Ryan Kent - 4 Year Deal - £7m - Confirmed!

We wouldn't do it in normal circumstances, but he proved last season that he's already great and potentially outstanding along with being one of the best player/club fits I think I've seen.

We'll easily make our money back.

+ If King thinks it's reasonable, it's reasonable to me.
He had a sporadic start of the season but a good ending . I wouldn't have thought we are in a position to spend 6.5 million on someone who is potentially a great player . Only time will tell .

He had a sporadic start of the season but a good ending . I wouldn't have thought we are in a position to spend 6.5 million on someone who is potentially a great player . Only time will tell .

He's not potentially a great player, he is a great player. But he's got the potential to go as far as he wants.

Kent makes so much sense for our team.

Apart from being able to carry the ball 30-40 yards upfield at pace, he tracks back well too. If we had a strong option at LB then our balance would be perfect.

Just looking at Sunday. Aribo needs to take the ball to feet and with his back to the RB. It meant we were funnelled into that position every time we had the ball and then we were closed out.

With Aribo back into midfield and Kent ahead of him, there’s two real advantages straight away. Firstly both Kent and Aribo are good at winning the ball and allowing us to move the ball on quickly and secondly Kent wants to stand up the Full Back so he wants Aribo playing the ball in behind to run onto or he wants the ball to feet facing the player. Both these outcomes allow us to attack and press much more aggressively.

Kent being two footed also allows him to link in well with Arfield if he switches wings.

The price tag doesn’t bother me in the slightest, you have to pay the price to get the player in the position that you want. Aribo has looked jaded recently, probably too many matches for a young guy so quickly when finding his feet. Kent will give him a better option As the play will be more stretched as the opposition will double up on Kent.

Big, big signing for us.

Surprised some are questioning this deal, remember, Gerrard was a world call footballer so knows a player and having had this kid play and train with him for a year he obviously rates him very highly being his number 1 target, thats good enough for me

lego-eater.gif

This was quite funny over on KDS this morning :)) i wouldn't take that donkey O'Donnell on a free

I’d have been more concerned if they bought Taylor, and O’Donnell from Kilmarnock - and loaned Elyannousi
Has O'Donnell signed for the filth?

I'm delighted he's back. We absolutely needed more attacking quality and our Kenty is a starter. This and the news that Jones will only be out for a month to six weeks made yesterday a very good day indeed.

I am so glad that we signed Kent, I think he will be a wonderful addition to the squad, as other posters have said he will complement and enhance existing players - Aribo, Ojo. Arfield and Morelos. And then there is what he brings to the team himself, I llove his ability to run at teams, I wish more players would do this. As he was here last year, he knows that to expect and having experienced our run in Europe last season, he will be better equipped and more knowledgeable about what is in store.

Watching this thread for close on 10 hours yesterday, was exciting, full of hope and desire to get the signing done. Also, the witty comments kept me going. It wasn't until 22.30 tgat I succumbed to having a drink, only to calm the nerves, and then after he was signed , one to toast Ryan Kent joining the world's most successful club.

Thank you to the board for getting this deal done.

Reactions: TQ3

Its overblown how ‘sporadic’ his start was, it was only for a few games right at the start. In the Europa league group stages he was highest in the tournament at successful dribbles before he got injured. Against Rapid and Spartak at home he was outstanding, it’s probably fair to say our campaign lost its way when he got injured and missed the final 3 games.

I’m looking forward to seeing him now that he is our player, settled and with the confidence that the fans and management wanted him back so much, and also other players, like Ojo, Aribo will hopefully take confidence from the way a guy of a similar age and background plays without fear and start expressing themselves more.

Its overblown how ‘sporadic’ his start was, it was only for a few games right at the start. In the Europa league group stages he was highest in the tournament at successful dribbles before he got injured. Against Rapid and Spartak at home he was outstanding, it’s probably fair to say our campaign lost its way when he got injured and missed the final 3 games.

