Scott Arfield

I’d also add that he was very poor up until January. Nowhere near worth the wages he is picking up

Bizarrely he was probably one of our only player that got pass marks from January to March but for me, just not good enough

Arfield, Davis and Kamara will rotate in and out of the squad.

Jack and Aribo will probably be the most consistent starters of our midfield. Along with hopefully with a new addition.

Depth is important not only to cover injuries etc. but for competition and change things when we are in a bit of a slump.

Will play a good party this season , would play him every single old firm game as he hates the bastards and relishes the battle and game

If your criteria for playing against that lot was to be applied, you could pick anyone from 50,000 at Ibrox to play in the game.

Bench player at best

Arfield gets off lightly for last season, on the basis he had 6 good games, post split.

Likeable guy, good round the dressing room, but he can’t start and win a league now.

There were games last season where more than any other player it took me twenty or thirty minutes to realise he was even playing.

He simply isn’t good enough to be anything other than a sub.

Not a starter, but wouldnt mind holding on to him. Hes a goal threat, something a bit different to davis jack and kamara. I think he’ll play his part this season

He can cover centrally and most advanced positions behind the striker too. He also has the ability to turn up in big matches so he will be fine as cover this season.

Arfield gets off lightly for last season, on the basis he had 6 good games, post split.

Likeable guy, good round the dressing room, but he can’t start and win a league now.
I agree.I was really hoping when he signed he would ‘make’ the difference.
Truthfully for me not fulfilled the promise we envisaged.Well... I did!
Better than Dorrans certainly, but drifted out of games too easily for me.
A Gerrard favorite so he will be around for a while yet.

Firstly - I want to say I rate Arfield highly & am grateful for all his contribution so far

He works hard - he's tidy on the ball most of the time - he never hides & is capable of a decent pass & can chip in with the odd goal
He does all the simple things really well

What I would also say though - there is a limited amount in his repertoire
He's rarely going to provide lots of innovation or creativity -

To be fair those playing alongside him can be a bit short of this as well- but SA has perhaps the least amount

A lot of our games are won without much creativity - so maybe SA can still be useful to us - it's just that I'd prefer to have as much as possible in our squad

A likeable supplementary player, probably one of our higher paid squad players but still useful to have around.

A solid squad option that can cover a couple of roles. Expect he’ll be happy to fill that role until his contract’s up

Good cover. Can’t see him starting to many games

Thing is though he's not good cover. I love Arfield but he needs a steady run in the side for us to get the best out of him.

As a impact sub or someone who starts games here and there he's as good as a man down at times.

I'd happily see him moved on.

Poor touch, poor control, no pace, wayward passing, shots are like a back pass, poor positioning and link up.

Not for me.

Last edited:
I'd happily see him moved on.

Poor touch, poor control, no pace, wayward passing, shots are like a back pass, poor positioning and link up.

Not for me.
Do you really think he would be anywhere near the match day squad if he was that bad?

If the chance comes we should look to move him on but he's a squad player for the foreseeable future.

Can't help but feel he drifts in and out of games and he's very slow.

We need to upgrade him within the next 12 months.

Really like Arfield a lot, but he’s another player I just can’t envisage being a regular starter in a title winning side. Forms up and down way too often. Heard folk say he was great at times last season, which is true, only sad part is like much of the rest of them, he was also brutal at times, too many games where he couldn’t even get the first touch right never mind a pass.
Wow this a a real shocker, I am in agreement with you!!!! :D

A bit like Jamie Murphy he is a player I really wanted to succeed and he looked the real deal but as things have progressed he hasn't.

(Although I do disagree with negative bold bit)

Cover in 5 positions, big game player and experience pro. There will be plenty of battles home and abroad where Arfield will be utilised. Clearly not in the gaffers first XI so hard to gauge his form but he was one of the few who got pass marks post January break

I agree. He will play a part this season. He offers a decent goal threat too.

Watching him this season, I get the impression he knows he will be a bit part player and seems content with that.
Could be wrong.

Agree with every word.

I like Arfield but it's clear in order for us to win the league the squad needs to keep evolving.

Decent squad player to have but no more no less now.

Even that tackle with Considine the other week, shocker as it was, it all started with Arfield miscontrolling the ball trying to carry it forward.
In essense your right and that's what has happened airfield was a starter and it's now more of a sub

I think he's worth keeping for this year at least

Very good standard of player to come off the bench in the spfl. Can see him starting about 15 games this season, and coming off the bench just as much.

Thought last year he played well in euro games. Seems to rise to the big occasion well so I'd definitely keep him

Decent back up. Would hope he starts the majority of european games.

Overall I wouldn’t mind seeing considerable rotation between Thursday / Sunday.

Can't see him getting many starts but a player I would very much like to have around the team. He is still a very useful player.
This for me too. When going for a title you need players who will maybe only contribute in parts. Arfield is an intelligent player, who could make the difference in few games this season.

Hasnt hit the heights i thought he would when he first signed. Bit disappointed with his time here overall. I think we should see if we can sell him on hes probably on big wages that could be better spent.

Captain Canada obviously had personal and physical issues that hobbled him on and off the park..
the past12/18months..

Based on how he’s shown up this season.. I’d suggest his hard times are behind him and we are better for it...

He’ll be here next season..

Firstly - I want to say I rate Arfield highly & am grateful for all his contribution so far

He works hard - he's tidy on the ball most of the time - he never hides & is capable of a decent pass & can chip in with the odd goal
He does all the simple things really well

What I would also say though - there is a limited amount in his repertoire
He's rarely going to provide lots of innovation or creativity -

To be fair those playing alongside him can be a bit short of this as well- but SA has perhaps the least amount

A lot of our games are won without much creativity - so maybe SA can still be useful to us - it's just that I'd prefer to have as much as possible in our squad

After re-reading my post above made in August - it's now Humble pie eating time for me

He's been in great form since then & what was it I said about creativity ? I was very wrong- obviously

If anything he's been one of our most innovative players creating as much if not more than his teammates - converting mid-field possession into attack almost effortlessly at times

I hope he continues along the same lines & I'm happy to be proven wrong

Back