Roofe wants a new contract

He said: “My future? Who knows? You’d need to ask the gaffer and people in control of the contracts.

“I’d like to stay, of course I would. I really like playing in this squad and under this gaffer. What he’s brought to the club is massive.

“He’s built a real machine mentality — we go again, it’s like a switch we have.

“We’re disappointed just now about Europe but we’ll recover and redouble our efforts. We have a Treble to go for this season and they could do the Quadruple next season.

“I truly believe that’s when you will see the results of his work.

“Everyone’s learning his style of play and what he wants, and it’s vice-versa with him.

“Once he gets a few injuries out of the system, then next season the machine should be really firing.

“It’s a great club, the fanbase is top. Being in competitions like the Champions League and Europa League is amazing

“So, for me, right now I’m just trying to play as many games as I can, do my best and help us get as many trophies as we can.”
legs like glass

Didn't we lose Helander on a free and then he managed a full season somewhere else? I'm not saying that's always going to apply but looking forward to the club being damned if they do or don't if he leaves and puts a run together.

He has been at Rangers for almost 4 seasons, and has scored some huge goals in that time. In his first 2 seasons he was a very good striker.

In the last 2 seasons he has scored 2 league goals, 4 goals overall.

He has played in 98 of the 225 games we've played since he's been here.

He is absolutely finished as a footballer at a club of our size, and I have doubts he could play at any decent level tbh.

He has offered absolutely nothing in his subs appearances since he's been fit again.
regarding the last point, that has been the case in a lot of cases when he has come back from injury and then he gets match fit and he's absolutely deadly.

Then the inevitable happens and he gets injured again.

In a parallel Universe he's scored 100+ goals for us in the 3 years he's been with us including tonnes of goals in Europe and a big dollop worth against the crash barriers.

Alas, we are in this reality and as good as he is we are left with someone that simply cannot stay fit longer than a 5 or 6 game period.

We squeeze whatever we can from him in the next month or so and part ways amicably both wishing things had been different.

Played a grand total of 768 minutes over the last 2 seasons or just under 13 hours , if wages are correct at 25k a week that's 2.6 million which works out at 200k and hour playing time.

You just know he's gonna do a Helander here.

We (rightly imo) don't offer a new contract due to his injury history. He goes elsewhere and gets an injury free run where he plays 30+ games a season and bangs them in.

I like Roofe and his quality if fit is not in question. But we shouldn't be taking the risk imo and parting if ways is the correct call.

He has to go well have Hagi and Danillo who both have injury worries last thing we need is Roffe adding to that list.

I couldn't care less if Roofe goes to another team and plays games, he's been a complete albatross to us for most of his time here

No chance, get him gone for a fee or nothing, don't care. can't string a decent run of games together. Thanks for your limited service mate, no longer required

Not a hope in hell of Roofe being offered a new contract. He has been injured more than he has played.

We need to move away from offereing contracts to players that cant keep themselves fit.

Roofe, Jack, Davies & Dowell all need hunted.

There are a few others that need to be monitored closley.

Matondo, Raskin, Lawrence, Cortes & Danilo

We need to be ruthless with the squad and try and build with a fit team.

Some above have been unlucky with picking up knocks and the likes but there is plenty in there that just cant seem to get fit, body doesnt allow it

It’s been mentioned many, many times on here and elsewhere. The “low salary, hefty appearance based bonuses” contracts used to justify taking a punt on a EPL star in their twilight years or someone injury prone just do not exist. Agents would never advise a client to sign one. A player themselves wouldn’t be daft enough to go for it. They just aren’t a thing and never have been.

As for renewing Roofe’s contract? No a chance! The last 2-3 years ave been comical in terms of his time out. An innocuous fall on the soft muddy turf of Hampden had it out for months, FFS!
They definitely are, plenty of players will be offered low wages (in comparison to their team mates) and they need to make the decision that either they play on that smaller contract for a year to earn a bigger increase or take the bigger wages at a smaller club and potentially shoehorn themselves into lower league mediocrity.

I agree that agents will advise against signing low wages contracts, they'll push for the most and big signing on fees, that's how they make their money. However, to suggest that contracts with large bonuses don't exist is rather absurd imo.

I feel for Roofe. It can't have been easy for a professional player to miss so much playing time due to injuries.

But there is no way he should be offered a contract. And deep down he must know that himself.

We could have two young, fit and hungry forwards for what the same cost as Roofe in the treatment room.

His goal vs Liege is probably the best Rangers goal in my lifetime. Great player when fit, but his injury record is an embarassment.

Sorry but no. One of the highest paid players in the squad and hardly plays. Probably the best finisher at the club but what's the point if you're on the treatment table 95% of the time? His body just can't compete with the demands here so needs to go, with our best wishes, and make what he can of the rest of his career elsewhere.

Back