I’m looking forward to seeing him now that he is our player, settled and with the confidence that the fans and management wanted him back so much, and also other players, like Ojo, Aribo will hopefully take confidence from the way a guy of a similar age and background plays without fear and start expressing themselves more.
don't get me wrong i'm delighted he's here , it's the price that concerns me .

Looking forward to what he'll add to us. He is going to create space as teams will need to double up on him. He'll also up his goals and assists from last season too.

"Yeez only signed him cos he scored against us and punched Broonie"

These people are fucking mental.

I still can't believe we've got him back. I've gone from being totally dejected after Sunday, to feeling utterly inspired that we can win the league! It's tremendous. :cool:

I totally agree that Kent ahead of Aribo and Barisic (based on his 45 against Legia, I think he'll come good!) makes our left side extremely balanced, talented and dangerous. With Tav and Arfield on the right, and Davis, Jack and Morelos through the middle, we look a different proposition.

Might be worth giving King a game or two and resting Arfield who clearly looks jaded. Pity about Jones, but we've got Barker to come back in who I think will also be a good option for us.

#kentwilltearyouapartagain

I hope the lad has broad shoulders because he's going to be carrying a helluva load for a few years.

But the football fan in me is giggling like a wee schoolgirl, Kent is the type of player who gets you off your seat.

don't get me wrong i'm delighted he's here , it's the price that concerns me .

Which is fair enough, we’re probably paying the Premiership premium, but for that we’re getting a signing with minimum risk, we know he fits in, we know he suits the league and maybe most importantly we know he has the mentality.

Put it this way if he’d signed for Brugge yesterday for 7 million I think we’d all have been a bit pissed off that the board never pushed the boat out to back the manager for the one player he really wanted.

Which is fair enough, we’re probably paying the Premiership premium, but for that we’re getting a signing with minimum risk, we know he fits in, we know he suits the league and maybe most importantly we know he has the mentality.

Put it this way if he’d signed for Brugge yesterday for 7 million I think we’d all have been a bit pissed off that the board never pushed the boat out to back the manager for the one player he really wanted.
the premiership premium should be enough to rule us out of any signings from that over-priced league .
agree totally on him being a good fit for us and hopefully he pushes on and becomes a real star and that we will find it difficult to hold on to him in later years .

i think at 7 mill most(well , maybe!!!) would realise it was beyond us. i think around the 4-5mill mark would be enough for us . Obviously the money men at Ibrox see it differently which , in itself may be seen as reassuring .

without going into the rights and wrongs and going back and forward , we have just spent the largest transfer outlay since Flo and the heady , false economy days of Murray's reign .

ps...........i do sincerely hope that many , including your good self , can come back to my posts on this thread and tell me i was wrong .:)):)):));)

I can't wait to play them again, it should be in the semi or final of the league cup

Attack them from the 1st whistle, play Kent and either Barker or an improved Ojo, go at the full backs and see how they handle Kent because they couldn't last season.

Gerrard will never do something as stupid as that again

I thought that after the first game against them last season.

I thought that after the first game against them last season.
We had Lafferty playing on the left that game and it was his first old firm, i can understand him taking an ultra cautious approach considering what had happened the previous years.

Now however there is no excuse.

Part of me thinks Gerrard was trying to be smart, doing something out of the box that if it paid off he would look like a genius, i am sure i am wrong and it was just a case of a bad mistake.

the premiership premium should be enough to rule us out of any signings from that over-priced league .
agree totally on him being a good fit for us and hopefully he pushes on and becomes a real star and that we will find it difficult to hold on to him in later years .

i think at 7 mill most(well , maybe!!!) would realise it was beyond us. i think around the 4-5mill mark would be enough for us . Obviously the money men at Ibrox see it differently which , in itself may be seen as reassuring .

without going into the rights and wrongs and going back and forward , we have just spent the largest transfer outlay since Flo and the heady , false economy days of Murray's reign .

ps...........i do sincerely hope that many , including your good self , can come back to my posts on this thread and tell me i was wrong .:)):)):));)

You’re not saying anything wrong, I just think there’s more reasons to have went for it than not.

