Ryan Jack today Opinions?

He was decent, strong in tackle but doesn't cover the ground quickly enough for me and offers nothing in an attacking sense, everything goes backwards or sideways.

To be a top performer in the role he plays, it's not enough to simply keep the ball. Those little 10 yard passes need to be perfect, the receiver shouldn't have to break stride and should not be put under undue pressure. I don't see that from Jack. No doubt the stats men will shoot me down, but for me it's not simply about pass completion, it's about the quality of the pass.

Jack actually reminds me of Derek McInnes in his playing style , and truth be told, he plays at a similar level.

I thought he had a great game and was also having to compensate for an absent ejaria and at times arfield. Without him in midfield the game would have been a far bigger struggle. Candieas was my motm today though

Every time there’s space in front of him he doesn’t drive forward or look for the forward pass. Neat and tidy, simple balls all the time. Drive on son!! Your manager would’ve done so, Arfield does so, Dorrans would if fit.

Believe!!!

I didn’t think he was that great, but then I thought our entire midfield disappeared until Coulibaly came on to shore things up so perhaps I’m labelling them all the same. I’m in row H, fairly low down and sometimes you can’t get a full appreciation of how players are playing from that viewpoint.

I don’t think any of our midfield were great tbh - which makes the win all the more pleasing. I do think we could do with more midfield options in January.

Did anyone else see him and Morelos almost squaring up to each other? Jack was shouting at him and he ran from the half way line towards our box towards Jack, I think it was Arfield that stopped him going forward.

For me personally, he’s never being anything more than a tidy, move it back or sideways type SPFL player. I appreciate we need players like that, to a certain degree. To keep improving and challenging for the league and cups on a regular basis, we need more than that from our midfielders.

Which ones, if any, would you replace before him?

For me personally, he’s never being anything more than a tidy, move it back or sideways type SPFL player. I appreciate we need players like that, to a certain degree. To keep improving and challenging for the league and cups on a regular basis, we need more than that from our midfielders.

This for me, RJ is a neat and tidy player but as the poster above says to be winning trophies on a regular basis we need better !

thought he played well . strolled through the first half but went into a lull as livi came back into the game . finished the game well . deserved man of the match for me .

Probably sounds patronising as f*ck but too many people don't understand his role in the team. People expect him to be scoring and assisting, dribbling past players. He's very good at what he does and he was very good today.

Needs to step it up in the bigger games. Midweek and next week will be a test for Jack.

Our midfield still looks weak, a few quality additions are clearly required.

Pretty easy to talk down the performances of those playing in the "ugly" positions. Thought first half he maybe misplaced a few simple passes which is frustrating but all in all broke up play well - decent enough performance IMO.

I was gobsmacked he got the sponsors MOTM. I thought he was part of our problem today for the first 60 mins. What is everyone’s opinion?

You don’t know what you are talking about probably!!! Seriously though, he was immense. His job is to break up the opposition and give then ball to better players, and pretty much all game today he did. At one point today I did think how much the gaffer would love his performance today...it was guys like Jack that enabled Gerrard, Scholes and Lampard to drive forward as they did.

Today was what he contributes. Gets stuck in. Does some good. Cant shoot. A 6.5 out of 10 sort of player. Though today he was more a 7 or 7.5

Very good first half. Below par 2nd I thought but I think that was more bacause ejaria went missing

Was there and me and my mate thought he was the best player on the park by a distance. If his game is meant to be all about breaking up play and distributing ball from the defence, he did it.

He also broke through the livingston defensive line more than ejaria.

I'm quite surprised there are doubt about his contribution today, but each to their own and all that. I thought ejaria was quite anonymous and ineffective over the 90 mins so was expecting him to be getting some stick.

You don’t know what you are talking about probably!!! Seriously though, he was immense. His job is to break up the opposition and give then ball to better players, and pretty much all game today he did. At one point today I did think how much the gaffer would love his performance today...it was guys like Jack that enabled Gerrard, Scholes and Lampard to drive forward as they did.
I thought he just wasn’t the best today. Livingston was pressing us all over the place. For me Jack was playing too deep which left Ovie being exposed.

Ryan jack is our only midfielder I trust versus them. The rest the jury is out big style. Today he was 7/10 and played fine. He was surrounded by Ejaria who was awful.

Ryan jack doesn’t do much wrong at all but I just feel he just isn’t good enough to be centre midfielder for rangers, great player to have in squad but I’d be hoping for a better CM to boss a game

The problem our midfield have is when we don't have the ball,,, Jack was the only one who sat in front of the defence, arfield and ejaria were both good on the ball but didn't do enough tracking back

See when Warburton was in charge and everyone identified we needed a defensive midfielder? What did those who don't get what Jack brings to the team have in mind?

He breaks up so many attacks, often before they've started purely by his positioning and reading of the game.

No, he's not gonna be threading defence splitting passes, or scoring 30 yarders. That's not his role either, that's the No10 that everyone has now identified we need.

For me, he's a 7 out of 10 every game, much like Sasa Papac was - reliable, consistent and a no-brainer when picking the team. The sort of player title winning teams are built upon.

Decent at breaking up play.

His passing is worse than bad and puts us under pressure in deep areas when he somehow misplaces a two yard pass.

Really ?

I know he scored but don’t let that cloud the issue here, his final ball and crossing is very poor.
If it was better/more consistent he wouldn't be with us. His work rate and effort are second to none and I'd also suggest looking at his assists. 3 goals in 3 games not to be sniffed at either.

If it was better/more consistent he wouldn't be with us. His work rate and effort are second to none and I'd also suggest looking at his assists. 3 goals in 3 games not to be sniffed at either.
EPL bound?

Or do you need a few more beers to offer that up?

How much could he go for?

He was okay, what was the issue with Morelos? Both were at it with each other before Alfredo scored. Then jack never celebrated with him

I thought morelos was our best player today, the rest huffed and puffed.
Remember its was only livvy at home.
There were times when we were all over the place.
A very boring game until morelos came on.
Lafferty aint the answer on that performance.

That sounds like Scott Brown and despite hi being a massive c*nt he's been a massive player for them over the years because he keeps it simple. Not every player has to be/can be a Busquets or Gattuso. Jack is really good at what he does and we would be worse off without him. Think some have forgot what it was like under Warburton when we were crying out for a player like Jack

He and our midfield done zero pressing when Livingston was all over us. Not saying he was bad but would have gave him a 6.5 maybe 7. Thought Gareth was MOTM.
Okay, so it’s all about what each of us feels his role is. I’d suggest that his game is not about pressing. He just breaks up attacking play then gives the ball to a player more likely to create. His stats show that he is probably without peer in that space. Jack is the kind of player you notice when he’s not there. Today wasn’t his best game, but he was still easily the best player in blue over 90 minutes.

Thought we let them play the way they wanted,should have concentrated on or own game, saying that think livi are better than we give them credit for

Back