Russia v Scotland Match Thread (**Please Stay on Topic**)

A huge problem with this team is the Scottish media’s fawning over the Celtic/former Celtic players who are massively overrated have largely never turned up in a Scotland shirt.

Agree with that.

Callum McGregor has hardly kicked a ball for Scotland in the last 6 games. His performance away to the worst side in our group, San Marino was lamentable.

James Forrest broke his Scotland duck last season and went on a wee scoring run but in the main he more often than not fails to deliver.

Agree with that.

Callum McGregor has hardly kicked a ball for Scotland in the last 6 games. His performance away to the worst side in our group, San Marino was lamentable.

James Forrest broke his Scotland duck last season and went on a wee scoring run but in the main he more often than not fails to deliver.

What I find wrong is the measure of a players ability on he runs about a lot, the media did this with Christie recently and similarly with Forrest but it achieves nothing.

Scotland are dung, no better or worse than when Eck was in charge, but what we won’t see is the witch hunt. Shameful. Still maybe we could appoint that slug Guidi instead.

Ridiculous analysis. The same sort of attitude that was shown to Gary Mac by the Tartan Army when he played for Scotland towards the end. He was playing with players in Scotland that were clueless or well past their prime, which in turn made him look awful. The runs McGinley etc. Were making for him were bizarre. He ended up retiring. Then much later signed for Liverpool and showed that with proper players making the right movements (being at an elite wavelength) he was still a formidable player. In hindsight it was the beginning of the end for Scotland as a reasonable team.
Thanks Gary.

With the ironic thing being with largely the same players on both sides Scotland won the next THREE encounters. It kind of puts tonight's dross into awful perspective.

Scotland won in 62, 63 and 64 because of the influence of Baxter. Plain and simple.

Incidentally,there were four Rangers players in all three of these encounters.

Steve Clarke had a good slagging of us on the final day of the season and the good lord is now hitting him and the SFA with a fine dose of you reap what you sow. Good bye Steve Clarke. Good bye.

Anyone able to put anything on the San Marino on Sunday on Willie Hills? Looks like they have suspended betting on it

Last edited:
Had

Russia -1
Russia -2

Scotland have taken the mantle from Celtic away in Europe, as the easy cash in for gamblers.

Back in 2012 when they voted us down which of them said this would benefit Scottish football and the national side in the long run?
A total lack of foresight from the clever people at the top to the spiteful lowlife at the bottom.
When they were foaming at the mouth i don't think they looked at the bigger picture.
All these clubs contributed to the state the national team is in just now.
Its not all to do with Rangers but sticking the boot in you gave yourselves nights like tonight.
Been said a good few times but hate is killing Scottish football and still they can't see it..

The Celtc-minded ones (their board / fans in SFA) who pushed for us to not be in the top league knew Scotland would fail all along.

But they did manage to retain some easy access to Champions League, unchallenged titles, and the money that comes with it. Their real plan worked.

The SFA should bite the bullet and go on their hands and knees back to Sir Walter.

Tell him that he can work as little as he likes just get the team back on track.

However i would fully expect Walter to tell them to piss off.

Steve Clarke is being found out big time. Absolutely fantastic.

it is glorious. A horrible, odious little creep who deserves his pain. I’m no fan of the international squad anymore, used to be years ago and might again one day but until the SFA wake up to their own hatred then I doubt that will be happening any time soon.

So that's two games now under Clarke where Scotland have completely fallen apart in the 2nd half of a match. Almost like doing pre season levels of fitness training during the season could have a negative effect on the players. Being "fitter" than everyone else doesn't make a difference when you're playing Belgium and Russia instead of Hamilton and St Mirren on a plastic pitch

I really don't know where we go from this. We are only not at the bottom because San Marino are in the group. Islands like Cyprus are overtaking us. Everyone wants to bury their head in the sand, too many people in the SFA that shouldn't be anywhere near there. Would still like to see us producing some Scottish players through our ranks and go onto full level for Scotland. The Tim players clearly can't do it

I disagree. Spurs lost 7-2 the other week yet have some decent players. Things can turn around and hopefully soon.

you could argue spurs are a team that are going through a terrible patch of form after some decent displays

these players are abysmal and prove it time and again

Let's play a game of "check the difference".

A bunch of fucking losers lose and the good man in charge is booted at the first possible opportunity..

A bunch of fucking losers lose and the poet in chief gets to bumblefuck his way through everything until he literally echoes the calls of the nazi's..

Jack Ross a decent shout. Give him until end of the play offs.

If we do that it needs to be a clean slate - as in it is made known that this (and even the next qualifiers) are only focused on developing the next squad to come through.

unless someone is exceptional none of the old rubbish get the "younger" players in to get them the experience of playing for the national team

As every qualifier goes by the standard of player gets worse,that's why scotland are where they are.
Scotland are the worst team of the home nations and are stuck between being better than the San marinos of this world and falling behind cyprus and Kazakhstan.
Yet,what do I hear last night. Out of the group already and the talk is abouting getting results against these teams to get momentum going for the play offs.
They wont qualify it's as simple as that,dont have the players to do so and to be honest they dont deserve to be there.
NI are in a hell of a group,still have a chance although very slim,Wales still in with a shout. Scotland have the worst run fa,a media who should be starting a campaign if they really cared to wipe out the current running of scottish football. Needs ripped up and started again. The fact is when you've never heard of some of the players starting for your national team,something's far wrong

Political agendas have put the Scottish Football League where it is. It’s just a by-product of the current situation in this hateful country.