For a long time most on here thought he'd be back to us on loan. That in itself would have come with a hefty loan fee with no stake in the player at the end of it. I think the Board will have taken that into account in its thinking when agreeing a permanent fee constructed in stage payments making him one of our own.

We had Lafferty playing on the left that game and it was his first old firm, i can understand him taking an ultra cautious approach considering what had happened the previous years.

Now however there is no excuse.

Part of me thinks Gerrard was trying to be smart, doing something out of the box that if it paid off he would look like a genius, i am sure i am wrong and it was just a case of a bad mistake.

That’s exactly what I thought.

He’s tried to do something off the wall, Advocaat and Tugay springs to mind, however it’s blown up in his face and now Aribo has had a horror show and we’re all questioning why Morelos was benched.

He has overthought it my opinion. We’re good enough to beat them doing things our way without the need to make things complicated for ourselves.

Last edited:
i had a mhank telling me he never even scored against them because it hit of the keeper before it went in and should be a own goal hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reactions: VGM
That’s exactly what I thought.

He’s tried to do something off the wall, Advocaat and Tugay springs to mind, however it’s blown up in his face and now Aribo has had a horror show and we’re all questioning what Morelos was benched.

He has overthought it my opinion. We’re good enough to beat them doing things our way without the need to make things complicated for ourselves.
I know mate, i hope we are both wrong because there is no time for ego or trying to look smart in these games, the more i think about the selection and tactiCs the more i can't quite believe it.

It was a surreal match.

Why are we charging £0.99 to see his interview?

What a piss take

It’s how we’re paying for Kent.

When you pay the 99p it goes straight to Liverpool.

That way when anyone watches it then they’re helping to pay for the best winger in the country.

Given how many celtc fans watch our stuff they can at least be safe in the knowledge they’re helping us strengthen.

I know mate, i hope we are both wrong because there is no time for ego or trying to look smart in these games, the more i think about the selection and tactiCs the more i can't quite believe it.

It was a surreal match.

I genuinely don’t think he was trying to be too clever, it was 10 of the same starting line up from May, except Aribo for Kent.

The main mistake was thinking Aribo could play that position and offer anything like Kent did in a position that clearly didn’t suit him.

I’ve seen folk say he was ‘scared’ or ‘shat it’, I don’t think thats the case at all, he just misjudged it and coupled with nearly every player having a stinker it was just a really bad day all round.

I genuinely don’t think he was trying to be too clever, it was 10 of the same starting line up from May, except Aribo for Kent.

The main mistake was thinking Aribo could play that position and offer anything like Kent did in a position that clearly didn’t suit him.

I’ve seen folk say he was ‘scared’ or ‘shat it’, I don’t think thats the case at all, he just misjudged it and coupled with nearly every player having a stinker it was just a really bad day all round.
Yea it was a strange one for Aribo, he did lose a few 50/50's but he also got back and won a few aswell, i am not concerned about Aribo at all, it was a massive shock to him as he has never played anything like the cauldron of an old firm.

He has lots of ability and we just have to be a bit patient with him

Yea it was a strange one for Aribo, he did lose a few 50/50's but he also got back and won a few aswell, i am not concerned about Aribo at all, it was a massive shock to him as he has never played anything like the cauldron of an old firm.

He has lots of ability and we just have to be a bit patient with him

Have no concerns about Aribo.He has already shown he will be a real asset for us this season.Gerrard has to play him in his best position though not like Sunday.He totally nullified the guy’s worth.Big mistake.

Aribo didn't seem prepared for the game on Sunday and playing in the more advanced role didn't suit him and made it worse for him. He will have learned a whole lot about the fixture now and the demands, both and mental and physical, on the players. He will be a different player the next time we play them.

Back