Russia v Scotland Match Thread (**Please Stay on Topic**)

Likewise. Easy money. Has there ever been a worse Scottish defence than that? Charlie Mulgrew might be the worse central defender I have ever seen. And to stand out in that way amongst his fellow defenders there isn’t easy. The goalie is a complete stiff too.

Watched the keeper in the slo-mo replays just to confirm what I was seeing in real-time, It was reactions or rather a lack of them at the first two goals ( was there more? I turned off at the second ) basically he had a clear sight of them and didn't react until the ball was about a yard from him you could see his mental reaction as his brain kicked in but by that time the ball was past him, IMO both were stoppable

Nothing to do with the Manager, its the Scottish FA organisation that are living in the dark ages and not pumping enough money into the game. Its destroying our country.

Forgot the game was on, but saw it was 0-0 and put it on. 3 goals, so switched it back over as I heard Norn Ireland were 1-0 up - 3 goals. At least Borna's team won by 3 goals but that was a painful half hour watching football.

Nothing to do with the Manager, its the Scottish FA organisation that are living in the dark ages and not pumping enough money into the game. Its destroying our country.
Nobody is putting any money in our game. One FA for the UK and one league system is what I wish for. Amateur and Junior Football is where the SFA belong and could do most good.

We possibly still do, im 48 now and even the poets I know aren't bothered about Scotland, it's not just us.

If Rangers fans turn their back on the national team, there aren't thousands of others ready to take their place. Celtic fans don't care and there aren't enough supporters of diddy teams to make up the shortfall.

I'd say that shortfall is pretty much evident at any Scotland home game at the minute.

Fraser, McGinn and McGregor are the only 3 "international quality" players in that side I'd say.
Robertson is definitely international quality.
The trouble is the rest of the defence.
Charlie Mulgrew is truly awful but Scotland has no-one else to call on.
There are too many holes in this team

I don't know why I bother, shitty FA shitty manager shitty players shitty system shitebags the lot of them. Won't be wasting another minute of my life on these perennial losers.

I'll say this and take the ban:

For at least 20 years we have almost all been saying the Scottish football needs ripped up and reformed.

However over that period there has also been a steady takeover of Scottish football by the poet. The game up here is being run for their benefit alone- poets (and their chosen friends) get jobs above their station at every level, from coaching to management to playing staff to administration of the game

Every year we sink further into international football mediocrity and it is directly a result of the poet influence. We'd be plodders without them at the top - with them our game is an abberation

Why would you need to take a ban for a well thought out, reasonable and well articulated opinion? There is absolutely nothing offensive in there.

People need to remember this is a forum sometimes. Gestapo levels of censure.

Must say, I thought Shankland looked confident. Had some really nice touches and lay offs but no support. Would like to see him start on Sunday and see what he can do.

Must say, I thought Shankland looked confident. Had some really nice touches and lay offs but no support. Would like to see him start on Sunday and see what he can do.

Scotland are at home to San Marino.

That means Clarke will start with a lone striker and try to keep it tight at the back.

I don't even know if I'm joking.

Choice of defenders is abysmal, and Harry Souttar has just been capped by Australia. Not saying he would be the answer now but he could have a decent future in the game

I posted the following on the Guidi thread, but it’s equally relevant in this thread

The entire set up, league structure, coaching of kids, SFA blazer chasers, no actual business people involved at the SFA or SPFL, standard of refereeing, youth facilities, I could go on and on.

I genuinely can’t see any prospect of any of this changing as it would need those in charge to vote themselves off their own gravy train.

Depressing state of affairs doesn’t even begin to cover it, and it’s no wonder so many fans (other than a few diddy club tits who are just looking for a bevvy overseas) have just switched off totally to Scotland’s national side.

I can recall at least two (supposedly) in depth studies into Scottish football which were supposed to identify the problems with the game here and provide solutions and an action plan going forward which would then lead to a vast improvement. One involved Ernie Walker and (I think) Rinus Michels. The second led by Henry McLeish (a failed and disgraced ex First Minister somehow perceived as an authority on football based on the fact he once played for East Fife). I have no recollection of any of the solutions they offered but clearly whatever they were they didn’t work given the current state of the game which if anything has continued to go backwards. No doubt those involved were handsomely rewarded for whatever it was they did - jobs for the boys indeed.

Robertson is definitely international quality.
The trouble is the rest of the defence.
Charlie Mulgrew is truly awful but Scotland has no-one else to call on.
There are too many holes in this team
Robertson behave yourself he looks good in a very good Liverpool side but absolutely chronic when surrounded by average players and looks every inch that level.

I stuck on Sportsound after the match. Miller seemed quite critical of Clarke's management but I noticed whenever they were discussing tactics and team selection Gordon would dive in ''aye but where does Tierney fit in!''....

There is some talent but hopeless tactics and management. Surely McGinn, Fraser, Robertson, Forrest, Mcgregor, etc can pass the ball? Is it simply the terrible defence that puts entire team on the back foot from the off?

