Ryan Jack today Opinions?

I thought Jack was easily our best player first half. Suffered a bit, along with all the others, until Morelos came on and made the game safe. Put it this way, the only other contender for MOTM was Morelos and he only played half an hour.

Okay, so it’s all about what each of us feels his role is. I’d suggest that his game is not about pressing. He just breaks up attacking play then gives the ball to a player more likely to create. His stats show that he is probably without peer in that space. Jack is the kind of player you notice when he’s not there. Today wasn’t his best game, but he was still easily the best player in blue over 90 minutes.
I’m not saying he was our worst player though. Would have gave him 6.5 to 7 out of 10.

I would have chose Jack as our motm today aswell. Thought both centre backs were solid today too. For those saying he was poor, who would you have chosen for motm?

He was the best of the midfield 3 today by a distance.

Is he good enough to get us where we need to be? I’m not convinced, but .....maybe...

He was very good today (as were Goldson and McAuley, which perhaps tells you that it was a tough game; and Morelos was outstanding for the half hour he was on). I would hate to have seen how poor our midfield would have been today had it not been for Jack keeping a semblance of order in there.

Have to agree with this summary. Jack does the simple things well, keeps the play ticking over and always makes himself available to take the ball and move it on. Jack or McAulay were MOTM for me.

I've been highly critical of our midfield in recent weeks. I think it's one of our weakest areas. All our good play and goals come from the wings and games bypass our middle 3.

Jack recycle possession nicely enough but doesn't really take games by the scruff of the neck or create anything.
Ejaria's a good player, keeps possession but again doesn't really make things happen with it. He's young, inexperienced and I think a bit overexposed at the moment.
Arfield's getting better I'll give him that. But we lack a Barry Ferguson type in the middle who demands the ball and drives us forward.

In contract to the tims midfield you've got Ntcham, McGregor, Rogic, Christie who literally everything goes through. They set the tempo, make things happen and chip in with goals.

I'm hoping to see the midfield upgraded sooner rather than later. Not ruling out Rossiter being the man to fill one of those positions either.

Head and and shoulders above everyone on the park today. He's quite simply a superb footballer and Gerard knows it. When fit he should be the first name on the team sheet. He's a players player, does the simple unglamorous work and does it well. He never hides and never stops working to break up the opposition...........the best thing Pedro did in his time here was signing Jack.

Did anyone else see him and Morelos almost squaring up to each other? Jack was shouting at him and he ran from the half way line towards our box towards Jack, I think it was Arfield that stopped him going forward.

No? I was at the game and never saw this or heard anyone mention it? What happened

They were all decent, Jack included. Not poor and not excellent!
Livi deserve credit for sticking to the plan which was to defend, make it hard and spoil the game. We stuck to ours and put in a dogged performance to grind out a good result. Well done boys. Next!!

He was average at best
livy didn't give him a touch in the second half and most of the first ffs

still the same could be said for all

motm meh

least worst maybe

He was the best of the midfield 3 today by a distance.

Is he good enough to get us where we need to be? I’m not convinced, but .....maybe...

I don’t think he is...but there was nothing wrong with his performance today.

He’s not going to tear it up with runs from midfield into the box or play a deft pass when the chance is there - neither will he hit a screamer from outside the box when the chance arises.

He’s solid and reliable most of the time but nothing more.

They were all decent, Jack included. Not poor and not excellent!
Livi deserve credit for sticking to the plan which was to defend, make it hard and spoil the game. We stuck to ours and put in a dogged performance to grind out a good result. Well done boys. Next!!
Livi deserve no credit for anything and got exactly what a thuggish team like them deserve. As between them and Motherwell I wouldn’t like to say which is more thuggish. They kick everything that moves yet go down like they have been shot when anyone so much as breathes on them. All under the noses of our disgraceful referees. Look at Scottish football and how it is criticised for being poor and overly physical - then look at these two teams who are lauded, despite epitomising a lot that is wrong with Scottish football. Screw them.

I don’t think he is...but there was nothing wrong with his performance today.

He’s not going to tear it up with runs from midfield into the box or play a deft pass when the chance is there - neither will he hit a screamer from outside the box when the chance arises.

He’s solid and reliable most of the time but nothing more.
Exactly mate- he’s a steady Eddie squad player.
I would say the same for Arfield as well actually.

I can't see Jack as a Rangers player long term, he's neat and tidy but has zero goal threat and just doesn't have the quality to take us to a title. Midfield is the weakest area of our team.

For me he is one of the first names on the team sheet, Midfield wise he protects the defence and keeps the game going, a deserved MOTM today and an asset to the team.

He was good first half, but quite poor for most of the second half.

Even though we won 3-0 today, I probably would have given MOTM to Goldson.

The OP does not give an alternative, nor gives a reason why Jack shouldn't have earned MOTM. In a top side with better quality Jack should win man of the match more often than not

Head and and shoulders above everyone on the park today. He's quite simply a superb footballer and Gerard knows it. When fit he should be the first name on the team sheet. He's a players player, does the simple unglamorous work and does it well. He never hides and never stops working to break up the opposition...........the best thing Pedro did in his time here was signing Jack.

Apart from Alfie you mean ? :D

I was gobsmacked he got the sponsors MOTM. I thought he was part of our problem today for the first 60 mins. What is everyone’s opinion?

Don't agree. He was our best player followed by McCauley, until Morelos came on. Highly intelligent, broke up loads of their moves. And to be honest Ejaria and Arfield disappeared for long spells so he was left digging in on his own. Quite disappointed in Ejaria second half as he played ok first half.

Livi deserve no credit for anything and got exactly what a thuggish team like them deserve. As between them and Motherwell I wouldn’t like to say which is more thuggish. They kick everything that moves yet go down like they have been shot when anyone so much as breathes on them. All under the noses of our disgraceful referees. Look at Scottish football and how it is criticised for being poor and overly physical - then look at these two teams who are lauded, despite epitomising a lot that is wrong with Scottish football. Screw them.

Agree. I will never give teams like them credit. Anti football.

Would he have got a game in any of our most recent title winning sides? I don't think he's anywhere near the level required.

A limited footballer lacking many of the attributes needed to be a first pick Rangers midfielder. I'd also question his stamina, always looks knackered after an hour.

As I've said, reminds me of McInnes and he was a decent squad player, certainly not a first pick. Actually not even convinced he's any better than Halliday in that position

I don't get the adulation of Ryan Jack.

Stevie G seems to disagree and I value his opinion more.

I hope Stevie G does rate him as highly as you say, I'm not convinced. He's played Coulibaly and Halliday in Jack's position, when the former especially hadn't merited a start ahead of Jack.

Jack would be an automatic starter for me long with Shagger, Tav, Goldson and Morelos.

Jack isn't there to offer a goal threat or make things happen in the fnal third. He's there to break up opposition attacks and I think he's very good at it. I think some people want him to do something he's not there to do.

The OP does not give an alternative, nor gives a reason why Jack shouldn't have earned MOTM. In a top side with better quality Jack should win man of the match more often than not
Simply couldn’t understand why he was given MOTM. As simple as that and wanted what folks opinions were. Did I need to give an alternative.

Back