Reactions: KL2

P.W.B.14.RFC

Just voted on what I felt when watching either of them. Ronaldo was something no-one had really seen before I believe, he was built like a British style centre forward, quicker than everyone else at that moment & could finish from anywhere.

Cristiano Ronaldo's stats are ridiculous, whether a team played for him or not. He was a skinny sand dancing winger in 2003, from 2006 with Utd he became a complete forward. He didn't really score at his current rate 'til about 2007/08. But goals scored & trophies won can't be the deciding factor for me, or we'd be saying Gerd Muller was in the top 10 of all time.

Where would we have Cruyff, M Laudrup, Platini, Zico, Zidane, Baggio in a top 5 or 10 of all time. Who's goal scoring stats are no where near that of either Ronald's or Messi.

EverGer

Overall Cristiano but the real Ronaldo in his prime was one of the greatest players to ever play the game. I would never tire of watching him.

HandsomeHead

Just voted on what I felt when watching either of them. Ronaldo was something no-one had really seen before I believe, he was built like a British style centre forward, quicker than everyone else at that moment & could finish from anywhere.

Cristiano Ronaldo's stats are ridiculous, whether a team played for him or not. He was a skinny sand dancing winger in 2003, from 2006 with Utd he became a complete forward. He didn't really score at his current rate 'til about 2007/08. But goals scored & trophies won can't be the deciding factor for me, or we'd be saying Gerd Muller was in the top 10 of all time.

Where would we have Cruyff, M Laudrup, Platini, Zico, Zidane, Baggio in a top 5 or 10 of all time. Who's goal scoring stats are no where near that of either Ronald's or Messi.
Well put.

This is partly my problem with Cristiano Ronaldo being considered the best player of all time. I’ll be honest, I don’t think he’s anywhere near it. I genuinely wouldn’t put him in the top ten, which I know will send a few on here apoplectic with incredulity, but I think there has to be much more to that accolade than goalscoring prowess and winners medals alone, otherwise as you say Gerd Müller, Romario and one or two others would be up there too.

Or to put it another way, Kris Boyd has way more goals and winners medals than Alfredo Morelos, but who’s the more complete footballer?

Ke55y

Not even close for me Portugal ronaldo all day long the most complete all round player to ever grace the game literally nothing he can’t do would even fancy him to be good between the sticks

Clinton Baptiste

Ye would think we were comparing Filip Sebo with R9 with some of these comments. If you think R9 is the best then fine, but cant just right CR off as some no mark. Without doubt one of the best players ever regardless.

willowbankbear

Big Ronnie for me , he was awesomely brilliant , not just absolutely brilliant like cr7

CR7 is some player tho almost 20 years playing top level football , defo one of the top ten players of all time but big Ron for me is the king

unbelievablewalter

People who keep saying R9 in his prime. What would you pick as being the prime years of CR7? The guy has been the model of consistency and an absolute machine since 2006/2007.

O Fenemeno was phenomenal in 1997, and again maybe between 2002-04, but if there was one guy wanted to pick to play in your team for 15 years I think it's probably the guy who has scored over 700 goals between club and country since 2006

Bowery Boy

At 32 Ronaldo de Lima was preparing to go back to Brazil to wind down his career whilst CR at 32 won another Balon d’Or
That's because Ronaldo's knees blew up. The Ronaldo of Barca and his first year at Inter is levels above Cristiano at his peak. For me it isn't even up for debate. A lot of the people voting won't have seen him play.

change consent