Watched the keeper in the slo-mo replays just to confirm what I was seeing in real-time, It was reactions or rather a lack of them at the first two goals ( was there more? I turned off at the second ) basically he had a clear sight of them and didn't react until the ball was about a yard from him you could see his mental reaction as his brain kicked in but by that time the ball was past him, IMO both were stoppable
Yip in slow motion he could have got them, you can't blame the keeper for the first two goals ffs they were fantastic strikes.

There is some talent but hopeless tactics and management. Surely McGinn, Fraser, Robertson, Forrest, Mcgregor, etc can pass the ball? Is it simply the terrible defence that puts entire team on the back foot from the off?

The defence is awful but Kris Boyd was spot on when he said certain players we (well actually, the Scottish media) rate highly are average players at best in the grand scheme of things.

Robertson behave yourself he looks good in a very good Liverpool side but absolutely chronic when surrounded by average players and looks every inch that level.

So is Klopp just playing him for fun then?

Robertson is a quality player. A first pick for the best side in Europe right now.

But aye, he's Scottish, so he must actually be crap. Imposter syndrome.

Just watched the highlights and that was hilarious and fucking embarrassing rolled into one.

The ruskies were like a cat fannying about with a mouse in the first half, then made a bit of an effort 2nd half and chased them.

I wish they would get a new name and stop embarrassing the country.

Well everyone turning up for dinner at the same time has made a real difference, eh?
Umpteen stories from Snodgrass about how Scotland were calling him up and not playing him, disrespecting him. Obvious from tonight as to why he wasn't being played.

Actually thought Clarke would do a decent job at Scotland given he made Killie half decent, can't be long before he gets the boot this is dreadful

Not that I give a shit about Scotland.
Perhaps its a plan.He gets Scotland that bad that the crowds dwindle so low that playing at Killi is perceived to be a good option stadiam wise.Then He can get back to launching it up the plastic pitch.

Political agendas have put the Scottish Football League where it is. It’s just a by-product of the current situation in this hateful country.

Question them 24-7. Put them in situations where they have no answers. But who would do that?
We have no media in this country that has not got an agenda to follow. Control the media and you control the population.

It’s happened before our eyes and we’ve been too stupid to see it.

Just watched the highlights and that was hilarious and fucking embarrassing rolled into one.

The ruskies were like a cat fannying about with a mouse in the first half, then made a bit of an effort 2nd half and chased them.

I wish they would get a new name and stop embarrassing the country.
It was as if it suddenly dawned on the Russians that we were actually crap and had little idea how to change it.

Political agendas have put the Scottish Football League where it is. It’s just a by-product of the current situation in this hateful country.

Question them 24-7. Put them in situations where they have no answers. But who would do that?
We have no media in this country that has not got an agenda to follow. Control the media and you control the population.

It’s happened before our eyes and we’ve been too stupid to see it.

Or maybe we're just shite. The team at the top of the Scottish league has one player good enough for selection and he's injured.
It's pretty simple really.

Or maybe we're just shite. The team at the top of the Scottish league has one player good enough for selection and he's injured.
It's pretty simple really.
In my view, they, not we, are just shite.
I have very, very little affiliation with what we used to call “our” national team. The people who have ran and continue to control our national game, are not in there for the good of the sport. They are in those positions because of like minded people.
Scottish football is corrupt to it’s core.

So is Klopp just playing him for fun then?

Robertson is a quality player. A first pick for the best side in Europe right now.

But aye, he's Scottish, so he must actually be crap. Imposter syndrome.
No he's playing him as he does well for Liverpool with better players around him but all that falls apart when he plays for Scotland with average players, he should look better than he does but instead he looks as poor as the rest of them not a sign of a quality player.

No he's playing him as he does well for Liverpool with better players around him but all that falls apart when he plays for Scotland with average players , he should look better than he does but instead he looks as poor as the rest of them not a sign of a quality player.
Ridiculous analysis. The same sort of attitude that was shown to Gary Mac by the Tartan Army when he played for Scotland towards the end. He was playing with players in Scotland that were clueless or well past their prime, which in turn made him look awful. The runs McGinley etc. Were making for him were bizarre. He ended up retiring. Then much later signed for Liverpool and showed that with proper players making the right movements (being at an elite wavelength) he was still a formidable player. In hindsight it was the beginning of the end for Scotland as a reasonable team.

Ridiculous analysis. The same sort of attitude that was shown to Gary Mac by the Tartan Army when he played for Scotland towards the end. He was playing with players in Scotland that were clueless or well past their prime, which in turn made him look awful. The runs McGinley etc. Were making for him were bizarre. He ended up retiring. Then much later signed for Liverpool and showed that with proper players making the right movements (being at an elite wavelength) he was still a formidable player. In hindsight it was the beginning of the end for Scotland as a reasonable team.
Honest analysis after watching him play and look mediocre for Scotland I guessing most on here never watch him playing for Scotland given the comments.
I have mentioned he plays better with better players around him bar Napoli:rolleyes: but a good player can still look good in a poor team something he fails to do.

Back