Question them 24-7. Put them in situations where they have no answers. But who would do that?
We have no media in this country that has not got an agenda to follow. Control the media and you control the population.

It’s happened before our eyes and we’ve been too stupid to see it.
Spot on, you reap what you sow.

Qualifying for tournaments requires momentum, organisation and when possible a goal or two, all of which we have nothing of. What should be happening here is the building of a young squad for the next 6-10 years. But no it's the Charlie Mulgrews of this world that are still getting a game. From top to bottom the SFA are a joke

I don't really care about the national team these days, but they are a total embarrassment. Why the Tartan Army shell out money to go and watch that p1sh is beyond me.

The players don't give a %^*&.Playing diddies like Mulgrew also doesn't help.This is the worst run of results we've had but the sfa need to accept responsibility.Looking back getting rid of Strachan was a mistake.We actually improved with him.This now is getting past Vogts levels of shite.

I don't really care about the national team these days, but they are a total embarrassment. Why the Tartan Army shell out money to go and watch that p1sh is beyond me.
The bit they did on Scotland Today from Moscow,(where they talk about the tartan army in glowing terms and generally big them up about how wonderful they are representing Scotland) the three “foot soldiers” they interviewed were all absolutely blootered,pretty embarrassing:)

All the media know they are garbage,but keep their heads buried in the sand. I watched sportscene and listened to the nonsense being spoken and you can see they're trying not to laugh and try to pull the wool over the punters eyes.
The sooner someone has the balls to speak up and say what everyone knows the better.
It alright trying to stay positive but to tell a lie is no solution and it's being going on far too long.

The worst national team period.
Probably could only be compared to some of the dirt served up under Berti Vogt's experimental reign but even then there were players in those squads who dwarf anything we have now. And Berti was the last Scotland manager who actually managed to reach a play-off stage through the normal group qualification process.....

In the near 150 years Scotland have been playing international football this has to be the worst squad ever in the relative context of how football has developed. Obviously we had a head start on the rest of the world for the first 50 years or so and up until the 2000s we had a solid nucleus playing for us and them plus able to call on various other Scottish teams going through cycles of success (Hearts, Hibs, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen) as well as having plenty of players at the top level of English football who actually were important players and not just fillers and dross.

Combined with the collapse of the Communist Bloc and emergence of all these new countries in its aftermath Scottish football has been left behind at the bus stop long after the last bus of the day has gone. No idea of how to progress, how to make the national domestic product more attractive and no idea how to run a national team. An absolute shambles compounded by the fact its mentally challengeds and poets running things for the benefit of one club.

Them and this worst national team in our history are welcome to one another as far as I'm concerned.

Ridiculous analysis. The same sort of attitude that was shown to Gary Mac by the Tartan Army when he played for Scotland towards the end. He was playing with players in Scotland that were clueless or well past their prime, which in turn made him look awful. The runs McGinley etc. Were making for him were bizarre. He ended up retiring. Then much later signed for Liverpool and showed that with proper players making the right movements (being at an elite wavelength) he was still a formidable player. In hindsight it was the beginning of the end for Scotland as a reasonable team.

Don't buy it. On paper, McGinn should have been our best player last night, and in my opinion he was, by a country mile. He tried his best to make things happen. Robertson too should have stood out but he was dire, really dire.

The bit they did on Scotland Today from Moscow,(where they talk about the tartan army in glowing terms and generally big them up about how wonderful they are representing Scotland) the three “foot soldiers” they interviewed were all absolutely blootered,pretty embarrassing:)
Blootered, pishing in the street and flashing their cocks at passing women. And that's just the players. Tish-de-boom.

Tartan Army are an embarrassment. Not sure if they're more embarrassing than the Scotland team, but an embarrassment all the same. If Rangers fans behaved like them the press would have a field day.

Bertie Vogts record in actual competitive matches was

P13 W5 L4 D4

Including a qualifier play off v Holland.

I only watched the first half but the tactic of punting the ball up to Burke was never gonna work as it appears Burke has no idea how to header a ball.

Fortunately the masterstroke of subbing him for a 1st division player seemed to do the trick.

The media hacks have their man in place and now find that he's useless. They trumpeted Clarke as the messiah, and now their stuck with him.
It really is time fans of all Scottish clubs called time on the SFA, Spfl etc and the old duffers who run our game. Drastic change! starting with the removal of Petrie, a clown, unfit to be at the helm of Scottish football.

They are Scotland players when they play for Scotland. Barcelona and Real Madrid supporters have been known to support Spain. Boca Juniors and River Plate Argentina. It's not something that's unique here.
But do their supporters boo their own national teams players ?

Back